Skip to comments.Woman drinks so much water she dies
Posted on 01/14/2007 6:05:25 AM PST by mfnorman
SACRAMENTO, California (AP) -- A woman who competed in a radio station's contest to see how much water she could drink without going to the bathroom died of water intoxication, the coroner's office said Saturday.
Jennifer Strange, 28, was found dead Friday in her suburban Rancho Cordova home hours after taking part in the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest in which KDND 107.9 promised a Nintendo Wii video game system for the winner.
"She said to one of our supervisors that she was on her way home and her head was hurting her real bad," said Laura Rios, one of Strange's co-workers at Radiological Associates of Sacramento. "She was crying, and that was the last that anyone had heard from her."
It was not immediately known how much water Strange consumed.
(Excerpt) Read more at cnn.com ...
Absolutely. Her kids should own the radio station after the trial.
Yep, worst station promotion since the WKRP Turkey drop,
Sh*t!! Why didn't I make the connection! :-P
Not sure about air but pure oxygen can kill you.
There really should be a law to regulate Dihydrogen Monoxide.
I have heard of it, but not with just ONE gallon of water!
I'm inclined to bet this poor woman had no idea she was about to harm, let alone kill, herself. The radio station should have checked into the dangers of water overload before they held the contest. IMHO they bear some of the responsibility here. It was an accident waiting to happen.
That's why parents of newborns are warned not to give them water bottles - it can happen very quickly to a baby.
Really? So, IOW, she bears absolutely no responsibility for her own conduct? Jeez.....and some folks wonder why people are winning $200 million lawsuits for spilling coffee on themselves....how utterly sad it is that we have slipped this far away from personal responsibility.
Normally I don't support lawsuits, but the radio station showed incredible negligence in having a contest without knowing the potential consequences of drinking too much water.
You would never see a radio station holding a contest for the person who can drink the most alcohol, as it is common knowlege that drinking too much alcohol is potentially deadly. But there is enough information out there about the consequences of drinking too much water, that limited due diligence should have been able to discover.
Hmmmmm OMGoodness! Years ago while still in the Navy, we had just left Jamaica where pot was good, cheap, and everywhere the Captain gave a surprise urine test to EVERYONE.
For those, including myself who indulged in the Jamaican culture were told to pass the test we should consume water like there wasn't going to be any tomorrow.
Drink water, GO, drink water, GO, drink water, GO till you really were'nt passing anything into the little cup except water. I swear I must have drank 5 gallons within a 2 hour time.
I find it difficult to believe that drinking water that is "too pure" is in any way dangerous. I understand that one can drink a toxic amount, of water, but the level of purity can't hurt you.
Because you drank too much...water?
I'm glad I was not drinking coffee when I read this.
I'm taking a shipboard medical course right now- the other day the instructor said that sports drinks should be diluted 3:1 water to gatorade- the sugar in those drinks prevents rapid uptake of electrolytes in cases of moderate to severe dehydration.
Okay, lets assume for a moment that the radio station is negligent, even grossly negligent. Wouldn't this same negligence also apply to the woman? After all, she was not forced to consume a fatal amount of dihydromonoxide, she did so of her own free will. She voluntarily entered the contest and no one forced her to participate.
I see these sorts of frivolous law suits and their consequences everywhere I look. They are killing the general aviation industry, the medical industry, and business as a whole because businesses are having to cover themselves for every conceivable circumstance where some dipwad will misuse their product, like trying to use a hair dryer in the bathtub. It has gotten to the point where you simply cannot buy sufficient insurance coverage to protect yourself against this sort of crap.
Support this if you want, but ultimately you will pay the price in higher insurance premiums and higher cost for products. Ultimately, the only ones who really win are the lawyers.....and that is no accident.
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!!!"
We were also given salt tablets when I was in VN, at the start of
the chow line.
Alongside the salt tablets was an experimental (we didn`t know it) malaria
tablet. The Gov later found out their was health risks with that if I
Not really. Like everything else, to much is bad for you
It was a play on words. The women's last name is Strange.
water intoxication? never in my life have i heard of that"
Water in excess amounts washes out your electrolytes. If your metabolism gets all out of whack, you can die.
Having said that- I nominate her for a 2007 finalist for the Darwin awards. She died for an electronic toy. Something she didn't NEED to live her daily life.
Oh I thought you meant it was strange that she died because she drank to much water. I didn't read what her name was
She had three kids. You have to die without passing on genes to qualify.
You're not kidding. Go check out the horrors of this chemical here: DHMO.org. Our rivers, streams and oceans are full of the stuff!
of all the ways to commit suicide and thats how you choose to do it
My guess is all the contestants had to sign some sort of contract indicating the radio station would not beheld liable in case of accident/injury.
what's the radio station saying about this?
I don't listen to it so I don't know if they've said anything on air, but the newspaper report said:
"Phone calls and e-mails to The End [its moniker] and its parent company, Entercom, were not returned Saturday. Two employees standing outside the radio station's Foothill Farms building referred all questions to the station's management."
Yup! Oxygen is a highly toxic and corrosive gas, in high concentrations and pressures. Just the amount of O2 in air can kill a diver who's gone past about 200 feet in depth. And while it's not in itself flamible, it is required for combustion, and will take a glowing ember to a roaring inferno in an instant. Also, oxygen can cause a "flash fire" when it comes in contact with certain petroleum products, or other flammable materials.
On the other hand, it really sucks when you don't have enough of it...
So a gallon of water and 1 hour later, I was sick and dizzy and was passing water for the next 2 days. I could barely play the show that night. HAOWEVUH:
Not ONLY did I get piano-boy's 100$ per diem, but I also had the cleanest colon in the band for the next week. But it's NOT something I would recommend ANYONE doing. Unless an OBSCENE amount of money is involved, and you don't have anything to do for about 48 hours other than shiver, sweat and run to the bathroom every 10 minutes.
I remember my father, CSM Gamecock, had a bottle of salt tablets around the house back when I was growing up.
You noticed that too. Besides this story being almost unbelievable, her last name is the first thing that stood out.
i'm certain that the radio station made every participant of this contest sign some sort of waiver that exempted them from any liability
what a trooper
Exactly. Strange circumstances, strange name.
Pure water can be toxic.
I thought that fainting was the normal physiological reaction to just having run a marathon.
Strange things happening in your neck of the woods!
"Not as rare as the article thinks. Read up on hyponatremia."
Not rare at all with babies. Don't give your babies bottles of water
He (almost) never prescribes water. He always tells them the same thing:
Beer & pretzels.
They laugh, but it works.
So who's going to get her Wii?
What is it about women and their bottled water? Nearly every woman has to have a quart of BW in her hand or she's not dieting. What a farce.
Here in Oregon we have the cleanest water in the world and they are buying it by the truckload. Talk about gullible.
Pray for W and Our Troops
I can't buy that one either. Can you provide some documentation?
Yeah, do the kids get the Wii?
You have to wonder if Ms. Strange somehow could be transported to the future and use a Time Phone to call herself in the past, could she have convinced herself from drinking herself to death?
the story never stated that she won it
"of all the ways to commit suicide and thats how you choose to do it"
death by garden hose..... has kind of a nice ring to it...
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.