Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: nw_arizona_granny
Good morning.

There are things that my late mother used to call hyacinths for the soul.

A jar of good instant coffee can lessen the misery on a bad day, long after coffee has disappeared from the pantry.

I no longer smoke, but a tin of Prince Albert sits in my survival box with the coffee and some hard candy. There are also waterproof matches and a fire starter & tinder, along with fish hooks and line and needles and dental floss in a small metal box. The dental floss makes great thread for repairing torn clothes.

I also no longer drink, but keep a representative selection of boozes, both for barter and to smooth out really bad days. A couple of bricks of .22LR is good for barter and can keep you fed.

One item that I believe should be in every home is the “Foxfire” series of books. One can learn the basics of survival in a world without Wallyworld in those books while being entertained. It's too bad so many people don't read.

Water, warmth, good shoes and ways of staying dry. Mouse traps and topical medicines. There are so many things to think about and the election is only 8 months away.

Michael Frazier

246 posted on 03/24/2008 9:40:54 AM PDT by brazzaville (No surrender, no retreat. Well, maybe retreat's ok)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 42 | View Replies ]

To: brazzaville

One item that I believe should be in every home is the “Foxfire” series of books. One can learn the basics of survival in a world without Wallyworld in those books while being entertained. It’s too bad so many people don’t read.<<<

Yes, Yes, possibility that they are the most important books that one can own.

I have part of the set, I know some of my education on spinning and weaving came from them.

There are plans on the internet for making tools, weapons and so many things that we buy in the stores today.

Your list is excellent, wise and planned out, good for you.

Thank you for sharing it.

331 posted on 03/24/2008 12:23:24 PM PDT by nw_arizona_granny ( Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig. ... . Mark Twain)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 246 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson