Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Breaking: Ron Paul introduces Marque and Reprisal Bills in House
Ron Paul | 10/10/01 | demidog

Posted on 10/10/2001 12:44:32 PM PDT by Demidog

I just received a call from my contact at Ron Paul's office.

Ron Paul today introduced two bills into the House of Representatives which would authorize the State Department to issue letters of Marque authorizing privateers to attack and collect assets from terrorists who commit hostile acts against the U.S.

This means that you (yes you personallywould be able to help to bring down the rogue and nationless enemies of the United States provided you meet a few requirements.

The precendence for this bill is based on specific Constitutional powers and was seen as a remedy by our founders for those nationaless terrorists who committed acts against U.S. merchant ships on the high seas. We're dealing with Pirates here and a significant effort has been made by Ron Paul's team to create a legal definition for "Air Piracy" which would include hijackings.

The text of the Bills have not been published yet but I will update everyone the moment the text becomes available.

The Bills are: H.R. 3074 and H.R. 3076

Please call your congressman and tell him that you want them to either sponsor or support this bill.

TOPICS: Breaking News; Constitution/Conservatism; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 261-279 next last
The Constitution is not just a trivial document that doesn't consider such "modern" infamies like terrorsm.

Ron Paul Rules.

1 posted on 10/10/2001 12:44:32 PM PDT by Demidog (rfisk@lycos.com)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Demidog
As long as the letters of marque and reprisal are conditioned on not interfering with ongoing US operations, this is a fine idea.
2 posted on 10/10/2001 12:47:02 PM PDT by wideawake
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Uriel1975;tex-oma;MadameAxe;analex;OWK;Jolly Rodger;AuntB;Architect
bump!
3 posted on 10/10/2001 12:47:32 PM PDT by Demidog

Air piracy? Good deal! I can use this as an excuse to act against the ChiComs then?
4 posted on 10/10/2001 12:49:26 PM PDT by American Soldier

To: wideawake
Yes, now we're getting somewhere.

This is the sort procedure the "crown"{Bush ancestors, look it up} used to deal with pirates back in the day.

5 posted on 10/10/2001 12:49:35 PM PDT by norraad
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

provided you meet a few requirements.

Do you know what the requirements are?
I like the Pirate angle.

6 posted on 10/10/2001 12:49:49 PM PDT by PRND21

To: wideawake
Well, as we all know, any Congressman can introduce anything he wants. Whether it gets passed by the House, the Senate, and overcomes a presidential veto is another matter.

What is the point of such grand-standing?

7 posted on 10/10/2001 12:49:59 PM PDT by Precisian
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

That's MY congress critter folks. Wait till he authors a bill to seize ALL assets of ANY nation supporting terroists to pay for this war.

Write your congress critters. Demand that all non citizen Muslims be deported NOW. This will make the FBI's job easier in watching the remaining ones. They (the 'citizen' Moslems) may have to go too however.

If my 'culturist' sentiments bother you .... ask yourself this: "Was that fat lady leafing through the Natl. Enquirer in the line in front of me today sending anthrax spoors into the air around me?"

All the terrs had to do was infiltrate the infrastructure of The Sun and dump anthrax spoors into ONE press run.

8 posted on 10/10/2001 12:50:00 PM PDT by mercy

To: {Libertarians};Askel5;{Bang};
There were a few discussions about pirates going on at FR about a week after the attacks. If anyone knows where those are or who might have been talking about the similarities of piracy remedies, please bump them.
9 posted on 10/10/2001 12:51:15 PM PDT by Demidog

I hope that hackers realize what this would mean. They could engage in their hobby for fun and profit! (Who says you need a ship to go privateering?!)
10 posted on 10/10/2001 12:51:32 PM PDT by Redcloak

Comment #11 Removed by Moderator

Modern day parities.. WOW

I can not see it passing. Sounds good though.

12 posted on 10/10/2001 12:53:49 PM PDT by Steve Van Doorn

I don't get it. First, Ron Paul blames the WTC attack on our interventionist foreign policy.

Now he wants to authorize American citizens to play Rambo in foreign countries.

I'm beginning to really wonder about this guy.

13 posted on 10/10/2001 12:55:31 PM PDT by Dog Gone

WAY TO GO, Ron! COOL! A marvelous idea! AND Constitutional, to boot!
14 posted on 10/10/2001 12:55:35 PM PDT by dcwusmc

Sounds like a grandstanding amateur to me.
15 posted on 10/10/2001 12:56:07 PM PDT by Petronski

To: Precisian
"What is the point of such grand-standing?"

A quick clarification, if I may:

When people like Bill Clinton and Jesse Jackson contort and revise their "principles" if doing so affords them opportunities to keep themselves in the public eye, it's grandstanding.

When Ron Paul, who has been an aggressive champion of the Constitution, personal liberty, and the Rule of Law acts (as he has thousands of times over the years) on his beliefs, it's being principled.

16 posted on 10/10/2001 12:56:30 PM PDT by LincolnLover
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

BTT
17 posted on 10/10/2001 12:56:34 PM PDT by harpseal
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: To All
How YOU can assist/support HOMELAND DEFENSE
18 posted on 10/10/2001 12:56:42 PM PDT by 68-69TonkinGulfYachtClub

BTTT
19 posted on 10/10/2001 12:57:28 PM PDT by b4its2late

To: Precisian
I think it's helpful. The more people the terrorists have after them, the better. The police have jobs to do beside tracking down bail jumpers, so bounty hunters come in handy.

Same for terrorists. A bounty hunter who lives for the chase is willing to cross from jurisdiction to jurisdiction to track someone down. Quite routinely bounty hunters will go to Mexico to grab someone who jumped bail in California or Texas. They're more efficient than cops, who would have to notify local Mexican authorities, argue extradition, etc. Red tape dissolves when privateers are around.

20 posted on 10/10/2001 12:57:32 PM PDT by wideawake
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 261-279 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson