Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Pray for victory this Sunday: Joseph Farah shows triumph won by doing battle on knees
WorldNetDaily.com ^ | Friday, October 5, 2001 | Joseph Farah

Posted on 10/04/2001 11:10:39 PM PDT by JohnHuang2

WND Exclusive Commentary
Pray for victory this Sunday

© 2001 WorldNetDaily.com

On Oct. 7, 1571, Christian Europe, in a fight for its life with the Islamic invaders for some 700 years, prepared for a great naval confrontation with the Turks near the harbor of Lepanto.

At the hour of battle, Pope Pius V, far away at the Church of Minerva, led a prayer procession. At the church, he walked to a window, threw open its shutters and stood in a trance-like state for some time.

When he returned to his cardinals, he said: "It is now time to give thanks for the great victory which has been granted us."

Later, the timing of the pope's words with the records of the naval battle was found to be in exact accord. Selim II, the sultan of the Turks, lost a decisive battle that day.

But that's not the end of the story that led ultimately to the canonization of Pius V.

The Islamic prisoners taken in the battle attested with unquestionable conviction that they had seen Jesus Christ and a multitude of angels, sword in hand, fighting against Selim and the Turks and blinding them with smoke.

What's the relevance of this now obscure battle 430 years later?

I'm going to use this history lesson to do something most politically incorrect – and that is persuade Americans to pray for a decisive victory against their fanatical, radical, diabolical Islamic attackers this Sunday, Oct. 7, 2001.

A very specific prayer on a very specific day – why?

Because – like it or not, accept it or not, acknowledge it or not – there is a spiritual dimension to this war. There is a spiritual dimension to every conflict, to every thing under the sun, for that matter. But to deny it, as some of our more timid U.S. leaders have done, is misguided and wrong.

For 1,200 years, Islam and Christianity have been involved in conflict. More than any other conflict, this one defines world history during that era. Sometimes the war runs hot. Sometimes it runs cold. But it never ends. Islam and Christianity truly represent two distinct and clashing worldviews – and always have.

Does this mean I believe we should declare war on all Muslims? Or that I blame all Muslims for the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11? Of course not. But not to see the connection between today's Islamic warriors and those of the past is to misread history – to misunderstand our foes. Osama bin Laden himself calls Americans "Crusaders" and sees himself as a modern-day Saladin.

But my real point today is that there is power in prayer. How many times throughout history have we seen evidence for providence? How many times in American history alone have we seen God's hand at work?

I truly do not believe America will prevail in this war unless believers get down on their knees, humble themselves before God, repent of their sins and beg our heavenly Father for mercy in the name of Jesus Christ. I have not seen this happen yet.

I know this won't be a popular thought at learned institutions in America. I know that my colleagues at the Wall Street Journal and Washington Post will scoff at such archaic notions, I know that even President Bush is unlikely to call for such a sectarian day of prayer. He has shown his preference for downplaying the differences between the world's faiths and minimizing the role it plays in this conflict.

Maybe presidents have to do that in the 21st century. But somehow America got great through the inspirational leadership of some people who were anything but ecumenical.

So, who will join me this weekend in a daring prayer campaign for a decisive victory over our enemies this Sunday? Do this, I ask, not to bring glory to the United States, not to demonstrate our might, but to glorify God and to demonstrate the might of the Almighty.

This may seem like an unusual request coming from a journalist – and it is. But these are unusual times and we are experiencing unusual events. So it's time for unusual people to do some unusual things.

Will you join me – all you unusual people out there? Will you get down on your knees and trust God to deliver Osama bin Laden and our other enemies into our hands this Sunday? I believe it can be that easy – if our hearts are pure and our prayers are sincere.

Let's pray for another Oct. 7 miracle.

Don't miss Joseph Farah's exclusive report "Jihad in America" in the November issue of Whistleblower magazine, WorldNetDaily's monthly offline publication. Order your subscription now.

For Educational And Discussion Only. Not For Commercial Use.

TOPICS: Editorial; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:

1 posted on 10/04/2001 11:10:39 PM PDT by JohnHuang2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: JohnHuang2
I think we should all pray every day, not just on Sunday.
2 posted on 10/04/2001 11:18:55 PM PDT by RickyJ
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

I'm there...
3 posted on 10/04/2001 11:31:01 PM PDT by dandelion

"I truly do not believe America will prevail in this war unless believers get down on their knees, humble themselves before God, repent of their sins and beg our heavenly Father for mercy in the name of Jesus Christ"

bump

4 posted on 10/04/2001 11:52:42 PM PDT by Gal.5:1

I'll do it.
5 posted on 10/05/2001 1:56:36 AM PDT by DB

We are dealig with Principalities and powers of darkness. Yes, this is a Secular Society, but isn't it strange the we were attacked after a self professing, born again Christian, became President of this great Country. We may be living in one of the most horrific and trying times that a Generation has ever saw. Infact we may be living in the "last days" as revealed in Revelations. If you are a prayer warrior then put on your knee armor and lets get fighting and ask the one Who fits this decsription (His head and Hair were white like wool, like snow; and His eyes were like a flame of fire; and His feet were like burnished bronze, when it has been caused to glow as if in a furnace, and His voice was like the sound of many waters. And in His right hand He held seven star; and out of His mouth came a sharp two edged sword; and His face was like the sun shining in its strength. And when i saw Him, I FELL AT HIS FEET AS A DEAD MAN. Lets fall at His feet and pray. The true God hears us before we even speak. How awsome is that.
6 posted on 10/05/2001 3:15:32 AM PDT by john232

We are dealig with Principalities and powers of darkness. Yes, this is a Secular Society, but isn't it strange the we were attacked after a self professing, born again Christian, became President of this great Country. We may be living in one of the most horrific and trying times that a Generation has ever saw. Infact we may be living in the "last days" as revealed in Revelations. If you are a prayer warrior then put on your knee armor and lets get fighting and ask the one Who fits this decsription (His head and Hair were white like wool, like snow; and His eyes were like a flame of fire; and His feet were like burnished bronze, when it has been caused to glow as if in a furnace, and His voice was like the sound of many waters. And in His right hand He held seven star; and out of His mouth came a sharp two edged sword; and His face was like the sun shining in its strength. And when i saw Him, I FELL AT HIS FEET AS A DEAD MAN. Lets fall at His feet and pray. The true God hears us before we even speak. How awsome is that.
7 posted on 10/05/2001 3:16:01 AM PDT by john232

BUMP

According to Christopher Hitchens the Sept 11 terrorism date was chosen to commemorate the battle of Vienna, where a miraculous defeat of the Muslim Turks occured.

Today, Sept 7, is the day Catholics celebrate that prayer stopped the Turks at the Battle of Lepanto.

Seems fitting.

8 posted on 10/07/2001 12:00:14 PM PDT by LadyDoc

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson