Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

'King Kong' Bombing Big Time at Box Office
FoxNews ^ | December 16,2005 | Roger Friedman

Posted on 12/16/2005 6:02:01 PM PST by heldmyw

'King Kong' Bombing Big Time at Box Office Friday, December 16, 2005 By Roger Friedman

What's happened? Peter Jackson's "King Kong" — a three-hour, $300 million extravaganza that wowed advance screening audiences — is a catastrophe in the making.

On Thursday, Kong's take was a measly $6,295,755 — off $35.5 from Wednesday's weak $9,755,745 opening day. Kong ranks now as the 21st best Wednesday opening ever — a dubious distinction.

Something is certainly wrong. It could be the movie's daunting length, or even a slow middle section that would have benefited from cutting. The leads are all solid actors — Naomi Watts, Adrien Brody, Jack Black — but none of them is a star attraction. That might be the trouble, but I doubt it.

In fact, Kong seems like a no-brainer. Great special effects, and a main character — the ape — that is more three-dimensional than a lot of humans in movies this winter.

But there's some kind of snafu, and if Universal doesn't figure it out shortly, "King Kong" could turn into a king-sized headache.

(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com ...

TOPICS: TV/Movies
KEYWORDS: boxoffice; crap; entertainment; flop; kingkong; kong; movies
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101-123 next last

1 posted on 12/16/2005 6:02:03 PM PST by heldmyw
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: heldmyw

good.

2 posted on 12/16/2005 6:03:07 PM PST by oceanview
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Boy, is THIS a premature article. Things could be very different after the weekend grosses come in.

3 posted on 12/16/2005 6:03:56 PM PST by JennysCool (Non-Y2K-Compliant)

Good news, Hollywood made it's bed.

4 posted on 12/16/2005 6:04:11 PM PST by ncountylee (Dead terrorists smell like victory)

To: oceanview
good.

better.

5 posted on 12/16/2005 6:04:26 PM PST by Revolting cat! ("In the end, nothing explains anything.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Wonder what the PER SCREEN box office is.

6 posted on 12/16/2005 6:04:31 PM PST by Petronski (I love Cyborg!)

Maybe everyone is going to see the turd burglar cowboy movie the media has been talking about for three straight days.
7 posted on 12/16/2005 6:04:48 PM PST by satchmodog9 ( Seventy million spent on the lefts Christmas present and all they got was a Scooter)

To: Petronski

Whoops:

Should be "PER SCREENING" box office. It's a long film, it can't be shown as many times per day.

8 posted on 12/16/2005 6:05:39 PM PST by Petronski (I love Cyborg!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Narnia did gangbusters its first weekend and I can't wait to see it!

9 posted on 12/16/2005 6:05:53 PM PST by HitmanLV (Listen to my demos for Savage Nation contest: http://www.geocities.com/mr_vinnie_vegas/index.html)

Adrien Brody is a really good young actor in my opinion.

10 posted on 12/16/2005 6:05:53 PM PST by wardaddy (They took most of my Dixie heritage......they'll have to take Christmas from my cold dead hands)

The leads are all solid actors — Naomi Watts, Adrien Brody, Jack Black — but none of them is a star attraction. That might be the trouble, but I doubt it.

Solid actors? Maybe I'm out of it, a little, but I have no clue who Adrien Brody is, I thought Naomi Watts was a black model, and I can't picture Jack Black in anything other than a comedy.

DIE KONG, DIE!
11 posted on 12/16/2005 6:06:01 PM PST by birbear (Admit it. you clicked on the "I have already previewed" button without actually previewing the post.)

I don't know. I know we disline H`wood and the entertainment industry, but Jackson is more of an outsider who is fan friendly. Anyhow it's too early to dance on this flick's grave.

12 posted on 12/16/2005 6:06:13 PM PST by JAWs

To: JennysCool
THIS is a premature article

I think you're right on that one. I intend to see it this weekend, who has time to go to a 3 hour movie during the week anyway?
13 posted on 12/16/2005 6:06:33 PM PST by dagoofyfoot
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: wardaddy

He was incredible in "The Pianist".

14 posted on 12/16/2005 6:06:59 PM PST by mainepatsfan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

Plus I heard the picture cost 200 mil to make... not 300. It'll easily make that. How much more than that, who knows?

15 posted on 12/16/2005 6:07:02 PM PST by sabe@q.com (Yes, I'm a SW freak!)

To: dagoofyfoot
The box office point will be made after this weekend. Who knows?>p>I let my son drag me to it. About 20 minutes into it I was falling asleep, after an hour I was hoping for a forgotten root canal appointment.

The movie is technically very well done, but so what. How many times should an average movie be remade, just because we can make it look better?

Jack Black was good in a role he was well-suited for. Many of the others wasted. I thought she was better than Lange in the role and less than Faye.

16 posted on 12/16/2005 6:07:16 PM PST by bigsigh
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: mainepatsfan

yes....he's good in everything....sympathetic...which helps

any actor who is always endeared to his audience has a huge advantage over his peers

Nicholson....fine example of that

17 posted on 12/16/2005 6:09:38 PM PST by wardaddy (They took most of my Dixie heritage......they'll have to take Christmas from my cold dead hands)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: birbear
Solid actors?

I thought you would be happy that it's not starring Sean Penn, Susan Sarandon, or Richard Greer.

What' wrong with Naomi Watts, or Adrein Brody anyway?
18 posted on 12/16/2005 6:09:41 PM PST by dagoofyfoot
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: JennysCool

Yeah - and for a non-controversial, fairly wholesome film... not sure why we'd gloat about that anyway.

19 posted on 12/16/2005 6:09:58 PM PST by HairOfTheDog (Join the Hobbit Hole Troop Support - http://freeper.the-hobbit-hole.net/ 1,000 knives and counting!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

I wonder how the weather might have affected the box office gross too. Much of the midwest, south, and northeast have been getting freezing rain this week. Who's going to drive out in that for no better reason than to see a movie which can wait til the weekend?

20 posted on 12/16/2005 6:10:44 PM PST by sassbox (Weis, Weis, Baby!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

It will be fine.

The movie will make a profit and the masses will be entertained.

I am looking forward to the 2046 remake.

21 posted on 12/16/2005 6:11:21 PM PST by Rome2000 (Peace is not an option)

To: bigsigh

Production Budget: $207 million

Est. Marketing Costs: $50 million

Domestic Total as of Dec. 15, 2005: $16,051,500

22 posted on 12/16/2005 6:11:22 PM PST by systematic (Folding@Home for Team FreeRepublic (Team# 36120))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

I've seen the movie - everyone I know has seen the movie. Everyone reading this has probably seen the movie. Why should we shell out $11 more to see a colorized version of it?

23 posted on 12/16/2005 6:12:12 PM PST by kingu

To: systematic

and?

24 posted on 12/16/2005 6:12:53 PM PST by bigsigh
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 22 | View Replies]

To: HairOfTheDog

All these posters around here p!ssing on King Kong actually makes me want to go see it instead of Narnia.

25 posted on 12/16/2005 6:13:04 PM PST by ecurbh ()()A Festivus for the rest of us!()()
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

To: Petronski
It averaged $2,700 per screen on Wed. and $1700 per screen Thursday.

In comparison Narnia averaged $907 and $1,006 on the same days.

Bareback Mountain averaged $14,112 and $12886 on the same days.
26 posted on 12/16/2005 6:14:53 PM PST by birbear (Admit it. you clicked on the "I have already previewed" button without actually previewing the post.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

IT'S COLD, IT'S SNOWING, AND PEOPLE ARE STILL DOING HOLIDAY SHOPPING! PETER JACKSON IS AN IDIOT TO RELEASE THIS IN THE MIDDLE OF WINTER - AND ON A WEDNESDAY AT THAT! WHO IS GOING TO GO TO THE MOVIES ON A WEDNESDAY WHEN TEENS ARE IN SCHOOL (PREPARING FOR WINTER BREAK) AND ADULTS ARE GETTING OFF OF WORK? (Hmmm...I got laundry, pick the kids up, cook supper...oh yeah! I got time to watch a three-hour remake! NOT!) THIS IS A SUMMER MOVIE, NOT A WINTER MOVIE TRYING TO WIN STUPID ACADEMY AWARDS!

27 posted on 12/16/2005 6:15:47 PM PST by Extremely Extreme Extremist (None genuine without my signature)

What' wrong with Naomi Watts, or Adrein Brody anyway?

Like I said, I never heard of Andrien Brody. And I wasn't sure who Naomi Watts was.

If I was tortured, I couldn't tell you anything about either of those two. Not a damn thing.
28 posted on 12/16/2005 6:16:50 PM PST by birbear (Admit it. you clicked on the "I have already previewed" button without actually previewing the post.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

To: Extremely Extreme Extremist

Um... he released KK the same time he has released LOTR Triology.

29 posted on 12/16/2005 6:17:24 PM PST by sabe@q.com (Yes, I'm a SW freak!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 27 | View Replies]

Adrien Brody has an oscar for The Pianist and was also excellent in The Village.

30 posted on 12/16/2005 6:18:13 PM PST by sabe@q.com (Yes, I'm a SW freak!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

To: marajade
Adrien Brody has an oscar for The Pianist and was also excellent in The Village.

Two movies that never made my radar screen.
31 posted on 12/16/2005 6:19:26 PM PST by birbear (Admit it. you clicked on the "I have already previewed" button without actually previewing the post.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 30 | View Replies]

Well that's your problem.

32 posted on 12/16/2005 6:20:00 PM PST by sabe@q.com (Yes, I'm a SW freak!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 31 | View Replies]

Um... he released KK the same time he has released LOTR Triology.

Apples and oranges. LOTR had that holiday feel to it. Some movies are made to be released in a certain month. Should "Independence Day" have been released on a cold January weekend?

33 posted on 12/16/2005 6:21:18 PM PST by Extremely Extreme Extremist (None genuine without my signature)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

To: marajade; Extremely Extreme Extremist

Agreed, marajade... wintertime and the holidays is a really good time to release movies... People got to movies when it's cold out... He released this one about a week earlier than the LoTR movies... and I bet it'll pick up.

There's a lot of big movies out now... Narnia, the Potter movie... it's got competition for it's likely audience.

34 posted on 12/16/2005 6:21:29 PM PST by HairOfTheDog (Join the Hobbit Hole Troop Support - http://freeper.the-hobbit-hole.net/ 1,000 knives and counting!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

To: kingu
>"I've seen the movie - everyone I know has seen the movie. Everyone reading this has probably seen the movie. Why should we shell out $11 more to see a colorized version of it?"

The LOTR trio of films were well done. Jackson had great material to work with.
This remake had about as much potential as a remake of Godzilla or Wolfman meets the Mummy.

PS The Simpsons Did It!!!!!

It aint Slim W, but this'll gitr done!
Kill A Commie For Mommie

Seven Dead Monkeys Page O Tunes

35 posted on 12/16/2005 6:21:40 PM PST by rawcatslyentist (Why waste time learning when ignorance is instantaneous---Hobbes the Tiger)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

Um were talking KK here...

How would LOTR have a holiday feel to it?

36 posted on 12/16/2005 6:22:09 PM PST by sabe@q.com (Yes, I'm a SW freak!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 33 | View Replies]

I liked Adrien Brody's acting in "Summer of Sam" too. (Though I didn't like his character - he was gay on the down-low).

37 posted on 12/16/2005 6:22:11 PM PST by Extremely Extreme Extremist (None genuine without my signature)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 30 | View Replies]

To: ecurbh
This is Jackson's Folly; I've predicted it ever since I first heard about it. It was a stupid idea for him to remake this classic.

Time for him to go back to his castle and begin working on The Hobbit.

38 posted on 12/16/2005 6:22:13 PM PST by Rocko (this post kills fascists...and communists)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 25 | View Replies]

Well, I am hoping to see it tomorrow.

39 posted on 12/16/2005 6:22:46 PM PST by Knitting A Conundrum (Act Justly, Love Mercy, and Walk Humbly With God Micah 6:8)

To: HairOfTheDog

It'll be okay... Munich and Memoirs of a Geisha starts 12/23.

It may not beat Harry Potter or SW this year, but it'll do just fine.

40 posted on 12/16/2005 6:23:22 PM PST by sabe@q.com (Yes, I'm a SW freak!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 34 | View Replies]

Jackson struck me as a man of Western Civ in the LOTR trilogy "Men of the West etc..."

I won't see Kong because I am an animal lover and can't stand the thought of Kong geting killed in the end. If my wife sees my 6'3" a$$ man cry one more time she will leave me for a younger, improved, version.

41 posted on 12/16/2005 6:24:03 PM PST by MattinNJ (Allen/Pawlenty in 08-play the map.)

My wife and I saw it; yes we went to a matinee.

It is over 3 hours long; the special effects are spectacular; but I found it rather dull.

How many times can you do King Kong? This is #4, if you count Mighty Joe Young I and II. And, the story ends in a depressing manner.

It's too intense for young children, so there goes the weekend family movie experience. It's too long for small children, and the movie is generally a bummer. A really expensive, over-hyped, over digitized bummer.

42 posted on 12/16/2005 6:24:06 PM PST by Hodar (With Rights, come Responsibilities. Don't assume one, without assuming the other.)

It is dumb to release a long weekend/Christmas vacation type movie on a weekday in the middle of December.

The box office will pick up over the holidays, there is no real competition and all the kids want to see it.

43 posted on 12/16/2005 6:24:23 PM PST by Rome2000 (Peace is not an option)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 27 | View Replies]

To: Rocko

I don't he has the rights to Hobbit yet. I've heard he's working on it still.

44 posted on 12/16/2005 6:24:23 PM PST by sabe@q.com (Yes, I'm a SW freak!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 38 | View Replies]

Might be... it didn't float my boat either... It won't be one we see in the theaters... it'll be a DVDer.

45 posted on 12/16/2005 6:24:48 PM PST by HairOfTheDog (Join the Hobbit Hole Troop Support - http://freeper.the-hobbit-hole.net/ 1,000 knives and counting!)

oh, and I understand it to be my problem. :)

I tend to go to movies where I'm familier with the "stars".

Also, I hated LOTR. I'm probably the only person in the world to feel that way. I hated the books and I sat through the first movie, bored to tears. So I have no interest in giving "PJ" any of my money.
46 posted on 12/16/2005 6:24:49 PM PST by birbear (Admit it. you clicked on the "I have already previewed" button without actually previewing the post.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 32 | View Replies]

I think it's a little early to call it a bomb, but I had been surprised that it had been declared a box office winner before it was released. The original King Kong was a brilliant piece of film making, far surpassing anything that had ever been done before. However, like Casablanca or Jaws, it was done about as well as it could be done the first time.

A $207 mil production budget is an incredible risk. This has to be a BIG hit just to break even.

47 posted on 12/16/2005 6:25:31 PM PST by Richard Kimball (Tenure is the enemy of excellence.)

Well maybe you just haven't had a lot of EXPOSURE to a lot of stars.

My favorite right now hasn't had a role in a movie... mainly TV. Sam Witwer of the new BSG.

48 posted on 12/16/2005 6:26:20 PM PST by sabe@q.com (Yes, I'm a SW freak!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 46 | View Replies]

I love it when grouchy people who have no interest in the subject are among the first replies on a thread about the subject :~D

49 posted on 12/16/2005 6:26:23 PM PST by HairOfTheDog (Join the Hobbit Hole Troop Support - http://freeper.the-hobbit-hole.net/ 1,000 knives and counting!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 46 | View Replies]

Yeah, I'm not sure why he decided to spend all his Oscar capital on a re-remake.

I still hope he does The Hobbit sooner rather than later.

50 posted on 12/16/2005 6:26:38 PM PST by ecurbh ()()A Festivus for the rest of us!()()

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101-123 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson