Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: odds

I’ll see your Firdowsi & raise you Umar Khayyam’s “Rubaiyyat” and Rumi’s “Masnavi.” I’ll even throw in Bernard Lewis & Samuel Huntington. Oh, & Ibn Sina.

If you didn’t want opinions and agreement, which the post was ment to do, why not expect someone whose study goes back decades?

The Abbasid absored the Arab influence, just like with Alexander. Khorasan was the most interesting to me though. The waves of invasions and conquest. And Georgia/Azerbaijan. The edge of culture.

The writings of Mary Renault in their entirety, though largely about WWI, are nevertheless intriguing, especially “The Persian Boy.” She was from Mozambique.

All those off-coast listeners learning from desert-loving English. DLI knows its stuff.

15 posted on 07/26/2009 5:03:32 PM PDT by combat_boots (The Lion of Judah cometh. Hallelujah. Gloria Patri, Fili et Spiritus Sancti.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies ]

To: combat_boots

Thanks, we needed that.

20 posted on 07/27/2009 10:04:49 AM PDT by norton
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies ]

“If you didn’t want opinions and agreement, which the post was ment to do, why not expect someone whose study goes back decades?”

Nothing against your opinion. I’m sure there are a lot of non-Iranians who are knowledgeable about many aspects of Iranian literature, history and so forth.

Since I happen to be part Iranian, and went to school in Iran during the Shah’s era, the foundation of my knowledge about Iranian history, folklore, literature and poetry comes from that source.

Thanks for mentioning Mary Renault. I’d also suggest you read Abdolhossein Zarrinkoub’s classic book entitled “Two Centuries of Silence”. It is considered one the most reliable sources on the history of Persia after Islam (which includes the Abbassid Arab Caliphate rule of Iran).

24 posted on 07/27/2009 10:46:50 PM PDT by odds

p.s. - as much as your opinion is respected & we aren’t playing poker, your opinion does not change the facts outlined in comment #10. Particularly the last paragraph.

25 posted on 07/28/2009 12:49:10 AM PDT by odds

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson