Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

BREAKING: Anthrax case possible in VIRGINIA
AP Breaking ^ | 10/09/01

Posted on 10/09/2001 12:15:18 AM PDT by cgk

Elsewhere, a state official in Virginia confirmed that health officials there were monitoring a possible case of anthrax at a northern Virginia hospital.

Prince William Hospital in Manassas, Va., contacted the state health department with a possible anthrax diagnosis, "one of several possible diagnoses" for the victim, whose name was not released, said M. Boyd Marcus, Gov. Jim Gilmore's chief of staff. He said a germ culture from the victim was transported to a state laboratory in Richmond on Monday evening and would take at least 24 hours to analyze.

The state government was told that the Virginia victim had either been an employee of or a contractor for The Sun, Marcus said. He had no details, and he said it wasn't known whether the victim had been in Florida of late or had had direct contact with Blanco or Stevens.

TOPICS: Breaking News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 181-197 next last
KFI 640am just announced that AP is saying officials are investigating a 3rd possible case of Anthrax in Virginia, another worker for "The Sun..."....
1 posted on 10/09/2001 12:15:18 AM PDT by cgk
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: cgk
OK, can we get scared now? How else can this spore be delivered? If paper is a medium, what about in the morning newspapers??? How hard is it to get a newspaper delivery job? You could wipe out a whole neighborhood like that! Somebody tell me that's not possible, please!
2 posted on 10/09/2001 12:20:35 AM PDT by Yaelle
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: cgk JohnHuang2 Sawdring Travis McGee Professional
doesn't a Clintonite run these things? How long before the left is blaming Republicans?

If they wipe out all 500 employee's.... will we have to send a thank-you card? (kidding)

3 posted on 10/09/2001 12:22:14 AM PDT by GeronL

To: Yaelle
It IS possible, but a delivery man can't infect the employee's of the paper... this could have been done through the Air Conditioning system.
4 posted on 10/09/2001 12:23:22 AM PDT by GeronL
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Oh geez, calm down will ya?

How dumb are you going to feel if this turns out to be nothing? Even if it is something, he was most likely one of those that was at the building when the office workers were handling the "strange soapy material from inside the envelope".

5 posted on 10/09/2001 12:23:36 AM PDT by stuck_in_new_orleans

Oh great...
6 posted on 10/09/2001 12:23:49 AM PDT by StoneColdGOP

Just another coincidence? Where is the mid-eastern intern that worked at the Sun? I haven't heard if the FBI has located him.
7 posted on 10/09/2001 12:24:13 AM PDT by meenie

To: GeronL
Man, now I gotta apologize to that guy on the other thread...I wonder if crow carries anthrax?
8 posted on 10/09/2001 12:25:22 AM PDT by Sunshine55
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Not impossible, but not very effective. Almost none the spores dusted onto newspapers would ever be inhaled.

There are better ways. Ventilation systems, for one.

9 posted on 10/09/2001 12:26:01 AM PDT by Sabertooth

How long before the left is blaming Republicans?

Not to worry, None of the VICTIMS have been called Democrates, So they must be Republicans!

10 posted on 10/09/2001 12:27:21 AM PDT by LUVYA DUBYA 2000
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: stuck_in_new_orleans
Oh geez, calm down will ya?

Thank you, Tommy Thompson.

11 posted on 10/09/2001 12:28:53 AM PDT by cgk
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: stuck_in_new_orleans
"strange soapy material from inside the envelope".

Yea, that'll calm people down...

12 posted on 10/09/2001 12:29:36 AM PDT by GeronL

I understand you need to inhale about 10,000 spores. Just don't sniff your newspaper! ( just kiddding, this could be serious)
13 posted on 10/09/2001 12:30:34 AM PDT by Cold Heat

Isn't "Mr Clean" Islamic??
14 posted on 10/09/2001 12:30:52 AM PDT by evolved_rage
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: LUVYA DUBYA 2000
why would that stop them? =o)
15 posted on 10/09/2001 12:30:59 AM PDT by GeronL
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: evolved_rage
I thought he was Yule Brenner... *shrugs*
16 posted on 10/09/2001 12:31:45 AM PDT by GeronL
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: all
I'm a doctor of medicine. Don't worry guys. The treatment for anthrax is well-established. These guys would have to genetically engineer the strain to defeat the newest antibiotics. I don't think they can do that. It's hard for our own biotech companies to do that. If you start freaking out, it will drive up the cost of the drugs. It's better to use these antibiotics judiciously. If you over use them, the germs themselves will become modified through the natural mutation process. It's better to NOT use the antibiotics unless you absolutely have to. OK?
17 posted on 10/09/2001 12:32:17 AM PDT by bonesmccoy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: stuck_in_new_orleans; Yaelle
I don't think we'll feel dumb. It's understandable to be scared, and I've got kids to think about so I think I know how Yaelle feels. Tough times are ahead, and they call for tough people - but even some of us tough people are feeling some real fear about this. After we vent our fear, it's time to get tough, swallow hard, and do what we need to do to stay alive and keep this Nation moving. I personally consider each day I send my children to school, go to Church, or go shopping to be another day I symbolically flip off Bin Laden...
18 posted on 10/09/2001 12:32:56 AM PDT by dandelion

To: bonesmccoy
Good advice Doc.
19 posted on 10/09/2001 12:33:41 AM PDT by Cold Heat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

Is this a hoax? I can't find anything about this on the Radio Station's Web site. Is there a link to this story? The AP link above is to the old Florida case.
20 posted on 10/09/2001 12:34:03 AM PDT by BlackJack

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 181-197 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson