Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Towers of Intellect
The Wall Street Journal ^ | JAMES BOWMAN

Posted on 10/04/2001 9:34:29 PM PDT by Freedom Wins

Edited on 04/22/2004 11:45:34 PM PDT by Jim Robinson. [history]

Earlier this week, The Wall Street Journal, on its front page, told the sad story1 of Jennie Traschen, professor of physics at the University of Massachusetts, who had the bad luck at an Amherst town meeting on Sept. 10 to have called the American flag "a symbol of terrorism and death and fear and destruction and oppression."

(Excerpt) Read more at interactive.wsj.com ...

TOPICS: Editorial; Philosophy
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-28 next last

1 posted on 10/04/2001 9:34:29 PM PDT by Freedom Wins
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Freedom Wins
Oh, how nice! And here I was trying to piece together a list of these traitors willy nilly. Now, if I can just get those addresses ....
2 posted on 10/04/2001 9:45:57 PM PDT by mercy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: jmj333
Featuring your professor correspondent. :)
3 posted on 10/04/2001 9:53:44 PM PDT by gcruse

If there's one good thing to come out of all this, it's that these folks who have been festering in the dank recesses of academia for so long, hidden from the scrutiny of civilized society, have finally, finally, gotten the exposure they claimed they wanted all along.

Finally, people are paying attention to them, although I don't think it's quite the reaction they were hoping for ;)
4 posted on 10/04/2001 9:55:25 PM PDT by general_re

To: gcruse
Since this attack was in the heart of liberalism my feeling is this will not get a hugely positive response. And it won't play in Peoria.
5 posted on 10/04/2001 9:59:17 PM PDT by justshutupandtakeit
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Stupidity is a free commodity and yet these professors paid thousands of dollars for their education then still got it wrong!
6 posted on 10/04/2001 10:42:39 PM PDT by TerryInRiverside

So many "professors" in that article.

You know, I used to respect the trade of university professor.

Now, I am convinced that "professor" is a mental illness that needs to be coded into the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual! The only difference is that I don't know what the treatment would be for someone who came down with the illness of "professor." Perhaps exile would do!

7 posted on 10/04/2001 11:05:11 PM PDT by Jay W

Bump...
8 posted on 10/05/2001 5:24:39 AM PDT by TomServo

And another bump...
9 posted on 10/05/2001 11:13:57 AM PDT by TomServo

To: gcruse
Yep. You hit the nail on the head. Thanks for this bump, I enjoyed the article.
10 posted on 10/05/2001 6:01:40 PM PDT by JMJ333
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: Freedom Wins; general_re; TerryInRiverside; Jay W; JMJ333; TomServo; justshutupandtakeit
For such people, even a shock like that of Sept. 11 cannot persuade them that the likes of Osama bin Laden or the Taliban could possibly be coming after them.

I find it hard to believe that Mr. Bowman holds these creatures in enough esteem to think anything as trivial as their own life would be a consideration.

Taking a riff from Milo Minderbender in Joseph Heller's Catch 22, I believe such people could contract with bin Laden to poison the country with Anthrax because "what's good for our appearance of nonbiasness is good for the country."

If only they were at least venal as Milo to accept payment for their treason, they'd actually appear to be more rational and less hideous.

What this country sorely needs is an outright declaration of war so we can demand these vain megalomaniacs recant or suffer execution for sedition. I doubt if any would be insightful enough to offer as justification: "give me my illusions or give me death."

11 posted on 10/08/2001 8:35:26 PM PDT by Avoiding_Sulla

To: Avoiding_Sulla
We can't execute for sedition but there would be no need to since these idiots are perfect examples of total irrelevence. Let'm rave and that will bring much needed attention to the problem of the campuses across the nation. These left wing lunatics and the rest of the democrat fellowtravelers needed to be removed from positions of any influence.

I don't care about these idiots but demand the media stop propping up the true problems: the Hillarys, the Torrecellis, the Richardsons, the democrats who allowed Clinton to raze the security apparatus and looked the other way while Chinese agents surged through our Weapons Laboratories.

12 posted on 10/08/2001 9:46:28 PM PDT by justshutupandtakeit
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

And what are you going to do with your quarter of the sheet? ;)
13 posted on 10/08/2001 9:47:10 PM PDT by JMJ333

...like Prof. George Lakoff of Berkeley, whose response to an attack on his country was to analyze the phallic imagery of the falling towers or of "the planes as penetrating the towers with a plume of heat. The Pentagon, a vaginal image from the air, penetrated by the plane as missile."

Mr. Bowman writes:

People who can write with such moral imbecility are people who have forgotten who they are.

Priceless!

14 posted on 10/08/2001 9:56:35 PM PDT by Carolina

To: justshutupandtakeit
We can't execute for sedition...

If you know, please explain why not.

...but there would be no need to since these idiots are perfect examples of total irrelevance

I wish that were true. But most are paid to publish tomes containing policy prerogatives which most of us cannot stomach. So they are useful idiots to those in our Established Order who derive latitude of action simply due to the presence of many absurd ideas. Look at how many get to appear on TV and are granted equal time with, even deference to, those who speak with sanity. That is no accident.

Let'm rave and that will bring much needed attention to the problem of the campuses across the nation.

Been there, done that. Even those who still think they're liberals find a good portion of these jerks abhorrent. But our country and culture have been under assault from such for so long that Joseph Goebbals has got to be whooping it up in hell because at any time half of the country thinks a good portion of these bozos have a valid point. Goebbals Big Lie has evolved, in reality, into a whole series of lies that create enough confusion to provide cover for the most Statist among our rulers.

These left wing lunatics and the rest of the democrat fellowtravelers need[] to be removed from positions of any influence.
Which sounds remarkably similar to the idea behind my statements. At least censure could be invoked and tenure could be forcibly revoked for sedition during war time. Next best thing to execution as far as I'm concerned.

I don't care about these idiots but demand the media stop propping up the true problems: the Hillarys, the Torrecellis, the Richardsons, the democrats who allowed Clinton to raze the security apparatus and looked the other way while Chinese agents surged through our Weapons Laboratories.

All understandable desires. But how are you gonna accomplish your demand? Well, these snakes (and their more polished fellow travelers who are quietly fomenting dissension behind the scenes), are the ones whispering in the ear of our politicians the very ideas the majority of us find revolting. If you really want your leaders to hear you, you need to find a way to reduce your enemy's influence. When you can strike them where they live, snatch them right of their ivory towers on valid grounds, you will have gone a long way to achieving what you are after.

15 posted on 10/09/2001 8:15:30 PM PDT by Avoiding_Sulla
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Freedom of Speech prevents arrests for sedition. Now, if they are caught aiding an enemy in a declared war through some physical act that would be treason and punishable.

None of the professors quoted have any influence on policy these are the fringe of the fringe. I have never seen any of them on the Shout Shows not even Zinn.

T.V. is not going to feature these Clymers it is too busy sticking discredited demorat faces on the tube. Nor will their idiocy get any traction since these attacks were in the heart of the idiots ideological homeland, NYC.

Goebbels or no Goebbels these lameos will isolate themselves even on the campus. Let 'em rave.

I mean remove the democrats through the ballot box then the campus problems can be addressed. There will be no mass firings or removals without due process. It is against no law to be a stupid America-hating moron.

We will have to accomplish our demands by bringing the knowledge of the demorat complicency, and disregard of our security needs for the last eight years. Letters to the editors, talk shows, support for truthful candidates and the methods of the political process have to be used. No summary executions. Knowledge of your namesake's history should teach you that such methods are undesirable. We need no Marius either.

16 posted on 10/10/2001 9:18:29 AM PDT by justshutupandtakeit
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

A few ideas from Chesterton's: The Man who was Thursday

The common anarchists rejoiced if a bomb went off, killing a king, because they sought the destruction of authority. The intellectual anarchists, at the center of the movement, were happy if a bomb went off because it killed somebody. They sought the destruction of everyone. They would kill everyone else, and then finally, themselves. In this way humanity would finally be free.

Such foresight.

17 posted on 10/10/2001 10:50:25 AM PDT by Gabriel Gale

To: Gabriel Gale
A few ideas from Chesterton's: The Man who was Thursday

"...They sought the destruction of everyone.... "

Such foresight.

For such keen insight to the heart of the threat -- BRAVO Gabriel.

Are you really new to this forum? Or is this our disrupter granting me my due? :)

In either case: It's a pleasure having someone pick up the gist of my point and adding something to it. I highly suspect you'd fully comprehend C.S.Lewis' The Abolition of Man too.

18 posted on 10/10/2001 11:12:37 PM PDT by Avoiding_Sulla
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: tberry; AKbear; eskimo; A.J.Armitage; general_re; riley1992; gjenkins; hopespringseternal
bump alert

This may be illuminating.

19 posted on 10/10/2001 11:51:59 PM PDT by Avoiding_Sulla
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

For such keen insight to the heart of the threat -- BRAVO Gabriel.

Well, Chesterton wrote it, quite a long time ago too.

Are you really new to this forum? Or is this our disrupter granting me my due? :)

I'm new, as of this past Tuesday I think.

In either case: It's a pleasure having someone pick up the gist of my point and adding something to it. I highly suspect you'd fully comprehend C.S.Lewis' The Abolition of Man too.

I don't know whether I fully comprehend it, but it is one of my favourites.

20 posted on 10/11/2001 6:02:52 AM PDT by Gabriel Gale
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-28 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson