Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: combat_boots; sionnsar

“True. Abbasids. “1001 Nights.” Sheherazad.”

The Abbassids were the second Arab-Muslim Caliphs (not Iranians or Persians), who ruled Iran immediately after the first Arab-Muslim rulers of Iran (the Umayyads Arab Caliphs).

“1001 Nights” is, essentially, known as The “Arabian Tale”; it is from the Arab-Muslim Caliphate era in Iran. It is a hotpotch of certain pre-Islamic Persian folklore & literature, combined with the Egyptian, Indian, Mesopotamian ones. It has little to do with the intentions of Ferdowsi’s Shahnameh.

10 posted on 07/26/2009 9:10:09 AM PDT by odds
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies ]

To: odds

hotpotch = hotchpotch

11 posted on 07/26/2009 9:41:24 AM PDT by odds
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies ]

To: odds

I’ll see your Firdowsi & raise you Umar Khayyam’s “Rubaiyyat” and Rumi’s “Masnavi.” I’ll even throw in Bernard Lewis & Samuel Huntington. Oh, & Ibn Sina.

If you didn’t want opinions and agreement, which the post was ment to do, why not expect someone whose study goes back decades?

The Abbasid absored the Arab influence, just like with Alexander. Khorasan was the most interesting to me though. The waves of invasions and conquest. And Georgia/Azerbaijan. The edge of culture.

The writings of Mary Renault in their entirety, though largely about WWI, are nevertheless intriguing, especially “The Persian Boy.” She was from Mozambique.

All those off-coast listeners learning from desert-loving English. DLI knows its stuff.

15 posted on 07/26/2009 5:03:32 PM PDT by combat_boots (The Lion of Judah cometh. Hallelujah. Gloria Patri, Fili et Spiritus Sancti.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson