Skip to comments.Woman drinks so much water she dies
Posted on 01/14/2007 6:05:25 AM PST by mfnorman
SACRAMENTO, California (AP) -- A woman who competed in a radio station's contest to see how much water she could drink without going to the bathroom died of water intoxication, the coroner's office said Saturday.
Jennifer Strange, 28, was found dead Friday in her suburban Rancho Cordova home hours after taking part in the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest in which KDND 107.9 promised a Nintendo Wii video game system for the winner.
"She said to one of our supervisors that she was on her way home and her head was hurting her real bad," said Laura Rios, one of Strange's co-workers at Radiological Associates of Sacramento. "She was crying, and that was the last that anyone had heard from her."
It was not immediately known how much water Strange consumed.
(Excerpt) Read more at cnn.com ...
Is this from Scrapple?
Warning: You croak when your back teeth float.
I agree that this woman did something stupid, blu. But the station was stupid also. Dumb, dumb, dumb all around.
More than dumb though. It's sad.
Drinking water causes cirrhosis of the liver... no, wait.........
It also causes swelling of the brain. This is usually what kills people. This happened a few years ago in a fraternity hazing after a pledge chugged a gallon of water or something.
Especially in the Ssouth Pacific zones.
I believe the tablet were pure salt?
I trained for and ran my first marathon last year, with the help of a coach and training group. I'm glad she talked about this with us because I never heard of it until then. Actually I had the opposite problem....during the marathon I couldn't drink enough water/Powerade to compensate my fluid loss through sweating. I ended up pretty dehydrated and nearly fainting at the finish line. One of the medical people saw me and got me to the med tent for an IV, and also gave me beef broth to drink. Except for the really sore leg muscles I felt good as new!
[Insert Ted Kennedy joke here.]
That happened to me when we hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. It was so bloody hot, etc that I kept drinking water. The more I drank, I couldn't understand why I didn't start feeling better. I participated in sports since I was 4 through college and had never had a problem like that before. Luckily we signed up for the steak dinner down there and I got some food, pop and peanuts (lots of peanuts) in me.
Those poor kids! The mom was doing a stunt to get them a game . I'll bet they never get over this. How sad.
Absolutely. Her kids should own the radio station after the trial.
Yep, worst station promotion since the WKRP Turkey drop,
Sh*t!! Why didn't I make the connection! :-P
Not sure about air but pure oxygen can kill you.
There really should be a law to regulate Dihydrogen Monoxide.
I have heard of it, but not with just ONE gallon of water!
I'm inclined to bet this poor woman had no idea she was about to harm, let alone kill, herself. The radio station should have checked into the dangers of water overload before they held the contest. IMHO they bear some of the responsibility here. It was an accident waiting to happen.
That's why parents of newborns are warned not to give them water bottles - it can happen very quickly to a baby.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.