Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Gun Control Book Based on Faulty Data
Fox News ^ | Wednesday, October 10, 2001 | Glen Harlan Reynolds

Posted on 10/10/2001 4:56:32 AM PDT by RandallFlagg

Edited on 04/22/2004 12:31:22 AM PDT by Jim Robinson. [history]

Emory University historian Michael Bellesiles caused quite a splash when he published Arming America: The Origins of the National Gun Culture, a book that ostensibly turned our understanding of the Second Amendment on its head.

The book was enthusiastically received and celebrated by the media establishment, who welcomed it with rave reviews and awards and pronounced the book proof that the Second Amendment does not protect individual gun ownership.

(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com ...

TOPICS: Editorial; Miscellaneous
KEYWORDS:
If this was posted earlier, I apologize in advance..
1 posted on 10/10/2001 4:56:33 AM PDT by RandallFlagg (aaargoxx@hotmail.com)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: RandallFlagg
Another great piece on Bellesiles in the current edition of National Review (October 15, 2001) in the special section, "Nutty Professors":

Disarming America by Melissa Seckora
A prize-winning historian and his gun myths.

2 posted on 10/10/2001 5:01:10 AM PDT by Cincinatus
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Screw everyone who thinks the govt gives me the right to own firearms. Screw everyone who thinks the govt doesnt give me the right to own firearms. Protecting yourself is an instinct and you choose to protect yourself in the best manner you can. The 2nd Amendment doesnt give you the right to own firearms,it states that right shall not be infringed
3 posted on 10/10/2001 5:11:15 AM PDT by South Dakota

To: bang_list
bang
4 posted on 10/10/2001 5:13:26 AM PDT by TomServo

"Carl Bogus, who reviewed the book for The American Prospect, is a longtime gun-control activist"

His name is so appropriate.

5 posted on 10/10/2001 5:14:25 AM PDT by Eugene Tackleberry

"But this raises an interesting question about the claim that mainstream, traditional media organizations always make in defense of their importance: that they are careful and responsible, while alternative media and the Internet are not. The Internet, they tell us, is a domain of hype and hoaxes, while traditional media can be trusted to check things out and get them right."

Duuuuhhh! LOL! It drives me nuts to see the liberal press (even Fox) suddenly wake up from their stupor and act surprised!

6 posted on 10/10/2001 5:16:33 AM PDT by txzman

"It appears, however, that the Internet is sometimes harder to fool than the establishment."
The Interenet is always harder to fool than the establishment.

7 posted on 10/10/2001 5:17:44 AM PDT by bvw

"Carl Bogus . . . is a longtime gun-control activist."

OK, that's just to easy.

8 posted on 10/10/2001 5:18:36 AM PDT by Freemyland

To: Eugene Tackleberry
I must have been fooling around with my post when your post came up. Anyway, "great minds", and all.
9 posted on 10/10/2001 5:21:53 AM PDT by Freemyland
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

What explanation Bellesiles will offer is unclear

"The dog ate my evidence."

10 posted on 10/10/2001 5:25:55 AM PDT by steve-b

To: Freemyland
to=too
11 posted on 10/10/2001 5:28:39 AM PDT by Freemyland
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: steve-b
Actually the "dog" story is not far from the truth.

He claims that all of his evidence was lost during a flood in his office!

12 posted on 10/10/2001 5:40:02 AM PDT by Fixit
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

those ignorant yahoos on the Internet

That's us. < /sarcasm>

13 posted on 10/10/2001 5:47:39 AM PDT by Tijeras_Slim

To: South Dakota
Even if the 2nd amendment is interpreted as the anti-gun shills say, that firearms are conditioned on the membership of a government controlled "militia" and the militia is not the general citizentry, that would mean the the 9th amendment would acknowledge the right, as self-defense in included therein, and the 10th amendment would acknowledge the Power to utilize them against usurpers of the sovereign body of the people.

And even if none of the amendments acknowledge that right, We, the People, with firearms and amunition running out of our ears, will just make that right when we feel like it.

This "controversy" over the two clauses of the 2nd Amendment is is based on ignorance and dipped in bullshit. Both clauses mean exactly the same thing, either each standing alone or both together.

The first clause is about the militia, which is all the males between, generally, 18 and 50, and, since the 19th amendment, presumably all females 18 to 50. So, this clause means the people. The second clause needs no explanation.

14 posted on 10/10/2001 5:49:11 AM PDT by William Terrell
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

The book was enthusiastically received and celebrated by the media establishment, who welcomed it with rave reviews and awards

You don't suppose that this is why he wrote this book.
I'm assumeing that he knows better(ya ok I know I'm just a little dumb and naive)

15 posted on 10/10/2001 6:06:45 AM PDT by Valin

amateur scholars were posting long critiques of Bellesiles’ work

Even this article shows some bias. I'm sure this is referring to Clayton Cramer's very scholarly, heavily footnoted, reviews of Arming America. See them here, about halfway down the page. Cramer was criticizing Bellesiles back when the book was just an article in the referred Journal of American History, and was ignored by the history establishment there.

They are far from amateurish.

16 posted on 10/10/2001 6:07:29 AM PDT by FreedomPoster

I posted to Front Page but it looks like post has disappeared.. As an aside I can load a muzzleloader 4 times in less than 60 seconds and hit all 4 shots in the 6 ring at 40 yds... club record....
17 posted on 10/10/2001 6:14:51 AM PDT by BallandPowder

No suprise here. The liberal lies as a matter of course.

Hard truth #106. The liberal end of bigger government justifies any means - including lies, deception, corruption, and violence.

Hard truth #81. Liberals view humans as monetary objects without moral motivation (welfare, etc.) , but view inaminate objects (guns, profits, etc.) in exclusively moral terms.

Hard truth #19. Private ownership of guns is the single greatest symbol of individual power, and therefore despised by the liberal.

140 Hard Truths About Liberals

18 posted on 10/10/2001 7:56:49 AM PDT by moyden

To: All responders
Sorry about the post-and-run of this yesterday, I was running late for work..

In short...

Cincinatus--Agreed. South Dakota--I'm with ya! Eugene Tackleberry--Yeah..TOO funny! However, I STILL love FOXNEWS (dothedhuedothedhuedothedhuedothedhuedothedhuedothedhuedothedhuedothedhue). bvw--Yep! Freemyland--Don't have to reach TOO far for THAT one! steve-b--Good pooch. Tijeras_Slim-- LOL. Valin--The "Media Establishment" is about as trustworthy as Feinstain. FreedomPoster--Fox still has to maintain their "Fair and Balanced" even if the other side is full of poo-poo. We know better, though. BallandPowder-- Excellent shooting! moyden-- So right, pal!

DAMN! Now I gotta get to work again!

19 posted on 10/11/2001 3:36:07 AM PDT by RandallFlagg
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson