Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

F1 - GP (General Purpose)
Chode ^ | 8/5/2009 | Chode

Posted on 08/05/2009 7:57:45 PM PDT by Chode

This will be a general purpose thread for F1 news and pings that really don't require a thread of their own.

TOPICS: Sports
KEYWORDS: f1; formulaone; grandprix
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-50 ... 851-900901-950951-1,000 ... 1,551-1,595 next last
To: Chode
1. There's a form of this right now with the technical partnership deals. Bernie must feel that these technical partnerships have not helped the back markers enough, so time for 'sell the complete car' plan.

2. Need some rule stability from year to year to allow older tubs to run while still being competitive.

3. Also how will F1 control everyone from buying last year's Red Bull tub? After all no one would want a 2011 Williams!

901 posted on 03/19/2012 6:03:14 PM PDT by Lockbox
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 900 | View Replies]

To: Lockbox
i'm 100% against it! i can deal with the limited engine/technical partnerships, but, build your own tub or stay home

but that's just me...

902 posted on 03/19/2012 6:34:50 PM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 901 | View Replies]

Well, those smaller teams could just tell F1 to bugger off and head off to the FIA’s new little venture, the WEC. Wouldn’t bother me a bit. I’m a little bias though. I love sportscar racing. I watched the 12 Hours of Sebring this weekend so I’m all the sportscar fanboy at the moment. Sorry ;-)

903 posted on 03/19/2012 9:08:32 PM PDT by kb2614 (Cheer up, for the worst is yet to come!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 900 | View Replies]

To: kb2614
very true, and i love sports car racing, i just grew up with constructors and manufacturers titles where F1 was always the bleeding edge...

old school i guess

904 posted on 03/19/2012 9:19:58 PM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 903 | View Replies]

To: Chode; atc23; Bad~Rodeo; Betis70; bobby.223; bobt7818; BreezyDog; brf1; briankk; cld51860; ...

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2012/4/13186.html

Lotus’s Kimi Raikkonen has endured more than his fair share of misfortune over recent weeks. From the chassis issues which blighted the team’s pre-season test programme to his gearbox penalty in Malaysia, Raikkonen has been dealt a pretty tough hand since returning to the sport.

But despite the disappointments, the Finn’s spirits remain undimmed. Confident in the E20’s potential, the 2007 world champion insists Lotus can compete with the frontrunners, once their luck improves and they finally enjoy a trouble-free race weekend.

“I think we’ve got off to an encouraging start,” he explained to the team’s official website. “It’s been frustrating sometimes with the chassis issues in testing, the qualifying mix-up in Australia and the gearbox change in Malaysia, but we’ve shown we can deal with any problems and come back stronger. The car feels good and we clearly have the pace to be at the front; we just need some better luck.”

905 posted on 04/03/2012 4:06:37 PM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17588028

Formula 1’s governing body the FIA is this week reassessing its position on the legality of a controversial design feature on the Mercedes car.

The move comes in the wake of continuing complaints from rivals about the system. BBC Sport understands at least five teams consider it illegal.

The system uses the DRS rear wing overtaking device to affect the front wing, boosting straight-line speed.

Mercedes built the system after an all-clear from the FIA.

Rivals - who estimate the system is worth as much as 0.5 seconds a lap in qualifying - have been lobbying FIA race director Charlie Whiting about the system since before the first race of the season in Australia last month.

Lotus and Red Bull were the two teams leading objections to the design, which Whiting indicated he felt was legal in both Australia and at the Malaysian race a week later.

When the DRS flap lifts to give the driver the requisite straight-line speed boost, it reveals holes on the inside of the rear-wing endplate.

These holes connect up through channels inside the car to slot gaps on the underside of the front wing, which sucks air from the rear wing, reducing the front wing’s effectiveness.

906 posted on 04/03/2012 4:11:03 PM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)

To: Chode; atc23; Bad~Rodeo; Betis70; bobby.223; bobt7818; BreezyDog; brf1; briankk; cld51860; ...
The Adrian Newey Hit Factory - the designer’s greatest creations

Adrian Newey has come up with something new’ are eight words guaranteed to strike fear into the hearts of even the sturdiest technical directors. For over the last 20 years, Newey has established himself as one of the most innovative - and successful - Formula One car designers.

His 2011 creation - the championship-dominating RB7 - ruled the roost and saw the Englishman claim his eighth world title. But last year’s Red Bull was just the latest in a long line of engineering tours de force that Newey has devised over the past two decades. We take a quick look at some of his greatest hits, as he celebrates receiving an OBE for services to motorsport...

907 posted on 04/04/2012 7:05:46 PM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)

The Adrian Newey Hit Factory - the designer’s greatest creations

Adrian Newey has come up with something new’ are eight words guaranteed to strike fear into the hearts of even the sturdiest technical directors. For over the last 20 years, Newey has established himself as one of the most innovative - and successful - Formula One car designers.

His 2011 creation - the championship-dominating RB7 - ruled the roost and saw the Englishman claim his eighth world title. But last year’s Red Bull was just the latest in a long line of engineering tours de force that Newey has devised over the past two decades. We take a quick look at some of his greatest hits, as he celebrates receiving an OBE for services to motorsport...

908 posted on 04/04/2012 7:07:05 PM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)

Bahrain Grand Prix: Damon Hill says Formula 1 should think again

Former world champion Damon Hill says Formula 1 should re-think plans to hold the Bahrain Grand Prix.

Hill backed the race after visiting the country on a fact-finding mission with motorsport boss Jean Todt in December.

But now he has told the Guardian  : "What we must put above all else is what will be the penalty in terms of human cost if the race goes ahead.

"It would be a bad state of affairs, bad for F1, to be seen to be enforcing martial law to hold the race."

Last year's Bahrain Grand Prix was cancelled following civil unrest in February 2011 in which about 40 people were killed after government forces stormed a protest camp in the Gulf state's capital, Manama.

Unrest continues on an almost daily basis on the island and both opposition groups in Bahrain and human rights activists elsewhere have called for the race to be cancelled.

Hill said: "Looking at it today you'd have to say that [the race] could be creating more problems than it's solving.

"The protests have not abated and may even have become more determined and calculated. It is a worrying state of affairs."

The Bahrain race organisers held a lunch in London last week at which they argued that holding the grand prix would have an important unifying role in the country.

And F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone has said he has no doubts about holding the event, which is scheduled for 22 April.

909 posted on 04/05/2012 4:50:52 PM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)

Ross Brawn says controversial Mercedes wing system ‘hard to copy’

Mercedes say they will retain the advantage of a controversial design on their car for some time to come because it is difficult to copy.

Rivals have questioned the legality of a system that links the DRS rear wing overtaking aid with the front wing, boosting straight-line speed.

It had been thought that rivals could copy the system by the fifth race of the season.

But Mercedes boss Ross Brawn said: “The opposition is so fierce [because] there’s a recognition it’s quite difficult to do.”

Brawn explained that while the technology is simple in operation, it is hard to integrate it into a car that was not designed from scratch with the system in mind.

Mercedes have cut holes onto the inside of the vertical endplates of the rear wing which are revealed when the driver pushes a button to operate the DRS, which lifts the flap on the rear wing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17630062

910 posted on 04/05/2012 4:54:32 PM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)

I remember Fango was kidnapped in Cuba when they had a GP there ...... this could be much worse

they should scrap this race

911 posted on 04/05/2012 7:19:41 PM PDT by Elle Bee
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 909 | View Replies]

To: Elle Bee
Kidnapped in Cuba

It's well known that sport and politics don't mix. But while most sportsmen feel uneasy in the world of politics, politicians have historically been all too keen to become involved in sport.

In 1958 President Fulgencio Batista was trying to retain an air of normality to Cuba. Fidel Castro's guerrilla forces were camping in the mountains and rioters were becoming more aggressive in the streets, but in downtown Havana Batista was keen for business to continue as usual.

Batista's vision was for the capital to become a Latino Las Vegas, where rich tourists from the United States would pump money into the country's coffers. And what better way to attract the wealthy and frivolous than a motor race.

The first Cuban Grand Prix was held in 1957 and by all accounts it had been a great success. Juan Manuel Fangio, the No. 1 driver of the era, won the race in front of streets lined with enthusiastic and curious spectators. In 1958 a repeat event was scheduled, but with the revolution less than a year away things did not go quite so smoothly.

Fangio came back to defend his title and alongside him on the grid were a host of other big name drivers, including the world No. 2 Stirling Moss. The drivers approached the non-championship race as any other, with the most famous among them staying at the luxurious Hotel Lincoln. On the eve of the grand prix Fangio walked into the lobby on his way to dinner only to be confronted by a young man in a leather jacket brandishing a pistol.

According to reports from the time the slightly nervous assailant barked: "Fangio, you must come with me. I am a member of the 26th of July revolutionary movement." One of Fangio's friends picked up a paperweight and moved to throw it at the intruder, but the pistol jerked round. "Stay still," its owner said. "If you move, I shoot." And with that, Fangio accompanied the young man to a waiting car.

The motive was simple, by capturing the biggest name in motorsport the rebels were showing up the government and attracting worldwide publicity to their cause. But despite the shocking news spreading across the globe, Batista would not be outdone and ordered the race to continue as usual while a crack team of police hunted down the kidnappers.

Moss was kept under guard throughout the night with a watchman knocking on the door every three hours to make sure he was still in his bed. "It was a very disturbing night," he recalled. "Fangio told the rebels, `You mustn't take Stirling because he's on his honeymoon' - which was a lie of course, but nevertheless was very decent of him."

Fangio, meanwhile, was taking it all in his stride and was being treated to a slap-up meal of steak and potatoes before "sleeping like a blessed one" in a well furnished apartment. Convinced that he was not in danger he went on to develop a case of Stockholm Syndrome, admitting afterwards that he sympathised with his captors' actions: "Well, this is one more adventure. If what the rebels did was in a good cause, then I, as an Argentine, accept it."

As ordered by Batista, on the morning of the race the cars were fired up in front of a 150,000-strong crowd with Maurice Trintignant filling in at Maserati for the missing Fangio. By this time the great Argentinean had been given a personal apology by Castro's second in command, Faustino Perez, and had even been supplied with a radio so that he could listen to the action. But Fangio was not in the mood. "I became a little sentimental," he said. "I did not want to listen because I felt nostalgic." It was just as well, as Fangio's sentimental state of mind that morning could well have been pushed to the limit had he known what happened on the track.

It all started well with Moss and fellow Ferrari driver Maston Gregory taking an early lead in what was widely predicted to be a close fight. But by the time the leaders started their fifth lap, almost every corner of the 3.5-mile circuit was slick with oil and the cars started to run perilously close to the barriers. At first the organisers suspected a second rebel sabotage, but it was later discovered that Roberto Mieres' Porsche had a broken oil line.

On the next lap the inevitable happened, local driver Armando Garcia Cifuentes lost control of his yellow and black Ferrari and went head-on into a bunch of spectators lining the circuit. Over 40 people were injured and seven killed as the wreckage took out a make-shift bridge and flew over the crash barriers. Porsche driver Ulf Noriden stopped on track and attempted to help: "I couldn't even see the Ferrari. The bodies were piled all over. I was wading in arms and legs."

Stirling Moss went on to win the race after just six laps © Getty Images
Enlarge

Moss, unaware of the extent of the tragedy, continued racing against Gregory at the front of the field and went on to take one of the most bizarre victories of his career.

"I was driving around and the next thing I knew there had been an accident and a bridge had fallen down. Well I say a bridge, it was more like a couple of bits of wood with ladders either side, but nevertheless the red flag was out and everybody started going slowly. At that time I was dicing for position with Maston Gregory, although we weren't really racing because you don't race at the beginning of a 500km grand prix. So he was in front for some of the way, then I was, then he was when the accident happened.

"We came onto the start-finish straight with him slightly ahead and I could see the finish line coming up, so I snuck it back into second, put my foot down and went past to take the win. When we stopped he wasn't too pleased and said, 'Now listen, I was in the lead all that time...' And I said, 'Well yes, but not when we passed the finish line.'

"I knew that the only person who could issue the red flag was the clerk of the course and he could never have waved it from the bridge, so that one had to be an unauthorised one - he could never have got their so fast from his usual position on the start-finish line.

"So I said to Maston, 'Look, keep quiet, we'll pool our money together and then split it.' And that's exactly what we did, because otherwise it would have gone to the organisers or whoever to decide and it would be years before we got the money.

"So officially I was the winner. The truth was either of us could have won it, but what the hell, it didn't matter. Why have an argument about it? Especially with everything else that had happened that weekend."

The whole event had been a disaster and when Fangio was handed over to the Argentine embassy soon after the race, with worldwide headlines assured for Castro's revolutionaries, blame started to be apportioned. Cifuentes was rather unfairly charged with manslaughter while still fighting for his life in hospital and criminal charges were also filed against "person or persons unknown" for kidnapping Fangio.

Castro's revolution was successful over the New Year but it was not until 1960, at the Camp Columbia military airfield, that motor racing resumed. The main event was won by Moss but it was again tainted, this time by the death of Ettore Chimeri, who crashed his Ferrari through a barrier and plunged 150 feet into a ravine. He later died in hospital.

Over the following years organised motor racing ceased on the island, never to return. Despite its popularity, the sport was considered too bourgeois by the communist regime. Put simply, it no longer matched the politics.

912 posted on 04/05/2012 7:27:30 PM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 911 | View Replies]

Williams panders to the distaff side

Williams have signed up German touring car driver Susie Wolff as the team's development driver.

Wolff, 29, will join Williams as a development driver, which involves aerodynamic testing, simulator work and track tests.

Team principal Frank Williams said: "Susie is a talented racing driver who competes in one of the world's most fiercely-contested racing series [DTM]...

Susie is married to Toto Wolff, a director of Williams, and her appointment was carefully considered and then approved by the board, with Toto recusing himself from the process. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17682392

FIA reassessing controversial Mercedes wing system

Formula 1's governing body the FIA is this week reassessing its position on the legality of a controversial design feature on the Mercedes car.

The move comes in the wake of continuing complaints from rivals about the system. BBC Sport understands at least five teams consider it illegal.

The system uses the DRS rear wing overtaking device to affect the front wing, boosting straight-line speed.

Mercedes built the system after an all-clear from the FIA.

Rivals - who estimate the system is worth as much as 0.5 seconds a lap in qualifying - have been lobbying FIA race director Charlie Whiting about the system since before the first race of the season in Australia last month.

Lotus and Red Bull were the two teams leading objections to the design, which Whiting indicated he felt was legal in both Australia and at the Malaysian race a week later.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17588028

F1 teams expect Bahrain Grand Prix to be called off

A number of Formula 1 teams expect the Bahrain Grand Prix to be called off amid security concerns caused by civil unrest, BBC Sport has learned.

F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone says no teams have expressed concerns to him.

A statement from the Formula One Teams' Association on Tuesday said it was down to the FIA to cancel the race.

Teams will meet Ecclestone at the weekend when a decision is expected. However authorities remain confident the race will go ahead. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17676140

913 posted on 04/11/2012 3:38:59 PM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)

Williams have signed up German touring car driver Susie Wolff as the team's development driver.

Just to clarify, Susie Wolff is British, it's just that she's racing (or, holding up the rest of the field as it were) in the top German touring car series. (Which is actually pretty entertaining, and this year BMW will be back again to join Audi and Mercedes.) Hence her getting hired by Williams as the token ****.

Susie Wolff

914 posted on 04/11/2012 4:29:26 PM PDT by Moltke (Always retaliate first.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 913 | View Replies]

To: Moltke
Dannica Wolff...

Debut season 2006
Current team Persson Motorsport
Car no. 10
Starts 61
Wins 0
Poles 0
Fastest laps 0
Best finish 13th in 2010

915 posted on 04/11/2012 4:47:37 PM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 914 | View Replies]

I know Bernie will do anything for the Money but Bahrain should be scraped this year and from the schedule in the future until there is some stability ...... I don't think the muslum brotherhood are F1 fans

916 posted on 04/11/2012 5:07:27 PM PDT by Elle Bee
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 913 | View Replies]

absolutely 100% right...
917 posted on 04/11/2012 5:21:56 PM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 916 | View Replies]

LOL!!! That nails it.

918 posted on 04/12/2012 1:58:29 AM PDT by Moltke (Always retaliate first.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 915 | View Replies]

The pit buildings are under construction at the new venue that will hold the Grand Prix of America in New Jersey in 2013. The floor above the pit garages will contain hospitality suites with views of the pit straight and the New York City skyline.

Full story: Auto Week 

Officials in Austin, Texas, are confident the new track slated to hold the return of the US Grand Prix this November will be ready in time. Construction work by 550 workers is taking place six days a week, sometimes overnight.

Full story: Austin Statesman 

919 posted on 04/12/2012 3:16:37 PM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxvbfm8P47Y

920 posted on 04/12/2012 5:32:29 PM PDT by Doogle (((USAF.68-73..8th TFW Ubon Thailand..never store a threat you should have eliminated)))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 919 | View Replies]

To: Doogle

i like that one better...

921 posted on 04/12/2012 5:46:20 PM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 920 | View Replies]

I kinda got it right....what I thought it was going to look like a few months ago...I know the area some...*smiles* Down by the water is fairly new....the wide main street up top is old time

922 posted on 04/12/2012 5:53:14 PM PDT by Doogle (((USAF.68-73..8th TFW Ubon Thailand..never store a threat you should have eliminated)))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 921 | View Replies]

this one is better yet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m10_f1o_0So

923 posted on 04/12/2012 6:00:55 PM PDT by Doogle (((USAF.68-73..8th TFW Ubon Thailand..never store a threat you should have eliminated)))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 921 | View Replies]

To: Doogle
Hamilton no less...
924 posted on 04/12/2012 6:07:37 PM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 923 | View Replies]

Oh, now that’s pathetic. Diversity in racing is beyond stupid, it’s dangerous.

925 posted on 04/13/2012 7:12:00 AM PDT by FourPeas ("Maladjusted and wigging out is no way to go through life, son." -hg)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 915 | View Replies]

To: FourPeas
if she totals a test car, it's damn expensive tooo!!!
926 posted on 04/13/2012 2:53:18 PM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 925 | View Replies]

Bernie lives up to his sterotype once again

Clashes hit Bahrain Formula One exhibit | Fox News

Security forces fired stun grenades Wednesday at anti-government protesters who swarmed into a cultural exhibition for Bahrain's Formula One race, setting off street battles and sending visitors fleeing for cover.

It was a blow to the Gulf nation's efforts to project stability, returning to the Grand Prix circuit a year after the race was canceled because of unrest.

The demonstration was the most direct attempt by protesters to bring their demands into events linked to Sunday's race, Bahrain's top international showcase. The resumption of the top-level auto race is being touted by Bahrain's rulers as a sign they have the upper hand after 14 months of clashes and crackdowns.

Nearly 50 people have been killed since February 2011 in violence between security forces and protesters from Bahrain's Shiite majority, which seeks to break the near monopoly on power by the island nation's Sunni monarchy.

Shiites account for about 70 percent of Bahrain's population, but claim they face widespread discrimination and are blocked from key political or military posts. The Sunni leaders have offered some reforms, but the opposition says they fall short of their demands.

"Down, down Formula One," some protesters shouted in the traditional market area in Bahrain's capital, where displays set up for the F1 race featured local handicrafts, food and other items.

The demonstrators also shouted messages of support for a jailed activist who has been on a hunger strike for more than two months. Some of the placards accused the U.S. — a close ally of Bahrain's leaders — of ignoring their struggle while backing with other reform movements in the Arab Spring.

Washington has pressed Bahrain's rulers to open dialogue with opposition groups, but has been careful not to jeopardize its vital military ties with Bahrain as home to the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet — one of the Pentagon's main counterweights to Iran in the Gulf.

At the exhibition, riot police fired stun grenades and pepper spray as hundreds of protesters pressed close to the stalls and shops. Visitors ran for safety, leaving shopping bags and sandals on the road. Many shopkeepers closed early — another sign that unrest might mar hopes the F1 race could help the country's hard-hit businesses.

There were no reports of injuries, but several protesters were detained.

Earlier Wednesday, dozens of people confronted Bahrain's crown prince and shouted anti-government slogans in a neighborhood that has been an opposition stronghold during the 14-month uprising.

Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa was not injured in the outburst, but it carried powerful symbolism because he is a key backer of the Formula One race.

The crown prince was surrounded as he left a funeral of a Shiite executive who worked on one of his labor reform projects.

The ceremony was in Sanabis, the site of frequent clashes between security forces and Shiite protesters seeking to break Sunni dynasty's tight grip on power.

In London, two activists were arrested Tuesday after occupying the roof of the Bahraini Embassy and unfurling a banner bearing pictures of Al-Khawaja, a prisoner on hunger strike, and senior Shiite opposition leader Hassan Mushaima. Both are sentenced to life in prison. The protesters have been identified the protesters as Mushaima's son, Ali, and 30-year-old Moosa Satrawi.

Al-Khawaja's wife, Khadija al-Musawi, told The Associated Press that his family is concerned about what she described as her husband's declining health. She said the family will hold the government responsible for his death in custody.

In addition to refusing food for more than two months, al-Khadija said her husband is now also refusing IV drips and water.

"I am really worried about him," al-Musawi said in a phone interview Wednesday. "The government wants my husband dead."

927 posted on 04/19/2012 2:33:40 PM PDT by Elle Bee
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 926 | View Replies]

if the race is scrubbed... every ticket holder should sue the old bastard!!!
928 posted on 04/19/2012 2:46:11 PM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 927 | View Replies]

I still have my stub from the indy race where only three teams raced because of the tires

929 posted on 04/19/2012 2:50:41 PM PDT by Elle Bee
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 928 | View Replies]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17955548

Force India handed £650,000 legal bill in copyright dispute

Force India have been ordered by a High Court judge to pay £650,000 legal costs to the Caterham team and their chief technical officer Mike Gascoyne.

The amount is on top of the £700,000 in fees Force India had to pay Italian race-car design company Aerolab over the same case in March.

The case arose when Aerolab pursued Force India for unpaid fees before Force India accused them and Team Lotus, Caterham’s former identity, of misuse of confidential information.

In the trial verdict in March, Force India were awarded £20,900 over use of its intellectual property rights, which the judge said had been used as a “shortcut” to speed up the development of the Team Lotus car for the 2010 season, when they made their debut.

The judge rejected Force India’s claim that there had been “systematic copying” of their designs, saying they had “come nowhere near establishing that was the case”.

930 posted on 05/04/2012 3:20:32 PM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)

good luck collecting..................

931 posted on 05/04/2012 3:32:08 PM PDT by Lockbox
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 930 | View Replies]

that's what i thought, specially if it has to be paid in 14days...
932 posted on 05/04/2012 3:53:14 PM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 931 | View Replies]

Nico Rosberg explains his driving position

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsvWnGgT7Ok&feature=player_embedded

933 posted on 05/19/2012 1:25:42 PM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)

F1 head protection ‘inevitable’
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18104886
Formula 1 will introduce some form of additional driver head protection in the not-too-distant future, race director Charlie Whiting says.

Governing body the FIA is conducting research on methods of head protection and Whiting believes F1 must adopt one.

“There has to be something to try to prevent a wheel hitting a driver’s head,” Whiting told BBC Sport.

He added that roll-over protection in front of the driver “is the most likely option in my opinion”.

But he emphasised that “the research should be done first, so we are able to come up with something that works”.

Researchers at the FIA Institute have so far tried two types of jet canopy and a forward roll-hoop.

The roll-hoop, made of titanium, was the most effective. It deflected the wheel, as well as puncturing the tyre, which makes it stop much more quickly than if it stays inflated.

The jet-style canopies were both flawed to varying degrees.

A 30mm polycarbonate windshield deflected the wheel but shattered, while a canopy from a jet fighter worked effectively but would cause other problems, including distorted vision.

Whiting said: “The canopy has potential problems, particularly in that there were very likely to be visibility issues as it may create a distorted image for the driver.

“There are also the issues of weight, driver egress and driver extraction.”

F1 cars already include wheel tethers, which have drastically reduced the likelihood of wheels becoming detached from cars in the event of an accident, but they are unlikely ever to be foolproof.

“We have done our best to stop a wheel coming off and we are constantly working hard to come up with better ways of making sure wheels stay attached to cars,” Whiting said.

more...

934 posted on 05/20/2012 7:29:26 PM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)

2012 FORMULA ONE TECHNICAL REGULATIONS

new regs, looks like they addressed the non-linear throttle pedals and are going after McLaren's rear tire heater. Interesting that they are talking about torque and torque demand.......

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/13C06BF289E0E36FC12579C9003CB5B9/$FILE/1-2012%20TECHNICAL%20REGULATIONS%2009-03-2012.pdf

935 posted on 05/21/2012 10:13:54 AM PDT by Lockbox
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 934 | View Replies]

that document is seriously messed up... parts are missing and there are parts in it not in the table of contents

i couldn't find the part about tire heat, the part on the throttle i found was talking about toque but i didn't see anything about it being non-linear

does it ramp up fast then slow down near the top or does it ramp up slow and get faster near the top

936 posted on 05/21/2012 3:03:27 PM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 935 | View Replies]

Here you are:

5.5.5 - At any given engine speed the driver torque demand map must be monotonically increasing for an increase in accelerator pedal position.

12.7.3 - The only permitted type of tyre heating devices are blankets which use resistive heating elements. The heating elements may only act upon the outer tyre surface.

937 posted on 05/21/2012 5:12:36 PM PDT by Lockbox
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 936 | View Replies]

you are much more up on it than i am so three questions

1)does the McLaren throttle work on a cam and 2)is it increasing or decreasing radius and 3)what tire of tire heaters are they using now

thx...

938 posted on 05/21/2012 5:20:57 PM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 937 | View Replies]

FIA clamped down on engine mapping which used exhaust gases for blown diffusers. Some teams came up with a non-linear throttle which may provide more exhaust flow thus gaining down force entering the corners. Also may be used on exit as a 'driver controlled' traction aid.

All teams use a electric blanket type tire heaters prior to installing the tire/wheel on the car. What McLaren is rumored to do is adjust the rear brake exhaust flow to heat the wheel which heats the tire. Since this year's F1 tires only work in a narrow temperature range, McLaren can increase or decrease the directed brake heat to the wheel, thus maintaining the desired tire temperature range.

939 posted on 05/21/2012 6:09:48 PM PDT by Lockbox
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 938 | View Replies]

thx...
940 posted on 05/21/2012 6:23:27 PM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 939 | View Replies]

Cracking the (bar)code - Pirelli on tyre tracking

Pirelli bring around 1800 tyres to each Grand Prix, but the destiny of these tyres is mapped out long before they arrive at the circuit. The tyres for each race are made in a specific production run before the Grand Prix.

They are manufactured at Pirelli’s state-of-the-art motorsport facility in Izmit, just outside the Turkish city of Istanbul. During the production process, each tyre is allocated a barcode provided by Formula One racing’s governing body, the FIA. This barcode is the tyre’s ‘passport’, which is embedded firmly into the structure during the vulcanisation process and cannot be swapped. The code contains all the details of each tyre, making it traceable throughout the race weekend with Pirelli’s RTS (Racing Tyre System) software, which can read and update all the data.

For European Grands Prix, the tyres are then transported to Pirelli’s logistics and distribution hub at Didcot in the United Kingdom. Once they arrive there, an FIA official receives a list of bar codes, which relate to the tyres that will be taken to the next grand prix. The FIA then allocates bar codes - and therefore tyres - to each individual teams at random. Pirelli itself is not involved in this process at all, meaning that the Italian firm cannot influence which tyres are allocated to which teams, although a rigorous quality control process in Izmit ensures that all the tyres leaving the factory are identical.

Once at the circuit, the tyres are then allocated to the teams in strict compliance with the list that has been previously prepared by the FIA. The bar codes allow both the FIA and Pirelli to ensure that the right teams, according to the regulations, are using the correct tyres.

Each team is allocated a Pirelli engineer, who works exclusively with that team for all of the year, but the database that every engineer works off allows the engineer to see only information relating specifically to his or her team over the weekend, so that individual strategies are not compromised. Development data is overseen by Pirelli’s senior engineers, who monitor all the information in order to assist the research team in charge of shaping the next generation of tyres.

As Pirelli’s motorsport director Paul Hembery points out: “Even if we wanted to - which we certainly don’t - there is no way that we could influence which tyres are being allocated to which teams, as this is a job taken care of entirely by the FIA once the tyres have left the Izmit factory. It is just another way that impartiality can be ensured among all the teams, which is a huge priority for us as exclusive tyre supplier. The way that our team engineers work also respects this confidentiality, which is always of paramount importance.”

more... http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2012/5/13368.html

941 posted on 05/22/2012 3:59:02 PM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)

Gee and I remember the days of climbing into the tire trailer and measuring the tires so as to pick the tires our team wanted.....

942 posted on 05/22/2012 4:15:45 PM PDT by Lockbox
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 941 | View Replies]

the 70's??? 8^)
943 posted on 05/22/2012 4:29:26 PM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 942 | View Replies]

Bill Clinton shares spotlight in Monaco with porn starlets Brooklyn Lee and Tasha Reign

944 posted on 05/24/2012 6:03:53 AM PDT by Elle Bee
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 941 | View Replies]

Monaco Grand Prix: Suspect package exploded at circuit

A bomb disposal expert has undertaken a controlled explosion of a suspect package in the paddock at the Monaco Grand Prix circuit.

A small white plastic box was found outside the entrance to the media centre, the Salle d’Exposition, near to La Rascasse on Thursday evening.

The area was then sealed off, before the bomb disposal expert decided the package was suspect.

The controlled explosion left shards of white plastic strewn across the floor.

It is the second time in successive years a bomb disposal unit has been summoned to the paddock ahead of the Monaco race.

Last year they had to examine a discarded bag before the race on Sunday, although the item was eventually declared safe.

945 posted on 05/24/2012 6:26:44 PM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)

I hope everyone on this thread that is using JimRob’s website as their own personal play pin is contributing $100 or more.

Yes?? Or no??

946 posted on 05/24/2012 7:41:25 PM PDT by citizen (Obama blames:Arab Spring,Banks,Big Oil,Bush,Ceos,Coal,Euro Zone,FNC,Jpn Tsunami,T Party,Wall St,You)

Charlie:

Check out “Sovereign Order” (book #4 - Iranian sponsored WMD attack on the Monaco Grand Prix) just pre-released as Ebook on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

Jim Macomber

947 posted on 05/28/2012 7:36:54 AM PDT by jim macomber ("Bargained for Exchange" "Art & Part" "A Grave Breach" "Sovereign Order " - www.jamesmacomber.com)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 945 | View Replies]

To: jim macomber
outstanding!!! will do...
948 posted on 05/28/2012 7:45:54 AM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 947 | View Replies]

To: jim macomber
when it comes out in hardback i'll send you a check if you'll sign one for me
949 posted on 05/28/2012 7:48:57 AM PDT by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 947 | View Replies]

To: Jeff Head; JulieRNR21; Joe Brower; JohnHuang2; Travis McGee; Squantos; Dubya; hosepipe; blackie; ...
Fact meets fiction (or vice-versa)

Check out “Sovereign Order” (book #4 - Iranian sponsored WMD attack on the Monaco Grand Prix) just pre-released as Ebook on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

Jim Macomber

F1 - GP (General Purpose)
Thursday, May 24, 2012 9:26:44 PM

Monaco Grand Prix: Suspect package exploded at circuit

A bomb disposal expert has undertaken a controlled explosion of a suspect package in the paddock at the Monaco Grand Prix circuit.
A small white plastic box was found outside the entrance to the media centre, the Salle d’Exposition, near to La Rascasse on Thursday evening.
The area was then sealed off, before the bomb disposal expert decided the package was suspect.
The controlled explosion left shards of white plastic strewn across the floor.
It is the second time in successive years a bomb disposal unit has been summoned to the paddock ahead of the Monaco race.
Last year they had to examine a discarded bag before the race on Sunday, although the item was eventually declared safe.

950 posted on 05/28/2012 10:34:25 AM PDT by jim macomber ("Bargained for Exchange" "Art & Part" "A Grave Breach" "Sovereign Order " - www.jamesmacomber.com)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 945 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-50 ... 851-900901-950951-1,000 ... 1,551-1,595 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson