Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Amy's Place ... Poetry and Potpourri ... April, 2008
JustAmy; St.Louie1; MamaBear; Billie

Posted on 04/01/2008 4:05:44 AM PDT by JustAmy

Welcome To....

'Amy's Place' welcomes all poets
and those who enjoy poetry.
'Amy's Place' is more than just about poetry.
Come in, relax, and share with fellow FReepers
your thoughts about any of the things on the *Menu*.

Enjoy! :)

Never Forget!

Bad Penny

Amy's personal guardian ~
the ever charming, lovable, huggable,

LouieWolf

Many thanks for stopping by. : )

TOPICS: Humor; Miscellaneous; Poetry; The Poetry Branch
KEYWORDS: amysplace; april; friends; friendship
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-50 ... 801-850851-900901-950 ... 2,651-2,664 next last
To: JustAmy

In commemoration of Chinese Almond Cookie Day, here are some actual Chinese Cookie fortunes--even though there is no fortune in almond cookies:

Confucius say you have heart as big as Texas.

You have an unusual equipment for success, use it properly.

Man who eat crackers in bed wake up feeling crummy.

Because of your melodic nature, the moonlight never misses an appointment.

Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.

You will gain admiration from your pears.

The wise adapt themselves to circumstances, as water moulds itself to the pitcher.

Never wear your best pants when you go to fight for freedom.

A starship ride has been promised to you by the galactic wizard.

You love Chinese food.

Someone will invite you to a Karaoke party.

Don’t behave with cold manners.

Help! I am being held prisoner in a Chinese bakery.

Don’t forget you are always on our minds.

From the same people holding the prisoner?

What you left behind is more mellow than wine.

There is no mistake so great as that of being always right.

Never forget a friend. Especially if he owes you.

A tub and a rub will change your day.

Suppose you can get what you want.

Eat your vegetable and you will be strong like Popeye.

A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Consolidate your interest while the lights are active.

Its about time I got out of that cookie.

851 posted on 04/09/2008 8:43:19 AM PDT by OESY
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 842 | View Replies]

To: Mama_Bear
Whoops, U2! Good Morning, Mama Bear!

852 posted on 04/09/2008 8:44:52 AM PDT by OESY
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 849 | View Replies]

To: Poetgal26
We went to Brisbane for the International Rotary Convention and stayed for a week, then went down to Sydney and spent a couple days there. There is so much of Australia to see and we were only there for 10 days, but long enough to know that we'd would love to go back.

Actually, we did get to do and see quite a bit. I got to cuddle a koala at a koala preserve, and feed some kangaroos and wallabies and "Lorikeets" there, saw a sheepdog herding demonstration and got to hear Aborigines play the didjeridu. We saw sites in Sydney; the Opera House, took a ferry ride around the harbor, etc. I don't think we could have packed much more into our short stay.

The only thing I wish we could have done is climbed the Sydney Harbor bridge. We watched people walking up over the highest part and I was so very envious, but I was afraid I might not be physically able to make it up there with my breathing problems. A few years ago I would have done it, for sure.

What a spectacular view! Doesn't this look like it would be a great experience?

This is a photo my husband took of the Sydney Harbor Bridge. I think those might be bridge climbers at the very top....it's hard to tell in this photo...

853 posted on 04/09/2008 9:17:09 AM PDT by Mama_Bear (My heroes wear camouflage!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 850 | View Replies]

To: JustAmy; PrissyMissy
How Sweet, Amy! Marissa's Artwork is Excellent!

I Found a Cute Kity Pic on the 'Net, Cropped it, Framed it, and Wrote a Caption it for Marissa. I'm Hoping to Find the Time to Learn how to Glitter Pics One of these Days, Lol. I'd Glitter his Ear Outlines, the Large Spot on his Back, and Possibly his Little Nose.

Love in Christ and Hugs to Marissa.

854 posted on 04/09/2008 9:19:32 AM PDT by Kitty Mittens (To God Be All Excellent Praise!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 810 | View Replies]

To: Mama_Bear; Poetgal26; MEG33; La Enchiladita; All; FRiends
I Love All the Pics you Post, Lori! Poetgal and Meg, I'm Glad you are Both Feeling Better Today. 'Dita, Thank you for the Compliment on the Pic I Posted.

855 posted on 04/09/2008 9:46:02 AM PDT by Kitty Mittens (To God Be All Excellent Praise!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 853 | View Replies]

Wow sounds so fun, I would probably wanna do all that you and the other half got to do, expect for the climbing part....I have Asthma too, and so no climbing for me...

856 posted on 04/09/2008 9:47:57 AM PDT by Poetgal26 (God bless the US Military and our vets! (RIP Sgt Matthew Maupin))

Wow sounds so fun, I would probably wanna do all that you and the other half got to do, expect for the climbing part....I have Asthma too, and so no climbing for me...

857 posted on 04/09/2008 9:48:02 AM PDT by Poetgal26 (God bless the US Military and our vets! (RIP Sgt Matthew Maupin))

Dear Amy,
I still do my taxes by hand on my own. A friend of mine e-mailed the other day that she likes to use the Turbo Tax software. FWIW!!
((Hugs))

858 posted on 04/09/2008 10:09:42 AM PDT by La Enchiladita ( "If you love our nation, stop illegal immigration," ~~ Melanie Bowers, age 13, Athens, Texas)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 845 | View Replies]

The mockingbird plays Attila every summer and dive bombs us from behind unless we make eye contact first.

Yes, I do work at a garden center! I can’t remember who I told what—I can’t lie to save my life! LOL

I’m the greenhouse manager, bookkeeper, parts orderer, cashier, chief cook and bottle washer...but I love it! The greenhouse is hopping this time of year, and keeps me hopping too!

859 posted on 04/09/2008 10:11:39 AM PDT by gardengirl
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 834 | View Replies]

To: JustAmy; Mama_Bear; pandoraou812; Kitty Mittens; Lady Jag; MEG33; DollyCali; GodBlessUSA; ...
I recieved this in my email this morning, and thought I would share it with my friends at Amy's Place:

Now That's God!

860 posted on 04/09/2008 10:13:47 AM PDT by yorkie (God Bless our Heroes in Iraq and around the world)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 838 | View Replies]

To: MEG33; GodBlessUSA

MEG, as always: Gorgeous!!:)

I would not have thought anyone would get here before GeeBee, but you did!! LOL.

861 posted on 04/09/2008 10:14:43 AM PDT by La Enchiladita ( "If you love our nation, stop illegal immigration," ~~ Melanie Bowers, age 13, Athens, Texas)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 824 | View Replies]

To: jaycee

Yummmmm. I used to make sourdough pancakes and biscuits all the time. I think I kept the starter growing for ten years.

Do you want to share your recipe for the bread?

I have stocked up on flour and yeast, as I am pretty certain that there will be a flour shortage in the future. It already costs three times more than it cost six months ago. I also picked up a 25 lb. bag of bread flour at Sam’s club last week.

Thanks for reminding me of ‘sourdough’. I’m going to make the starter today!

862 posted on 04/09/2008 10:28:17 AM PDT by yorkie (God Bless our Heroes in Iraq and around the world)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 832 | View Replies]

It has been chilly here, 5 miles from the coast; we barely broke above 50 yesterday. I worried about my momma hummer during winter storms here, but she did fine. One thing I finally noticed was that the nest was very well secured to the branch she chose. In the hummer’s case, she used spider webbing for this, and some of the plant material is wound around the branch also.

863 posted on 04/09/2008 10:34:14 AM PDT by La Enchiladita ( "If you love our nation, stop illegal immigration," ~~ Melanie Bowers, age 13, Athens, Texas)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 836 | View Replies]

What a spectacular view! Doesn't this look like it would be a great experience? This is a photo my husband took of the Sydney Harbor Bridge. I think those might be bridge climbers at the very top....it's hard to tell in this photo....

Once you climbed the bridge, did you bungee jump? I hear it's big down under, a real scream.

864 posted on 04/09/2008 10:35:36 AM PDT by OESY

To: jaycee

Jaycee, is this what your sourdough bread looks like? Oh, could I use a slice of that right now, toasted, with peach preserves. Mmmmm Mmmmm.

865 posted on 04/09/2008 10:37:25 AM PDT by yorkie (God Bless our Heroes in Iraq and around the world)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 832 | View Replies]

To: OESY

‘Dita say: Verry funneee....:)

866 posted on 04/09/2008 10:38:39 AM PDT by La Enchiladita ( "If you love our nation, stop illegal immigration," ~~ Melanie Bowers, age 13, Athens, Texas)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 851 | View Replies]

To: Mama_Bear; Kathy in Alaska

Have you shared some of your Australia trip experiences with Kathy in Alaska? She also has travelled there and, IIRC, loved it too.

Australia is one of the few places outside the U.S. that I would truly love to see. I have a cousin living there, although we have not been in touch for some years.

I love didgeridoo. Did you get one of those, Mama Bear? I see signs around here that someone is giving didgeridoo lessons...hmmmm.

867 posted on 04/09/2008 10:43:36 AM PDT by La Enchiladita ( "If you love our nation, stop illegal immigration," ~~ Melanie Bowers, age 13, Athens, Texas)

To: yorkie; jaycee

Hi Yorkie!!

I think, if Jaycee is on schedule, that sourdough bread should be in the oven as we speak!!

(Wondering to myself how well that stuff mails....:)

868 posted on 04/09/2008 10:47:07 AM PDT by La Enchiladita ( "If you love our nation, stop illegal immigration," ~~ Melanie Bowers, age 13, Athens, Texas)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 862 | View Replies]

To: La Enchiladita

‘Dita, you don’t have to wonder how it smells - the picture is a ‘Scratch and Sniff’. ;-)

I think we should all go over to her place, and help her ‘get rid’ of it! Tee hee!

869 posted on 04/09/2008 10:51:38 AM PDT by yorkie (God Bless our Heroes in Iraq and around the world)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 868 | View Replies]

To: yorkie

Beautiful, Yorkie. Thanks for sharing it!

870 posted on 04/09/2008 10:54:06 AM PDT by LUV W (The Republican Party is strongest when it is fearlessly conservative! RL \:D/)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 860 | View Replies]

Here is an interesting ‘take’ on the didgeridoo with drums:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VF_Hw8l01LI&feature=related

871 posted on 04/09/2008 10:58:14 AM PDT by yorkie (God Bless our Heroes in Iraq and around the world)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 867 | View Replies]

To: All; Kitty Mittens; Poetgal26; gardengirl; La Enchiladita; yorkie; OESY
I have lunch appointment and need to take off, I'm running late.

I will be back later to catch up with my pings.

Have fun!

872 posted on 04/09/2008 11:24:09 AM PDT by Mama_Bear (My heroes wear camouflage!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 859 | View Replies]

To: yorkie; La Enchiladita
The didgeridoo is a fascinating instrument, especially those made (somewhat crudely) by the aborigines. Strangely, Haitians have a similar looking musical instrument.

873 posted on 04/09/2008 11:26:10 AM PDT by OESY
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 871 | View Replies]

‘Dita, you don’t have to wonder how it smells ...

I know how it smells, I wonder how it mails.

874 posted on 04/09/2008 11:30:11 AM PDT by La Enchiladita ( "If you love our nation, stop illegal immigration," ~~ Melanie Bowers, age 13, Athens, Texas)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 869 | View Replies]

Let’s get her to FAX us a loaf!

875 posted on 04/09/2008 11:58:04 AM PDT by yorkie (God Bless our Heroes in Iraq and around the world)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 874 | View Replies]

Let’s get her to FAX us a loaf!

876 posted on 04/09/2008 11:58:08 AM PDT by yorkie (God Bless our Heroes in Iraq and around the world)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 874 | View Replies]

Hiya there, how ya doing today friend? *hugs*

877 posted on 04/09/2008 12:07:37 PM PDT by Poetgal26 (God bless the US Military and our vets! (RIP Sgt Matthew Maupin))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 876 | View Replies]

Hi, sweetie! I’m doing great! I just put a Grits Casserole in the oven - can hardly wait for it to finish baking! (It has grits, velveeta cheese, eggs, butter, garlic, tabasco - and is good hot OR cold.)

How are you and Q doing today? I hope you are feeling MUCH better! It’s a bummer to be ‘under the weather’!

878 posted on 04/09/2008 12:13:59 PM PDT by yorkie (God Bless our Heroes in Iraq and around the world)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 877 | View Replies]

Sounds yummy, but I would perfer to eat that warm myself...
I am feeling a lil better, just did a lil cleaning in the kitchen, now I am tired and ready for a nap....lol

Q is doing a lil better today, he had some blood work yesterday to check his lead levels, so we shall see if the results are in tomorrow when he goes to the dr for a check up....He actually did pretty good with the blood work, but took my other half, and another tech to get him to not wiggle so much...

879 posted on 04/09/2008 12:21:03 PM PDT by Poetgal26 (God bless the US Military and our vets! (RIP Sgt Matthew Maupin))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 878 | View Replies]

LOL! (’took my other half and another tech to get him to not wiggle so much’)

I just remembered my son at the pediatrician’s (many years ago) - I think it took SIX adults to hold him down! ;-)

880 posted on 04/09/2008 12:25:38 PM PDT by yorkie (God Bless our Heroes in Iraq and around the world)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 879 | View Replies]

Me too

881 posted on 04/09/2008 2:15:59 PM PDT by Conspiracy Guy (I voted Republican because no Conservatives were running.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 797 | View Replies]

To: gardengirl
Yes, I do work at a garden center!

That's sounds like it would be an interesting job....not necessarily the bookkeeper, parts orderer part, but being around plants and flowers and helping people find what they need.

Speaking of which, I am trying to find a lavender trumpet vine and have had no luck. I had one at my other house, so I do know that they grow here (in the CA central valley), but I don't see it anywhere in the nurseries. I guess I will have to have one of them order it for me. I did find it at a place on line, selling for $68.00. Good grief! I don't want it THAT bad. LOL.

882 posted on 04/09/2008 4:58:10 PM PDT by Mama_Bear (My heroes wear camouflage!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 859 | View Replies]

Now That's God!

Oh, yorkie. That was such a touching story, it made me cry.

Thanks for the ping, and thanks for understanding that sometimes I accidently forget to ping everyone....old age and forgetfulness, I guess. :-(

883 posted on 04/09/2008 5:02:05 PM PDT by Mama_Bear (My heroes wear camouflage!)

To: All; La Enchiladita
One thing I finally noticed was that the nest was very well secured to the branch she chose.

My jays nest seems to be holding up fine too. I guess the parents actually do know what they are doing. LOL

I was out trying to get another photo of the mom on her nest this morning when the daddy bird showed up and fed the momma and then I saw a tiny little orange mouth just above the edge of the nest as the daddy bird fed the little hatchling. So, we have at least one baby bird in the nest!

I tried to get a picture, but it didn't come out. I am afraid to get too close to the nest and when I zoom in where I think the nest is, it's so dark in there I can't see if I have the birds in the view finder. I'll keep trying.

884 posted on 04/09/2008 5:18:31 PM PDT by Mama_Bear (My heroes wear camouflage!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 863 | View Replies]

I'd climb that bridge, but there is no way would I ever, in a hundred million years, bungee jump off of it! It gives me butterflies just thinking about it!!
885 posted on 04/09/2008 5:24:13 PM PDT by Mama_Bear (My heroes wear camouflage!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 864 | View Replies]

Have you shared some of your Australia trip experiences with Kathy in Alaska? She also has travelled there and, IIRC, loved it too.

No, I didn't know Kathy had been to Australia. I'm not surprised that she loved it too. Nicest people you'd ever want to meet.

I love didgeridoo. Did you get one of those, Mama Bear? I see signs around here that someone is giving didgeridoo lessons...hmmmm.

No, I don't know how we would have gotten it back on the plane. The ones I saw were really big. And, from what I have heard they are very difficult to play. I sure did enjoy listening to the Aborigine play. He made it look easy. :-)

886 posted on 04/09/2008 5:34:35 PM PDT by Mama_Bear (My heroes wear camouflage!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 867 | View Replies]

To: Kitty Mittens
I Love All the Pics you Post, Lori!

Thanks, KM. And I love the pretty graphics and photos that you post.

I tried to get another photo of my jay and her nest, but didn't have much luck today. It is quite far back in the Oleander bush and it's dark in there. I am trying to stay back from the nest so as not to frighten her, so photographs are difficult. I did get one of mama jay, but missed the shot of the daddy feeding the baby. So far, I've only seen one little mouth pop up when daddy came to the nest. Maybe more will hatch as the days pass.

887 posted on 04/09/2008 5:45:20 PM PDT by Mama_Bear (My heroes wear camouflage!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 855 | View Replies]

To: All; JustAmy; yorkie; La Enchiladita; Kitty Mittens; jaycee; MEG33; GodBlessUSA
I did get one photo of the mama jay this morning. It's not a lot different from the first one I posted. There is at least one baby in the nest, maybe more, but it doesn't show up in the photo. Mom must be hiding it from view.

While I was out in the yard trying to photograph the jay family, I spotted three hawks circling way up high. I zoomed in as much as I could, but they were so high in the sky that it didn't come out very clear. I am also still learning how to use this new camera, so it's a miracle it came out good at all.

Dinner time. I will TTYL!

888 posted on 04/09/2008 6:03:19 PM PDT by Mama_Bear (My heroes wear camouflage!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

**lavender trumpet vine **

?? Too cool! We have red and orange here on the east coast, but no lavender that I know of!

One of y’all’s pics the other day had lilacs and citrus growing side by side—I’m jealous! Too hot here for lilacs, and too cold for citrus. There is one lilac at the post office, but it only blooms for about 2 days and it downs’t smell much. I’ve tried them here, and they only live a year or two and then die. Lots of funguses and diseases get on them.

889 posted on 04/09/2008 6:32:43 PM PDT by gardengirl
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 882 | View Replies]

Really, it's loads of fun. My wife chickened out only because they wanted to write her weight on the back of her hand--though that was no cause for embarrassment. Ah, vanity.

890 posted on 04/09/2008 7:03:10 PM PDT by OESY
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 885 | View Replies]

Well, I should’a said, “Get yer kleenex” - but, then some people wouldn’t need one. Some people would need a bath towel! LOL!

891 posted on 04/09/2008 7:09:09 PM PDT by yorkie (God Bless our Heroes in Iraq and around the world)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 883 | View Replies]

Oh, mama_bear - please don’t fret about that! I forget to ping others, all the time. (We need a ping list - for the regulars, don’cha think?)

892 posted on 04/09/2008 7:11:08 PM PDT by yorkie (God Bless our Heroes in Iraq and around the world)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 883 | View Replies]

Thank you so much for this wonderful story.(blurry screen)

893 posted on 04/09/2008 7:39:43 PM PDT by MEG33 (God Bless Our Military)

To: yorkie; Mama_Bear
Yorkie, Thank you for Posting 'Now that's God.' I had Tears in my Eyes from Reading it; what a Lovely Story.

Lori, the Mama Jay is Cute!

894 posted on 04/09/2008 7:45:52 PM PDT by Kitty Mittens (To God Be All Excellent Praise!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 888 | View Replies]

...and then I saw a tiny little orange mouth just above the edge of the nest

This is soooooo exciting. Last we heard, you figured it was about time they hatched; now we know!!

P.S. They may hatch one per day like my hummers did...

895 posted on 04/09/2008 7:49:14 PM PDT by La Enchiladita ( "If you love our nation, stop illegal immigration," ~~ Melanie Bowers, age 13, Athens, Texas)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 884 | View Replies]

Thanks for the redtail photos; they are excellent, imo!!

896 posted on 04/09/2008 8:04:28 PM PDT by La Enchiladita ( "If you love our nation, stop illegal immigration," ~~ Melanie Bowers, age 13, Athens, Texas)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 888 | View Replies]

To: La Enchiladita; Kitty Mittens

Kitty Mittens and Dita
Trying to catch up..I slept all day then had to
get my income tax info to my son..then needed to call him.

897 posted on 04/09/2008 8:04:46 PM PDT by MEG33 (God Bless Our Military)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 861 | View Replies]

LOL! If they wrote MY weight on the back of my hand, I fear the excess ink would cause me to crash!

(Just kidding, OESY!) I don’t blame her!

898 posted on 04/09/2008 8:13:55 PM PDT by yorkie (God Bless our Heroes in Iraq and around the world)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 890 | View Replies]

Thanks, Yorkie, for sharing “Now That’s God!”

899 posted on 04/09/2008 8:18:31 PM PDT by La Enchiladita ( "If you love our nation, stop illegal immigration," ~~ Melanie Bowers, age 13, Athens, Texas)

This is awesome. I love your Jay family update,too

900 posted on 04/09/2008 8:19:54 PM PDT by MEG33 (God Bless Our Military)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 837 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-50 ... 801-850851-900901-950 ... 2,651-2,664 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson