Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

OFFICIALS: Tests Show Presence of Anthrax in Second Florida Man
AP ^ | 10/8/01 | Amanda Riddle

Posted on 10/08/2001 12:22:48 AM PDT by STARWISE

Officials: Tests Show Presence of Anthrax in Second Florida Man
By Amanda Riddle Associated Press Writer
Published: Oct 8, 2001

BOCA RATON, Fla. (AP) - Preliminary tests show the presence of anthrax in a second Florida man, but it was not yet clear if he has a full-blown case of the disease that killed one of his co-workers last week, officials said early Monday.

A nasal swab from the man, whose name was not immediately made public, tested positive for the bacteria that causes anthrax, said Tim O'Conner, regional spokesman for the Florida Department of Health.

O'Conner said he couldn't say that the second case was related to terrorism.

"That would take a turn in the investigation," said O'Conner. "It's a different aspect, we were thinking more of environmental" sources.

"We did get a positive nasal sample from a person who is a person who worked with the person who died," of anthrax, confirmed Barbara Reynolds, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.

The second man was in stable condition at an unidentified hospital, according to a statement issued late Sunday night by the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.

Authorities in North Carolina also have looking for possible sources of anthrax since last week, when Bob Stevens, who worked at the supermarket tabloid the Sun, was confirmed to be suffering from anthrax. Stevens, of Lantana, Fla., died of the disease on Friday.

Stevens, the first person in 25 years in the United States to catch a case of the rare and deadly inhalation form of anthrax, had recently visited North Carolina.

It was unclear when the final tests would tell whether or not the second man has anthrax. The bacteria normally has an incubation period of up to seven days, but could take up to 60 days to develop, O'Conner said.

"We're waiting for additional testing to see if it will become a confirmed case of anthrax or not," said Reynolds said in a telephone interview from Atlanta. "I realize for the public this is going to be a very slight distinction."

In addition, environmental tests performed at the Sun's offices in Boca Raton have detected the anthrax bacteria, said O'Conner, who was reading from a statement he said would be made public later Monday by Florida Secretary of Health John Agwunobi.

The Sun's offices have been closed off and law enforcement, local and state health and CDC officials were to take additional samples from the building later Monday, O'Conner said.

The FBI was helping in the search for the source of the bacteria, said Miami FBI spokeswoman Judy Orihuela.

Employees at the newspaper would not be going to work Monday, O'Conner said.

He said about 300 people who work in the building are being contacted by the Sun and instructed to undergo antibiotic treatment to prevent the disease.

But "the current risk of anthrax is extremely low," O'Conner said.

People who have just been visitors to the building, he said, should not seek antibiotic treatment.

Michael Kahane, vice president and general counsel of American Media Inc., which publishes the Sun and two other tabloids, the Globe and the National Enquirer, declined comment early Monday.

Only 18 inhalation cases in the United States were documented in the 20th century, the most recent in 1976 in California. State records show the last anthrax case in Florida was in 1974.

On the Net:

CDC: http://www.bt.cdc.gov/Agent/Anthrax/Anthrax.asp

TOPICS: Breaking News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-23 next last
Dear God ... now we have to worry about our air conditioning ducts??? I just had a gut feeling there couldn't be just one strange case. Please keep praying.
1 posted on 10/08/2001 12:22:48 AM PDT by STARWISE
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: STARWISE
Hey, Saddam and bin Ladin: N
2 posted on 10/08/2001 12:26:08 AM PDT by Diogenesis
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

I'm also shocked that this wasn't on the AP's Breaking News site .. I found it on their Florida news site!!! Can you believe it????
3 posted on 10/08/2001 12:26:30 AM PDT by STARWISE

Comment #4 Removed by Moderator

Can you believe it????

Yes.

5 posted on 10/08/2001 12:29:06 AM PDT by World'sGoneInsane
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

People who have just been visitors to the building, he said, should not seek antibiotic treatment.

That's irresponsible. When the consequence of making a mistake is "death" and the cost of treatment is "forty bucks," the fact that "probability of exposure" is a low number matters not one whit.

This guy goes into the box with the security guard at the WTC who told the people running down the stairs to go back to their offices because it was the other tower that got hit.

6 posted on 10/08/2001 12:30:07 AM PDT by Nick Danger

It looks like there is more to this than meets the eye.
7 posted on 10/08/2001 12:30:38 AM PDT by Pete53

To: Meanwhile, over in 4% land...
Just checked over at Traitors.com(DU), they just got this story up(3 HOURS after first appearing on FR!). Some mocking and scoffing, and a couple of suggestions that this was a Wag The Dog incident by Bush. I guess that is what psychologists would term 'projection'?
8 posted on 10/08/2001 12:37:02 AM PDT by Diddle E. Squat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

I'm also shocked that this wasn't on the AP's Breaking News site

It was on WPEC-TV as breaking news at 1AM EDT. Maybe even earlier, that is when I tuned it. Big story here. The Palm Beach Emergency Center is in full operation. No one would agree to an interview. All the reporters had was a press release. Odd that it took the wires so long to pick it up.

9 posted on 10/08/2001 12:41:23 AM PDT by LarryLied
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: Pete53
It looks like there is more to this than meets the eye.

If these two guys are the early outliers in a 45-to-60 day bell curve that started ticking in early September, we've got a serious Fright Scenario here. I pray to God that this isn't what I think it is.

10 posted on 10/08/2001 12:44:14 AM PDT by Nick Danger
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: LarryLied, unamused.
I e-mailed this story to Drudge. We'll see if he makes it a headline on his home page.
11 posted on 10/08/2001 12:47:46 AM PDT by NotJustAnotherPrettyFace
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: LarryLied
Hey Larry, you scooped AP!!!!

FREEPERS ARE AWEEEEESOME! AND THE REST OF THE WORLD! YOU GET THE SUPER FREEPER OF THE DAY AWARD!

12 posted on 10/08/2001 12:53:29 AM PDT by LUVYA DUBYA 2000
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

Comment #13 Removed by Moderator

To: ratcat
No, look again this AP story is dated Monday the 8th, This is a new story and confirmed case.
14 posted on 10/08/2001 12:59:22 AM PDT by LUVYA DUBYA 2000
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: Nick Danger
Yep...

I wonder if the security guard survived?

If so, I can't imagine his pain.

15 posted on 10/08/2001 1:02:53 AM PDT by DB
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: Nick Danger
If these two guys are the early outliers in a 45-to-60 day bell curve that started ticking in early September, we've got a serious Fright Scenario here. I pray to God that this isn't what I think it is.

If they were the outliers we would already have seen thousands of cases. 45-60 days is the LATEST incubation. Normal is 4-5 days.

THis is most likely a Poisson distrbution of exposure meaning that it isn't unusual for someone close (both spacially and temporally) to the initially infected to also be infected. Kind of like busses: the next arriving bus has the highest probability of arriving right after the previous one.

Think about how you get the disease: most likely the first victim got from livestock feces (shoes kicked it up). The same shoes wore worn to work. He has the opportunity to infect everyone he worked with.

I know everyone here wants to panic and I'm throwing cold water on it, but you need to take a step back. A terror attack of 200 pounds of Anthrax would kill 3 million people on the east coast. If this really were an attack thousands would have symptons within the first 3 days, not 2.

16 posted on 10/08/2001 1:03:48 AM PDT by tbeatty
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: tbeatty
I hope you're right.
17 posted on 10/08/2001 1:43:09 AM PDT by Nick Danger
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: tbeatty;Nick Danger
If it truly is a Poisson distribution, the probability of having two events in the same YEAR (using 18 cases in 100 years to calculate the mean)is about .013. I haven't calculated the probability of two in the same WEEK, but it certainly is much less than .013.
18 posted on 10/08/2001 2:21:54 AM PDT by be-baw
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

Looks like I chose the wrong night to go to bed early.
19 posted on 10/08/2001 3:00:59 AM PDT by Hugh Akston

according to CBS radio news...officials claim it is unrelated to terrorism.

By the way, the WTC crashes were not the result of terrorism either...it was a faulty air traffic control system which registered the towers as JFK airport.

20 posted on 10/08/2001 5:15:08 AM PDT by francisandbeans

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-23 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson