Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: ktscarlett66
Good post back when I was money deprived wife and I bought a “roasting chicken” from the local supermarket not your little fryer but a big chicken. That thing fed us for a week at least. About the time we got to chicken stock noodle soup I was getting tired of it but I was not hungry. We of course did other similar things to stretch the food budget, the point is that many people in this country think that a cheap meal is a fast food joint and have no idea how to simply cook cheap for themselves.
82 posted on 05/29/2008 7:22:55 PM PDT by nomorelurker (keep flogging them till morale improves)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 81 | View Replies ]

To: nomorelurker

LOL at your ‘getting tired of it’. I still remember on payday that week asking hubby “I’m going grocery shopping tonight, is there anything you want me to pick up?” and his reply was “RED MEAT!!”

During the infamous Week Of The Turkey (although that was the first, it wasn’t the only week we’ve had to do that over the years) we ate well too. One of the things I made that week (desperate or just creative?) was turky spaghetti. I did have a jar of Ragu and I threw in a lot of bite sized pieces of turkey and added a bunch of parmesan cheese. It turned out to be one of my sons’ favorite meals and I still make it to this day, chicken or turkey. One nice thing about cooking with a whole chicken like that is you pretty much have several meals that week that are good and *fast*, after the initial roast on Sunday and the time spent stewing and picking. *That* is how you eat homecooked and well, year after year.

83 posted on 05/29/2008 7:32:13 PM PDT by ktscarlett66 (Face it girls....I'm older and I have more insurance....)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 82 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson