Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Word for the Day, Friday, March 7, 2008 - Aphorism
Mirriam-Webster ^

Posted on 03/07/2008 5:11:09 AM PST by tioga

In order that we might all raise the level of discourse and expand our language abilities, here is the daily post of "Word for the Day".

Aphorism - \ˈa-fə-ˌri-zəm\

Noun

1 : a concise statement of a principle
    2 : a terse formulation of a truth or sentiment

— aph·o·rist \-rist\ noun — aph·o·ris·tic \ˌa-fə-ˈris-tik\ adjective — aph·o·ris·ti·cal·ly \-ti-k(ə-)lē\ adverb

Etymology: Middle French aphorisme, from Late Latin aphorismus, from Greek aphorismos definition, aphorism, from aphorizein to define, from apo- + horizein to bound

Rules: Everyone must leave a post using the Word for the Day in a sentence. The sentence must, in some way, relate to the news of the day. For extra credit add links to articles or pictures. The more teacher laughs the higher the grade. Have fun.

TOPICS: Word For The Day
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101-142 next last
The classroom is OPEN! TGIF !!!

1 posted on 03/07/2008 5:11:11 AM PST by tioga
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: xsmommy; secret garden; VRWCmember; Slip18; SoothingDave; Gabz; Soaring Feather; Guenevere; ...

Roll Call........take your seats!

2 posted on 03/07/2008 5:14:13 AM PST by tioga (Beware: conservative with back to the wall. Proceed with extreme caution.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: tioga

Present!
Apple for teacher.

3 posted on 03/07/2008 5:19:05 AM PST by Soaring Feather (I soar- 'cause I can....)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Soaring Feather
Thank you.

the obama cult video is SCARY.

4 posted on 03/07/2008 5:22:19 AM PST by tioga (Beware: conservative with back to the wall. Proceed with extreme caution.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: tioga; xsmommy; secret garden

Cradle-robbing perv checking in. Winter storm in progress. Roads were clear but snowing like a mother. Supposed to get 6-8” by nightfall.

5 posted on 03/07/2008 5:23:59 AM PST by CholeraJoe (I'm a Headbanger in an old man's body!)

Well, I can’t stand to listen to HiP Hop beats. Drives me nuts!

They all act as though they are in a trance.

6 posted on 03/07/2008 5:28:09 AM PST by Soaring Feather (I soar- 'cause I can....)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Mornin’

7 posted on 03/07/2008 5:31:57 AM PST by Gabz (Don't tell my mom I'm a lobbyist, she thinks I'm a piano player in a whorehouse)

To: CholeraJoe

the heavy rains melted most of the snow away here.....of course the river got high, near flood conditions.

8 posted on 03/07/2008 5:33:02 AM PST by tioga (Beware: conservative with back to the wall. Proceed with extreme caution.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: Gabz

Good morning! All is well with you today?

9 posted on 03/07/2008 5:33:25 AM PST by tioga (Beware: conservative with back to the wall. Proceed with extreme caution.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

A Friday aphorism: Beer - The number one aid helping ugly people have sex over the centuries.

(mea culpa ;-P)

10 posted on 03/07/2008 5:33:51 AM PST by MortMan (Those who stand for nothing fall for anything. - Alexander Hamilton)

To: MortMan
LOL - first homework of the day!

A+++

11 posted on 03/07/2008 5:36:38 AM PST by tioga (Beware: conservative with back to the wall. Proceed with extreme caution.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: Soaring Feather

I was just amazed.....the commercial had NOT ONE hint of a platform, just “obama, obama” chanting......gosh I hope those idiots don’t vote.

12 posted on 03/07/2008 5:37:58 AM PST by tioga (Beware: conservative with back to the wall. Proceed with extreme caution.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

I’ll let you after I injest more caffeine :)

13 posted on 03/07/2008 5:38:15 AM PST by Gabz (Don't tell my mom I'm a lobbyist, she thinks I'm a piano player in a whorehouse)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

That must be The Change he is talking about.

Everyone is or will be mind numbed robots.

14 posted on 03/07/2008 5:40:31 AM PST by Soaring Feather (I soar- 'cause I can....)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: Gabz; tioga
I’ll let you after I injest more caffeine :)

You'll "let" tioga what after more caffeine?!? And can we discuss it on a family-firendly forum?!? ;-P

15 posted on 03/07/2008 5:41:44 AM PST by MortMan (Those who stand for nothing fall for anything. - Alexander Hamilton)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

A4-ism. I know it well. When you try to print something in a foreign land and all they have is the European paper that is almost, but not quite, 8.5 by 11 inches.

16 posted on 03/07/2008 5:43:59 AM PST by SoothingDave

To: MortMan; tioga

Isn’t it obvious I need more caffeine.........?

17 posted on 03/07/2008 5:44:30 AM PST by Gabz (Don't tell my mom I'm a lobbyist, she thinks I'm a piano player in a whorehouse)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: Gabz; tioga
Isn’t it obvious I need more caffeine.........?

Well, yes. (But admitting that would make the good-natured teasing a LOT less fun!)

Go forth and stimulate yourself, FRiend!!! /innuendo

(And let me know if I cross any boundaries - I sincerely do not wish to offend anyone!)

18 posted on 03/07/2008 5:49:02 AM PST by MortMan (Those who stand for nothing fall for anything. - Alexander Hamilton)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: Gabz; MortMan

OK.......knock it off! NO sappho stuff in my classroom!

;^)

19 posted on 03/07/2008 5:49:34 AM PST by tioga (Beware: conservative with back to the wall. Proceed with extreme caution.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: tioga; MortMan

My, my.....a wee bit testy this morning, aren’t we?????

20 posted on 03/07/2008 5:51:56 AM PST by Gabz (Don't tell my mom I'm a lobbyist, she thinks I'm a piano player in a whorehouse)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

To: Gabz

Testy? Me? naw.....

21 posted on 03/07/2008 5:55:01 AM PST by tioga (Beware: conservative with back to the wall. Proceed with extreme caution.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

The aphorism "You can never get rid of the Clinton's" is proving to be true. If Obama does prevail, will he be the nominee or will some mishap or other enable Hillary to take over?
22 posted on 03/07/2008 5:56:11 AM PST by TruthShallSetYouFree (Abortion is to family planning what bankruptcy is to financial planning.)

To: TruthShallSetYouFree

A+++

I am beginning to think you have to drive a silver stake through her candidacy before she collapses.

23 posted on 03/07/2008 6:00:11 AM PST by tioga (Beware: conservative with back to the wall. Proceed with extreme caution.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 22 | View Replies]

To: CholeraJoe; VRWCmember

xsteen has dry ground down in Dallas, Vast, are you snowed in just a few miles away from her?

24 posted on 03/07/2008 6:14:55 AM PST by xsmommy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: xsmommy

good, xs is here.......time for my morning nap, the last couple of days out of the house have exhausted me.

I will be back in a couple of hours.

25 posted on 03/07/2008 6:20:20 AM PST by tioga (Beware: conservative with back to the wall. Proceed with extreme caution.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

don’t count on me for handholding, i have shopping and lunch plans this AM : )

26 posted on 03/07/2008 6:25:26 AM PST by xsmommy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 25 | View Replies]

To: tioga; CholeraJoe
I like this wftd and will go off in search of suitable homework.
We are supposed to get inches of snow tonight, which is more than we've had in 3 years. No snow day for kiddies though but it may be enough to cancel macho lacrosse practice. I hope.
27 posted on 03/07/2008 6:28:09 AM PST by secret garden (Dubiety reigns here)

A woman’s work is never done. ;-)

28 posted on 03/07/2008 6:31:48 AM PST by SoothingDave
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 26 | View Replies]

Hildy's 3 am ad may have been an aphorism regarding Barack Milhous Obama, but it was also a darn good ad for John McCain.
29 posted on 03/07/2008 6:34:16 AM PST by NeoCaveman (El Conservo Tribe, tribal name "Avoids Fort Marcy Park". Watching the Rat Fight.)

To: xsmommy; VRWCmember

Welcome to Texas - where the airport is snowed in, and your daughter is only a few miles away with no snow. We have odd weather, to say the least.

30 posted on 03/07/2008 6:35:27 AM PST by WhyisaTexasgirlinPA (Even my tagline is sad....I can't stand ANY of the candidates!)

To: SoothingDave

someone’s gotta do it, better me than an illegal ; )

31 posted on 03/07/2008 6:36:39 AM PST by xsmommy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

To: xsmommy; VRWCmember

I just spoke to a vendor in Austin, TX and he said it was 56 degrees and partly cloudy.

32 posted on 03/07/2008 6:42:11 AM PST by CholeraJoe (I'm a Headbanger in an old man's body!)

To: WhyisaTexasgirlinPA; NeoCaveman; VRWCmember; secret garden; SoothingDave

my SIL said they are expecting 10 inches overnight tonight. she is ready to SLIT HER THROAT, they have had soooo much snow in southeastern OH, it has been a recordbreaker. we are below the norm and i am happy as a clam about that : ) ready to moveon.org right into spring. i think the time springs forward this weekend, also.

33 posted on 03/07/2008 6:43:02 AM PST by xsmommy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 30 | View Replies]

xshub has tix to the Crosby-Ovechkin matchup on Sunday. i didn’t realize it was down here.

34 posted on 03/07/2008 6:44:41 AM PST by xsmommy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

We got home from some homeschool classes yesterday and it was drizzling a bit - not a big deal. I got the Marine out to light the grill and it began to rain - he's still trying to master lighting the coals and I swear within about an hour the temp dropped 20-25 degrees!!

We had driving rain, wind, and cold hit us like nothing I've felt in Houston! There we were, still working on the coals, in the cold, watching little bits of newspaper and charcoal ash flying all around us..... lol

Turned out to be the best fire he's ever had on the grill - our chicken was fabulous, as was the shrimp and corn.

The things we go through for grilling.....

35 posted on 03/07/2008 6:49:30 AM PST by WhyisaTexasgirlinPA (Even my tagline is sad....I can't stand ANY of the candidates!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 33 | View Replies]

F'n is an F-orism that describes many a liberal...
36 posted on 03/07/2008 6:55:21 AM PST by mikrofon (TGIF Bump)

We may get 2-4 inches on Saturday, up more towards Youngstown they are saying 4-6. Maybe that's been updated.

I'm heading to sunny Mexico on Sunday, but I guess I'll have to use the snowblower one more time.

The Pens game is on NBC nationally. Probably watch half of it in te airport before heading to Houston.

37 posted on 03/07/2008 6:57:40 AM PST by SoothingDave

Everyone I know is going to a beach somewhere for spring break. Except us. :-(
I may have to pony it up for passports after all.
38 posted on 03/07/2008 7:01:56 AM PST by secret garden (Dubiety reigns here)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 37 | View Replies]

A lot of great aphorisms will be lost to history, now that Buckley has ascended..

39 posted on 03/07/2008 7:03:15 AM PST by cardinal4

To: secret garden

I’m not going to the beach for Spring Break. I just got back 2 weeks ago, rainy and such as it was.

40 posted on 03/07/2008 7:26:44 AM PST by CholeraJoe (I'm a Headbanger in an old man's body!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 38 | View Replies]

OK, ladies and gents, I’m back and raring to go. Sri for the sporadic posting, but I have been having eye probs with the left one, and get ^&*^((* migraines. DX: Venous Stasis Retinopathy or Central Vein Occlusion or Central Macular Edema. The optho doc has been giving me monthly injections of Avastin (TM) although why a drug used to treat colon cancer helps this, frankly, is unknown, (no jokes here, people, I know you are cocked and locked for humor—nah, ga and sock it to me heheh and I don’t believe it’s approved for this by the FDA, but, who gives a damn, right ROTFL and so far my vision has been great outside of the already damaged spots on the ole retina. I also am sked to see a neuroopthomologist because it seems like I also have developed oculoplegia????

Now that the tech info is out of the way, I can happily return to the WFTD —hi—

IMHo, it is an aphorism that the recent NY event regarding the bombing of a recruiting center is simply the opening event of a new wave of terroristic acts. The problem with stating this aphorism is that in the PC oriented society, we simply seem to be unable to name the enemy.. OK, I’ll state it loud and clear : FUNDAMENTAL ISLAM IMI FUNDAMENTAL ISLAM
we are, good ladies and gents, at war with a religion, that’s an aphorism for you. Unfortunately, there is no easy answer to this. Any attempt to supress any activities, is a steenkin 1A violation, and any act (round ‘em up, internment camps) has a real bad smell of what happened under the dude with the mustache and the shakes who sent over 6M to their deaths during WWII. OK, we can’t do any “bad stuff” but darn it, it is an aphorism to be able to name one’s enemy and name it loud and continuously.

< END RANT >
BTYW, it feels great to be back, and a happy TGIF to every one of you. Smoke ‘em if ya got em, and pour yourselves the adult beverage of your choice, the stronger, the better. Sri I can’t join in, I gotta have a virgin mary, because I have been a friend of Bill W since 1980, but one can dream, right?

Anyhow, I don’t want to leave anyone out, TGIF, and that, too is an aphorism to be proud of.

GW SENDS
BT

41 posted on 03/07/2008 8:02:08 AM PST by gwmoore (As the manual for the Russian Nagant Reolver states" Target Practice' At the Deserter , FIRE".)

To: gwmoore
monthly injections of Avastin (TM) although why a drug used to treat colon cancer helps this, frankly, is unknown,

Actually, the mechanism is postulated but not yet proven. Avastin is a potent inhibitor of angiogenesis, or the formation of new small blood vessels. It works on cancer because it starves the cancer of its blood supply. Part of the mechanism of retinal damage is the body's attempt to grow new retinal vessels, or neovascularization. Avastin inhibits this, thereby minimizing further retinal damage.

You are correct, it is not yet FDA approved for this but is undergoing trials.

42 posted on 03/07/2008 8:29:22 AM PST by CholeraJoe (I'm a Headbanger in an old man's body!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 41 | View Replies]

Ain’t Spring break, it’s work. There is still a beach involved.

43 posted on 03/07/2008 8:50:37 AM PST by SoothingDave
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 38 | View Replies]

To: CholeraJoe
Tnx much, CholeraJoe!! I do know it works, because, I remember the doc telling me about neovascularization, but I didn't make the connection. At any rate, my vision hasn't gotten any worse, or less than 20/20, but I do have blind spots.

That, and the fact I had a closed head injury back in '99 kinda ruined my FAA medical. I miss flying, but for some reason, they take a dim view of those with frontal lobe damage sitting in the pointy end of things which go very fast LOL..

Greg

44 posted on 03/07/2008 8:54:14 AM PST by gwmoore (As the manual for the Russian Nagant Reolver states" Target Practice' At the Deserter , FIRE".)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 42 | View Replies]

I am still jealous. Last night I listened to a bunch of moms talk about all the beaches they were going to for the break - Destin, Aruba, VI, Curacao, Mexico...and I’ll be working in my yard, knee-deep in mulch.

45 posted on 03/07/2008 9:15:38 AM PST by secret garden (Dubiety reigns here)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 43 | View Replies]

To: gwmoore

That was no aphorism, that was a full-blown rant. But a good one. Rock on GW and get well soon.

46 posted on 03/07/2008 9:18:08 AM PST by secret garden (Dubiety reigns here)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 41 | View Replies]

Ah yes, the storm of the year has started it is supposed to snow until Sunday.

47 posted on 03/07/2008 9:25:48 AM PST by NeoCaveman (El Conservo Tribe, tribal name "Avoids Fort Marcy Park". Watching the Rat Fight.)

The only beach I’ve had the family to was on Lake Erie. Beaches are overrated for vacationing. I’d rather go to an amusement park.

48 posted on 03/07/2008 9:26:28 AM PST by SoothingDave
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 45 | View Replies]

Walking the beach or just sitting out there, reading a book and listening to the waves roll in and out is good for the soul. I prefer it to screaming kids and pushy parents, the usual scenario of amusement parks. To each their own. :-)

49 posted on 03/07/2008 9:31:27 AM PST by secret garden (Dubiety reigns here)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 48 | View Replies]

I tend to characterize favorite words or phrases and save them for a special cake I’m trying to bake when I see a hungry but unsuspecting soul, adding an axiom here, a canard there just for the fun of it and finishing the whole thing off with an icing of inedible, dry aphorisms.

50 posted on 03/07/2008 10:06:20 AM PST by Old Professer (The critic writes with rapier pen, dips it twice, and writes again.)

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101-142 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson