Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: boogerbear
No actually you DIED say otherwise. Your entire position is based on otherwise.

?

Here’s the core problem, you’ve got a problem with how BSG gets from point A (the audience known differences between Cylons and humans) to point G (not having an easy biological test).

Sort of. I'd rephrase this slightly: I've got a problem with BSG's stance on & presentation of Cylons in general. I see no real evidence that they are anything other than a certain type of human. More to the point, I don't even know whether BSG wants me to think they are biologically different from humans. (In fact, it's seemed likely for a while now that where they are going with the story is that Cylons will merge with humans at the end and form a new union and live together as...well, as humans, right?)

The problem with all that is you would think they would have to be much different from humans, in order to be thought of and treated and empowered so differently, and everyone on the show certainly acts like Cylons aren't humans, but (paradoxically) no one on the show acts like they are biologically different from humans. Your explanation for that here is that they just haven't found the differences because they are teensy tiny subtle things, i.e. they're exactly like humans in every way 'sept for they got a couple extra little doohickeys, e.g. pointless enzyme sacs that make glowy-spine for no reason.

I can go with your explanation but it seems magnificently dumb - it seems dumb that the robots would've made their humanoids like humans plus extra doohickeys, and in any event I'm not sure the 'enzyme sac' type things would be enough of a difference to call them inhuman in the first place. Or, I can reject your explanation and the problems remain. But to be honest, I really haven't the faintest idea what BSG's writers want me to think about it either way. It's just not clear and this is entirely due to the sloppy, haphazard and inconsistent way they've presented us with facts and properties of Cylons. The overall picture they paint is not clear or coherent and that's my basic problem. You're probably going to call that a 'mystery' and say I need to 'wait' till the end. I just don't think that's what you call it when facts are presented that don't mesh and contain no possible logical resolution.

Bottom line it for me: do you think Cylons are biologically different from humans or not? Do you think they are humans or not? If not, why not? If they are, why does no one notice it? And how has the show made those answers clear?

[...blah blah blah...] The real story is they’re just too damn busy staying alive. And if you have a problem with that, well TFB. Life sucks, get a helmet.

Good speech there. Shall I start a "slow clap"?

Again, if BSG makes sense to you and raises no logical questions for you, then good for you. Go with God. To me it's a mess and can't be taken seriously as science fiction. It's really a fantasy program - a pretty well-made one - and at least half the time it's just used as a vehicle for thinly-disguised 'topics of the week'...kinda like what I understood The West Wing t'have been like.

170 posted on 06/29/2008 9:29:19 PM PDT by Dr. Frank fan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 169 | View Replies ]

To: Dr. Frank fan

They DO act like they’re biologically different than humans. The autopsied a Cylon and probably intended to do more, they put Baltar in charge of the Cylon detector, they figured out the Cylon disease. Plenty of behavior among the humans that revolves around the assumption of difference. You can ignore if you want, but when you claim it doesn’t exist based on your ignoring it once again the problem comes from you.

171 posted on 06/30/2008 8:15:20 AM PDT by boogerbear
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 170 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson