News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Meteor Storm Coming!!
The Times ^ | October 8, 2001 | Mark Henderson, Science Correspondent

Posted on 10/08/2001 3:47:50 PM PDT by FresnoDA

Meteor storm 'will be worst since 1966'

BY MARK HENDERSON, SCIENCE CORRESPONDENT

GLOBAL communications could be disrupted next month by the most severe meteor storm to strike the Earth since the beginning of the satellite age.

An unusually dense shower of space dust will bombard the planet in the early hours of November 18, producing a spectacular display of shooting stars but also threatening thousands of satellites with short-circuits.

This year’s Leonid meteor shower, which happens annually as the Earth passes through debris left behind by a comet, will be the most severe since 1966 and easily the worst since more than a handful of satellites have been present in orbit, scientists predict.

Even though each particle of dust from the Tempel-Tuttle comet weighs less than a milligram, the particles travel at such high speeds that a direct hit on a satellite would have a devastating effect, producing a cloud of charged gas that would short its electrics.

The risk of such an impact for each individual satellite is small — about one in 1,000 — but with several thousand satellites orbiting the Earth, it is highly probable that at least a handful will be disabled or knocked out. Communications, television, weather, science and military spy satellites could be affected.

There will be a big compensation for stargazers, however, bringing the best chance to see shooting stars in more than three decades.

When the Earth enters the cloud, about 10,000 meteors an hour will be visible in the sky, compared with the 20 to 30 that are normally seen during the Leonid showers.

The best places in the world to view the event will be the United States and eastern Asia, but experts are divided over whether the show will be visible from Britain. One group in the United States has calculated that about 100 to 150 meteors per hour should be present in the skies of Western Europe, but a British team thinks this unlikely.

There will be another opportunity to see a big Leonid shower next year and astronomers agree that Britain will see it then. The threat to satellites will also be repeated. The Leonids are so called because they always appear in the sky in the position occupied by the constellation Leo.

Some operators will be able to minimise the chances of losing their satellites by putting them into an orbit away from the side of the Earth on which the Leonids will strike.

TOPICS: Breaking News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 101 next last

1 posted on 10/08/2001 3:47:50 PM PDT by FresnoDA
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: FresnoDA
Oh No! This is the end. We're all going to die!!!
2 posted on 10/08/2001 3:52:25 PM PDT by RetiredArmy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Does anyone think that this is just a little coincindental?? I mean the first Leonid shower after 9/11 is the worst in 50 years? Has to be the work of Bin Laden.
3 posted on 10/08/2001 3:52:28 PM PDT by dennis1x

Watch YoMomma bin laden take credit for this...
4 posted on 10/08/2001 3:54:39 PM PDT by JDoutrider

I wish I had Seven-of-Nine's bra to use as an umbrella.
5 posted on 10/08/2001 3:55:34 PM PDT by Paul Atreides

To: dennis1x
Can you believe it, Benn Logjam even has control way out there!
6 posted on 10/08/2001 3:55:56 PM PDT by exnavy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: RetiredArmy
Ha! Good one General. It is just a news flash, kind of interesting, since we are using Satellite guided munitions, that's all it meant!!!
7 posted on 10/08/2001 3:55:56 PM PDT by FresnoDA
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Used to be the russians controlling our weather, now it's bubba bin laiden!!!
8 posted on 10/08/2001 3:56:14 PM PDT by OldFriend

You're right! Be sure to call Art Bell tonight and help alert the world to this nefarious Osama plot. Maybe you'll even get to talk to Richard C. Hoagland. ;-)
9 posted on 10/08/2001 3:56:53 PM PDT by newzjunkey

Aliens are Islamic? Oh great. Just what we need. Them attacking us too.

(The Bible talks about hail and brimstone falling from the sky during the tribulation period, but I'm not going to go into that.)

10 posted on 10/08/2001 3:57:14 PM PDT by concerned about politics

To: Jeremiah Jr; 2sheep
Here we go, another round of Tempel-Tuttle debris. And just in time for Ramadan.
11 posted on 10/08/2001 3:57:17 PM PDT by Thinkin' Gal

Are you sure Obubba Been Laiden didn't arrange it to make up for missing killing Bin Laden by five seconds while President?

I wonder if we will get to read a Talk magazine story about how Chelsea was almost hit by a space pebble while thinking of maybe walking to the Oxford Starbucks.

12 posted on 10/08/2001 3:57:43 PM PDT by Paul Atreides

You forgot to put that the sky is falling. :)
13 posted on 10/08/2001 3:58:09 PM PDT by danielobvt

I don't know about anybody else, but I get sick of all this doom and gloom.
14 posted on 10/08/2001 3:58:09 PM PDT by The Real Deal

Chicken Gore, is that you?
15 posted on 10/08/2001 3:58:23 PM PDT by Roebucks

To: Paul Atreides
I think you just want to SHARE it with her!!! Who wants it when she's not IN it????
16 posted on 10/08/2001 3:59:58 PM PDT by bannie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: JDoutrider
I thought algore invented meteor showers?
17 posted on 10/08/2001 4:00:06 PM PDT by humblegunner
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Does anyone think that this is just a little coincindental?? I mean the first Leonid shower after 9/11 is the worst in 50 years?

I noticed your FReeper membership date was 4/11, why that's 5 months before 9/11. Perhaps this meteor event was your own doing.

18 posted on 10/08/2001 4:01:09 PM PDT by Roebucks

I hear this every year, better get out of Dodge.
19 posted on 10/08/2001 4:01:36 PM PDT by boomop1

To: 2sheep
Bump
20 posted on 10/08/2001 4:03:21 PM PDT by RnMomof7

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 101 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson