Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: LibFreeOrDie

If that article is accurate, then William Buckley is to be condemned. And if the entire Buckley family are wealthy jack asses, then so be it. I suppose all I can claim, is William Buckley’s good inspiration to me, regardless of how he was personally.

He died of emphysema, and is quoted as saying he hoped government would ban tobacco. That is an absurd rejection of his entire life’s thinking. It is a rejection of personal responsibility unworthy of him.

It does not change the point of my post. If anything, it corroborates it. Great wealth is spiritually debilitating.

17 posted on 10/11/2008 3:44:55 PM PDT by Urbane_Guerilla
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies ]

To: Urbane_Guerilla
I can't believe Chris Buckley's spokesperson could be such an idiot. It is ridiculous to say that the kid can't miss his father because he never had one. It is natural for a young boy to want a relationship with his father, especially when he sees other young boys with their fathers. I have to say that both Buckley's come across as self centered jerks regarding this matter. The son sounds like a real scumbag. They both punish this kid for the actions of Chris Buckley.
36 posted on 10/11/2008 7:29:12 PM PDT by peeps36 ( Al Gore Is A Big Fat Lying Hypocrite. He Pollutes The Air By Opening His Big Mouth)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies ]

Thank you for your post, it was interesting. I have been a NR subscriber since I was in my early 20s (that’s a long time!) and it greatly inspired me. WFB was always interesting to listen to, an incredibly smart man, but he was a man, and sometimes he was wrong (occasionally he would say something and I would go...WHAT?) Of course that doesn’t negate the effect he had on the American Conservative Movement. I always took that to mean that I really was thinking for myself, if I could occasionally disagree with Buckley, clearly I was NOT a mind numbed robot. :)

44 posted on 10/13/2008 6:13:27 AM PDT by brytlea (Obama--Keep the change!)

I was shocked when I read that article of his in National Review. I believe it was one of his last articles before he died. If I remember right, he said that those that don’t protest tobacco aren’t much better than the German manufacturers of Zyklon B, which is a total leap in logic. He blamed his wife’s death on her sixty-plus year smoking habit, although she didn’t die of a smoking related illness. His grief appeared to have robbed him of his logic at the end of his life. Also, if he really wrote that in his will, than he has fallen even further in my book.

48 posted on 10/15/2008 2:51:31 PM PDT by conservativebuckeye

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson