Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Rumsfeld Reportedly Set to Hold Pentagon Briefing
Yahoo News

Posted on 10/07/2001 8:50:59 AM PDT by SamAdams76

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld plans to brief reporters on Sunday afternoon, as the United States tilts toward an expected military response to the Sept. 11 attacks on New York and the Pentagon (news - web sites), defense officials said.

Top civilian and military officials were holding unusual early-morning meetings at the Pentagon on Sunday. Among those in the U.S. military headquarters were Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz, Air Force Gen. Richard Myers, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the vice chairman Peter Pace, plus the top public affairs officials.

``You can say he may brief reporters,'' one official said, speaking of Rumsfeld. Others, speaking privately, made clear Rumsfeld would appear in the Pentagon press room, perhaps as early as 2 p.m. or 3 p.m.

Rumsfeld returned early Saturday from a four-day tour of the Middle East and Central Asia to shore up regional support for an expected U.S.-led strike against the Taliban hosts of Osama bin Laden (news - web sites), accused of masterminding the blitz that killed nearly 5,600 people last month.

Another senior Pentagon official, Undersecretary Douglas Feith, cut short a Gulf Arab tour, apparently to head back to Washington, U.S. diplomats and officials in the region said.

The diplomats did not say why Feith called off a stop in the United Arab Emirates after touring the neighboring Gulf states of Kuwait on Saturday and Qatar on Sunday.

``Feith will not be coming to the UAE,'' a U.S. embassy spokesperson in Abu Dhabi said. He gave no other details.

U.S. planes have landed in southern Uzbekistan, apparently carrying the first of an estimated 1,000 U.S. troops expected to be deployed in the central Asian country, the Voice of America reported on Sunday.

VOA, citing Uzbek officials, said at least three U.S. planes arrived at an unidentified airport under terms of an agreement reached by Rumsfeld and Uzbekistan President Islam Karimov.

The Pentagon withheld comment on all operational matters.

U.S. and British aircraft carriers, more than 300 warplanes, ships armed with cruise missiles and special forces troops have gathered within striking distance of Afghanistan (news - web sites). Some 30,000 troops have also been deployed.

TOPICS: Breaking News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-64 next last
The Secretary of Defense is giving a press briefing at 2 or 3PM on a Sunday afternoon (roughly midnight Kabul time)? In the middle of NFL football?

It can only mean one thing.

LET'S ROLL!

1 posted on 10/07/2001 8:50:59 AM PDT by SamAdams76
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: SamAdams76
Sorry, in my haste, I forget to put in the link to the story.
2 posted on 10/07/2001 8:52:41 AM PDT by SamAdams76
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Halftime entertainment?
3 posted on 10/07/2001 8:53:37 AM PDT by StriperSniper

If so, look for the President to interrupt the Emmys (bwahahaha) tonight at 9pm to speak to the nation.
4 posted on 10/07/2001 8:54:00 AM PDT by rintense

Among those in the U.S. military headquarters were Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz

Paul Wolfowitz in 2008 bump!

5 posted on 10/07/2001 8:55:02 AM PDT by Heisenburger

This sounds awful -- do you think they've done something to the aid workers? Could this be the "straw" that has broken the camel's back? I pray not - and I know there's been a timeline all along. Seems as though the deadline may have been pushed up by something. What do you think it could be?

Holding tight in Charlotte.

6 posted on 10/07/2001 8:55:51 AM PDT by alethia

The telegraphing still makes me a little queasy, what with instant communications these days. But perhaps all the feints of recent days make them feel comfortable. Kick A$$ and take no prisoners.
7 posted on 10/07/2001 8:57:08 AM PDT by Scott from the Left Coast

Don't hold your breath. Defense Secs don't announce these things until they are already done.
8 posted on 10/07/2001 8:59:43 AM PDT by piasa

Looks like JohnPaulJones has an insider advantage.go to his profile and read the article about russia predicting last august what is or might happen.Spooky that Russia knew something was up.
9 posted on 10/07/2001 9:00:59 AM PDT by eastforker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: alethia
No, I don't think anything has necessarily pushed up the timing. Actually I think we were ready to move last week at this time but was postponed when the "coalition" started getting cold feet. That's why Rumsfeld had to make a special trip out there.

Hopefully Rumsfeld didn't make any concessions while he was over there.

10 posted on 10/07/2001 9:01:15 AM PDT by SamAdams76
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: piasa
Maybe it will be all done by the time he speaks. It's already 8:30PM over Afghanistan and it's been dark for hours. Who knows what has already transpired? I'm sure Kabul is not the only target and there are no reporters in Afghanistan outside of Kabul that I know of.
11 posted on 10/07/2001 9:03:33 AM PDT by SamAdams76
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Light um up!
12 posted on 10/07/2001 9:03:55 AM PDT by Colonel Jim

To: Dog
ping
13 posted on 10/07/2001 9:04:00 AM PDT by Neets
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

Defense Secs don't announce these things until they are already done.

And Rumsfeld is about as good as it gets for not divulging information related to military operations.

14 posted on 10/07/2001 9:04:03 AM PDT by be-baw

To: eastforker
What happened to the thread John Paul Jones posted?
15 posted on 10/07/2001 9:06:27 AM PDT by Dog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

would that be central or eastern times?
16 posted on 10/07/2001 9:06:54 AM PDT by SwearenginP

He's going to deliver the following message from Bush to the Talibs:

Oh Please, please please please.... I AM holding my breath...

GandtheD

17 posted on 10/07/2001 9:07:40 AM PDT by Elenya

BTTT
18 posted on 10/07/2001 9:09:22 AM PDT by Guenevere

Wouldn't Dubya be doing the address if we had "done" something significant?

He knows the American people are chomping at the bit, wanting some action..

19 posted on 10/07/2001 9:10:08 AM PDT by Jhoffa_

To: eastforker and all
Read this thread posted by JohnPaulJones he posted in August that eastforker was talking about..

Middle East War??

pay close attention to the paragraph that tells you of a trigger in September to set it off..

Spooky!!!

20 posted on 10/07/2001 9:11:14 AM PDT by Dog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-64 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson