Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: george76

After spending time in my early career working with wolves, I have mixed feelings about this problem. Carrying your weapon and using it when threatened by wolves, and not feeding wolves, sounds entirely appropriate. Hunting wolves in the wilderness from helicopters or otherwise trying to eliminate their population is arrogant for someone who would chose to live in Alaska.

13 posted on 12/22/2007 9:25:48 AM PST by Rudder
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

To: Rudder; Eska; redpoll; RightWhale; Stonewall Jackson; proud_yank; Friend_from_the_Frozen_North

Many native villages have a hard time feeding their families the traditional way by hunting moose...because the many wolf packs.

14 posted on 12/22/2007 9:31:13 AM PST by george76 (Ward Churchill : Fake Indian, Fake Scholarship, and Fake Art)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies ]

To: Rudder
Hunting wolves in the wilderness from helicopters or otherwise trying to eliminate their population is arrogant for someone who would chose to live in Alaska.

Ariel wolf hunting is used as a wildlife management tool. What I resent are ecofascists who arrogantly condemn this process that has been prescribed by our wildlife management experts and is public policy.

19 posted on 12/22/2007 9:48:41 AM PST by AlaskaErik (I served and protected my country for 31 years. Democrats spent that time trying to destroy it.)

trying to eliminate their population is arrogant

Nobody has even suggested eliminating them. The aerial hunt has not been successful since few are willing to fly out for the expense and low return on investment. It is open season and defense of life and property is allowed even without a hunting license but nobody around here has reported much more than the one roving pack.

23 posted on 12/22/2007 10:01:00 AM PST by RightWhale (Dean Koonz is good, but my favorite authors are Dun and Bradstreet)

Rudder, I have a few friends that hunt from cubs and they don’t get all that many, in fact they do alot better trapping. Wolves are smart and once shot at stay in the trees. You can see them but 12 guage can’t get them.

Nobody in Alaska wants to see old wolf gone; kinda one of the things that makes this place so special. I saw tracks on my wood trail 1/4 mile from my house last week; too close; wish that I’d just hear them across the river.

When our house dogs go outside, its in 15x15x6 fence. I luv setting snares on sloughs and old kills; wolves seem to me to be smarter than most people too.

Wolves kill 6 moose for every moose harvested by a hunter in Alaska. Moose pops have collapsed in many areas due to combination of hunting and wolves. Alaskan tradition is every family deserves a moose for winter meat. Once that stops, you will see locals demanding massive wolf control. You will quickly have 2000 wolves rather than 20,000 wolves in Alaska.

In Sweden, they have 200 wolves, harvest 250,000 moose each year. In Alaska, 20,000 wolves, harvest less than 15,000 moose.

Once someone is killed, you’ll see change quick. I have had wolves follow my dogteam, then jump off trail when I came back thru. I’m lucky if I get within 500 yards of wolves eating salmon along yukon from my boat; man its tought to hit anything from the boat. They hear the snowmachine and all I see are tracks. I have caught a few when they had a moose or sheep in deep snow, they don’t take off until they have to.

Wolves belong here as much as people; but they must be effectively controlled and all that balance of nature junk is pure garbage.

Did you all see that german woman looking for wolves in BC. I never get that close to wolves, except pups in late summer.

44 posted on 12/22/2007 11:11:50 AM PST by Eska ( the re)

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson