Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: Squantos; Mad Dawg
If you still want a piston rig this is one I have seen for civilian buy and personally fired trying to get it to fail .....good gas piston version.

Piston big bump, the M16's extractor retaining pin broke on me in the field at dusk. It wouldn't extract. It wasn't a good night. I haven't liked gas impingement since. JMHO

17 posted on 10/29/2008 8:48:05 PM PDT by neverdem (I'm praying for a Divine Intervention.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies ]

To: neverdem

I too expected Murphy at every corner and carried a spare upper that was scoped and halo’d in 3 gun match style for long 800 plus yard shots if they need to be taken at all. Most of us carried an entire spare bolt assembly as well as a lower rebuild kit of pins, parts and springs, c clips etc . We had that liberty to do such as does civilians these days .

Were I to have to return to service and get my choice of service rifle. It would be a Hk 416 in 6.8SPC with a M203 attached. IMHO hand down current best available service rifle combination to have for EVERY troop.

Everything man made is fallible .......:o)

19 posted on 10/29/2008 9:03:12 PM PDT by Squantos (Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies ]

To: neverdem

Isn’t that complaint akin to “the brakes are shot, so I made your horn louder”? How does a broken extractor demean gas impingement?

27 posted on 10/30/2008 7:32:00 AM PDT by ctdonath2 (I AM JOE THE PLUMBER!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson