Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Caylee's Skeletal Remains Don't Offer Many Clues to Her Homicide (duct tape might!)
FoxNews.com ^ | December 20, 2008

Posted on 12/20/2008 6:53:39 AM PST by ETL

The skull and bones found last week in a wooded lot outside Orlando, Fla., were identified as Caylee Anthony's on Friday, and Orange County officials declared the little girl was the victim of a homicide.

How the 2-year-old girl was killed remains a mystery. Orange County medical examiner Dr. Jan Garavaglia reported that the skeletal remains were Caylee's, but the only clue to her death was that her bones didn't suffer trauma.

"They are not intact. They are all disarticulated. They are completely skeletonized," Dr. Garavaglia said. She said some of the bones were "tiny."

Caylee was two months shy of her third birthday when she vanished in June.

Garavaglia said Caylee's remains, which were found not far from the home where she lived with her mother and maternal grandparents, were identified through nuclear DNA analysis.

The news caps a five-month search for the girl, who was last seen in mid-June but wasn't reported missing by her mother until a month later. The mother, 22-year-old Casey Anthony, is behind bars without bond and charged with her daughter's murder.

(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com ...

TOPICS: Local News
KEYWORDS: caseyanthony; cayleeanthony
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-81 next last

If the mother's fingerprints and/or other such evidence are found on the duct tape, she's done.

From FoxNews.com, December 12, 2008:

If the duct tape-bound remains are proven to be those of Caylee — who has been missing since June — the method used to dispose of the body will become a significant factor in the first-degree murder trial of the girl's mother, Casey Anthony, attorney Scott H. Cupp said.

"That obviously shows a level of deliberation," Cupp said. "One would think something like that would be done prior to the actual event. But you could make a strong argument as a prosecutor that the child's mouth was bound to keep her from making noises."

Cupp, a former prosecutor for the Palm Beach County (Fla.) District Attorney's Office, said photographs of the duct-taped body likely will elicit strong reactions from the jury.

"You could go to town with that, a child with her mouth taped shut," he said. "That kind of stuff you can bring people to tears with."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,465784,00.html

Also from FoxNews.com, Dec 12, 2008 (different article):

Pathologists should be able to identify the body quickly from dental records, Baden said, and the plastic and duct tape could provide additional vital clues, including fingerprints. They could also provide clues to how the child died, and to who dumped the body.

"The beauty of duct tape — no matter rain, snow, sleet — that fingerprint will stay there," Baden said, adding that if someone used their teeth to rip it, it could yield DNA evidence too.

"Right now, they would be looking at all the contents of the plastic bag and they would be looking at the plastic bag itself," Baden said. "The fingerprints on the outside often get dissolved away by weather, but the inside of the plastic bag, the fingerprints would be there."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,465647,00.html

(FNC/John Azzilano)
June 20, 2008: Casey Anthony, in blue, seen partying
at club Fusion in Orlando during the time she said her
2-year-old daughter, Caylee, was missing

1 posted on 12/20/2008 6:53:39 AM PST by ETL
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: ETL

Putana Diablo should rot in hell.

2 posted on 12/20/2008 6:59:53 AM PST by angcat ("When the strong man, fully armed, guards his own dwelling, his goods are safe".)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Now that the rope is around Casey's neck and being pulled tighter, I believe she will eventually come forward and say she killed her child on accident.

She got scared, had someone hide the body thinking it would never be found.

All in hopes that a judge and jury may give her leniency.

Just my take.

3 posted on 12/20/2008 7:02:21 AM PST by unixfox (The 13th Amendment Abolished Slavery, The 16th Amendment Reinstated It !)

To: unixfox
...I believe she will eventually come forward and say she killed her child on accident...

by accident.

4 posted on 12/20/2008 7:05:22 AM PST by FReepaholic (Diversity = .45 .357 .223 .38 ...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

I believe she will eventually come forward and say she killed her child on accident.

She accidentally wrapped her daughter in duct tape?

5 posted on 12/20/2008 7:06:27 AM PST by ETL (Smoking gun evidence on ALL the ObamaRat-commie connections at my newly revised FR Home/About page)

The story has an error--the mother never reported her daughter missing. It was the grandmother who finally told the authorities.

We still don't know who Caylee's father is (Casey claims he was killed in an accident but won't reveal the name--given her track record for honesty it's quite possible he is still alive), and the paternal grandparents may be alive and not even realize that Caylee was their granddaughter.

6 posted on 12/20/2008 7:07:59 AM PST by Verginius Rufus

Sounds like she might have taped the kid’s mouth shut and then she suffocated or chocked on vomit and died. IMHO.

And then hid her back there a brief period in the trunk of the car.

She was a cute little girl. Tragic.

7 posted on 12/20/2008 7:08:07 AM PST by F15Eagle (1 John 5:4-5, 4:15, John 11:25, 14:6, 1 Tim 2:5, John 3:17-18, John 20:31, 1 John 5:13, John 6:69)

And none of the evidence will be admissible in court because the cops botched the case big time.

The body was discovered, and reported to the cops, in mid August. What, and by whom, was done to the crime scene in 4 months?

8 posted on 12/20/2008 7:08:23 AM PST by Beagle8U (FreeRepublic -- One stop shopping ....... Its the Conservative Super WalMart for news .)

I suppose you could be right. Perhaps she, or someone else?, put the duct tape on to try to better conceal the body, which was placed/dumped about 10 feet or so from a fairly busy road.

9 posted on 12/20/2008 7:12:22 AM PST by ETL (Smoking gun evidence on ALL the ObamaRat-commie connections at my newly revised FR Home/About page)

To: Beagle8U
And none of the evidence will be admissible in court because the cops botched the case big time.

I don't know if the cops botched it big time, certainly it wasn't the cleanest case on record.

Suppose they find inside the plastic bag and duct tape Moms fingerprints. Why would a judge toss that evidence?

Clearly if the bag was unopened the evidence would have not been tainted

10 posted on 12/20/2008 7:16:18 AM PST by Popman (Dont worry Barney Frank has your ass-ets covered!!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: All

I wonder if traces of substances such as chloroform would be detectable in the bone marrow or hair samples?

11 posted on 12/20/2008 7:21:06 AM PST by ETL (Smoking gun evidence on ALL the ObamaRat-commie connections at my newly revised FR Home/About page)

To: F15Eagle

This is so sad. How could anyone kill a beautiful little girl. Capital punishment for anyone that kills a child.

12 posted on 12/20/2008 7:22:44 AM PST by Big Horn (Rebuild the GOP to a conservative party)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

How ironic that Dr. “G” was the forensic pathologist involved. I watch her show all the time. Hopefully all is preserved and they will nail whoever is guilty to the wall.
13 posted on 12/20/2008 7:26:16 AM PST by Battle Axe (Repent for the coming of the Lord is nigh!)

The perp’s lawyer is sticking with the “some other dude did it” defense (and yesterday implied she was in jail when the body was dumped). The grandparent’s new lawyer (Conway) was on Dateline last night and is echoing the same mantra (his spin is she would have never dumped the body so close to the house). There were even talking heads pointing their long pointy fingers last night at the meter reader who found the body last week.

This case broke while we were in Florida on vacation and I’ve followed it ever since; the perp is not going to talk and has lied so much it’s hard to keep track of her many stories. Her parents will continue to believe she had nothing to do with it (Zannie the nanny, who doesn’t exist, did it). Nancy Grace reported on Thursday, after being told a body was found, the perp needed to be sedated, then a short time later regrouped and ordered some pork rinds, candy and playing cards from the commissary. Yesterday, after the body was identified, her family’s pastor came to see her but she refused the visit and instead wanted to see her lawyers.

If anybody deserved the death penalty it’s her, but I’d be happy to see her spend the rest of her life in prison and never get out. She killed that baby b/c she was jealous of the attention her parents gave the little girl and also b/c she wasn’t into being a mommy (wanted to party instead). All I want for Christmas is the perp’s fingerprints to be on that duct tape!

14 posted on 12/20/2008 7:29:53 AM PST by NicNacPattyWac

To: Popman
Clearly if the bag was unopened the evidence would have not been tainted.

Bones were apparently found scattered around the area, certainly, at least in part, by scavenging animals. I don't know if the skull was placed alone in a separate bag. If it was it would open a whole new chapter in this story.

15 posted on 12/20/2008 7:33:08 AM PST by ETL (Smoking gun evidence on ALL the ObamaRat-commie connections at my newly revised FR Home/About page)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

The poor wee girl! It takes a special sort of monster to do that sort of thing to a three-yr-old kid!

I hope they put whoever did this onto the electric chair and set it for slow-cook.

> “They are not intact. They are all disarticulated. They are completely skeletonized,” Dr. Garavaglia said.

Within the space of just on six months?

16 posted on 12/20/2008 7:33:39 AM PST by DieHard the Hunter (Is mise an ceann-cinnidh. Cha ghéill mi do dhuine. Fàg am bealach.)

This case is so very sad, but I am glad she was found and can now be buried. I just thank God it was her, and not another little child’s bones.

17 posted on 12/20/2008 7:34:14 AM PST by Lynne

To: Popman

The bag was open and bones were falling out.

The judge will throw it out because it was reported 3x, four months ago, and the cops never secured the crime scene.

18 posted on 12/20/2008 7:35:31 AM PST by Beagle8U (FreeRepublic -- One stop shopping ....... Its the Conservative Super WalMart for news .)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

The judge will throw it out because it was reported 3x, four months ago, and the cops never secured the crime scene.

I fear you may be correct.

19 posted on 12/20/2008 7:37:34 AM PST by CE2949BB (Fight.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

Orange County medical examiner Dr. Jan Garavaglia reported that the skeletal remains were Caylee's, but the only clue to her death was that her bones didn't suffer trauma.

Dr. G: Medical Examiner!!!!

20 posted on 12/20/2008 7:39:58 AM PST by Virginia Ridgerunner (Sarah Palin is a smart missile aimed at the heart of the left!)

To: NicNacPattyWac
There were even talking heads pointing their long pointy fingers last night at the meter reader who found the body last week.

Yes, it's disgusting. I heard one jerk (maybe Gerardo?) remark that the guy should have opened the bag to see what was in it. Could you imagine anyone so dumb as to do such a thing. They would probably have charged HIM with the crime! -made him into another Richard Jewel. He called the police 3 days in a row before they finally made a half-*ss effort which came up empty.

21 posted on 12/20/2008 7:42:23 AM PST by ETL (Smoking gun evidence on ALL the ObamaRat-commie connections at my newly revised FR Home/About page)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: F15Eagle
Sounds like she might have taped the kid’s mouth shut and then she suffocated or chocked on vomit and died. IMHO.

My mom thinks Casey was drugging the child and leaving her in the car while she partied (so she wouldn't have to pay a baby sitter) and the child died. If she was drugged AND duct taped, that would certainly be a possibility.

22 posted on 12/20/2008 7:44:31 AM PST by A_perfect_lady (History repeats itself because human nature is static.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: DieHard the Hunter
"They are not intact. They are all disarticulated. They are completely skeletonized,” Dr. Garavaglia said."

Within the space of just six months?

Presumably the work of scavenging animals, bacteria and insects. Does sound strange though.

23 posted on 12/20/2008 7:46:28 AM PST by ETL (Smoking gun evidence on ALL the ObamaRat-commie connections at my newly revised FR Home/About page)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

Animals tore at the bag and scattered the bones.

Happens EVERY time.

Throw it out?

The remains are hers, DNA testing proved it.

The tape around her skull will hold key evidence, most likely. If still adhered and if containing key fingerprints, fibers tied back to Casey and the home, etc, it will come in.

There is MUCH more about this case that we haven’t been told than we have been told. And there’s this that somebody figured out from a crime scene photo that was released. There appears to have been a little child’s book there in company of the remains, and the panel and Nancy Grace said it appeared to be like the - and possibly the exact same - book Caylee was looking at on the videos we’ve seen of her.

The judge you claim will “throw it out” is the same judge that already quickly wrote a search warrant for the Sheriff’s Dept. to do another exhaustive search of the home after the remains were found and way before DNA said they were Caylee. Because items found with the remains linked back to the Anthony home.

You mean THAT judge is going to “throw it out”???

Nope.

24 posted on 12/20/2008 7:49:58 AM PST by txrangerette (Just say "no" to the Obama Cult.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

To: A_perfect_lady
My mom thinks Casey was drugging the child and leaving her in the car while she partied (so she wouldn't have to pay a baby sitter) and the child died. If she was drugged AND duct taped, that would certainly be a possibility.

Wow, if this true, the death penalty is too good for her.

Lock her in room stuffed in a garbage bag with duct tape over her mouth, hands tied behind her back and throw away the key. Come back in six weeks and toss the bag into the dump

25 posted on 12/20/2008 7:51:16 AM PST by Popman (Dont worry Barney Frank has your ass-ets covered!!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 22 | View Replies]

To: txrangerette
The mom's lawyer will say that the body was reported to the cops 3x, and they waited until the evidence that would prove her innocent was destroyed.

This case will be OJ#2 and the murdering bitch will walk!

26 posted on 12/20/2008 7:58:42 AM PST by Beagle8U (FreeRepublic -- One stop shopping ....... Its the Conservative Super WalMart for news .)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

“My mom thinks Casey was drugging the child and leaving her in the car while she partied (so she wouldn’t have to pay a baby sitter) and the child died. If she was drugged AND duct taped, that would certainly be a possibility.”

That may very well be the case. It would still be dreadful. It is interesting how we feel better when we believe it wasn’t a certain kind of outright selfishness such as her deciding to kill her daughter but instead she uses chloroform, tapes her mouth shut and leaves her in the trunk of her car where she suffocates or sometime and somehow that is better...

27 posted on 12/20/2008 8:00:31 AM PST by Maelstorm (This country was not founded with the battle cry "Give me liberty or give me a government check!")

I hope the prosecution’s got a taphonomist on speed dial. It looks like they could use one.

28 posted on 12/20/2008 8:01:58 AM PST by mewzilla (In politics the middle way is none at all. John Adams)

He called the police 3 days in a row before they finally made a half-*ss effort which came up empty.

Quite frankly, this raised some flags with me, too.

The utility worker was insistent on the cops searching this one particular area. He phoned them three days in a row in October.

What caused him to so doggedly point attention to this spot. What did he know or how did he know?

29 posted on 12/20/2008 8:03:22 AM PST by 2111USMC
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

To: mewzilla
I hope the prosecution’s got a taphonomist on speed dial.

Are you sure you meant 'Taphonomist'?

Taphonomy:

1. The study of the conditions and processes by which organisms become fossilized.
2. The conditions and processes of fossilization.

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/taphonomy

30 posted on 12/20/2008 8:07:26 AM PST by ETL (Smoking gun evidence on ALL the ObamaRat-commie connections at my newly revised FR Home/About page)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

There's a branch that deal with stuff like this, forensic taphonomy :)

A well-quallified expert could be very helpful :)

31 posted on 12/20/2008 8:08:56 AM PST by mewzilla (In politics the middle way is none at all. John Adams)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 30 | View Replies]

To: 2111USMC
He phoned them three days in a row in October.

It was August.

"Authorities have ruled the cause of Caylee's death a homicide by underdetermined means. The Orange County Sheriff's Department, meanwhile, has begun an internal investigation to determine why police failed to find the remains after receiving Kronk's tips in August."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,470485,00.html

32 posted on 12/20/2008 8:11:29 AM PST by ETL (Smoking gun evidence on ALL the ObamaRat-commie connections at my newly revised FR Home/About page)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

What is Taphonomy?

:)

33 posted on 12/20/2008 8:12:20 AM PST by mewzilla (In politics the middle way is none at all. John Adams)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 30 | View Replies]

A what?

34 posted on 12/20/2008 8:12:35 AM PST by patton (Vista malware delende est - Norton Antivirus)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

Oh.

35 posted on 12/20/2008 8:13:57 AM PST by patton (Vista malware delende est - Norton Antivirus)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 33 | View Replies]

To: patton

If the prosecution consults one, however, I bet the defense will, too. Dueling taphonomists, film at 11.

36 posted on 12/20/2008 8:16:47 AM PST by mewzilla (In politics the middle way is none at all. John Adams)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 35 | View Replies]

You know, I am glad I am not on this jury. I really don’t WANT to see the pictures.

37 posted on 12/20/2008 8:18:31 AM PST by patton (Vista malware delende est - Norton Antivirus)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 36 | View Replies]

What caused him to so doggedly point attention to this spot. What did he know or how did he know?

What IS strange about his account is that he says he found the bag recently when he went in the woods (about 10-20 feet from the road) to take a pee. Did he not recall that it was the same spot he reported to the police back in August?

38 posted on 12/20/2008 8:19:22 AM PST by ETL (Smoking gun evidence on ALL the ObamaRat-commie connections at my newly revised FR Home/About page)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

"Taphonomy is the study of the processes of death, decay, and preservation. This branch of the sciences is utilized in a number of fields, from paleobiology to forensics, and it is a rich and diverse field of study."

Thanks! Your source was a lot better than mine.

39 posted on 12/20/2008 8:20:56 AM PST by ETL (Smoking gun evidence on ALL the ObamaRat-commie connections at my newly revised FR Home/About page)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 33 | View Replies]

Yes, that is weird.

From the link you provided earlier:

He said he also had notified authorities in August that he had "spotted something suspicious — a bag" in the same area -- but he declined to elaborate further, saying only that he continues to cooperate with the investigation.

So the guy notices that the flood waters have receded and thinks "gee, think I'll go down and take a whiz by that plastic bag I saw four months ago"?

Very strange.

40 posted on 12/20/2008 8:30:59 AM PST by 2111USMC
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 38 | View Replies]

From what I’ve read, Geraldo is a friend of the perp’s lawyer (Baez). It’s easy for the talking heads to quarter back in hindsight, but at the time LE was trying to locate the body it was like looking for a needle in a haystack considering the vast amount of woods and water in the Orlando area; and the perp gave them nothing to go on.

Although LE dropped the ball regarding the meter reader’s calls in August, they also had rec’d around 6000 other tips that needed to be checked. At the same time the grandparents were constantly screaming to every media outlet how LE should be looking for a “live Caylee”.

41 posted on 12/20/2008 8:41:29 AM PST by NicNacPattyWac
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

So the guy notices that the flood waters have receded and thinks “gee, think I’ll go down and take a whiz by that plastic bag I saw four months ago”?

Very strange.

GOD spoke to me on behalf of a child who was being molested.
Maybe God spoke to this man and he felt like something was wrong. In my past when God spoke to me I was consumed
and felt I must help this helpless child.

42 posted on 12/20/2008 8:43:47 AM PST by freedommom
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 40 | View Replies]

To: freedommom
You lumped your response with the comments of the person you were replying to. It's not clear who said what. Italicization is typically used to quote other posters.

In the event you're not familiar with HTML, here's a link to a good website which explains the basics:

http://www.davesite.com/webstation/html/tag_ref.shtml

:)

43 posted on 12/20/2008 8:54:31 AM PST by ETL (Smoking gun evidence on ALL the ObamaRat-commie connections at my newly revised FR Home/About page)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 42 | View Replies]

To: freedommom

Quite possible.

The Higher Power is at work all the time.

44 posted on 12/20/2008 9:01:14 AM PST by 2111USMC
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 42 | View Replies]

here’s my question for you since it’s sounds like you know a lot about this case...

what the hell is going on with the parents, cindy and i forget his name? i was watching NG and she said that they want immunity now...why? did they know something that they didn’t tell? did they help cover up for Casey?

thanks. :)

45 posted on 12/20/2008 9:08:04 AM PST by MountainWoman
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: Maelstorm
tapes her mouth shut and leaves her in the trunk of her car where she suffocates or sometime and somehow that is better...

A thought just occurred to me, June in Orlando, she would have suffocated very quickly from heat in the trunk of a vehicle. The mom would know that. My gut is she was placed in the trunk after death.

46 posted on 12/20/2008 9:14:33 AM PST by LouisianaJoanof Arc (6 hours of mourning is enough. Now, stand up and fight and take back this country.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 27 | View Replies]

which was placed/dumped about 10 feet or so from a fairly busy road.

Am voting for placed (in the early fall) The area was search with dogs, on foot etc. in mid summer. Why wasn't it found? It wasn't there.

47 posted on 12/20/2008 9:27:03 AM PST by hoosiermama (Berg is a liberal democrat. Keyes is a conservative. Obama is bringing us together already!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 46 | View Replies]

“My mom thinks Casey was drugging the child and leaving her in the car while she partied (so she wouldn’t have to pay a baby sitter) and the child died. If she was drugged AND duct taped, that would certainly be a possibility.”

That makes perfect sense...and the duct tape to keep her quiet until she was knocked out...if this is true just think what a horrible selfish b*tch Casey was not to even care about the brain damage she would be giving her child. She did not care about that little girl thats for sure.
Cindy

48 posted on 12/20/2008 9:46:22 AM PST by wndycndy (When the shock wears off I will really be scared....)

From what I’ve read, Geraldo is a friend of the perp’s lawyer (Baez).

I heard Geraldo one day on Fox News a year or so ago say that he was a "fellow traveler" of Jane Fonda's in the Vietnam "anti-war" (pro-communist) movement. That the two of them used to visit each other at their homes during that period. The dopey Fox News panelists on with him didn't express any problems whatsoever with the comment, nor ask him a single question about it.

49 posted on 12/20/2008 9:46:33 AM PST by ETL (Smoking gun evidence on ALL the ObamaRat-commie connections at my newly revised FR Home/About page)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 41 | View Replies]

To: hoosiermama
"which was placed/dumped about 10 feet or so from a fairly busy road."

It was me who said the above in post 9. It wasn't in the article I posted.

50 posted on 12/20/2008 9:50:44 AM PST by ETL (Smoking gun evidence on ALL the ObamaRat-commie connections at my newly revised FR Home/About page)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 47 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-81 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson