Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Dog Breed Matters If You Want To Communicate
Scientific Blogging ^ | July 24th 2009 | News Staff

Posted on 07/24/2009 8:29:17 AM PDT by decimon

Researchers who make generalizations about the effects of domestication and dog-wolf differences in the utilization of human visual signals, take note; a new study says dog breeds selected to work in visual contact with humans, such as sheep dogs and gun dogs, are better able to comprehend a pointing gesture than those breeds that usually work without direct supervision.

In a series of tests, Márta Gácsi from Eötvös University, Hungary worked with a team of researchers to examine the performance of different breeds of dogs in making sense of the human pointing gesture.

(Excerpt) Read more at scientificblogging.com ...

TOPICS: Pets/Animals; Science
KEYWORDS: doggieping
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-71 next last
Does your pointer know your point?
1 posted on 07/24/2009 8:29:18 AM PDT by decimon
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: decimon

Kind of topic but here it goes. We are getting a beagle puppy on Wednesday. For all the beagle owners out there, what are the top 5 things I need to know, in your view? Thanks

2 posted on 07/24/2009 8:31:28 AM PDT by Pete
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

My Mastiff, Bella, ALWAYS looked to where I was pointing. Other dogs just looked at my hand.

3 posted on 07/24/2009 8:31:55 AM PDT by Deb (Beat him, strip him and bring him to my tent!)

To: Pete

1. The bark all the f*&$ing time.
2. The bark all the f*&$ing time.
3. The bark all the f*&$ing time.
4. The bark all the f*&$ing time.
5. The bark all the f*&$ing time.

Love the dogs.
Smart.
Friendly.
Good health.

But they never shut the f$%# up!

4 posted on 07/24/2009 8:33:14 AM PDT by SJSAMPLE
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Deb

My dog is part lab, part pointer, and all stupid. When I point he just licks my finger. He is like Odie from Garfield. Very lovable, but dumb as rocks.

5 posted on 07/24/2009 8:36:41 AM PDT by CollegeRepublican
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: CollegeRepublican

He sounds wonderful.

6 posted on 07/24/2009 8:37:53 AM PDT by Deb (Beat him, strip him and bring him to my tent!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Do you know why God made beagles sooooo cute?

So you won’t F*cking Kill Them.

(Told to me by a life-long beagle owner...:)

7 posted on 07/24/2009 8:40:01 AM PDT by rlmorel ("The Road to Serfdom" by F.A.Hayek - Read it...today.)

The upshot: behavior and cognitive abilities have a strong genetic component. And one must presume that the finding carries over to humans as well.

This is neither "good," nor "bad," of course; but it does have some rather uncomfortable implications.

8 posted on 07/24/2009 8:41:28 AM PDT by r9etb

We are getting two German shep. puppies on Sunday; sisters — 11 weeks old, 21 lbs. They were scheduled to be euthanized. The person who had them didn’t want them and some kind person saved them.

9 posted on 07/24/2009 8:42:00 AM PDT by SamiGirl

For all the beagle owners out there, what are the top 5 things I need to know, in your view? Thanks

Not a beagle guy here, but I do know from those who have them that beagles are smart, energetic, and get bored easily. Thus:

1. Exercise, and lots of it.
2. Keep him busy with training and tricks.

All else is secondary.

10 posted on 07/24/2009 8:43:50 AM PDT by r9etb

Beagles are working dogs, and need to have a “job” even when kept as a pet. They do make excellent pets. But, they tend to bay (bark) a lot, so start work early on teaching them when it’s ok to bark and when it isn’t. Try to find a “bark park” or a remote place in the country where you can let him or her off-leash, to run and to track scents.

I’ve recently adopted a Walker Hound, which is much like a Beagle in habit and temperament. She’s a sweet girl, very loving and affectionate, but wants to climb and needs to “work” the back yard, tracking scents, back and forth, back and forth. She’s as compelled to do that as my Lab was compelled to retrieve or swim. Her breed was created to do these things, going back centuries to English Foxhounds in Virginia.

So, study the purpose for which Beagles were bred, and you’ll find what you need to know to make him or her happy, and for him or her to make you happy.

Good luck.

11 posted on 07/24/2009 8:44:12 AM PDT by RegulatorCountry

To: CollegeRepublican

My dog is a labradinger(lab + springer). Mine is not stupid. Every spring she goes to the same spot the stupid bunny built a nest, but alas, stupid bunny is no more and no more baby bunnies to hang from her mouth. She has set my kitchen on fire, child proof stove knobs are not determined dog proof.

But most of all, she earns her keep: big dog, big bark, big snarl, scares the willies out of door to door pests.

She is my Canine Perimeter Alert System (CPAS).

Oh and she likes to herd fish.

12 posted on 07/24/2009 8:45:48 AM PDT by Lucretia Borgia (I will be happy to show Obama the same respect the Democrats gave Reagan, Bush, and Palin.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

We are getting a beagle puppy on Wednesday.

Full moons. On full moons...well, you'll see.

13 posted on 07/24/2009 8:47:25 AM PDT by decimon

Congratulations! Beagles are wonderful dogs! I have 2 at the moment and they're great little rabbit hunters. They're versatile too. They're trainable to do just about anything.

My old Cocker/Beagle passed away last Sept. and he was the best flusher I've ever seen. He would wait until one of my setters was on point and then he would flush the bird for us. He would actually stay back with us, see the other dog go on point, then go with us to the point and flush the bird. He wouldn't get in the way of the other dogs pointing, backing or retrieving. God I miss him!

14 posted on 07/24/2009 8:53:35 AM PDT by graywaiter (Sure you can trust the government.......just ask any Cherokee)

That they are the most adorable, lovinglittle doggies ever! They go nuts over
bunnies and can be hard to calm down. If they track something such as a bunny
back to its hiding place, the beagle will howl until you get it or a neighbor calls.
they sleep alot. they chew everything for at least a year.
they tee-tee in the house if they can get away with it. They will
eat like goats and then throw up. Enjoy! we have.

15 posted on 07/24/2009 8:54:01 AM PDT by gussiefinknottle (woof!woof!woof!)

To: SJSAMPLE
LOL! Breeders describe them as, ahem..."vocal." Hey! Just trying to communicate!
dogtalk
16 posted on 07/24/2009 8:54:25 AM PDT by PowderMonkey (Will Work for Ammo)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: SamiGirl
Awesome...greatest dogs in the world!! Check out the pics on my home page, and feel free to FReemail me if you're new to sheps and would like some advise.

And bless you for taking them in!!

17 posted on 07/24/2009 8:56:59 AM PDT by Joe 6-pack (Que me amat, amet et canem meum)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

1) stubborn
2) they eat everything
3) must be loved all the time
4) stubborn
5) stubborn

Mine live until 15 or so, had to put her down about 2 years ago.

Did I mention that they are stubborn?

18 posted on 07/24/2009 8:57:23 AM PDT by dmz

Be considerate of your neighbors. If the dog starts barking bring him inside or get an anti bark collar.

19 posted on 07/24/2009 9:00:42 AM PDT by DogBarkTree (Support The American Tea Party)

For all the beagle owners out there, what are the top 5 things I need to know, in your view? Thanks

Former beagle owner just remember 1 thing every speck of brain a beagle has is in his nose. If he gets a whiff of a bunny or deer you can watch his little butt run for days. Mine took off for 6 weeks after seeing a buuny, come strolling up the driveway one day covered in mud and burrs. He just wanted a place to eat & sleep for a few days and was off running again.
20 posted on 07/24/2009 9:01:20 AM PDT by boxerblues

To: r9etb
Yes, but dogs were selectively bred for different traits, intelligence not always being one of them.

Humans are all very similar genetically, nor is there reason to assume that any gene that had an unambiguous positive effect upon intelligence wouldn't have rapidly reached near 100% penetrance in the human population.

21 posted on 07/24/2009 9:02:30 AM PDT by allmendream (Income is EARNED not distributed, so how could it be redistributed?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

My golden, when out on the trails hiking, would run like hell up to the next fork in the trail, and wait. I would simply point the direction I wanted him to go, and off he went.

I’d call him a golden retriever, but more accurately he would be called a golden retrie.

You know, swim like crazy to get the stick, and bring it back just far enough out of reach in the water that I couldn’t get it. God I loved that dog. Only made to 5 before cancer got him.

22 posted on 07/24/2009 9:03:40 AM PDT by dmz

Have a BullMastiff, also quite bright and VERY eager to please (the best I have EVER seen in a dog).

The Chinese say “When the finger points at the moon, the fool looks at the finger”.

Looks like your Bella is no fool! ;)

23 posted on 07/24/2009 9:04:17 AM PDT by allmendream (Income is EARNED not distributed, so how could it be redistributed?)

Jack recommends the squeaky bass toy from BassPro as a good chew toy. Also a 99 cent 12" kids plastic ball from WalMart or Target is very entertaining.
24 posted on 07/24/2009 9:04:18 AM PDT by pikachu (Be alert! We need more lerts!)

I speak “dog” fluently and have found that, no matter the breed, female K-9s actually “listen” and “obey” when spoken to...of course, you’ll get exactly the opposite effect in humankind and with cats—no matter the sex!

25 posted on 07/24/2009 9:05:10 AM PDT by meandog (Doh!)

My Chocolate Lab can retrieve, sit, stay and return with hand signals. My black Lab thinks he’s above all that. If he had opposable thumbs he’d be more capable than most kindergartners.

26 posted on 07/24/2009 9:07:30 AM PDT by CholeraJoe (This is the worst economic crisis since Brittney Spears shaved both ends!)

I have one of those dry-mouth American Mastiffs that Flying W Farms developed, smartest dog I ever owned. Click on my screen name to see a photo of him 2-3 years ago. He’s much larger now, still slim though, for a mastiff. 225 pounds of slim.

He took to hand gestures right away, seldom any need to speak to him, although he does try to “talk” when he wants something. He’ll toss his head toward what he wants—leash walk, treat, supper, outside in the back yard, whatever. I follow, he indicates. We trained each other.

One person dog, though. Won’t eat when I’m not there, or even drink water. After I got out of the hospital once, I had to feed him with a spoon to get him started up again.

27 posted on 07/24/2009 9:08:23 AM PDT by Judith Anne (Drill here! Drill NOW! Defund the EPA!)

> We are getting two German shep. puppies on Sunday; sisters — 11 weeks old, 21 lbs. They were scheduled to be euthanized. The person who had them didn’t want them and some kind person saved them.

If I may offer some unsolicited advice:

Begin training immediately. Always treat them with kindness, never shout at them or show anger. Never hit them ever. Have both dogs spayed unless you are a proper breeder: they will be much easier to handle — when they are in heat GSD females can be a real pain, and so can the male dogs from two miles around, swarming all over your place. Spay them and you will all be happier!

To begin with, reward with food and lavish hand-praise with each thing that they do right. Over time, make the hand praise and food praise random, but always the verbal praise when they do right. Keep your mood and voice always upbeat, and always talk to your dogs like you would a 5-7 year old child (ie not babytalk). Treat them like the intelligent dogs they are: over time they will understand the English language as it is spoken — not just your commands.

Feed only with Eukanuba and lots of clean cold water. Nothing but the very best dog food.

If you follow this advice your two German Shepherd dogs will delight you all of their lives, and they will reward you with more love than any other dog you may have owned. You could not ask for a more loyal or intelligent breed.

Congratulations on your choice, and thankyou for saving these two German Shepherd pups!

*DieHard*

28 posted on 07/24/2009 9:08:34 AM PDT by DieHard the Hunter (Is mise an ceann-cinnidh. Cha ghéill mi do dhuine. Fàg am bealach.)

To: allmendream

What an amazing quote. I love that!

29 posted on 07/24/2009 9:09:20 AM PDT by Deb (Beat him, strip him and bring him to my tent!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

The Chinese have some good ones.

They also say “The nail that stands out gets pounded down”.

30 posted on 07/24/2009 9:10:30 AM PDT by allmendream (Income is EARNED not distributed, so how could it be redistributed?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

To: dmz

Oh, no! It’s incredible how powerful losing a dog is. You just never get over it.

31 posted on 07/24/2009 9:11:41 AM PDT by Deb (Beat him, strip him and bring him to my tent!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 22 | View Replies]

To: Joe 6-pack

I LOVE your pups!!! Thanks so much for your offer to contact you via FReemail.

32 posted on 07/24/2009 9:12:53 AM PDT by SamiGirl
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: RegulatorCountry

I love everything about beagles and hounds except the cacophonous noise they bellow when they get wind of a quarry. It is a great song in the woods but dang painful on the ear pans around the house!

33 posted on 07/24/2009 9:13:05 AM PDT by meandog (Doh!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

1. The bark all the f*&$ing time.

2. The bark all the f*&$ing time.

3. The bark all the f*&$ing time.

4. The bark all the f*&$ing time.

5. The bark all the f*&$ing time.

I'm still laughing at your response. My first thought when I read her comment was "they howl".

Great dogs though.

34 posted on 07/24/2009 9:16:41 AM PDT by ozarkgirl

To: Pete; SJSAMPLE
i have a 75% beagle, 25% bassett. he's almost 6 years old. he's fixed. he, my girl, and i live in a manhattan apartment...with neighbors very close obviously.

he does not bark all that much. when we leave, he cries. kinda loud but we have never had complaints. when we get home, he freaks out and cries some more.

he is VERY good with other dogs, UNLESS they are male dogs who have not been fixed. if he sees a male dog with testicles intact, my dog goes NUTS!

very good with kids. he loves to eat. i mean loves it! he's fat. he's very smart. he tells us when he wants to go for a walk because he needs to 'go'. he tells us when he wants water by moving his water dish with his nose.

when we go for a walk, we go very slow because he needs to smell EVERYTHING ON THE PLANET for a long time!!! it's annoying.

when we go to the dog park, he jumps up on the bench, sits next to us, and watches the other dogs run around.

he sleeps forever. lights out. i love him, but if he's unhappy about anything you will know about it. i wish there was a place i could take him to hunt some rabbits with other beagles.

35 posted on 07/24/2009 9:17:09 AM PDT by thefactor (yes, as a matter of fact, i DID only read the excerpt)

21 lbs at 11 weeks? Those are big already! We just got an English Sheep Dog pup. She hit 15 lbs at 10 weeks and is gaining about 1 - 1 1/2 lbs per week. She is a handful for the wife, but I haven't had any problems.

Good for you to get rescued puppies. Wife took our pup for a obedience training lesson so she can teach her to behave. The lady teaching the class had two puppies that were also scheduled to be euthanized within 24 hours.

36 posted on 07/24/2009 9:17:12 AM PDT by Arrowhead1952 (Jimmy Carter - now the second worst POTUS ever. BHO has #1 spot in his sights.)

To: DieHard the Hunter

Hi DieHard,

I’ve been thinking about you and was going to send you a “How Are You” email.

Thanks for the advice. Great points.

I am really looking forward to getting the girls.

Hope all is well with you and your family.

37 posted on 07/24/2009 9:23:32 AM PDT by SamiGirl
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

gun dogs? What the heck is a "gun Dog"

some dog in some district of Japan or something?

Anything but "gun" "Gun" can not be right.

38 posted on 07/24/2009 9:28:34 AM PDT by Steve Van Doorn (*in my best Eric cartman voice* 'I love you guys')

Hi SamiGirl

The family and I are well, thanks. I know you’ll enjoy these two pups: German Shepherds are so much fun! Thanks for rescuing them.

If I can help in any way, drop me a note and I’d be happy to.

Cheers
*DieHard*

39 posted on 07/24/2009 9:28:47 AM PDT by DieHard the Hunter (Is mise an ceann-cinnidh. Cha ghéill mi do dhuine. Fàg am bealach.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 37 | View Replies]

To: Arrowhead1952

Yes, they are really big girls. I’m wondering how big they’ll really get.

We also have a Black Lab. Got him as a puppy and took him to obedience training. He didn’t do well. The only dog in the class that flunked, but he’s just so loving; goofy, but loving.

40 posted on 07/24/2009 9:30:28 AM PDT by SamiGirl
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 36 | View Replies]

One of the interesting things about this is that a dog will look in the direction you point. Try that with a 2- or 3-year-old child. Oh, and if you haven’t seen it already, watch on National Geographic for the show, “Dog Genius.” It will blow you away.

41 posted on 07/24/2009 9:34:22 AM PDT by redhead (You don't have to be eaten by a bear to know he WILL eat you...Check the Half-Baked Sourdough!)

I was going to say, they bay at the moon, they bay when there is no moon, they bay at sunrise and sunset. They bay at the wind, birds, grass, trees, etc.

42 posted on 07/24/2009 9:42:06 AM PDT by razorback-bert (We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.)

Top 5 things with Beagles?

1-2 - Woof Woof Woof Howl Woof Woof Howwwwwwwwwl. It's what they do to flush out rabbits and alert the hunting owner.
3 - Friendly dogs. They are good with kids as well in my experience. I don't hear about beagle bites too often.
4 - Great for rabbit hunting. That's what they do best.
5 - They WANDER. One of my neighbors had a beagle. They need to be fenced in or they go on the incredible journey. I live right outside Ann Arbor. Their beagle wandered and ended up 15 miles away in Brighton. A beagle will catch a scent and then go.

43 posted on 07/24/2009 9:46:16 AM PDT by Darren McCarty (We do what we have to do.)

To: graywaiter

My Siberian Husky died about 5 years ago and I still miss her terribly. So smart. She understood every thing and would laugh at jokes and would tell on cat. Amazing. She went everywhere with me and was my best friend.

However, the combined IQs of the crew we have now wouldn’t add up to her left paw. I suspect the newfie is smarter than he lets on but he’s just too lazy to turn on all brain cells at once. The laziness did save his manhood when the vet was insistant he be fixed but finally agreed the poor thing couldn’t be bothered getting that excited. He does understand pointing though and that humans have names.

44 posted on 07/24/2009 9:50:35 AM PDT by bgill (The evidence simply does not support the official position of the Obama administration)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

I am heading out of the office in a couple of minutes to go pick up my new Mastiff puppy. Got about a 4 hour drive to get there.
My wife and I are really excited about getting our new baby. We did alot of research about breeds and I think she is gonna fit in great. We have an English Bulldog now who we love dearly and their temperament and energy level seem very similar. We wanted a dog with that disposition but that would also be a good guard dog and I think we made the right choice.

Any advice you have for a first time Mastiff owner would be greatly appreciated. Big Red Clay

45 posted on 07/24/2009 9:59:53 AM PDT by Big Red Clay (Greetings from the Big Red State)

Well, we know that the English Sheep dogs get up to 70 lbs. We never had anything larger than a toy poodle.

46 posted on 07/24/2009 10:03:10 AM PDT by Arrowhead1952 (Jimmy Carter - now the second worst POTUS ever. BHO has #1 spot in his sights.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 40 | View Replies]

To: Big Red Clay
You are soooooo lucky. Mastiff puppies are the best and you don't have to know anything about them. Your puppy will love your family and terrify intruders. They are cuddle-bugs and like to lean into you whether you're walking, standing, on the couch, in bed. Doesn't matter.

Is your puppy a Bull, English, Neopolitan? Neos are a little smaller and usually have Blue coats. Gorgeous. I had two.

I'm so excited for you.

47 posted on 07/24/2009 10:30:29 AM PDT by Deb (Beat him, strip him and bring him to my tent!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 45 | View Replies]

Get a Ratty {Rat Terrier or Feist} Ours you have to spell some words and some words misspell so they don't understand :>} Smart dogs great with kids and good watch dogs also. Toy Ratty’s can jump 5 feet high and look similar to a Chihuahua. Full size ones are about 20 pounds. I've owned Labs before as well but Ratty's seem to train easier.
48 posted on 07/24/2009 10:43:02 AM PDT by cva66snipe (Two Choices left for U.S. One Nation Under GOD or One Nation Under Judgement? Which one say ye?)

To: bgill
She'd tell on the cat? Hysterical!Funny how they can be so different isn't it. I breed English Setters and have marveled at the differences between litter mates. Setters, as a rule, have personality and most “grumble” (talk to them & they “talk” back). I have 4 older dogs, all litter mates and their personalities are as follows:

Molly - Queen Bee Alpha Dog(weighs maybe 30 lbs. sleeps inside, GUN SHY! Idiot neighbor sighted in every large bore rifle he owned one day about 50 yds from kennel when pups were 5wks old. (There is a special place in hell for stupid people like him!) She'll hunt like a demon, beautiful points, but as soon as she sees a gun, runs for momma. She nursed my 2 beagle pups when we got them early due to death of mother beagle, but she's never had a litter. Bagged up and had milk! Vet said she was having a psuedo-pregnancy Freaky!)

Buckshot - Speaks English (Hunting?canwegonowcanwegonow?Bird?dadsaidbird!dadsaidbird!canwegonow?#1 bird dog)

Bandit - Loverboy (would be a lapdog if he didn't weigh 80 lbs. Good hunter, knows exactly what to do & expects lots of lovin when he retrieves bird, #2 bird dog)

Sammy - Monster Wuss Setter (weighs 97lbs. returned by buyer because they didn't expect him to get THAT big. Never hunted before return, and does very well, but tires easily. Baby of the bunch.)

All out of the same litter, and different as can be. 3 raised together, Sammy came back after 18 months. The people who bought him just didn't have enough room for a dog that size. I never expected he'd get that big either, but at least I have the facilities for a brute.

49 posted on 07/24/2009 11:33:03 AM PDT by graywaiter (Sure you can trust the government.......just ask any Cherokee)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 44 | View Replies]

To: Big Red Clay

1. Don’t ever allow your mastiff puppy to put his teeth on a human. Ever.

2. Have a basket filled with HER things only—include Kong toys, chew bones, soft cuddly puppy toys also.

3. If you don’t want the dog on the bed when she’s full grown, don’t let her on the bed as a puppy. Same with the couch.

4. Never ever hit her. Shame her, if she must be scolded, then turn away. It will be an indelible lesson, and will nearly break both your hearts.

5. Teach her sit, stay, heel, down, as soon as possible. They learn young and never forget.

6. Be careful that she doesn’t eat gravel. Some mastiff puppies love to chew it, for some reason.

7. Don’t play tug of war. This is a game that, if they learn it, they will ALWAYS get carried away. A smaller person, one that weighs less than the dog, could be accidently injured.

8. Do not let her jump up on you, ever.

9. No need to teach her to guard, it is bred deep in the bone. These dogs instinctively know who is safe.

10. If you are not planning to breed her, get her neutered. Female mastiffs are difficult to breed, sometimes need lots of specialized care, and are extremely protective of pups, even with their family.

These were the tips our breeder gave us. Here is our mastiff’s internet page:

http://www.flyingwfarms.com/amastiff/D%20Tinker.htm

This is a brilliant dog and will do anything to be near you at all times. Just remember—don’t allow her to do anything when she is a puppy that you don’t want her to do when she is full grown. Mine rides in the car beautifully, and attracts a lot of attention (which he receives as his due). He knows all the family names, by the way.

50 posted on 07/24/2009 12:21:06 PM PDT by Judith Anne (Drill here! Drill NOW! Defund the EPA!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 45 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-71 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson