Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Reviews and feedback for The Chronicles of Narnia film
December 10, 2005 | DaveLoneRanger

Posted on 12/10/2005 7:47:30 PM PST by DaveLoneRanger

Okay, everyone, you've had a chance to see the film! Currently, it is at the top of the box office, per Drudge.

Some reviews and discussion have entered the board, but I thought I'd create an "official" thread for feedback, and ping the Narnia list so we can all discuss our thoughts, excitement, enjoyment, etc. about the film.

I have to warn you! THERE WILL BE SPOILERS. This is for folks who have ALREADY SEEN THE FILM. If you haven't, and don't want spoilers....hit the little X on the top-right of this window.

I have written two reviews, one for NarniaWeb.com, and one for Amazon.com. But those have word limits, and there are other things I wish to discuss, the little elements I have time to pick on.

You can read my NarniaWeb review here: http://www.narniaweb.com/reviewShow.asp?id=68

And the Amazon.com review here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B00005JO1V/ref=cm_rev_next/002-4272324-0450453?%5Fencoding=UTF8&customer-reviews.sort%5Fby=-SubmissionDate&n=562436&s=theatrical&customer-reviews.start=31

So tell me what YOU thought? Was it too long? Too short? Were the roles well-cast? Did you agree with me that Aslan just seemed too small? More of the tame side? How about the music? Battle action? Witch? Scenery? Special effects? I think Patrick Kake (General Orieus) got way too little screen time.

TOPICS: Books/Literature; TV/Movies
KEYWORDS: aslan; cslewis; film; lewis; lww; movie; moviereview; movies; narnia; wardrobe
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-2021-4041-6061-69 next last
To: DaveLoneRanger

Just got back from the 8PM Sunday show; the earlier showings were sold out but ours was ~2/3 full.

Loved it. CS Lewis was such a gentle writer for kids, and that comes across wonderfully in the movie. It has a real peace about it.

I thought the special effects were a bit clumsy 2-3 times, which surprised me. But that was the only negative thing I had to ignore, and it was only 2 or 3 times.

Lucy is an amazing young actress - she had the perfect facial expressions scene after scene. Really delightful.

I wished Aslan had more of an edge to him, in the book they were afraid of him but loved him. The white witch was sufficently evil (for kids).

Overall it gets a solid A in my book. I look forward to the whole series (I hope).

GO SEE IT!!!!!

41 posted on 12/11/2005 9:36:51 PM PST by Ted
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

I thought the movie was good, but I don't think I'd call it great. It was very faithful to the book, and made its primary focus the relationship between the four children. Edmund was a little (only a little, mind you) more sympathetic than in the books based on this focus on the interplay between the siblings.

42 posted on 12/12/2005 5:15:53 AM PST by kevkrom ("Zero-sum games are transactions mostly initiated by thieves and governments." - Walter Williams)

To: StrictTime
We all thought the Santa character was poorly done. It made absolutely no sense, especially to those in our group that had never read the book. I never thought that scene worked well in the book, either. Feels tacked on. An easy way to get necessary props to the characters, but not necessarily the best way to do so.

I'm not so sure about "tacked on" -- it is stressed early on that it's always winter, but never Christmas. The appearance of "Father Christmas" is one of the first signs in the book that the long winter is finally breaking.

43 posted on 12/12/2005 5:21:37 AM PST by kevkrom ("Zero-sum games are transactions mostly initiated by thieves and governments." - Walter Williams)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 40 | View Replies]

To: kevkrom; StrictTime

I had been doing some reading about character development, casting and wardrobe (no pun) for this film. The movie-makers did not want Father Christmas to be just another shopping mall Santa, andduring their brainstorming sessions, which were long and deliberate, they had settled on trying to create the presence of, "a Norse warrior returning home from a long absence," consistent with the Narnia's long winter without Christmas.

44 posted on 12/12/2005 6:05:26 AM PST by Joe 6-pack (Que me amat, amet et canem meum.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 43 | View Replies]

I've never been much of a movie buff - I probably don't know "good directing" from "bad directing". I DO love the Chronicles of Narnia - from the first time I read them (at age 19) I saw the allegory VERY clearly. I was a little nervous how that would come through.

I loved the movie - I thought the scenery was pretty much how I pictured it, with the exception of one or two things. (The lampost was just a little different from how I pictured it... haha).

Alsan's size did not bother me at all - I felt his prescence was strong enough - of course I came into it with the expectation of "who" Aslan is to me.. :)

We went Friday night to the 10:15 showing... there was a line waiting to get into the theater - not as many little kids at that late of a showing. There were 7 of us - My husband and myself - my 21 year old son - and 4 teenage boys - all felt that it was a good movie - two of the boys who hadn't read the book caught the allegory.

I don't think you can compare to Lord of the Rings at all - the allegory is more clear in the Chronicles to begin with I think. I always appreciated the fact that the Chronicles could be appreciated by children and adults... where LOTR always seemed much more "adult" to me.

We all enjoyed it - I'm going to reread the rest of the books now - there were parts I didn't remember.. laugh. BUT the characters came rushing back... and I felt the same affection for them.. (or revulsion in the case of Jadis)

Oh - I enjoyed the beavers immensely - I thought they captured the spirit and personality of the "average" Christian - and even in the end the "average" Christian was in the Battle..

45 posted on 12/12/2005 7:02:14 AM PST by pamlet

To: kevkrom
I'm not so sure about "tacked on" -- it is stressed early on that it's always winter, but never Christmas. The appearance of "Father Christmas" is one of the first signs in the book that the long winter is finally breaking.

Yes, I get that. I just don't like it. In a story so full of Christian symbolism, the Santa Claus thing doesn't fit (for me).

46 posted on 12/12/2005 10:17:03 AM PST by StrictTime
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 43 | View Replies]

To: Joe 6-pack

I think I would have liked the book better if CS Lewis would have written in a Norse Warrior (who could have been a symbol for John the Baptist) instead of Santa Claus!

47 posted on 12/12/2005 10:21:41 AM PST by StrictTime
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 44 | View Replies]

To: StrictTime
I think Lewis was trying to keep the younger reader hooked, and an old-fashioned St. Nicholas isn't particularly out of place in a Christian-themed story.
48 posted on 12/12/2005 11:22:36 AM PST by Joe 6-pack (Que me amat, amet et canem meum.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 47 | View Replies]

To: Spiff

The CGI effects of the animals was nearly seemless. Their voices, however, sometimes did not fit their appearance and motions.

The costuming was pretty bad. The score was too.

The voices of the wolves weren't menacing at all. They sounded more like a meeting of a company's board of directors than a pack of bloodthirsty wolves. The score was really bad and sounded like it was written for an entirely different movie -- they should have used someone like John Williams. The movie as a whole overcame these flaws though.

49 posted on 12/12/2005 11:30:35 AM PST by DallasMike (Call me Dallasaurus)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 27 | View Replies]

To: So Cal Rocket

I read an interview of Adamson, and he had no idea where that phrase "It is finished" came from - too funny. But you have to give the guy credit, the movie was pretty darn faithful to the Christian subtext and the book.

50 posted on 12/12/2005 5:28:59 PM PST by Wicket (God bless and protect our troops and God bless America)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 36 | View Replies]

We saw the movie the day it opened. We loved it. My teens now have a new favorite movie. I thought it was very faithful to the book and the few things that may have been weak to some, certainly didn't ruin it for us. Considering what comes out of the movie industry these days and what they do to most books, this is unbelievable.

I'm not a real softee and don't cry much at movies, but the very beginning, when the kids were being sent away, and the passion of Aslan, really got to me. I was impressed that there was no wishy-washyness of the characters; good was good and evil was evil and no one was portrayed as being gay. The manliness of some of the characters was with dignity; and not pride or butchery. There was not cruelty on the part of the good guys for the sake of cruelty. Very good in the role model dept, IMO.

It's the most positive representation of Christianity I've seen in a long time (excluding "The Passion of the Christ).

51 posted on 12/13/2005 8:26:34 PM PST by metmom (Welfare was never meant to be a career choice.)

To: StrictTime; grey_whiskers

I thought the Father Christmas didn't really detract from the movie. I thought it gave more of a sense of authenticity to the movie although I realize that many people wouldn't recognise him. I think a Santa Claus type rendition would have detracted from the movie. After all, this is Narnia, not Earth.

52 posted on 12/13/2005 8:43:22 PM PST by metmom (Welfare was never meant to be a career choice.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 40 | View Replies]

I am a rare bird here....

I've never read the book, but I am a devout Christian, and I just saw the movie.

The movie is fabulous.

Visually stunning. Convincing acting. A great story line. Lots of thought provoking scenes.

The White Witch's offering Edmund the Turkish Delight was especially eerie.

I have one concern, and perhaps some of you who have read the book can tell me if this is how CS Lewis wrote the book: There is far more attention paid to the Witch than to Aslan. In fact, the children only spend a few moments with Aslan before he sacrafices himself. It seemed odd that the girls developed such an attachment to Aslan after such brief exposure to him, and they never really seemed to make the connection that he sacraficed himself for Edmund. Does the book spend more time with Aslan than the movie does?

53 posted on 12/17/2005 9:09:53 PM PST by kidd

It was great.

Too long? Not even close to being too long.

The effects were awesome, acting good, etc.

What is there not to like? I am not a Narnia nerd or anything, and I never read the book. But, I may have to see this one again. I do have one free pass I can still use.

54 posted on 12/17/2005 9:12:14 PM PST by rwfromkansas (http://www.xanga.com/rwfromkansas)

To: Talking_Mouse

Um, the Old Testament is not overthrown by the New.

55 posted on 12/17/2005 9:14:22 PM PST by rwfromkansas (http://www.xanga.com/rwfromkansas)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: Full Court

my impression was that he just made sure she was dead.

56 posted on 12/17/2005 9:15:20 PM PST by rwfromkansas (http://www.xanga.com/rwfromkansas)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: Darkwolf377

It wasn't much of a kid movie to me, but then again, I am still a kid at heart sometimes.

How was King Kong?

57 posted on 12/17/2005 9:17:57 PM PST by rwfromkansas (http://www.xanga.com/rwfromkansas)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: rwfromkansas
Haven't had a chance to see it. I used to race right out and see this stuff, but lately I just haven't had the need to see another splashy FX flick.

In the end I think I will still prefer the original, due to a few comments I've been told, so my attitude is, Why race out to see something you know you won't like all that much?

58 posted on 12/17/2005 10:06:33 PM PST by Darkwolf377 (Warning: Adult language, but great message: http://foamy.libertech.net/noxmas.swf)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 57 | View Replies]

We recently saw this movie. Four thumbs up and a couple of big toes.

My expectations are generally higher than what is actually experienced. This movie adaptation and the story surpassed my expectations.

If I had a vote during the Oscars for this movie it should get nominated for the people who created the digital animation meshed together with the real people actors and background. Absolutely the best I've seen to date. Flawless, yes I was keeping an eye out for cheesey animation flaws, quick sloppy editing and inaccurate animation body speed, hair and facial inflections. The job done with Aslan the lion was beyond excellence, really left me speechless. His hair, his eye and facial movements - Superb, outstanding, doesn't get any better than this. In sync forwards and backwards. No, I'm not exaggerating either, just to pump this flick up. I can't remember the last time I was so impressed with such quality. True "artists" worked on this film period.
This is art in motion.

And the little girl who played Lucy is an old soul. She played her part as if she were already a seasoned actress in a past life. I thought I was watching Vanessa Redgrave when Swinton spoke. Swintons performances never disappoint. Do Swinton and Redgrave share the same geographical upbringing to sound so similar? The girl who played Lucy and the young man who played Thomas the fawn should get special honors or least best supporting. They were so believable in their roles.
Once again Jim Broadbent and his English cast members prove that Englanders are the best at period character roles and Americans are better at playing contemporary characters. Watching British actors literally dissolve into their period characters leads me to believe that in real life they deep down want to never return to their personal contemporary lives, that's how well they do it.

This movie hit on all cylinders with out skipping a beat.
It wasn't too much of that or too little of this.

Thank you for FINALLY giving us the public back quality entertainment for the ENTIRE VIEWING FAMILY !

59 posted on 12/19/2005 4:38:16 PM PST by SunnySide (Ephes2:8 ByGraceYou'veBeenSavedThruFaithAGiftOfGodSoNoOneCanBoast)

To: GretchenM

"wow. I especially enjoyed him chomping into the White Witch."

aka

Taco Bell $1.99 Crunch wrap special...

(sorry, I couldn't resist) LOL

60 posted on 12/19/2005 4:46:00 PM PST by SunnySide (Ephes2:8 ByGraceYou'veBeenSavedThruFaithAGiftOfGodSoNoOneCanBoast)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-2021-4041-6061-69 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson