Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

U.S. Can't Track Foreign Students
Washington Post ^ | 10/07/2001 | James V. Grimaldi, Steve Fainaru and Gilbert M. Gaul

Posted on 10/06/2001 9:03:33 PM PDT by Pokey78

Edited on 09/03/2002 4:49:22 AM PDT by Jim Robinson. [history]

Over the past decade, terrorists have posed as students, slipped across the lightly patrolled Canadian border, used false passports and presented themselves as tourists to enter the United States and plot deadly acts.

Their persistence in exploiting loopholes forced U.S. officials to confront a monumental question after the Sept. 11 attacks: Can a broken system, designed to police millions of people who come to the United States in search of a better life, be quickly reconfigured to capture the few who arrive in pursuit of a life of terror.

(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonpost.com ...

TOPICS: Front Page News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-65 next last

1 posted on 10/06/2001 9:03:33 PM PDT by Pokey78
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Pokey78
The answer is simple...don't let the come in the first place
2 posted on 10/06/2001 9:07:48 PM PDT by Texasforever
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Of course tracking aliens admitted to the US on student visas can be done. The logistics are fairly straightforward. The question is do we have the political "will" to do so? Or are we too concerned with political correctness?
3 posted on 10/06/2001 9:11:45 PM PDT by JD86

To: JD86
Bingo!
4 posted on 10/06/2001 9:14:05 PM PDT by dalebert
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

If these bastards kill another mass of innocents, the American people will take this into their own hands and begin dealing directly with these people. The government will have nothing to say about it.
5 posted on 10/06/2001 9:18:33 PM PDT by NoControllingLegalAuthority
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

They can start by deporting the foreign students who haven't been enrolled in at least 12 credit hours each and every semester, and who haven't been holding up a 2.5 GPA. I think that would weed out the non-serious students, shysters, and terrorists-in-wait

But that's just a one-time shot. Afterwards, sympathetic liberal professors would give out all As and Bs to them.

6 posted on 10/06/2001 9:21:18 PM PDT by AngrySpud

To: Texasforever
I would respectfully point out that most of us originally came from somewhere else. Not all immigrants should be lumped in with the undesirables. But all immigrants should be reminded that visas, green cards and eventually citizenship are all privileges to be earned. Having said that, it is not unreasonable to put more controls on the initial entry into our country. And tracking student visas is an excellent place to start tightening up the system.
7 posted on 10/06/2001 9:23:26 PM PDT by JD86
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: AngrySpud
Many of the people here on student visas were never enrolled in school in the first place. That is the place to start. They should have to prove acceptance at the school before getting the visa. And then the visa should be renewed every semester, or back they go.
8 posted on 10/06/2001 9:26:27 PM PDT by JD86
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: NoControllingLegalAuthority
I don't think we have the political will to do it, but I would like to see all student visas pulled, and only those who can prove they are in school TODAY would be reissued. The rest would be on their way out of the country.
9 posted on 10/06/2001 9:29:35 PM PDT by JD86
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Not all immigrants should be lumped in with the undesirables.

They came here for education NOT as immigrants.

10 posted on 10/06/2001 9:30:32 PM PDT by Texasforever
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

and what percentage do you think leave after they finish school? I know alot of doctors and engineers who came to go to school and never went "home"........
11 posted on 10/06/2001 9:32:14 PM PDT by JD86
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

I apologize, I realize you were answering the part of my suggestion that we shouldn't keep everyone out.....but my second point is once they are here we shouldn't let everyone stay. I am more in favor of a better system of filtering them before they enter the country...ie make sure they are really students....and then track them so they go home when they stop being students.
12 posted on 10/06/2001 9:34:58 PM PDT by JD86
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

My suggestion is to do a security clearance type check on anyone entering the country. We obviously don't want a kid whose parents are members of the Islamic Jihad. I don't know how they would do this in some countries but too bad. Those are the breaks.
13 posted on 10/06/2001 9:44:20 PM PDT by Cold Heat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Unfortunately, I think we're realizing that we're trying to close the gate after the horse is already out -- out, gone, hidden, sleeping (sleeper). How many of these individuals never even showed up for classes?
14 posted on 10/06/2001 9:47:21 PM PDT by alethia
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: wirestripper
I agree that would help in future cases.
15 posted on 10/06/2001 9:51:01 PM PDT by JD86
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: alethia
I agree, but we have to start somewhere. If I had my way, I would send everyone home who is here on a student visa and then screen them before letting anyone back in. I know that is not pc and would be a hassle but I would rather round them up and sort them out outside the country instead of inside........I get paranoid with the enemy in our midst.
16 posted on 10/06/2001 9:55:22 PM PDT by JD86
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: alethia
even the ones who never showed up for classes, and especially those who have expired visas, have visas on file, I suggest put them on a watch list, and when we find them, send them packing.
17 posted on 10/06/2001 9:58:14 PM PDT by JD86
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

Comment #18 Removed by Moderator

To: ratcat
isn't it a big jump from using national guard on the street, to shipping all of them overseas........
19 posted on 10/06/2001 10:03:06 PM PDT by JD86
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

I agree with both of your responses, JD86. We've got to identify these individuals and have a plan of action as to how to deal with them.

I didn't mean to imply that we shouldn't do anything. I agree that we need to clean up the tracking of Foreign Students from this point going forward -- AND have a plan to take care of what/who has slipped through the cracks.

20 posted on 10/06/2001 10:04:05 PM PDT by alethia
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-65 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson