Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Officials: Tests Show Presence of Anthrax in Second Florida
AP | Amanda Riddle

Posted on 10/07/2001 11:26:49 PM PDT by Keith in Iowa

BOCA RATON, Fla. (AP) - Preliminary tests show the presence of anthrax in a second Florida man, but it was not yet clear if he has a full-blown case of the disease that killed one of his co-workers last week, officials said early Monday.

A nasal swab from the man, whose name was not immediately made public, tested positive for the bacteria that causes anthrax, said Tim O'Conner, regional spokesman for the Florida Department of Health.

O'Conner said he couldn't say that the second case was related to terrorism.

"That would take a turn in the investigation," said O'Conner. "It's a different aspect, we were thinking more of environmental" sources.

"We did get a positive nasal sample from a person who is a person who worked with the person who died," of anthrax, confirmed Barbara Reynolds, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.

The second man was in stable condition at an unidentified hospital, according to a statement issued late Sunday night by the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.

Authorities in North Carolina also have looking for possible sources of anthrax since last week, when Bob Stevens, who worked at the supermarket tabloid the Sun, was confirmed to be suffering from anthrax. Stevens, of Lantana, Fla., died of the disease on Friday.

Stevens, the first person in 25 years in the United States to catch a case of the rare and deadly inhalation form of anthrax, had recently visited North Carolina.

It was unclear when the final tests would tell whether or not the second man has anthrax. The bacteria normally has an incubation period of up to seven days, but could take up to 60 days to develop, O'Conner said.

"We're waiting for additional testing to see if it will become a confirmed case of anthrax or not," said Reynolds said in a telephone interview from Atlanta. "I realize for the public this is going to be a very slight distinction."

In addition, environmental tests performed at the Sun's offices in Boca Raton have detected the anthrax bacteria, said O'Conner, who was reading from a statement he said would be made public later Monday by Florida Secretary of Health John Agwunobi.

The Sun's offices have been closed off and law enforcement, local and state health and CDC officials were to take additional samples from the building later Monday, O'Conner said.

The FBI was helping in the search for the source of the bacteria, said Miami FBI spokeswoman Judy Orihuela.

Employees at the newspaper would not be going to work Monday, O'Conner said.

He said about 300 people who work in the building are being contacted by the Sun and instructed to undergo antibiotic treatment to prevent the disease.

But "the current risk of anthrax is extremely low," O'Conner said.

People who have just been visitors to the building, he said, should not seek antibiotic treatment.

Michael Kahane, vice president and general counsel of American Media Inc., which publishes the Sun and two other tabloids, the Globe and the National Enquirer, declined comment early Monday.

Only 18 inhalation cases in the United States were documented in the 20th century, the most recent in 1976 in California. State records show the last anthrax case in Florida was in 1974. ^---

On the Net:

CDC: http://www.bt.cdc.gov/Agent/Anthrax/Anthrax.asp

AP-ES-10-08-01 0205EDT

TOPICS: Breaking News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-63 next last
Here's the AP story - Breaking...
1 posted on 10/07/2001 11:26:49 PM PDT by Keith in Iowa
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Keith in Iowa
Do you have a link?
2 posted on 10/07/2001 11:29:32 PM PDT by TheOtherOne
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

So much for pulling it from the Breaking News column eh?
3 posted on 10/07/2001 11:29:44 PM PDT by Arkinsaw

Read between the lines. They are already in damage control mode. Like again it is isolated...move along. 2 cases? Im not budging at all. This is serious.
4 posted on 10/07/2001 11:31:37 PM PDT by My Favorite Headache

To: TheOtherOne
http://ap.tbo.com/ap/florida/MGAGRB7VJSC.html
5 posted on 10/07/2001 11:31:51 PM PDT by Keith in Iowa
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

New News
6 posted on 10/07/2001 11:32:07 PM PDT by Free the USA

To: TheOtherOne
LINK.
7 posted on 10/07/2001 11:32:16 PM PDT by KillerWabbit
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

O'Conner said he couldn't say that the second case was related to terrorism. "That would take a turn in the investigation," said O'Conner. "It's a different aspect, we were thinking more of environmental" sources.

That's wishful thinking. There's no way this was environmental.

8 posted on 10/07/2001 11:33:38 PM PDT by Gelato

Thanks for confirming this with AP News ....
9 posted on 10/07/2001 11:34:15 PM PDT by Centurion2000

To: Gelato
Agreed. I smell a cover-up . Big time.
10 posted on 10/07/2001 11:36:37 PM PDT by My Favorite Headache
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: Keith in Iowa and all
"The second man was in stable condition at an unidentified hospital, according to a statement issued late Sunday night by the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services."

And why is the North Carolina Dept. of Health & Human Services issuing this statement if the victim is in Florida???

11 posted on 10/07/2001 11:38:03 PM PDT by winna

To: Gelato
That's wishful thinking. There's no way this was environmental.

Yes it was indeed environmental. The environment was contaminated with a couple of psychotic Muslims.

12 posted on 10/07/2001 11:38:38 PM PDT by ikka
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Comment #13 Removed by Moderator

To: My Favorite Headache
Cover-up or denial.
14 posted on 10/07/2001 11:40:06 PM PDT by Gelato
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: Centurion2000
About time AP!

You see? if AP says it - it must be true, I guess huh? I guess the news desk in Palm Beach wasn't good enough...

Well I'm glad its "officially" out now. People really need to know that these terrorists are serious and the peaceniks need to go home.

15 posted on 10/07/2001 11:41:26 PM PDT by Ymani Cricket
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: Ymani Cricket
About time AP!
You see? if AP says it - it must be true, I guess huh? I guess the news desk in Palm Beach wasn't good enough..

Well .... my post in breaking news using the Channel 12 source in PBC was yanked fast off Breaking News, so yes maybe I am glad that AP picked this up. This news needs to go FAR AND WIDE.

16 posted on 10/07/2001 11:44:30 PM PDT by Centurion2000
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: The sky is not falling, get a grip...
Its not a coverup just because they are not speculating in public. Until they can confirm and get conclusive proof, why scare with speculation. What do you want, the CDC to rush a press release on every lab test? When there was confirmation on the 2nd case, and the bldg was quarantined, the word got out. Anyone with a brain can put these facts together and surmise a likelihood.

No coverup, just caution and professionalism. Use your brain and act in a prudent manner.

17 posted on 10/07/2001 11:45:18 PM PDT by Diddle E. Squat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: winna
And why is the North Carolina Dept. of Health & Human Services issuing this statement if the victim is in Florida???
The article makes it out that he was "recently visited" NC. So maybe he's there right now. Unclear from the article. I smell damage control.
18 posted on 10/07/2001 11:46:01 PM PDT by lelio
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: Ymani Cricket
CNN is reporting the story here 2nd Anthrax Case.
19 posted on 10/07/2001 11:46:36 PM PDT by Southack
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

COURAGE, people. We're going to have to make sure that courage is as contagious as anything the terrorists can throw at us. This could be a rough ride... chin up, it's life at it's most extreme but it's our story. We'd better make the most of it.

I'll be damned if these terrorists will stop me from living my life to the fullest. We're going to survive our fears and in the end, America will still be here - the terrorists will be the ones who are but a memory. oh, but what an awful memory they will be...

20 posted on 10/07/2001 11:47:08 PM PDT by dandelion

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-63 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson