Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: dead

Marrying into the same class is better? This brings up a question I had after reading my husband’s lineage. Did any Royals actually marry because they loved each other or were they all basically “business contracts”?

18 posted on 04/18/2007 8:58:09 AM PDT by HungarianGypsy (Fight global warming. Eat a cow.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

To: HungarianGypsy
Royal marriages are exclusively business contracts.

Sometimes (as in the case of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert) they fell in love afterwards.

But dynastic considerations were such that the pool of applicants is fairly small (and shallow).

Years ago, British royalty had to marry other royalty, but most of those are gone now, so they marry mostly into the peerage (Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon and Princess Di were technically 'commoners' but actually the daughters of earls). But those lines are dying out too, so it's only a matter of time before they have to marry into the dreaded 'middle class'.

35 posted on 04/18/2007 9:07:23 AM PDT by AnAmericanMother ((Ministrix of Ye Chase, TTGC Ladies' Auxiliary (recess appointment)))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies ]

To: HungarianGypsy
"This brings up a question I had after reading my husband’s lineage. Did any Royals actually marry because they loved each other or were they all basically “business contracts”?

Actually that's quite true. In days of old it was part of a business strategy to have a daughter marry into another Sovereign's family. It kept the peace.

47 posted on 04/18/2007 9:17:09 AM PDT by Nathan Zachary
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson