Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

FreeRepublic Saddle Club thread! - Thread 12

Posted on 08/07/2007 7:33:14 AM PDT by HairOfTheDog

The FreeRepublic Saddle Club - (very out of date) Who's Who *pics*

This is a horse chat thread where we share ideas, ask for input from other horsemen, and talk about our riding and horse-keeping. We have a lot of different kinds of riders and horses, and a lot to share, usually about our horses, sometimes about our dogs, gardens and other stuff we do. :~)

I have a ping list for horse threads that are of interest, and MissTargets will ping everyone most mornings. Let MissTargets and/or me know if you would like to be on the ping list.

So... like the previous threads, this is intended as fun place to come and share stories, pictures, questions and chit-chat, unguided and unmoderated and that we come together here as friends.

Previous threads:

The FreeRepublic Saddle Club thread - thread ONE
The FreeRepublic Saddle Club thread - Thread TWO!
The FreeRepublic Saddle Club thread - Thread THREE!
The FreeRepublic Saddle Club thread! - Thread FOUR
The FreeRepublic Saddle Club thread! - Thread FIVE
The FreeRepublic Saddle Club thread! - Thread SIX
The FreeRepublic Saddle Club thread! - Thread SEVEN
The FreeRepublic Saddle Club thread! - Thread EIGHT
The FreeRepublic Saddle Club thread! - Thread NINE
The FreeRepublic Saddle Club thread! - Thread TEN
The FreeRepublic Saddle Club thread! - Thread 11

New folk and occasional posters, jump right in and introduce yourselves, tell us about your horses, and post pictures if you've got them!

TOPICS: Pets/Animals
KEYWORDS: saddleclub
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-50 ... 8,001-8,0508,051-8,1008,101-8,150 ... 11,401-11,413 next last
To: PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain

You OK down there with these tornados?

8,051 posted on 05/02/2008 6:35:01 AM PDT by HairOfTheDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8047 | View Replies]

To: HairOfTheDog

Yeah, we are all fine:), thanks for asking.

Becky

8,052 posted on 05/02/2008 6:46:28 AM PDT by PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8051 | View Replies]

Whew! Well we’re hearing about them up here, and they’re showing a lot of damage, but I wasn’t sure where that is!

Was it bad last night where you are?

8,053 posted on 05/02/2008 6:48:51 AM PDT by HairOfTheDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8052 | View Replies]

I really can’t say:)...I know it rained and thundered some, but I slept thru it mostly. I really don’t think we got anything around in in the severe catagory, It was mainly to the north and west of Bixby, by quit a bit actually.

The bit of news I caught the tornado that was on the ground in OK, went thru a very unpopulated area...but maybe there was more that I didn’t hear about?

Becky

8,054 posted on 05/02/2008 6:52:17 AM PDT by PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8053 | View Replies]

I think much of the damage we’re seeing is in MO... but they kept saying OK as well.

Well, glad you slept through it. At least you weren’t worrying!

8,055 posted on 05/02/2008 7:14:46 AM PDT by HairOfTheDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8054 | View Replies]

I didn’t forget the camera:)...Here’s a few videos. Kristy and the lady coaching her says he did better last night...they think he was “having some fun” tonight.

He looks great! It is weird to me to see Harley running barrells but he looks like he is enjoying it.

8,056 posted on 05/02/2008 10:05:46 AM PDT by BladeRider
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8041 | View Replies]

Anyone know how long the diantheus will bloom?

Dianthus should be planted where they will receive at least 4-5 hours of full sun each day. They thrive in fertile, fast draining, slightly alkaline (pH 6.75) soil. Avoid over-watering because it may tend to turn the foliage yellow. Usually a weekly watering of established plants will suffice unless the weather is extremely dry. Dianthus will often reseed themselves, so don't be too hasty in removing spent plants from the ground. Perennial varieties may be propagated by tip cuttings, layering or division. Spent flowers should be removed promptly to promote continued blooming. Plant Dianthus species 12 to 18 inches apart and at the same depth at which they were previously growing. The crown, or top of the root structure, must be level with the surface of the soil. (Never bury any part of the stems.) Unlike most other plants, Dianthus plants should not be mulched. They require good air circulation around the stems at all times and must be kept as free from foliage moisture as possible. For continued blooming feed lightly every 6 to 8 weeks with an all-purpose (10-10-10) liquid fertilizer.

8,057 posted on 05/02/2008 10:11:22 AM PDT by BladeRider
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8034 | View Replies]

To: ecurbh

Your horse just ran into a tree with her face. Hard enough to make a thwack! noise and set her back on her butt.

I was cleaning stalls and I looked up because they were rocking and rolling out in the back forty, feeling good. Pony went one way and she was going to go the other way and changed her mind. I don’t think there’s a mark on her, and she ran off fine, but it ~cant~ have made her any smarter.

Cyn... don’t try to outmaneuver that pony.

8,058 posted on 05/02/2008 12:34:49 PM PDT by HairOfTheDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8057 | View Replies]

Watching her try to out-do that pony is kinda like watching a clown in big floppy shoes trying to do ballet. Graceful, she ain’t.

8,059 posted on 05/02/2008 12:38:35 PM PDT by ecurbh (Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8058 | View Replies]

To: ecurbh

Heh... that’s exactly what it’s like. I did go out and make her let me inspect her. It’s put her in a foul humor I think. She didn’t want to be caught.

I wished I’d have had the camera.

8,060 posted on 05/02/2008 12:57:34 PM PDT by HairOfTheDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8059 | View Replies]

LOL....great story:) You didn’t have your camera?

Well, I’m almost ready to leave to go to that class reunion I told you about. The two girls that I hung out with my whole school life are going to be there, in fact one I’m picking up and we are going together. The other one, whom I haven’t seen in 25 years will be coming late...she gets off work late....she is an instructor for Weight Watchers...:)...uh oh:). I’m really excited about seeing them, and several of the others.

Becky

8,061 posted on 05/02/2008 2:50:24 PM PDT by PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8060 | View Replies]

No, I didn’t have the camera :~\

Have fun... I skipped mine, but half of me thought it sounded like fun! Maybe I’ll go to the next one. :~)

8,062 posted on 05/02/2008 2:55:08 PM PDT by HairOfTheDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8061 | View Replies]

To: HairOfTheDog; Duchess47; FrogInABlender; PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain; All
Hey all, raining today, so its indoor work. It had been so nice for the last few weeks. Yard work is way ahead of schedule.

Alison and I did get a chance to take a short ride out back. The woods was still pretty wet and we treaded water in places. Kids had been riding 4-wheelers back there, but we avoided those spots. Jody was good for her first time this year, but she sure knows which way is home.

Derby day today and I will just have to go with the filly, Eight Belles. My gaming name is Belle. :)

8,063 posted on 05/03/2008 9:43:33 AM PDT by MissTargets
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8062 | View Replies]

To: MissTargets

Good luck to you, and to Eight Belles :~)

We plan to ride this weekend, but we’ve got rain today.

Our new grass is just starting to pick up and grow well. Today should be good for it. :~)

8,064 posted on 05/03/2008 9:47:28 AM PDT by HairOfTheDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8063 | View Replies]

Thanks...you have any picks?

Hopefully, the grass seed I put down comes up with the rain today. There were some bare spots where the pony tore up. We tie her out in the lawn to graze.

Yesterday, I bought some flowers, but they won't be put out until the end of the month. An area greenhouse has an open house each year and sells annual flats for $9.00. It is quite a place, with at least 25 large greenhouses. I came home with 5 flats, but you can go crazy in a place like that.

8,065 posted on 05/03/2008 10:02:43 AM PDT by MissTargets
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8064 | View Replies]

Pass the tissues Lady.

8,066 posted on 05/03/2008 3:38:51 PM PDT by mommadooo3 (Old concept in justice. If the law won't take care of it, it's just us.)

I am so sorry for Eight Belles. Dang... I don’t think I”m going to watch another race.

8,067 posted on 05/03/2008 3:38:55 PM PDT by HairOfTheDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8065 | View Replies]

I don’t think I”m going to watch another race.

My thoughts exactly. How awful for such a promising filly.

We laughed when Big Brown's jockey fell off. We didn't know that Big Brown spooked when Eight Belles fell.

So terribly sad..

8,068 posted on 05/03/2008 4:29:32 PM PDT by MissTargets
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8067 | View Replies]

To: mommadooo3

That was so heartbreaking.

8,069 posted on 05/03/2008 4:30:08 PM PDT by MissTargets
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8066 | View Replies]

To: tuffydoodle

Hi Tuffy

8,070 posted on 05/03/2008 6:48:38 PM PDT by CindyDawg
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7939 | View Replies]

To: MissTargets; All

Where’s Beaker?

8,071 posted on 05/03/2008 6:54:32 PM PDT by CindyDawg
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8069 | View Replies]

To: CindyDawg

I’m told she’s OK and will be back, but she’s got a lot going on right now. I hope she’s back soon.

8,072 posted on 05/04/2008 10:36:44 AM PDT by HairOfTheDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8071 | View Replies]

To: MissTargets; PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain; CindyDawg; All
A shy visitor to the pasture this morning :~)

8,073 posted on 05/04/2008 10:37:46 AM PDT by HairOfTheDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8069 | View Replies]

Ok. Thanks.

8,074 posted on 05/04/2008 2:56:45 PM PDT by CindyDawg
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8072 | View Replies]

To: FrogInABlender; BladeRider; PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain
Question for you gals RE: racking horses, and the rack being a 'hollow backed gait' that they can't do for long periods. I told her I'd never heard you guys say that.

A wet and soggy CTR

8,075 posted on 05/04/2008 8:24:53 PM PDT by HairOfTheDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8074 | View Replies]

Ahhh....look at the deer...that is so cool.

Good morning.

Becky

8,076 posted on 05/05/2008 6:09:54 AM PDT by PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8073 | View Replies]

To: HairOfTheDog; FrogInABlender
and the rack being a 'hollow backed gait' that they can't do for long periods.

I believe that it is more a conformation thing than a gait thing. None of mine move hollow backed, my old mare may not buy heck, she is 27 years old! Frog can probably enlighten you more on that since she has had/bred them a little longer than me.

Frog, how did your ride go? We went to Bucks Pocket in Guntersville Sunday, it was an OK ride. Mostly old fire roads. I will post pictures shortly.

8,077 posted on 05/05/2008 6:52:07 AM PDT by BladeRider
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8075 | View Replies]

Good morning. We finally went for a little ride yesterday!

You know how I like pictures of me... I can't explain my tongue being out.

I posted the pictures here: Sticking out your tongue, and other bad riding tips :~)

8,078 posted on 05/05/2008 7:38:13 AM PDT by HairOfTheDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8076 | View Replies]

LOL - then I forget to post the picture. I guess I need more coffee ;~).

Photobucket

8,079 posted on 05/05/2008 7:41:05 AM PDT by HairOfTheDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8078 | View Replies]

I can't explain my tongue being out.

LOL, don't you know that how your horse gaits all depends on how you hold your tongue!

8,080 posted on 05/05/2008 7:43:32 AM PDT by BladeRider
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8078 | View Replies]

To: BladeRider
I believe that it is more a conformation thing than a gait thing. None of mine move hollow backed, my old mare may not buy heck, she is 27 years old! Frog can probably enlighten you more on that since she has had/bred them a little longer than me.

Yeah I agree... I've never heard you guys say you can't gait very long and your horses certainly didn't look hollow and uncomfortable racking. But because of what she read, it sounds like she's got a gaited horse she won't let gait very much!

8,081 posted on 05/05/2008 7:46:27 AM PDT by HairOfTheDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8077 | View Replies]

Apparently. I am just not ready for pictures... ever. :~)

8,082 posted on 05/05/2008 7:47:32 AM PDT by HairOfTheDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8080 | View Replies]

I've never heard you guys say you can't gait very long and your horses certainly didn't look hollow and uncomfortable racking

We can rack on for several miles at a time. If it were not comfortable for the horse I don't think you could keep them in a rack, I would think they would stop all the time. You will see them racking out in the pasture all the time to, now if it were uncomfortable they for sure would not do that. I think that is just another one of those myths about Racking Horses.

8,083 posted on 05/05/2008 8:13:54 AM PDT by BladeRider
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8081 | View Replies]

To: MissTargets; HairOfTheDog; Duchess47; FrogInABlender; PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain; All
Here are a few pictures of a ride hubby and I went on. It is in Bucks Pocket State Park, jut north of Lake Guntersville and the TN river.

Headed into the park

Scary Horse Eating Drain Pipe

Looking up from the HEDP

Looking down from the HEDP

The river

Mostly old fire rodes until you get past the primitive campgroungs then it turns into single file trails.

8,084 posted on 05/05/2008 9:15:51 AM PDT by BladeRider

Pretty place. How did Shane do? Hope no tripping. Does G___ have more confidence yet? I have a few pics, but not alot. The ABHB people had great ones of us, but they wanted $15 for one 4x6. I was too cheap!

8,085 posted on 05/05/2008 9:36:37 AM PDT by HaveFaith
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8084 | View Replies]

To: HaveFaith
Pretty place. How did Shane do? Hope no tripping. Does G___ have more confidence yet?

I thought Shane did well, I don't think he tripped much, but he was spooking at everything, I think cause he has not been out alot and he needs to get back into the routine, he also may be picking up vibes from Gary.

8,086 posted on 05/05/2008 9:45:31 AM PDT by BladeRider
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8085 | View Replies]

While you guys were out getting wet and cold on Saturday, we had a relaxing TV day.

Mocha said he was not getting into that dog pile

8,087 posted on 05/05/2008 10:01:11 AM PDT by BladeRider
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8085 | View Replies]

I love those dogs. I liked the one with the pretty collars on them, also. Mocha is pretty, too. That does look relaxing. We just waited to get out and it really wasn't bad. We did move our campers across the driveway to higher ground and grass instead of mud after Fri. night, though. It was much better after that. I'm glad Shane is doing better. Faith has kept her stitches in "at least 5 days" and working on the 7th, so maybe she will be sound enough to ride in the 3 weeks he told me not to. She is mad as a hornet about having to stay put up and the other horses running around where she can see them.

8,088 posted on 05/05/2008 10:31:36 AM PDT by HaveFaith
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8087 | View Replies]

Pretty! Now that’s a river! Did you go in it?

And I must say that is one impressive pile of dogs you’ve got! :~)

Shoer just left here. Now for some breakfast!

8,089 posted on 05/05/2008 10:32:27 AM PDT by HairOfTheDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8084 | View Replies]

Oh ow... poor thing. That is a tough place to keep stitches in, so you’re both doing good. ... I hope she’s sound as a bell soon.

8,090 posted on 05/05/2008 10:33:55 AM PDT by HairOfTheDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8088 | View Replies]

I liked the one with the pretty collars on them, also

Those are two of the 3 puppies, the two girls. They look so much alike it is hard to tell them apart from a distance so they wera collars. The brother is the one on my chest and he is much bigger.

Faith has kept her stitches in "at least 5 days" and working on the 7th

Good! The would looks good, stitches come out in 7-10 days?

8,091 posted on 05/05/2008 10:44:00 AM PDT by BladeRider
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8088 | View Replies]

Pretty! Now that’s a river! Did you go in it? And I must say that is one impressive pile of dogs you’ve got! :~)

We did not go into the river, it was still a bit cool. I wore a sweat shirt all day. Horses went knee deep to drink is all.

Lucky for the dogs I have a big lap!

8,092 posted on 05/05/2008 10:48:39 AM PDT by BladeRider
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8089 | View Replies]

To: BladeRider; HairOfTheDog; HaveFaith

All great pictures:)...Even tho the riding bug has not bit me yet, I sure like seeing all of you all riding pictures:) And Blade, loved the dog pile:)

HF....hope your horse continues to heal nicely. Looks like your doing a good job so far.

Becky

8,093 posted on 05/05/2008 11:15:42 AM PDT by PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8092 | View Replies]

I’ve been mowing all morning...I’ve got all the ridingmower mowing done. Having lunch now, then will start on the weedeater mowing. I’m hoping to get everything mowed, before we get another rain.

Becky

8,094 posted on 05/05/2008 11:20:49 AM PDT by PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8090 | View Replies]

To: PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain; BladeRider; HairOfTheDog; FrogInABlender

Thanks, but our friends took care of Faith and gave her her meds since Fri. at noon when we went to the campout. I owe them bigtime. We just got back at 7pm last night.

Becky, you have done a ton of work on your house. It is really coming together. Good luck on the sale.

Bladerider, I thought they were the parents and puppies. I just love them. They look so soft you could just stroke them for hrs.
Stitches are just supposed to absorb. He didn’t tell us to come back unless we needed to. Hope we don’t. Swelling is down from when we left, but still bigger than the other one.
Hair: What did the shoer do? Do yours just not stay on long because of the terrain? Seems like he comes more than ours.

8,095 posted on 05/05/2008 12:14:01 PM PDT by HaveFaith
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8093 | View Replies]

Even tho the riding bug has not bit me yet,

It will, may not be next week, may not be next year-but it will when you are ready. In the meantime live vicariously through us! You can always come to visit and ride with us. Frog has more than enough horses to ride. She must be pretty swamped today cause we have not heard from her yet.

8,096 posted on 05/05/2008 12:18:00 PM PDT by BladeRider
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8093 | View Replies]

I thought they were the parents and puppies.

Nope, the red ones are all 4 months old and the one black and tan at my feet is 5 months old. He was an unplanned pregnancy, but we don't tell him that.

8,097 posted on 05/05/2008 12:19:37 PM PDT by BladeRider
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8095 | View Replies]

Trying to get on a few pics from the weekend ride.

Me across from Tom Seay, the host of the show. I just eased up there when he was talking. He is a big blow hard, but entertaining.

Beth on the trail

Me and Daisy on the trail

8,098 posted on 05/05/2008 12:22:16 PM PDT by HaveFaith
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8091 | View Replies]

Has there been much posting on horse forum about the Derby tragedy? I did not watch, after last year the Derby just kinda lost its appeal for me. I think they push those young horses so hard at such a young age its a wonder there aren’t more stress fractures or breaks, or maybe we just don’t hear about them. Now PETA is getting involved trying to get the jockey suspended. They jockey was just the rider, he was just doing his job. Lets pick on the little people (no pun intended) since the big people have powerful attornies.

8,099 posted on 05/05/2008 12:24:27 PM PDT by BladeRider
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8090 | View Replies]

Me across from Tom Seay, the host of the show.

Daisy is arching her neck so nice and pretty for the camera! LOL. Were the horses mostly gaited or was it a mix? Did you move along at the same pace we did?

Beth on the trail

I would have recognized that pink cast anywhere! Who'd she ride? Bob?

8,100 posted on 05/05/2008 12:29:06 PM PDT by BladeRider
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8098 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-50 ... 8,001-8,0508,051-8,1008,101-8,150 ... 11,401-11,413 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson