Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Motorcycle Safety Expert Dies in Motorcycle Accident
Trib Review ^ | 4/12/06 | Mikey_1962

Posted on 04/12/2006 11:47:58 AM PDT by Mikey_1962

A world-renowned motorcycle safety expert from Squirrel Hill was killed over the weekend in a motorcycle accident in Texas.

Larry Grodsky, 55, owner of Stayin' Safe Motorcycle Training, died after a deer ran in front of his motorcycle Saturday night in Fort Stockton, Texas.

Grodsky, a Gateway High School graduate, had a decades-long love affair with motorcycles and trained celebrities including Ted Koppel and Mike Tyson on safe-driving techniques.

He was the nephew of Myron Cope, the longtime Pittsburgh Steelers announcer who retired last year.

His mother, Violet Grodsky, also 85, said her son began riding motorcycles while attending Ohio University, where he graduated with an English degree in 1968.

He spent a few years teaching in Ohio schools and doing freelance writing for several magazines before returning to Pittsburgh and opening his training center, Violet Grodsky said.

Grodsky, who was single, traveled the country attending training and safety seminars and was returning from a conference in California when the accident happened. An officer with the Texas Department of Public Safety said he did not know whether Grodsky was wearing a helmet or what kind of motorcycle he was driving.

Grodsky had many friends and valued the work he did for charity, his father said.

He participated in charity motorcycle events and did other volunteer work, Harold Grodsky said.

"That was typical of Larry to always be helping other people and thinking about those who had less or were suffering," he said.

Luke Hingson, president of the Brother's Brother Foundation in the North Side, said Grodsky helped the organization raise money for the victims of the December 2004 tsunami in Southeast Asia and for victims of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

(Excerpt) Read more at pittsburghlive.com ...

TOPICS: Hobbies; Local News
KEYWORDS: bikers; freepermc; hooligan; hooliganmc; hooligans; hooligansmc; mc; motorcycle; motorcycles
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-100101-133 next last
To: TXBSAFH
Hi TXBSAFH-

Why does your tagline say "What Does Not Kill You Makes You Stronger!" if you don't really believe the words?

~ Blue Jays ~

51 posted on 04/12/2006 12:30:01 PM PDT by Blue Jays (Rock Hard, Ride Free)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 32 | View Replies]

To: martin_fierro

He probably has one, but I'd call him a jerk.

52 posted on 04/12/2006 12:31:34 PM PDT by 68 grunt (3/1 India, 3rd, 68-69, 0311)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 33 | View Replies]

To: Battle Axe
The husband of an acquaintance worked on airbags. After the airbags came out, the motorcycle industry hired him to see if they could make the bikes safer.

Conclusion: NO.

Honda is about to sell their top of the line Gold Wing (pronounced Winnebago :0) )with air bags this summer.

53 posted on 04/12/2006 12:34:31 PM PDT by pikachu (For every action there is an equal and opposite government program - Fig Newtons 1st Law)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

To: pikachu

Are we both coveting the same model Gold Wing?

54 posted on 04/12/2006 12:35:55 PM PDT by ReaganCowboy (History books are written by winners.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 53 | View Replies]

To: Blue Jays

I am crazy but I am not crazy enough to ride a motorcycle. To many ways to get dead.

55 posted on 04/12/2006 12:36:02 PM PDT by TXBSAFH (Proud Dad of Twins, What Does Not Kill You Makes You Stronger!!!!!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 51 | View Replies]

GWs are really two wheeled cars..

56 posted on 04/12/2006 12:36:56 PM PDT by rahbert

To: dfwgator
Not much of an expert, was he?

I know your post was said in jest, but you should have shown a bit more discretion before posting that.

57 posted on 04/12/2006 12:40:53 PM PDT by MotleyGirl70
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Hi pikachu-

The technology is definitely around to incorporate airbags into contemporary motorcycle designs, it's just that most riders don't want to deal with the additional weight of the system or pay for the complexity. I saw remarkable video how airbags would reduce injuries in moderate-speed accidents.

They might find a market with touring bikes and full-sized cruisers...but it would be a difficult sell in the sportbike or standard market where performance holds the most influence.

~ Blue Jays ~

58 posted on 04/12/2006 12:41:09 PM PDT by Blue Jays (Rock Hard, Ride Free)

To: Mikey_1962

Rest in peace.

59 posted on 04/12/2006 12:48:33 PM PDT by sitetest (If Roe is not overturned, no unborn child will ever be protected in law.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Publius6961

I knew I shouldn't have posted this article...

60 posted on 04/12/2006 12:49:43 PM PDT by Mikey_1962 (If you build it, they won't come...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 45 | View Replies]

After 20 years and over 200,000 miles of riding in Los Angeles traffic, I hung up my GSXR1100 after being smacked around at 70 mph on the Ventura Fwy.

I had always told people who worried about me that "they couldn't hit me if they tried!"

Then one day some idiot lady wasn't trying....

I moved to the country and no longer need a motorcycle to commute sanely, but at the same time, dang, I miss it some days! I miss Sundays cruising to The Rock Store, or carving up Palos Verdes, or cruising the Angeles Crest Highway. But after the aaaacksident it was never as fun as it was for those 20 years. It really ruined it for me. I figure I got off lucky.

My advice for new riders...? Wear GOOD (read: thick winter style) leather gloves, a good helmet, and a good leather jacket. If you only wear bluejeans, expect to have scabbed up knees, and pray that the seat of your pants hold 'cause you don't want road rash there.

And consider this my best advice..... ALWAYS wear the same gloves, even on a hot day if you choose to not wear the jacket, wear the same gloves. This is for two reasons.... #1, your hands are critical to controlling your pitch/roll/yaw while you're skidding along at 70 mph, so think of the gloves as a kind of "oven mitt" for accident survival. And #2, your clutch, front brake and throttle control MUST BE perfect and perfectly consistent. Different gloves will throw off your ability to make those three controls work autonomically.

61 posted on 04/12/2006 12:50:34 PM PDT by MarineBrat (Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.)

To: fireforeffect
Sometimes your the windshield, sometimes your the bug.

LOL Thanks. My tagline needed changing.

62 posted on 04/12/2006 12:51:36 PM PDT by barker (Sometimes your the windshield, sometimes your the bug.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

You did nothing wrong. Some people are just jerks. (NOT TALKING ABOUT YOU!)

63 posted on 04/12/2006 12:54:42 PM PDT by 68 grunt (3/1 India, 3rd, 68-69, 0311)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 60 | View Replies]

When I saw this in the Sunday paper, I said "Ain't irony ironic."

This happening to a Pittsburgh guy, and the Pirates now being eliminated from playoff contention, isn't someone going to suggest maybe Big Ben should wear a helmet?

SD

64 posted on 04/12/2006 12:54:51 PM PDT by SoothingDave
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Hi TXBSAFH-

Successful motorcycling is all about balancing demographics. If one were to plot a sample of people involved in motorcycle accidents over the course of a year that also includes the following positive factors you would find that motorcycling has a risk not much different than many active outdoor sports:

• licensed
  • insured
  • registered
  • MSF-trained
  • helmeted
  • leathers, gloves, boots
  • high-visibility garments and accessories
  • college-educated
  • sober
  • conservative adult 25+ years of age

Fatalities and permanent injuries are vastly over-represented by people who don't meet many of those factors that serve to reduce risk.

~ Blue Jays ~

65 posted on 04/12/2006 12:56:45 PM PDT by Blue Jays (Rock Hard, Ride Free)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 55 | View Replies]

To: 68 grunt; martin_fierro

Truth hurts, I have lost two good friend who bought the American Chopper fantasy. One bought the biggest Harley he could get and lost control of it into a tree. The other hit by a car. I once rode but no more it just is to dangerious.

66 posted on 04/12/2006 12:57:30 PM PDT by TXBSAFH (Proud Dad of Twins, What Does Not Kill You Makes You Stronger!!!!!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 52 | View Replies]

To: rahbert
GWs are really two wheeled cars..

Winnebagos with bad stability. :)

67 posted on 04/12/2006 12:58:25 PM PDT by Tijeras_Slim
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 56 | View Replies]

See post 65. Both wore leathers, both wore helmets, both trained, both in the ground.

68 posted on 04/12/2006 1:00:01 PM PDT by TXBSAFH (Proud Dad of Twins, What Does Not Kill You Makes You Stronger!!!!!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 65 | View Replies]

Too bad the rider wasn't an uninsured illegal alien.

'cuz then your precious EMTs wouldn't have a damn thing to say.

I'll be sure to take a cheap poke at *you* on your next prayer thread, asshat.

69 posted on 04/12/2006 1:00:37 PM PDT by martin_fierro
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 66 | View Replies]

Sad.

When your number is up, your number is up.

70 posted on 04/12/2006 1:01:02 PM PDT by Supernatural (When they come a wull staun ma groon, Staun ma groon al nae be afraid)

To: American Quilter

"Not much you can do when a dear jumps out in front of you."

The only way to avoid deer is not to ride at dawn or dusk. Also, it helps to never ride in upstate NY, northern PA or west Illinois.

Here in the Northeast (NH, VT and ME) we have to duck the moose all night. Their eyes do NOT glow when illuminated by headlights.

71 posted on 04/12/2006 1:01:20 PM PDT by Poser (Willing to fight for oil)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

I've lost more than you have, now go live in fear and make sure you pass your fear on to you family and anyone else who will be impressed. I ain't.

72 posted on 04/12/2006 1:01:44 PM PDT by 68 grunt (3/1 India, 3rd, 68-69, 0311)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 66 | View Replies]

I was just pointing out the fact that on the road motorcycles, no matter how good you are or think you are are inherently unsafe.
73 posted on 04/12/2006 1:03:36 PM PDT by TXBSAFH (Proud Dad of Twins, What Does Not Kill You Makes You Stronger!!!!!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 69 | View Replies]

To: Poser

And they'll bite your sister.

74 posted on 04/12/2006 1:04:07 PM PDT by Tijeras_Slim
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 71 | View Replies]

To: barker; fireforeffect
Hi All-

Incorrect: Sometimes your the windshield, sometimes your the bug

Correct:Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug

~ Blue Jays ~

75 posted on 04/12/2006 1:04:56 PM PDT by Blue Jays (Rock Hard, Ride Free)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 62 | View Replies]

... I'll be sure to take a cheap poke at *you* on your next prayer thread, asshat.

Oh, good Lord, is he one of them, too? Hypicyte, hypecripe, hipocyrip? Hey, spell check ... hypocrite!

76 posted on 04/12/2006 1:05:40 PM PDT by 68 grunt (3/1 India, 3rd, 68-69, 0311)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 69 | View Replies]

"His mother, Violet Grodsky, also 85, said her son began riding motorcycles while attending Ohio University, where he graduated with an English degree in 1968. "

Article states he was 55 years of age; therefore born 1950-51. And he graduated from college at age 17-18?

A reporter didn't do a thorough job. Neither did an editor.

Too bad about his passing. I have friends among the motorcycle crowd, and they are good people.

77 posted on 04/12/2006 1:07:06 PM PDT by truth_seeker

I was just pointing out the fact that on the road motorcycles, no matter how good you are or think you are are inherently unsafe.

No, you're just trying to rationalize your cheap shot.

78 posted on 04/12/2006 1:08:18 PM PDT by martin_fierro
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 73 | View Replies]

To: 68 grunt
Hi All-

Did ya' hear that God is my copilot? He rides comfortably on the back of my Corbin saddle. Keeps me safe.

~ Blue Jays ~

79 posted on 04/12/2006 1:09:35 PM PDT by Blue Jays (Rock Hard, Ride Free)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 76 | View Replies]

You got it, Bro. His will be done, two wheels or four, deer, moose or even a dear ...

80 posted on 04/12/2006 1:11:20 PM PDT by 68 grunt (3/1 India, 3rd, 68-69, 0311)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 79 | View Replies]

prayer bump

81 posted on 04/12/2006 1:12:06 PM PDT by Tribune7

Trying to make a point. I have heard that say several times and have seen waht happens even when you are careful. Because others aren't. Sorry for this man and his family, I truly am and if it seemed cheap sorry. But the truth stands on the roads today motorcyles are not safe. I no longer feel I have to do unsafe acts just to prove I am a man. Been there done that.

82 posted on 04/12/2006 1:12:10 PM PDT by TXBSAFH (Proud Dad of Twins, What Does Not Kill You Makes You Stronger!!!!!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 78 | View Replies]

Trying to make a point.

You proved -- in this thread and others -- that you're a cheap shot artist. Congratulations.

I no longer feel I have to do unsafe acts just to prove I am a man.

If that was your motivation for riding, that's your personal problem.

That's not what motivates me to ride.

83 posted on 04/12/2006 1:25:27 PM PDT by martin_fierro
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 82 | View Replies]

Good Luck. And being there for my daughters and my family are my motivation for never riding a motorcycle.

84 posted on 04/12/2006 1:27:09 PM PDT by TXBSAFH (Proud Dad of Twins, What Does Not Kill You Makes You Stronger!!!!!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 83 | View Replies]

To: pikachu; ReaganCowboy

I'll send this thread to him and get his opinion. I could envision some protection at low speeds, but I think the way airbags work is to cushion an enclosed space. You'd have to trap the airbag between the offending vehicle and you.

Good Luck....

85 posted on 04/12/2006 1:30:28 PM PDT by Battle Axe (Repent for the coming of the Lord is nigh!)

To: JoeSixPack1
The Winnaahhhhhhh....
86 posted on 04/12/2006 1:33:45 PM PDT by Wings-n-Wind
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

Your are generalizing over what is probably just a lack of skill set on your part.

87 posted on 04/12/2006 1:36:33 PM PDT by CougarGA7 (There are no trophies for winning wars. Only consequences for losing them.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 82 | View Replies]

Musth be the speel cheekier's fauld.
88 posted on 04/12/2006 1:43:49 PM PDT by fireforeffect (A kind word and a 2x4, gets you more than just a kind word.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 75 | View Replies]

To: CougarGA7

Last year I was driving into work when I saw a chevy tahao (sp?) with the woman drivingit and talking on her cell phone change lane sharply, it was rush hour traffic and literally run over a guy on a sportster with the side of the suv. It knocked him down, part of his bike and his arm went under the rear passenger side tire. As in the case of this man it is not usually the rider, but someone or thing else that kills him. Unless it is a closed coarse or something of that nature riding a motorcycle is to unsafe IMHO.

89 posted on 04/12/2006 1:43:54 PM PDT by TXBSAFH (Proud Dad of Twins, What Does Not Kill You Makes You Stronger!!!!!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 87 | View Replies]

As for skills I rode dirt bikes for 5 years as a teen. I liked it and would like to take it up again, but I would never ride on the road.

90 posted on 04/12/2006 1:45:07 PM PDT by TXBSAFH (Proud Dad of Twins, What Does Not Kill You Makes You Stronger!!!!!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 87 | View Replies]

Thats why we need to look out, drive with brights on during the day and cover the horn button (I run twin Freeway Blasters).

I also wear a Roadcrafter with ballistic armor and my
last will and testament in the breast pocket.

91 posted on 04/12/2006 1:57:48 PM PDT by rahbert
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 89 | View Replies]

Like I said I would never ride on the road. And for the record the dayu was sunny, clear and he was wearing brown leather with a red helmet. I will never forget it. The women never even signaled.

92 posted on 04/12/2006 1:59:44 PM PDT by TXBSAFH (Proud Dad of Twins, What Does Not Kill You Makes You Stronger!!!!!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 91 | View Replies]

I had a good friend retired from the Fire Dept and went on a 6 month motorcycle trip. In Alaska on a blind curve a car when left of center and killed him. Motorcycles are, by their nature, dangerous. I sold my Harley right after his accident.

I remember one day I was riding down the street when I spotted an old man sitting at a side street a block and a half in front of me waiting to pull out. I got to within about 100 feet of him when he turned, looked at me and proceeded to drive right out in front of me. I nearly laid the bike down trying to avoid him. I still see the surprised look on his face when he saw me - it was like, "hey - where the hell did you come from!?"
93 posted on 04/12/2006 2:08:05 PM PDT by reagan_fanatic (Someday we'll look back on all this and plow into a parked car)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

And she could just as easily do that to a car. Hence why I say you are generalizing. IMHO

94 posted on 04/12/2006 2:08:23 PM PDT by CougarGA7 (There are no trophies for winning wars. Only consequences for losing them.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 89 | View Replies]

I stopped to render aid adn she kept saying she looked into her mirrors and did not see him. Two points:

1. A car, truck, or suv is easier to see, it is bigger.
2. If in this case a tahao runs up the side of my jeep cherokee at 30 mph I have an excellent chance of little or no injury. There is nothing between you and them on a motorcycle.

95 posted on 04/12/2006 2:13:46 PM PDT by TXBSAFH (Proud Dad of Twins, What Does Not Kill You Makes You Stronger!!!!!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 94 | View Replies]

Again, she could just as easily not see the other vehicle. Especially if she was distracting herself. The bike was probably in her blind spot. Cars can be there too.

Also when you are on a motorcycle and something like that is developing you have more options to evade than you do in a car.

96 posted on 04/12/2006 2:18:13 PM PDT by CougarGA7 (There are no trophies for winning wars. Only consequences for losing them.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 95 | View Replies]

Love my Roadcrafter.

97 posted on 04/12/2006 2:21:36 PM PDT by Tijeras_Slim
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 91 | View Replies]

Hi All-

My personal policy for riding in highway traffic is to remain in the left lane riding 10-12 m.p.h. faster than surrounding vehicles. This ensures problems don't "sneak up on you" from the rear. My highbeam is typically illuminated if there are a decent number of cars around.

By using these techniques one doesn't have to worry as much about dimwits yanking on their steering wheel in an attempt to exit the freeway at the last moment.

~ Blue Jays ~

98 posted on 04/12/2006 2:30:45 PM PDT by Blue Jays (Rock Hard, Ride Free)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 96 | View Replies]

That works. I will say, and this is true for when I'm in a vehicle too, I have excellerated out of trouble more often than I've ever braked out of it.

If you stay sharp and stay aware of the vehicles around you, you are very unlikely to get into an accident.

99 posted on 04/12/2006 2:33:57 PM PDT by CougarGA7 (There are no trophies for winning wars. Only consequences for losing them.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 98 | View Replies]

To: Tijeras_Slim
Hi Tijeras_Slim:

If I had plenty of money burning a hole in my pocket I would consider one of their HiViz models. It might also be cool to go with a two-piece Darien with gray bottoms and the lime yellow top if one is trying to keep it clean.

~ Blue Jays ~

100 posted on 04/12/2006 2:36:33 PM PDT by Blue Jays (Rock Hard, Ride Free)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 97 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-100101-133 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson