Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Will Psalm 101 be Fulfilled in 2001??
Prophecy in the News ^ | October 9, 2001 | J.R. Church

Posted on 10/09/2001 9:19:31 AM PDT by FresnoDA

Will Psalm 101 Be Fulfilled in 2001? by J. R. Church

"O when wilt thou come unto me?"
(Psalm 101:2). 

Is there a prophecy in Psalm 101 that will be fulfilled in 2001? Just how significant is this psalm in God's plan for the return of Christ and the establishment of His kingdom? For the past several years we have followed the progressive prophetic unfolding of the Psalms. Each psalm appears to be related to a corresponding year in the twentieth century - that is, Psalm 1 corresponds to 1901; Psalm 17 alludes to 1917; Psalm 48 matches 1948; etc. This 19th book of the Old Testament appears to be an unmistakable overview of the 1900s. We have observed with astonishment how the Psalms speak about the conclusion of Israel's long exile and their return to the Promised Land. 

Psalm 48 alludes to a replanting of the tree as it uses the term "beautiful for situation" in verse 2. Though it does not appear in the English translation, the Hebrew word  noph (translated as "situation") actually refers to a tree - the tree of Israel replanted on the holy hill of Jerusalem. Verse 6 alludes to the birth of Israel: 

"Fear took hold upon them there, and pain, as of a woman in travail." 

Indeed, every psalm (1-100 to date) contains some reference to the year corresponding to the number ascribed to that psalm. 

One of my favorites is Psalm 91, which alludes to the Gulf War against Iraq. This psalm is so descriptive of the Desert Storm conflict that TIME magazine (February 25, 1991 issue) devoted three pages to its incredibly uncanny verses: 

"Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; 

"Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday. 

"A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee. 

"Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked" (Psalm 91:5-8). 

The Song of Moses 

Psalms 90-100 were written by Moses. These eleven stanzas, along with Deuter-onomy 32 comprise the entire work that should be recognized as the "Song of Moses." Each psalm is dedicated to one of the twelve tribes. Deuteronomy 32, dedicated to Simeon, opens the collection and Psalm 100, dedicated to Asher, concludes it. These twelve stanzas comprise a prophetic song written just prior to Moses' death. Only the first is recorded in the book of Deuteronomy. The remaining eleven were published in Psalms 90-100. 

In our book, Hidden Prophecies in the Song of Moses, we observed that Joseph incarcerated Simeon in an Egyptian prison and thus provides a prophetic precedent as to why his stanza in the Song of Moses is published in Deuteronomy - under the law. Simeon sets forth a prophecy of the fall of Israel. The remaining eleven stanzas were placed in the Psalms to represent the rising again of Israel. 

According to the Tehillim, a rabbinical commentary, Psalm 100 "deals with the gratitude that will be due to God in the Messianic age, when the world has reached perfection." That comment alone makes this psalm applicable to the concluding year of the sixth millennium. The Jewish commentary continues: "Thus Psalm 100 serves as a finale to the previous psalms concerning the approach of the Messianic era" (Tehillim, p. 1215). 

Have we reached that time in human history for the "Messianic era" to begin? That appears to be what Israel's revered rabbis are suggesting. Psalm 100 is the last in the series of these eleven psalms composed by Moses (90-100) and has been designated as a psalm of thanksgiving that should be sung in the Temple during the service of a thanksgiving offering - "an offering that one would bring … after having survived great danger." 

History is laced with danger to the survival of Israel. The Jews have had plenty of occasions to sing this song. However, the prophets predict that Israel is yet to suffer one last series of dangers as the "day of the Lord" dawns. Perhaps the eleven stanzas attributed to Moses are introductory to the events of the Tribulation Period. Many scholars certainly agree that Psalms 90-100 allude to the judgment of God upon the nations. Dr. Henry Morris, in his book, Treasures in the Psalms, noted that Psalms 95-100 are distinctly speaking of the coming worldwide kingdom wherein Christ will reign as King of kings. On pages 158,159, he writes: "When we look into the themes of the six psalms, we note that all seem to focus on the Lord as the great King and Judge of all the earth, looking forward to His coming millennial kingdom … they are best understood in the context of the future thousand-year reign of Christ on earth." 

David included eleven stanzas from the Song of Moses in this collection of seventeen psalms (90-106) in order to connect his prophecy of the last generation with the significance of Israel's 40-year wilderness pursuit of the Promised Land. Just as the generation of the Exodus spent those early years in unbelief, prior to the accession of Joshua to lead them into the first kingdom, David wanted Israel to know that their progeny will return to the Promised Land in unbelief during the last generation, just prior to the appearance of the future Joshua - the Messiah. 

As we have earlier noted, the first stanza in the Song of Moses (Deuteronomy 32) predicted the "fall" of Israel, whereas the remaining eleven stanzas (Psalms 90-100) pointed to the future "rising again" of Israel. Luke's account of Simeon's prophecy that the Divine infant was "set for the fall and rising again" of Israel (Luke 2:34) demonstrates that the theology of the Song of Moses was recognized by the priesthood in Jerusalem. 

David adds to the Song of Moses six psalms (101-106) that seem to allude to years of tribulation leading up to the onset of the Messianic kingdom. This collection of seventeen psalms comprises the fourth book of the Psalter that corresponds with the fourth book of Moses, the book of Numbers, which tells about Israel's wilderness journey. 

David left the Psalter incomplete. He collected only two volumes - the first 41 psalms that correspond to Genesis and these seventeen psalms that correspond to Numbers. He left the compilation of the Exodus and Leviticus Psalms to his son, Solomon. As we reflect back upon the fact that Solomon published Psalms 42-72 and Psalms 73-89, we are struck with the thought that Solomon, the builder of the Temple, should be the one to collect those psalms that tell the story of Israel's future quest for the kingdom (as depicted in Psalms 42-72) and their preparations for the third temple (as depicted in Psalms 73-89). 

David also left the fifth book of the Psalter for a future generation to collect. That compilation was made some 500 years later, at the end of the Babylonian captivity. Upon their return, Ezra collected the final forty-four psalms. It is fitting that the Deuteronomy psalms - those psalms that speak about the future kingdom - should be compiled at a time when Israel had returned from exile. It corresponds with the prophecy that the Messianic Era will follow Israel's future return from exile - not the 70-year exile in Babylon, but Israel's long and final exile among all nations. 

The fifth book of the Psalter opens with God's final judgment upon Babylon - not the Babylon that Ezra knew, but a future "mystery" Babylon. In fact, Psalm 107 does not even use the term "Babylon," but a reading of verses 23-40 immediately reminds us of a worldwide system of trade and commerce that John later calls "Mystery Babylon." 

When we connect this opening psalm (107) with the previous psalms (101-106) a pattern emerges. David was preparing Israel for a future seven-year period, wherein the Chosen People would experience their final Divine redemption. 

Now, I cannot tell you that the years 2001-2007 will be the years of the Tribulation Period. Obviously, no one knows the future. We can only look back at the first 100 psalms and suggest that they allude to the return of Israel as history lays out the story in the years of the twentieth century. However, I would like to suggest that a simple reading of the text in Psalms 101-107 affords us a glimpse at Israel's future. Those psalms allude to apocalyptic events so unique, we are convinced they can only be descriptive of the Tribulation Period. 

Psalm 101 

David follows the Mosaic psalms with one of his own - Psalm 101, which speaks of two things - God's mercy upon Israel and His divine judgment upon an unbelieving world: 

"I will sing of mercy and judgment" (v. 1). 

In verse 2 David sighs, "O when wilt thou come unto me?" He demonstrates a desire for the Messiah to bring in the promised Kingdom. 

In verse 8 he suggests that the Lord's judgment will come at the dawning of the proverbial day: 

"I will early destroy all the wicked of the land; that I may cut off all wicked doers from the city of the LORD" (v. 8). 

I consulted a rabbinical commentary on this verse and found this assessment: "Targum maintains that this refers to the World to Come, which is likened to a new morning which will dawn for all mankind." 

The word "early" is the Hebrew "boker" meaning "at daybreak, the breaking forth of light." It is a fitting term for Psalm 101, provided the psalm stands for the year 2001, because that year represents the first year of the next millennium. It may well refer to the dawning of the millennial day. It is here that God promises to destroy all the wicked and prepare the Holy City for His presence. 

Conclusion 

There is so much more to the story. But this will suffice to show that the Psalms describe the century that saw the return of the Jews to their Promised Land. The Song of Moses (Psalms 90-100) yields a prophecy that will culminate in the seven-year Tribulation Period. Perhaps we have arrived at that special time in history for the final fulfillment of ancient biblical prophecies. The kingdom of God is at hand!

TOPICS: Editorial; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-77 next last

1 posted on 10/09/2001 9:19:31 AM PDT by FresnoDA
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: FresnoDA, sheltonmac, enemy of the people, winslow
When will you dispensationalists learn that all Old Testament prophecy finds its' fulfillment in Jesus Christ. Please read 2 Corinthians 1: 20. There will be no 7 year tribulation period. You are using a misinterpretation of Daniel's vision (Daniel 9) which had nothing whatsoever to do with an "antichrist" but everything to do with the coming, life and death of the Messiah, the Lord Jesus Christ - the Prince of Peace.

All of the Old Testament points to one person - The Lord Jesus Christ. Most of New Testament prophecy deals with the destruction and doing away with the Old Convenant and Jerusalem. The Church - the chosen people of God; the Royal Preisthood; the Holy Nation - is now waiting for one thing to be fulfilled - the blessed hope, the appearing of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

2 posted on 10/09/2001 9:53:42 AM PDT by sola gracia
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: FresnoDA
How is it that all you litteral interpretists always seem to miss that little part about not trying to fore tell the second coming or the end of the world? How is it that you make so much of a deal about Armegadon, when the Bible only refers to it 3 times and only 3 times to the anti-Christ too?
3 posted on 10/09/2001 10:03:58 AM PDT by Stavka2

Reminds me of the reasoning used in the book, "88 Reasons Why Jesus is Coming in 1988." [And also in the author's subsequent book, "89 Reasons Why Jesus is Coming in 1989" ...no joke.]
4 posted on 10/09/2001 10:08:20 AM PDT by 11th Earl of Mar

To: sola gracia
Wasn't there an "abundance" of "prophesies" in the Bible about a Y2K disaster?
5 posted on 10/09/2001 10:10:16 AM PDT by 11th Earl of Mar
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

See what happens when you don't keep your Bible wrapped securely in tin foil? Be careful, kids.
6 posted on 10/09/2001 10:15:44 AM PDT by Gumlegs

To: sola gracia
Since when is Revelation in the Old Testament? And where does it say in the BIBLE that everything mentioned in the Old Testament is exclusively fulfilled in Jesus' 33-year earthly lifespan? And for all you scoffers above, will see who is wearing "tin-foil" on J-day, now, won't we????
7 posted on 10/09/2001 10:33:44 AM PDT by Malcolm
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

That's it, OK we're done, the world is at an end and if you are not a Christian you're toast, Lucifer has his stamp on you!! ROFLMAO!!!

You guys Kill me, the Old Testament prophecy was all about Jesus and therefore you shouldn't pay attention to it. The Jews would disagree with you.

Nostradamus has a better track record then the bible, like the man said, put your bible back in it's tin-foil and chill out!!

Christians are SSOOOO funny, the sky is falling, the sky is falling, better become a christian or you will go to hell, the sky is falling!!!
8 posted on 10/09/2001 10:43:45 AM PDT by Aric2000

Your reaching... there may be some prophecy in the Bible but what you are attempting to prove is not true.

Take Psalm 91 which you say relates to the Gulf War. Well it talks about thousands falling at his right side and ten thousands on the other, or whatever. God didnt write Psalms to the Iragi people. they were the only ones that suffered those kinds of casulties. The US had a little over a hundred casualties. You are treating Psalms as an open Rosharch test.

Its easy to find prophecy in anything if the original writing is vague and you are looking to fill in the blanks. If someone said that each of the Psalms discussed the anti-christ you could probably find something in each if you were willing to stretch it far enough.

9 posted on 10/09/2001 10:47:10 AM PDT by Dave S

To: Aric2000
You're simply to loud for me to pass up .

I don't expect you to like me, or any other follower of Jesus, in fact I don't really mind if you go as far as beating or killing followers by the hundreds as others like yourself do .

You see, we (I and other believers in the Truth) know what's expected . We're the most mocked and spit on group out there, and we know our place . You can easily say a prayer and invite Jesus into your life . If you did this seriously and became Christian you'd try to share Jesus with others and those who didn't realise how great He is to have would soon not be your friend . However, I bet you're one of the millions that would love to silence all Christians and have them believe as you do . That's ok .

Bleat like a goat .

Cheese .

10 posted on 10/09/2001 10:57:25 AM PDT by AmericanCheeseFood
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

There shall in that time be rumours of things going astray, erm, and there shall be a great confusion as to where things really are, and nobody will really know where lieth those little things wi-with the sort of raffia-work base, that has an attachment. At that time, a friend shall lose his friends hammer, and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight O'clock.

11 posted on 10/09/2001 10:59:40 AM PDT by Physicist

To: Physicist
Be ye not deceived ... God will not be mocked.
12 posted on 10/09/2001 11:22:21 AM PDT by JudyB1938
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: AmericanCheeseFood
In all honesty I couldn't care less what you believe, be a christian, be a hindu, be a buddhist, It doesn't matter to me. I would never kill anyone because of their beliefs, and for you to say such a thing is lower then low.

Yeah, some bad things are happening, what of it? It does not mean the world is coming to an end.

What I was saying is that christians sound VERY foolish every time they start screaming the sky is falling, and you had better become a Christian or you will go to hell. I find it rather amusing and every time it happens your credibility goes even further down. That's all I was saying, be a Christian, that's fine, but don't expect me to take you too seriously!!
13 posted on 10/09/2001 11:34:14 AM PDT by Aric2000
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

Nostradamus has a better track record then the bible,...

I assume you meant to say "THAN" instead of "THEN". Either way, your statement is either the most sadly misinformed statement I've seen today or simply the loud obnoxious braying of someone who likes to mock others without having anything of substance to offer.

The original post is a stretch and should probably be ignored, but your silly mockery really makes you look like a fool.

14 posted on 10/09/2001 11:35:07 AM PDT by VRWCmember
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

>>>Now, I cannot tell you that the years 2001-2007 will be the years of the Tribulation Period.<<<

At some point these "7 year" planners are going to figure out that they did the math wrong.

15 posted on 10/09/2001 11:40:35 AM PDT by Thinkin' Gal

Hi Aric:

I am a Christian (devout Roman Catholic w/ a Phd., whooopedoo) and I don't think your comments are in any unreasonable or obnoxioius. Real Christianity does not revile people or groups and claim they are going anywhere at at, hell or otherwise. For the simple reason that we don't know where they're going. No knowledge of it. Nothing. Nada. Just as no one has ever seen God, except one.

I agree w/ you about the braying jackasses in fundamentalist relions, whether they be Christian, Muslim, or the Latter Day Right Handed Red-Headed Footwashing Holy Rolling Ass-Kickers of Upper Iowa.

As CS Lewis said (arguably the most educated man of the 20th century), "we don't know about other faiths, because we were quite simply given no instructions either way concerning them. Maybe they don't need it." he said.

And of course St Augustine said in reference to the same topic, there are many in the City of Man that are not in the City of God, and many in the City of God that are not in the City of Man. In other words we emphatically do not know what is in other people's heart, and the Catholic prayers for the dead are ultimately directed on behalf of "those whose faith is known to You alone."

End of argument. More decent people have been driven away from the Faith by these simperingly or bombastically condescending quarter-educated self described Christians than are brought into the Faith by the non-agressive efforts of us who don't tell it to people who are not interested. It's THE most obnoxious kind of person on earth, IMHO.

On a bus or a plane or anywhere comes the question:

Excuse me sir, but is this seat saved?"

"Well no I don't think it--"

"And by the way, are YOU???"

This is probably one of the reason you find barf bags on all of these conveyances.

All the best,

Maturing

16 posted on 10/09/2001 11:53:31 AM PDT by maturin
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: JudyB1938
Be ye not deceived ... God will not be mocked.

God isn't.

You are.

17 posted on 10/09/2001 12:00:37 PM PDT by hopespringseternal
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: VRWCmember
The Nostradomus Quatrains are pretty vague, just as the prophecies in the bible are vague. The Jews don't believe that many of the prophecies have come true yet, whereas the Christians believe that most if not all have been fulfilled, whereas others are still trying to figure out what the prophecies actually mean. And yes the same goes for Nostradomus.

But according to experts of Nostrodamus, most of his quatrains have come true in one way or another, and others are so vague, because he feared persecution by the catholic church, that they can't tell if they have or not.

I state facts and you call me foolish, Like I said, christians are a funny lot, they have ALL the answers, but if someone questions them, that person is foolish.

Oh well, think what you want, but your religion has too many questionable beliefs and questionable Representatives for me to take you very seriously.... Be what you want that's fine, but don't act all high and mighty, when you are just as clueless as everyone else.... You just sound foolish.
18 posted on 10/09/2001 12:06:28 PM PDT by Aric2000
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

I didn't mean to imply that you were going to go about killing . But it does happen .

But like others you're apparently too big of God . Or so you think . You've heard my end, probably a million times, you don't care . That's cool .

2nd Tim 3

Cheese .

19 posted on 10/09/2001 12:06:54 PM PDT by AmericanCheeseFood
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

Is there a prophecy in Psalm 101 that will be fulfilled in 2001? Just how significant is this psalm in God's plan for the return of Christ and the establishment of His kingdom? For the past several years we have followed the progressive prophetic unfolding of the Psalms. Each psalm appears to be related to a corresponding year in the twentieth century - that is, Psalm 1 corresponds to 1901; Psalm 17 alludes to 1917; Psalm 48 matches 1948; etc. This 19th book of the Old Testament appears to be an unmistakable overview of the 1900s. We have observed with astonishment how the Psalms speak about the conclusion of Israel's long exile and their return to the Promised Land.

That's interesting. I've seen it mentioned elsewhere, before, and I really don't know what to think about it. It's something that's been around in various Christians' thinking for a number of years. I don't know where it originated.

Just keep in mind -- that it's highly speculative. It's not something that forms part of the foundational thinking for the Rapture, the Tribulation, the return of Christ and so on. But, there may be something to it. It's just that it's not very well developed -- if there is anything to it.

No matter whether there is or not, one has to take this with a "grain of salt" -- even being a Christian. There are other things like that, too -- that people bring up that have to be just taken very carefully. They cannot form any part of the foundational teachings of Christianity and they certainly have nothing to do with salvation. And Salvation in Jesus Christ is the main message for each individual. But, with that kind of caution having been said, I might mention something more about it.

If you look at Psalms 117 to 119, I think those are significant Psalms in light of this type of speculative thinking. So, if someone were to transpose the year/Psalm type of thinking on this -- one might actually conclude that this had something to do with the setting up of the Kingdom on this earth (somewhere in the range of 2017 to 2019, depending on what each of those Psalms meant).

If one were to speculate backward, then one could say that 7 years prior would be the rough and approximate time for the Rapture (or around 2010-2012). But, once again -- this is simply speculation on the basis of a questionable theory.

But, a glance at Psalm 109 (perhaps 2009?) seems to have something to do with the Antichrist. Psalm 110 may have something to do with the beginning of the Tribluation and with the Rapture having happened.

It's all too vague and "rough" of an idea to be sure. But, it's interesting speculation, anyway.

ASIDE FROM THAT, the idea of the Rapture, the Tribulation and the coming of the Lord to set up the Kingdom on this earth and rule all the nations from Jerusalem -- doesn't reside in these kinds of speculations, but from other more substantial teachings of the Bible (albeit, not without dispute among Christians, themselves as to the exact details).

ANOTHER SUCH MORE INTERESTING IDEA is something I've posted on Free Republic (a while back about the 7 Festivals of the Lord.

The Seven Festivals Of The Messiah at http://www.FreeRepublic.com/forum/a39e032ca390d.htm

I said in that posting --

What is shown here is how the seven Feasts of the Lord, are fulfilled in the ministry of Jesus Christ, throughout the course of the history of the world. The first four Feasts have been fulfilled, up through the Feast of Weeks, or Pentecost. The next one to be fufilled is the Feast of Trumpets, related to the Rapture. And then in quick succession comes the Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) and the Feast of Tabernacles (the Millennial Reign of Christ).

You might examine that -- in light of this more speculative idea about the Psalms.

20 posted on 10/09/2001 12:07:27 PM PDT by Star Traveler

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-77 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson