Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Beware of "Second Chance" eBay scam (vanity)
Self ^ | 3-11-05 | FReeper

Posted on 03/11/2005 3:35:48 PM PST by Atlas Sneezed

I recently sold an expensive (over $1000) item on eBay. Shortly after the auction, I received an email from one of the losers asking if an email they received was legitimate.

Someone posing as me, the seller, emailed the losing bidders, telling them that the winner had backed out, and that they had the chance to buy the item now. I told the recipient that the message was a fraud, and asked him to report the fraud to eBay.

I then took the liberty of emailing the fraudster from an anonymous account, assuming that he didn't keep track of who he was emailing. He didn't, and we are at the point where he is asking me for personal address information: "To end our transaction in the faster and very protected way i will need your full info so i can contact eBay to setup a granted and protected transaction. As soon as i receive your info i will contact eBay to send you an aw-confirmation invoice regarding how will be complete this transaction in safe mode"

I just submitted a complaint to the FBI (www.ic3.gov) (which handles matters over $2500) and left a message for local law enforcement fraud division.

Obviously, any savvy person would immediately suspect this as a fraud, but I am posting this to caution anyone about this type of scam.

TOPICS: Business/Economy; Computers/Internet
KEYWORDS:

1 posted on 03/11/2005 3:35:48 PM PST by Atlas Sneezed
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Beelzebubba

As it happens, the local police is now interested in posing as a victim, and trying to fish out this guy.

2 posted on 03/11/2005 3:47:20 PM PST by Atlas Sneezed (Your FRiendly FReeper Patent Attorney)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

FYI, There was a lengthy article i the NY Times sometimne in the last week about probnlems at E-Bay..mainly due to increasing fees it charges, and also to increasing fraud...and the fact that E-Bay doesn't seem interested in stopping the fraud. Do a search on the Times website..well worth reading..

3 posted on 03/11/2005 3:55:22 PM PST by ken5050 (The Dem party is as dead as the NHL..)

To: ken5050

Talking to eBay is like talking to a sheet of ice......

4 posted on 03/11/2005 3:56:51 PM PST by Osage Orange (What's duct tape called in Arkansas?.........................................................Chrome)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: ken5050

"E-Bay doesn't seem interested in stopping the fraud"

The police fraud officer I spoke to said that eBay used to be bad, but now they are very attentive and cooperative about fraud. If they get a bad reputation, billions in company value would be lost.

5 posted on 03/11/2005 3:59:20 PM PST by Atlas Sneezed (Your FRiendly FReeper Patent Attorney)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

thanks for posting this. FReepers, identity theft, fraud and "phishing" using what is called "spoofing" is a huge online crime area.

One tool to help identify spam and phishing is a program called Mailwasher. Google it and download it, it's very popular. Using Mailwasher (free/donationware and paid Pro versions available) in conjunction with ZoneAlarm you can block all internet activity, then look at the Header (click the box) of the email to confirm it's where it claims to be from. If not, it MAY be spam or worse.

Indeed, BEWARE anything, anybody that seeks personal info of any kind, unless you can verify the caller, emailer, Web site.

HINT: copy the email address or Web site with your mouse, then open Wordpad or other word processing program (NOT Notepad) and enlarge the size to 24 or larger point size then CHANGE THE FONT a few times until you can confirm the information.

Scams are using l "small L" for numeral 1 and lots of other tricks, it really is ugly out there. If in doubt, DON'T.

Again, good post, BBa, from BB!

6 posted on 03/11/2005 4:00:01 PM PST by The Spirit Of Allegiance (ATTN. MARXIST RED MSM: I RESENT your "RED STATE" switcheroo using our ELECTORAL MAP as PROPAGANDA!)

The article interviewed several "Power Sellers" (? on E-bay...and that was their main point. I was just passing it along FYI..

7 posted on 03/11/2005 4:01:16 PM PST by ken5050 (The Dem party is as dead as the NHL..)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

I had something similar happen to me a few years ago on eBay. I put in a bid on an expensive watch. I would have gladly bought the watch at the low bid I put in, but I did not keep bidding. After the auction was over, someone else, not the seller or buyer, contacted me saying that they had a similar watch for sale. (At that time, the bidder's email address was displayed.) I refused the offer, but in another email, the person got more agressive. In his(?) third email he attached a photo of the supposed watch. But the photo was simply one you could find on a company web site, not a real-looking watch photo. He finally gave up when I refused the offer again.

8 posted on 03/12/2005 5:09:09 AM PST by RickGee

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson