Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

PROFILING - TO HELL WITH PC & ITS TWISTED DOCTRINES!
Ether Zone ^ | 10/3/01 | Elysian Hunter

Posted on 10/03/2001 5:56:52 AM PDT by Elkiejg

Profiling is a word that has been given notariety in the recent and hopefully soon-to-be defunct PC movement. The idea of profiling citizens leaves a bad residue in the mouths of those who believe in avoiding myriad PC taboos, because a complete profile considers such factors as race, age, religion and gender. It is common sense that certain behaviors and certain crimes are more common in certain demographic groups. Statistical evidence proves this out. Profiling is a credible scientific means of isolating and capturing perpetrators of crime. It was developed by our very own FBI, under the auspices of the Behavioral Sciences Unit. Anyone who has read the books by John Douglas and Mark Olshaker- Mindhunter and Obsession, knows that profiling has been an invaluable tool in finding and ultimately prosecuting serial killers and other violent offenders. Profiling can be a useful tool in finding and capturing terrorists and their lackeys, yet much ado is being made about its use because one of the factors used in profiling is race.

If a law enforcement agent is looking for a likely serial killer, he will look not only at the victims' race, age, gender, education, employment and general habits but will use this information to form a profile of the likely perpetrator. A white victim will most likely have been killed by a white perpetrator. A black victim will most likely have been killed by a black perpetrator. Younger men kill more often and more violently than older men. Women seldom kill at all and when they do it tends to be by passive means such as poison or in self defense. Certain crimes are more common among certain personality styles, belief systems, age groups, gender and race. Statistical evidence supports these theories, which is the reason that law enforcement agencies use them. If you're looking for a serial killer, Granny's Bingo session or Republican Women's meeting in the church basement is the wrong place to start. Caucasian and Asian women over age 35 are statistically the least likely groups to commit violent crimes.

Which leads us back to our country's war on terrorism. We have profiles of the killers- Young to middle aged men of Mediterranean or Arabic descent, not American citizens, adherents to an extreme form of Islam. While the vast majority of Arabic people living in this country are here for honest purposes a very few are not. It is neither practical nor prudent to disallow basic civil liberties to those of Arabic descent simply on the basis of race, age or religion, but those factors are factors of many. It is both practical and prudent to use those factors to narrow one's search- much as investigators who were searching for Ted Bundy weren't wasting time looking for a black man or an Asian woman. They knew the perpetrator would be a white man not only by the nature of the crimes he committed but also by statements from survivors who escaped him. We also know that the probability of any remaining agents of Al-Queda in this country is that they will be also of Arabic descent, young males, and adherents to extremist factions of Islam.

If the aim is to increase airport security or to more closely monitor haz-mat trucking, profiling is essential in narrowing the field of potential terrorists. We know our enemy is not the good-ol-boy redneck trucker or the white-bread granny in the mini-van. Searches must be consistent- everyone should be checked out before boarding an airplane and haz-mat trucks and their drivers should follow regulations. But we must conduct searches bearing in mind what our potential enemy's profile will likely be. Unfortunately this knowledge of our potential enemies could lead to incidents in which airline passengers refuse to fly with groups of Arabic men or otherwise treat these men unfairly. Their race is but one factor of many- they can be scrutinized through appropriate channels- more complete security checks for all at airports- better tracking of suspicious financial behavior- those things are being done already. More can be done to prevent infiltration by potential terrorists such as higher scrutiny of guests in this country- where are they coming from and why? Should a visitor's country of origin trigger a more exhaustive search- for example we typically don't see Canadians or British try to dive-bomb our buildings or hold rallies where American flags are burned and everyone shouts "Death to America" but we do see this type of behavior coming from Arabic countries.

The argument that Timothy Mc Veigh's bombing of the Murrah Building in Oklahoma City didn't provoke an outlash against white males, therefore we can't profile terrorists using race as a factor, doesn't hold water. Logistically the assumption that all white males are potential crazed white supremacist bombers would be difficult because there are a large number of white males in this country, most of whom are clearly not white supremacists. The Skinhead movements and other "White Supremacy" movements ARE highly visible and are scrutinized by the FBI. Their activities, like the activities of potential foreign terrorists are monitored, and race and age, along with other demographic factors determine who is monitored and to what degree. The theories behind the Oklahoma City bombing indicate that Mc Veigh may not have been acting alone, and may even have had aid from insiders within the Clinton administration. There is NO evidence that the events of Black Tuesday can be traced to a domestic source, unless one counts the apathy of the Clinton administration, their dismal failures in foreign policy, and their lack of response to the bombing of the USS Cole and the destruction of our embassy in Nairobi.

Unlike the actions of Mc Veigh, who was not harbored nor assisted by any Christian organization, the atrocities of Black Tuesday were sanctioned by not only Bin-Laden and Al-Queda but also by the Taliban and other adherents to their twisted version of Islam. We know our enemies hate America, we know they hide in the shadows, we know they subscribe to a perverted version of a legitimate faith. Profiling is not a call to denial of civil liberties or the introduction of a police state but a call to common sense. If we know something about those who would perpetrate such harm- even if it isn't PC- we must use that information, not to witch-hunt but to make informed decisions upon who to investigate further.

President Bush is correct in that Muslims (of the faith of Mohammed) are NOT our enemies. We need to accord all citizens respect and cannot afford to deny essential rights and freedoms to all members of a specific group because we are afraid of a few. We have hopefully learned that from the internment camp disaster of WWII. Most Americans of Japanese descent of that time were loyal citizens- many fought and died bravely in the European Theatre- as US servicemen. What profiling can offer is an effective, scientifically proven tool to help find the "bad guys" while protecting the "good guys"- of all racial and ethnic backgrounds. To hell with PC and its twisted doctrines- being afraid to" offend", in this instance, is really being afraid to protect and defend- whose rights are violated then?

TOPICS: Culture/Society; Editorial; Front Page News
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-68 next last
Finally, a voice of sanity about Profiling!!!! Hey Congress - have you read this article??
1 posted on 10/03/2001 5:56:52 AM PDT by Elkiejg (elkiejg@aol.com)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Elkiejg
Well... how can we possibly celebrate our gorgeous diversity unless we are (sometimes painfully) aware of it?
2 posted on 10/03/2001 6:02:41 AM PDT by A Vast RightWing Conspirator
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Good article

One word of caution. The number of people who "fit the profile" is much greater than the number of those who are guilty. William Jewel is a prime example. He fit the profile of a bomber to a T, and had his reputation massively smeared as a result. However, he was completely innocent.

Profiling should be used to narrow the field of investigation, not as some sort of indication of guilt. It is no such thing.

3 posted on 10/03/2001 6:03:39 AM PDT by Restorer

We have another PC problem. Do we really intend to send women to fight in Taliban caves? If not, that narrows the combat men's chances of dying because the military recruited women as "equal" and yet does not send them into combat. While is may be politically correct to have women in the military, it is unfair to the males that will have to fight in their place. Another stupid policy brought to you by the liberal idiots (mainly democRATS) of America.
4 posted on 10/03/2001 6:04:17 AM PDT by Cowgirl

The first Caucasian Islamic radical to cause damage here
will change your "pc" attitude.

Many blacks are believers of Islam, I'm surprised you haven't
targeted them as yet.

5 posted on 10/03/2001 6:07:56 AM PDT by Deep_6

Unfortunately this knowledge of our potential enemies could lead to incidents in which airline passengers refuse to fly with groups of Arabic men or otherwise treat these men unfairly...

What do you mean 'could'? It already has been.

Logistically the assumption that all white males are potential crazed white supremacist bombers would be difficult because there are a large number of white males in this country, most of whom are clearly not white supremacists.

But he has no problem leaning on Arabs even though there are a large number of young Arab males in this country, most of whom are clearly not terrorists.

If we know something about those who would perpetrate such harm- even if it isn't PC- we must use that information, not to witch-hunt but to make informed decisions upon who to investigate further.

I'm surprised then that people aren't jumping on the profiling bandwagon that the Democrats have been harping on for years - gun control. Since only those with a handgun commits a hand gun crime then we must assume that everyone with a handgun is suspect and take them all away. Makes as much sense as the profiling mentioned here.

6 posted on 10/03/2001 6:10:21 AM PDT by Non-Sequitur

Two problems. First, for better or worse, the Constitution provides for equal protection under the law and due process. "Innocent until proven guilty" is inconvenient at times but there for a reason. Second, the terrorists understood standard FBI profiling pretty well and purposely did things to remove themselves from the profile. Look at the pictures. They are all shaved and wore western clothes on purpose to avoid getting attention from profiling.
7 posted on 10/03/2001 6:16:11 AM PDT by Question_Assumptions

To: Non-Sequitur
The fact happens to be that 100% of the terrorists who killed 6,000 fellow humans (mostly Americans) some 3 weeks ago were completely, and totally muslim A-rab men within a certain age group.

I would hope that 'the authorities' are not wasting their time considering 70-yr. old Jewish women or even Icelandic bi-sexuals.

8 posted on 10/03/2001 6:18:32 AM PDT by A Vast RightWing Conspirator
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: Non-Sequitur
re:
"...Since only those with a handgun commits a hand gun crime then
we must assume that everyone with a handgun is suspect and take
them all away.
Makes as much sense as the profiling mentioned here...."

Profiling is profiling. When will they learn?

9 posted on 10/03/2001 6:18:32 AM PDT by Deep_6
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: Restorer
That was Richard Jewel.
10 posted on 10/03/2001 6:26:02 AM PDT by workerbee
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

We keep hearing comparisons to Timothy McVeigh, that white males weren't profiled after the OKC bombing. But it seems to me that there was very definite profiling (media-driven) of militia members, gun "nuts", or anyone living in Montana or North Dakota who wore camouflage pants. So there most definitely was a particular white male who was profiled and reviled, to an even greater extreme than the media is now willing to profile Arabs.
11 posted on 10/03/2001 6:31:41 AM PDT by workerbee

To: workerbee
Sorry. My bad.
12 posted on 10/03/2001 6:39:13 AM PDT by Restorer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: A Vast RightWing Conspirator
I've flown six times since 9/11. Each time my luggage has been chosen for the "random" search. My ancestry is Swedish/German, presumably not a likely suspect.

I've also seen them hand-searching a little old lady, couldn't have been a day under 80. What threat did she pose?

13 posted on 10/03/2001 6:42:06 AM PDT by Restorer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: Deep_6
When they (blond or black Muslims) start flying planes into buildings, we SHOULD start profiling them.
14 posted on 10/03/2001 6:42:37 AM PDT by Republic of Texas
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

YES to Profiling. . .NO to PC. . .
15 posted on 10/03/2001 6:45:10 AM PDT by cricket

Sadly, the vast majority of the Members of Congress do NOT read anything but clippings in which their names are mentioned or the editorial pages of the Washington Post and the New York Times. Even then, with respect to the latter (i.e. editorial pages), their aides probably give them only a culled or "Cliff-notes" version. I have had more than one Member tell me that "[the average Member] has the attention span of a house fly." Of course, none thought he was average.
16 posted on 10/03/2001 6:47:57 AM PDT by magoo_70115

Of course profiling makes sense in certain situations. The problem with profiling is that many innocent people are subject to harassment from the police. What are these poeple supposed to do, stop looking like a young Arab, stop looking young and black, stop looking like a 16 year old punk? Last time I check our Constitution allowed inviduals to be innocent until proven otherwise. Some silly guys called the Founding Fathers set it up this way. I guess they were way out of line . . .
17 posted on 10/03/2001 6:54:21 AM PDT by realpatriot71

I'm wise to you Elkie. Who sent you, Hillary?
18 posted on 10/03/2001 7:05:48 AM PDT by Deep_6

To: Restorer
I've also seen them hand-searching a little old lady, couldn't have been a day under 80. What threat did she pose?

Remeber 'Total Recall'?

You see, a Swedish/German terrorist could pose as a little old lady. Right?

19 posted on 10/03/2001 7:09:09 AM PDT by A Vast RightWing Conspirator
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: Deep_6
What profiling can offer is an effective, scientifically proven tool to help find the "bad guys" while protecting the "good guys"- of all racial and ethnic backgrounds.

I believe that profiling is a useful tool. It has been used successfully to find drug smugglers at our borders and to apprehend drug pushers among our midst. I personally use profiling to guard against crime as I travel about Dallas. Who does not profile your neighbors, friends, and enemies? I am really really tired of this PC crap and those that sponsor it. I think they should be offended until they wet their pants.

20 posted on 10/03/2001 7:09:21 AM PDT by kapn kuek
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-68 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson