Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

'My Space' hoax ends with suicide of Dardenne Prairie teen
St. Louis Post Disgrace ^ | 11/14/2007 | Steve Pokin

Posted on 11/14/2007 11:06:54 AM PST by Clintons Are White Trash

His name was Josh Evans. He was 16 years old. And he was hot.

"Mom! Mom! Mom! Look at him!" Tina Meier recalls her daughter saying.

Josh had contacted Megan Meier through her MySpace page and wanted to be added as a friend.Yes, he's cute, Tina Meier told her daughter. "Do you know who he is?"

(Excerpt) Read more at suburbanjournals.stltoday.com ...

TOPICS: Local News
KEYWORDS: loridrew; meganmeier; meier; myspace; teens
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-100101-150151-154 next last
To: AmericaUnite

Internet crimes are generally Federal crimes. A friend of mine was harrassed and stalked by a former boyfriend, and one of his techniques was to send e-mails about her to her friends, her employer, etc. The local police couldn’t stop him, but recommended that she call the FBI. She did, they got involved, and he ended up on Federal charges.

I would imagine this has moved up a level simply because of the publicity it’s gotten, but this family should know that Internet crimes are often Federal level crimes (because of the interstate aspect) and they should go beyond the local DA.

101 posted on 11/14/2007 2:00:32 PM PST by livius
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 64 | View Replies]

To: newgeezer

Are you drunk?

102 posted on 11/14/2007 2:02:22 PM PST by Eaker (If illegal immigrants were so great for an economy; Mexico would be building a wall to keep them in)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 27 | View Replies]

To: NotJustAnotherPrettyFace; szweig
I never used PLATO per se, but did use its computer (a CDC 1604) briefly for some homework program debugging.
103 posted on 11/14/2007 2:03:01 PM PST by Erasmus (My simplifying explanation had the disconcerting side effect of making the subject incomprehensible.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 90 | View Replies]

To: khnyny
Thanks, but I beat you to it by a nonosecond. LOL.

Nonosecond (n.): The amount of time it takes for a chick to turn me down.

104 posted on 11/14/2007 2:04:51 PM PST by Erasmus (My simplifying explanation had the disconcerting side effect of making the subject incomprehensible.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 97 | View Replies]

To: Clintons Are White Trash

bookmarked for wife to read later

105 posted on 11/14/2007 2:06:19 PM PST by agooga (Struggling every day to be worthy of their sacrifice.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

This is tragic!

It reminds me of something that happened in a small community on the east side of Houston. The mother of a high school girl hired a hit man to kill a rival girl and her mother. Can’t remember any details right now but no one died as a result of it.

106 posted on 11/14/2007 2:07:40 PM PST by Ditter

To: Eaker
Are you drunk?

Nope, just playing the part of a modern American "parent."

107 posted on 11/14/2007 2:08:49 PM PST by newgeezer (In a perfect world, Amendment XIX would still be someone's stupid idea.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 102 | View Replies]

To: Erasmus
Nonosecond (n.): The amount of time it takes for a chick to turn me down.

LOL. Well, don't take it too personally. Some of my single guy friends were just complaining recently that "it's tough out there".

I misspelled it in my haste - it's "nanosecond".
108 posted on 11/14/2007 2:09:36 PM PST by khnyny (Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed. Winston Churchill)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 104 | View Replies]

Maybe try reading the article then.

What you are “playing” may be the way you live your life but projecting yourself upon these parents is neither accurate or fair to them.

109 posted on 11/14/2007 2:11:22 PM PST by Eaker (If illegal immigrants were so great for an economy; Mexico would be building a wall to keep them in)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 107 | View Replies]

To: szweig
I remember doing this sort of things almost thirty years ago on the UI-Champaign PLATO system.

I also remember using the UI-Champaign PLATO system. Never used it for picking up girls though!!

Hard to believe how far we've come (and in some ways, how far we've regressed!)

110 posted on 11/14/2007 2:16:23 PM PST by Dr._Joseph_Warren
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: ConservativeWarrior
This article is written like an afterschool special.

Absolutely. Did you notice in the comments underneath that others felt the same way? Lousy writing.

111 posted on 11/14/2007 2:20:30 PM PST by GOP_Party_Animal
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: dan1123

The home-based advertising, direct and online/email marketing agency being run by the assumed hoaxsters, Curt and Lori Drew.

http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=17721821&lsrc=results&p=Direct+Mail&csz=O+Fallon%2C+MO&fr=&lcscb=

Drew Ad Vantage
269 Waterford Crystal Dr
O Fallon, MO

Drew Ad Vantage
6331 Sprucefield Dr
O Fallon, MO 63368 map
district: O Fallon

112 posted on 11/14/2007 2:21:13 PM PST by sbMKE
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 94 | View Replies]

To: Eaker
Maybe try reading the article then.

I did read the entire article, thank you very much.

What you are “playing” may be the way you live your life but projecting yourself

Apparently, perception isn't your strong suit.

upon these parents is neither accurate or fair to them.

You must know more than what's in the article. I call it as I see it. If you take a look at the rest of the comments here, you'll note I'm far from the only one to see it my way.

Sorry if my comments struck too close to home.

What's really funny here is that you would be the one to point a finger at my provocations. Are YOU drunk? Or, just a garden-variety hypocrite?

113 posted on 11/14/2007 2:27:09 PM PST by newgeezer (In a perfect world, Amendment XIX would still be someone's stupid idea.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 109 | View Replies]

The stupidity and evil of that other family is mindboggling. They deserve to be sued to the hilt.

114 posted on 11/14/2007 2:27:53 PM PST by hershey

A few year back a buddy was asked by a friend to help her. She was concerned that her daughter was chatting with people that she should not have been. Without going in to detail suffice to say that the daughter was very trusting and we were amazed at the information we got out of her on "chat lines".

Eventually we put together a pretty cool software system to track these kinds of things. The parent could log in to a server and see what their kids had been or were doing. I'm sure someone makes stuff like this now. The liability issue was too much so we put it on the shelf.

Parents need to watch their kids but they can't all the time so they should use all the tools they can get. I would not let a child under 12 even use the Internet unless you are right besides them constantly.

What was done to this little girl was evil and the adults should pay for what they did.

115 posted on 11/14/2007 2:28:57 PM PST by isthisnickcool (Judy Ruliani - Could our next president be a drag....queen?)

To: Ditter

“It reminds me of something that happened in a small community on the east side of Houston. The mother of a high school girl hired a hit man to kill a rival girl and her mother. Can’t remember any details right now but no one died as a result of it.”

Wanda Holloway hired someone to kill the mother of her daughter’s rival for a cheer leading spot. Her reasoning was that the daughter would be so upset(!) that she would drop out of the competition. Sick.

116 posted on 11/14/2007 2:30:46 PM PST by Mila
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 106 | View Replies]

To: sbMKE

Date: 11/14/2007 Filed Documents
(Click above to view filed documents that are available.)
Business Name History
Name Name Type
DREW ADVANTAGE Legal
Fictitious Registration - Domestic - Information

Charter Number: X00353021

Entity Creation Date: 3/31/1999

Expiration Date: 8/28/2009
Owners

Name: LORI DREW
Address: 6331 SPRUCEFIELD DR.
O’FALLON MO

117 posted on 11/14/2007 2:31:19 PM PST by sbMKE
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 112 | View Replies]

To: ConservativeWarrior

Someone call the Whambulance.

Good grief. What happened to personal responsibility?

118 posted on 11/14/2007 2:32:31 PM PST by BurbankKarl
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

A is for Alluring

N is for Neglected.

If you let your 13 year old hang out online, you should know what they are typing and doing online, and you should unplug the computer when you see her type this. Bad parenting. Those kids are not your friends, idiot parents. They are your children and it's your sole job to protect them from danger and see to their needs.

119 posted on 11/14/2007 2:33:01 PM PST by GraniteStateConservative (...He had committed no crime against America so I did not bring him here...-- Worst.President.Ever.)

After reading the stories, I don’t see MySpace as being responsible for what happened. The blame falls on the ADULTS who set out to humiliate a 13-year-old girl. They may not be criminally responsible for the girl’s death, but they’re certainly morally responsible.

120 posted on 11/14/2007 2:36:46 PM PST by Polonius (It's called logic, it'll help you.)

And the surprise ending is straight out of the movies.

121 posted on 11/14/2007 2:38:41 PM PST by GraniteStateConservative (...He had committed no crime against America so I did not bring him here...-- Worst.President.Ever.)

Rather than drunk I now see that you are thirteen. Getting a thesaurus may help.

Good luck with that.

122 posted on 11/14/2007 2:42:15 PM PST by Eaker (If illegal immigrants were so great for an economy; Mexico would be building a wall to keep them in)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 113 | View Replies]

Something my mother taught me before grade school: It begins with “sticks and stones...”

I feel for the parents, but I hold the girl responsible for what she did. She wasn’t ten.

123 posted on 11/14/2007 2:50:46 PM PST by RobRoy (Islam is a greater threat to the world today than Nazism was in 1938.)

To: laconic

Bump for the wife to read later

124 posted on 11/14/2007 2:52:40 PM PST by Right Angler
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

No matter what the age, the ONLY person responsible for a suicide is the deceased.

125 posted on 11/14/2007 3:00:52 PM PST by RobRoy (Islam is a greater threat to the world today than Nazism was in 1938.)

To: hershey

I don’t think the reporter is putting forward the whole story here. The parents have domestic violence orders filed one against the other and there is now the matter of the pending divorce. Not an entirely flattering picture of the home.

Regarding the account of the events in questions; Temporary internet files should have shown the final messages that only the father reportedly saw, unless configurations were made to dump whole caches — not typical.

The “N for neglect” thing really bugs me as well.

Something tells me that at least in part, the case against the neighbors has been overstated and embellished.

The fact that two adults under active legal counsel are not naming the “responsible” neighbors is telling. As is the fact that they appear to have previously filed at least one small claims suit each, one against a landscaper and another possibly against an employer. The former tells me that culpability may not be so clearcut as the writer would suggest and the latter tells me that they are not avoiding suit simply out of some principle.

Not to discount the tragedy in any way, but I think the reporter saw heartstrings and neglected to look at the whole story.

126 posted on 11/14/2007 3:01:06 PM PST by sbMKE
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 114 | View Replies]

To: MaestroLC

>>Sick. Someone needs to pay.<<

That someone did...with their life. I remember being 14. I actually remember quite a bit of my world view at that time - my vulnerabilities, etc. My heart goes out to the parents. The girl CHOSE to end her own life. That is the single most important and relevant “fact” in this story.

127 posted on 11/14/2007 3:03:28 PM PST by RobRoy (Islam is a greater threat to the world today than Nazism was in 1938.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

To: DvdMom

I agree. If the Phelps group can lose millions (thankfully), then these “adults” can too.

128 posted on 11/14/2007 3:09:53 PM PST by Homer1
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

So so sad.

129 posted on 11/14/2007 3:18:30 PM PST by diamond6 (Everyone who is for abortion has been born. Ronald Reagan)

To: AppyPappy
On the one hand, I think it's a shame to deprive a teenager of the vast communication network that is the internet. They need it; they own it. They are in their element. On the other hand, teenagers need to be educated about what is out there. There are frauds and there are predators and there are scam artists. There are innocent-looking ringtone ads that can add hundreds of dollars to their cell phone bill. There are people who take pleasure in crushing the life out of others. There are wolves out there.

I think a good balance is to let them have at least SOME internet access, but the parents need to control it and monitor it, and they need to have "the talk". It used to be about sex; now it's about online dangers.

130 posted on 11/14/2007 4:12:14 PM PST by Sender (You are the weapon. What you hold in your hand is just a tool.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: laconic

Instead of smashing the foosball table I’d have methodically disassembled it down to every last screw. Then delivered the parts with a note saying “You can put this foosball table back together. We can’t do that with our daughter. Congratulations.”

131 posted on 11/14/2007 4:27:34 PM PST by HiTech RedNeck (Beat a better path, and the world will build a mousetrap at your door.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: msg-84

Agreed. But my agreement with you does reveal something about me. It is my own fault, but my expectations for the posting quality on FreeRepublic are woefully unreasonable.

I hate to admit it, but I - and evidently you, also - need to lower my sights here. It’ll keep us grounded.

132 posted on 11/14/2007 4:27:45 PM PST by pilipo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 61 | View Replies]

To: isthisnickcool
The liability issue was too much so we put it on the shelf.

The way software companies get around that is to put in the EULA that they do not promise that the software will do anything, let alone do anything right, and the maximum compensation under any legal theory is the lesser of $5 or what was paid for the software.

133 posted on 11/14/2007 4:31:50 PM PST by HiTech RedNeck (Beat a better path, and the world will build a mousetrap at your door.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 115 | View Replies]

To: Mila
That’s it! I had a senior moment and couldn’t remember it all, I knew a kind freeper would come along and tell me.
134 posted on 11/14/2007 4:50:34 PM PST by Ditter
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 116 | View Replies]

To: GraniteStateConservative

It has now been publicly disclosed on several sites that the name of the lady who perpetrated the hoax is Lori Drew.

Mrs. Drew is guilty of bad judgement and being mean and spiteful and malicious.

Mrs. Meier is guilty of signing her child online at myspace and allowing her to believe it’s normal to have a romantic “relationship” with a faceless nameless entity.

Kids don’t belong at myspace under any circumstances. In fact, they really have no business on most of the Internet.

I believe there is much more to this story than what’s been reported.

135 posted on 11/14/2007 5:36:17 PM PST by unsycophant
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 119 | View Replies]

So, my daughter got into this facebook and myspace thing, against my best wishes.

Well, it turns out my daughter, my oldest, who I thought was a straight a, church going “good kid” was leading a double life.

She’s 15, and the things my wife and I found out were nothing less than hair raising shocking. Alcohol, marijuana, boys, foul language, attitude towards God, etc.. Just blew me away.

I have 3 girls and one boy. I know now what people tried to warn me about.

I was that naive father...

136 posted on 11/14/2007 5:43:36 PM PST by Professional

Seems to me, after reading the entire story, that the alleged adults in this matter were no more mature than the teens they were supposedly raising -- and I mean all of them. THAT fact has much to do with the outcome in this case.
137 posted on 11/14/2007 6:08:03 PM PST by JustaDumbBlonde

To: RobRoy

She was mentally ill and they knew it. Someone in that state can be forced to kill themselves.

I’d say the adults that knew this was going on are responsible.

138 posted on 11/14/2007 6:20:48 PM PST by varyouga ("Rove is some mysterious God of politics & mind control" - DU 10-24-06)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 123 | View Replies]

Those people who did it should be infected with the Ebola Zaire virus.

139 posted on 11/14/2007 6:54:38 PM PST by Ptarmigan (Bunnies=Sodomites)

Update
140 posted on 11/15/2007 5:25:43 AM PST by iowamark

To: varyouga

“I’d say the adults that knew this was going on are responsible.”

I agree. They are responsible for what they did. She is responsible for what she did.

You say they knew she was menatally ill. I did not see that in the article. Keep in mind that I believe that, just as all human beings have blemishes here and there in their physical appearance, we are ALL mentally ill to one degree or another, or in one way or another.

141 posted on 11/15/2007 10:33:45 AM PST by RobRoy (Islam is a greater threat to the world today than Nazism was in 1938.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 138 | View Replies]

I really can’t believe that so called adults would act this way. Like someone else said—loss for words.

142 posted on 11/15/2007 12:53:55 PM PST by beaversmom

To: beaversmom

I remember hearing on Michael Savage that being truly mature is when people have children. It changes people and at the same time they mature truly. Sadly, that’s not always the case.

143 posted on 11/15/2007 6:03:22 PM PST by Ptarmigan (Bunnies=Sodomites)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 142 | View Replies]

To: Ptarmigan

I know what you are saying. These people had a child for goodness sake. How could anyone act like that with a child of their own. Must be a sociopath. Scary stuff!

144 posted on 11/15/2007 7:05:01 PM PST by beaversmom
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 143 | View Replies]

To: dan1123

Hey, that’s me.

And, oh yes, the Drew identification is very certain.

145 posted on 11/15/2007 8:58:51 PM PST by SarahW
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 94 | View Replies]

To: Aquinasfan
It's not OK and she's not fine. And consider this. I remember kids for whom every day of junior high was like this. It's surprising that the teen suicide rate isn't higher than it is.

It didn't help that the girl who killed herself was somewhat unstable to begin with, and was on medication. That fact was known by the adult woman who participated with her daughter to inflict emotional distress on the girl, along with an employee of MySPace.

Given the fact that there were 2 adults involved here, one of which was an employss of MySpace, it seems that this will be seen as a target rich environment by personal injury lawyers.

Mark

146 posted on 11/15/2007 9:33:58 PM PST by MarkL (Listen, Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

To: iowamark

Thanks for the update link...

147 posted on 11/15/2007 9:36:03 PM PST by Peace4EarthNow (Come to know Jesus as your Savior, so YOU TOO can be saved!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 140 | View Replies]

This is just terrible. I can’t believe adults were behind this.

148 posted on 11/15/2007 9:59:20 PM PST by Vicki (Washington State where anyone can vote .... illegals, non-residents, dead people, dogs, felons)

To: MarkL

Maybe I missed something, but where do you get a Myspace employee being involved in this?

149 posted on 11/15/2007 10:04:40 PM PST by iowamark
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 146 | View Replies]

To: iowamark
Sorry, it may not have been in the article. A local radio station interviewed the dead girl's mother. It turns out that the way the other family learned private information about the dead girl's MySpace account was from a MySpace employee, who agreed to help them.

Mark

150 posted on 11/16/2007 4:04:54 AM PST by MarkL (Listen, Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 149 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-100101-150151-154 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson