Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

The Hobbit Hole XXXVIII - There and Back Again!

Posted on 09/23/2009 6:19:16 AM PDT by HairOfTheDog

Welcome to The Hobbit Hole!

TOPICS: The Hobbit Hole
KEYWORDS: corinnumber1; firstkeyword; jrgotanewjob; secondprecious
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-50 ... 4,001-4,0504,051-4,1004,101-4,150 ... 4,301-4,311 next last
To: 300winmag

Check your FReepmail :)

4,051 posted on 04/28/2013 1:12:20 AM PDT by ExGeeEye (It's been over 90 days; time to start on 2014. Carpe GOP!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4050 | View Replies]

To: Ramius; g'nad; osagebowman; Lost Dutchman; Squantos; Corin Stormhands; JenB; TalonDJ; ExGeeEye; ...
I hope this week's Saturday Night Gun Pron has a bit more content than the usual thin offerings of the last few weeks.

Let me start with an item rarely seen in normal times, much less in this era. Up until last week, Uncle Joe was the world's authority, and he guaranteed that nobody needed more than a double-barrel shotgun, fired from the upstairs balcony (for those who have balconies and upstairs) to scare off any bad guy. Or a pump shotgun, which might not even need ammo, since the sound of the pump handle being worked also carried his personal guarantee to scare off the bad guy.

So, taking the best of both his worlds, I bought the Kel-Tec KSG:

It's a pump shotgun with two magazines holding six 3" shotshells each, selectable by a lever in the loading port. I can't really tell if the "business end" would be sufficiently threatening to deter the average bad guy.

I felt my left hand would be too close to the muzzle to use those factory sling loops right next to the muzzle, so I added a Magpul angle grip/hand stop and a QD sling swivel on the bottom rail, and a Magpul quick/change single/double point sling, rather than the simple nylon strap provided. The BUIS are there simply to be prepared for the rare situation where I might have to fire it like a rifle.

And behind the pistol grip is a typical 2-3/4 inch shotshell, and a now-rare Mexican half-size shell. With vey limited testing, it is possible the little guy might work, allowing for about 24 rounds in the tubes. I know it is far above state and federal magazine capacities for hunting.

All-in-all, an effective conversation-starter, and (I hope) effective confrontation-limiter.

Based on my own lyin' eyes, I'm beginning to believe there really is some evidence of holding back product in the firearms industry. Not just guns, but even the nickel-dime accessories. I didn't see MTM ammo boxes fly out of the store as fast as AR15s, but they've been impossible to find for months. Now, BLAM! they're in the store by the pallet, including new models I never save before. I went crazy and bought a bunch of the new ones, simply because I have more ammo that should be stored in moisture-resistant, stackable boxes.

Same thing for holsters, with my MSR store getting in several hundred from three manufacturers in one week. Coincidence?

Getting to know the owner is paying dividends. His store, which is heavily armed, armored, and monitored, is also the vault for much of his personal collection, too. He's been showing me some of the goodies that appear as special deals for attendees of the SHOT show, and are never seen again as commercial products. He's started to bring out stuff I never saw except in advertising, and one item I wished I had never seen.

This is the Australian L2(???) which may or may not have been a candidate to replace the Vietnam-era M16 with something cheaper, and a source of pride for Oz.

This stock photo does not do justice to how cheap and ugly it appears in real life. I didn't even want to hold it, because I was so offended by it, it was like trying to hold a turd by the clean end.

Looking at the picture, I believe the design is based on the plain-but-efficient Armalite AR18, but was severely worked over with an ugly stick. Then it was given to some high school kids as a makeup project to make it look even uglier and cheaper. They probably saved themselves from flunking with this project.

The Australian company probably realized their own hope of survival was to sell this on the American commercial market (as Steyr did with their GB pistol), and, during the Reagan golden years, it was imported by a California company in just enough numbers for the store owner to score one for himself. In reality, it is probably as dependable and serviceable as the AR18. In my own opinion, after shooting and maintaining lots of military weapons, some of which where downright fugly, this would destroy my morale, no matter how sterling is was on the battlefield. I'd consider airdropping this rifle on the enemy as a war crime, much less giving it to someone's own troops.

Australia stumbled along with the M16, Enfield, and AUG. All were/are expensive, a genuine POS as far as the Enfield went, and pricey when the AUG is fully tricked-out like ozzies tend to do. They were all vast improvements over this justifiably forgotten weapon. :)

4,052 posted on 05/05/2013 2:42:05 AM PDT by 300winmag (Whatever CAN go wrong has already happened. We just don't know about it yet.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4051 | View Replies]

Oooo. I’ve been eyeballing the KSG for a while. I;m glad to see it’s real not vaporware.

Have you shot it yet?

4,053 posted on 05/05/2013 7:15:06 AM PDT by Professional Engineer (No one expects the Sephardic Invitation!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4052 | View Replies]

To: Professional Engineer; 300winmag

Morning gents, nope they aren’t vaporware but apparently the LGS that had one figured they were made out of unobtainium. It was a bout double SMRP. I did fondle it a bit as did others, first one we had seen. It isn’t ‘a sweet handling bird gun, like a Superposed or Sterlingworth’ but it seems to be able to do what it is supposed to do, make folks take heed. I’d like to shoot one, just because..

Well done Winmag, hope for range report, if your range allows its use; not many do, hope yours does.

4,054 posted on 05/05/2013 8:56:18 AM PDT by osagebowman
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4053 | View Replies]

Great report as usual..... Beware too much wear and tear aka force on that lower plastic rail ....

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/02/daniel-zimmerman/pump-gun-problem-kel-tec-ksg-rail-ruptures/

Might be worth using an end mill and removing the plastic rail and replace / reinforce with a aluminum one.... I have Surefire M900 I want to put on mine when one shows up at local shop for sale..... May need to leave accessories off shy of a X400 surefire and leave it alone.

Ya may consider using that sling as a single point transition style rig versus nuts to butt attachment points. Just a thought.....

Stay safe !

4,055 posted on 05/05/2013 9:09:13 AM PDT by Squantos ( Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet ...)

To: Squantos; osagebowman
Great report as usual..... Beware too much wear and tear aka force on that lower plastic rail ....

I read the article. I would use the word, "break", rather than "rupture" in the title. Second, the user never stated, but I inferred, he was using that vertical grip to handle a large part of some rather nasty recoil. I have no idea on how hard he torqued down his attaching bolts, or if he had them butted up against the forward cross rail, to most efficiently transfer recoils forces from the weapon to the accessory. I do this religiously for everything on rails, including sights and scope. Finally, I don't know if he was checking for "slop" or movement during the first few rounds fired with any new gun.

I have the Magpul AFG2 angled foregrip on the pump handle first and foremost as a hand stop. Second, it provides me multiple ways to grasp the forend due to my carpal tunnel. I have a few tacticool shotguns, all with plastic rails, and do NOT have vertical grips on any of them to use as a mechanical advantage in operating the handle, or handling a big part of the recoil.

Based on the very little said in the article, I suspect the shooter was making a couple of careless moves that bit him around shot 10. I will be doubly-careful when trying mine out, however, since I suspect this was a cascading series of user errors.

Oh, I paid regular MSRP for mine (still unchanged from long ago), and the sling is a Magpul MSR2, which lets me unclamp the front of the sling, and clamp it to a D-ring near the rear, for single-point use.

Thanks for the heads-up, I will double-check everything before I shoot, and while shooting. My suspicion was it was the old rock-and-slide that done in the plastic.

4,056 posted on 05/05/2013 11:10:45 AM PDT by 300winmag (Whatever CAN go wrong has already happened. We just don't know about it yet.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4055 | View Replies]

I read a review that said a good idea is to attach a metal spacer rail to the plastic one before putting on the foregrip.

4,057 posted on 05/06/2013 10:46:14 AM PDT by TalonDJ
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4056 | View Replies]

To: TalonDJ; Ramius; g'nad; osagebowman; Squantos
In the "chance favors the prepared mind" department, I stumbled across the older brother of my SiG P220 the other day at "the store". It only lasted a couple of hours, and I recognized it immediately as something special. It's the all-stainless SiG P220ST, made for only a short time in 2000-2001.

This one is truly a gift from the gods. It's a working weapon with about 1000-2000 rounds through it, and some custom mods that indicate it wasn't a cop gun. The Hogue extra-chunky rubber grips are rather beat up, and will be replace by the current slimline factory plastic grips. There's lots of holster wear on it, but it doesn't show as much on stainless. It also weighs 10 ounces more than my P220 Elite, which has the latest of bells and whistles on it. Of course, the SiG "short trigger" and SRT trigger kit weren't even gleams in designers eyes yet, but the frame is basically unchanged from 12 years ago, so those parts are on order, and will teach this old dog some new tricks.

The one thing I was most grateful for was the nice job of breaking the handgun in for me. At perhaps 2000 rounds, it's at the stage I'd say was "experienced". While the stainless steel bearing surfaces are polished together, a little bit of Nanolube made the gun feel like its internal workings were somehow made of melted butter. This is the way I always like to see a working handgun, which is why I called it "a gift from the gods". New grips, new trigger parts, and it's ready to rock on as an experienced adult weapon.

One interesting thing about it is that the owner must not have been impressed by the newfangled Glock front rails, probably because so many holster weren't on the shelf for them yet. He had most of the rail milled away so things worked better in the holster.

I learned enough from my father to recognize this as a serviceable bit of machine work, but lacked the finishing touch of skating off another half-thousandth with an ultra-sharp mill, and a slow, steady feed.

Still, when you know exactly what you want, and you find it in a rare variation, it doesn't get much better. And I already have enough magazines, bought during the "great dream time" when I'd buy stuff I wanted, but not really needed, when it came on sale. :)

4,058 posted on 05/10/2013 2:13:46 AM PDT by 300winmag (Whatever CAN go wrong has already happened. We just don't know about it yet.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4057 | View Replies]

To: Ramius; g'nad; osagebowman; Lost Dutchman; Squantos; Corin Stormhands; JenB; TalonDJ; ExGeeEye; ...
Just a quick look at range results from my first time out with the old warhorse. More than satisfactory, and I think the technological tweaks will improve performance a bit more.

4,059 posted on 05/12/2013 2:25:23 AM PDT by 300winmag (Whatever CAN go wrong has already happened. We just don't know about it yet.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4057 | View Replies]

Ah win-mag, you did it again. Nice score. Seems the previous owner had the right idea, get that rail off of there, spoils the look a classic handgun. You shootin’ ‘frangible’, FMJ or lead in that one?

Wasn’t that rail non-standard, you needed an adaptor to get the shure-fire lights etc to work? All in all, it’s one I’d like to shoot some day, just never had the opportunity.

4,060 posted on 05/12/2013 7:41:25 AM PDT by osagebowman
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4059 | View Replies]

To: osagebowman
Wasn’t that rail non-standard, you needed an adaptor to get the shure-fire lights etc to work?

After doing some interwebz research, I've come up with pictures with "normal" rails, and "cutaway" rails, but no smooth dustcovers.

My guess is all the P220STs started with regular Glock-type rails, but after requests/complaints, started cutting some away, as shown here. To this day, all other models come in "R" and "non-R" models, referring to the rail. My guess they learned a lesson with the early P220STs, and now offer almost everything with or without a Glock-type rail. But both forms are factory-kosher.

4,061 posted on 05/12/2013 9:57:22 PM PDT by 300winmag (Whatever CAN go wrong has already happened. We just don't know about it yet.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4060 | View Replies]

To: 300winmag; g'nad; osagebowman; Wneighbor; PhilDragoo; Overtaxed; Corin Stormhands; Lil'freeper; ...
When FReeper offspring meet...

Tonight, we had dinner with the Hobbit Lass. Here she is with Bittygirl and Spiderboy. The three of them have grown some in the last 10 years. Longtime Hobbit Hole denizens may recall Hobbit Lass as Samwise's daughter.

photo HobbitLass01rez.jpg

4,062 posted on 05/21/2013 9:07:57 PM PDT by Professional Engineer (No one expects the Sephardic Invitation!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4061 | View Replies]

Glad to hear stuff is surfacing there... cuz there ain’t nuthin’ in this neck of the woods... my only score this month is a 1 lb can of Varget...

beauty scattergun, nice boxes...

4,063 posted on 05/21/2013 10:38:52 PM PDT by g'nad (guns don't kill people... I kill people...)

To: Professional Engineer

Bittygirl looks like she’s uptuh sumthin’...

4,064 posted on 05/21/2013 10:40:37 PM PDT by g'nad (guns don't kill people... I kill people...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4062 | View Replies]

To: osagebowman; g'nad; Ramius; Squantos; TalonDJ
This may not look like much, but it's the nucleus of a S&W M&P Pro in .45ACP. The store had three in stock last Monday, but after looking at them, I said "nice, but I have no interest". Now I have an interest, but no handguns.

Last Friday, I spotted this threaded barrel among other assorted parts in the accessories display case. It turns out to be for the S&W M&P .45. They also got their first spare magazines for that handgun. I immediately snapped the stuff up under the principle that "if I've never seen or heard of it before, I've got to grab it". So now I'm waiting for another M&P .45 to come in.

It shouldn't be too long a wait. They get a couple dozen assorted Smiths every week, with 90% gone within days, and the unsold ones refilling their inventory. But like a box of chocolates, one never knows what's in a shipment until it's opened. But it shouldn't be too long a wait, and I think spare mags and a threaded barrel will be harder to come by than the handgun itself. It's that way even with the magazines for the plain vanilla S&W .40 mags, too.

4,065 posted on 05/22/2013 1:30:36 AM PDT by 300winmag (Whatever CAN go wrong has already happened. We just don't know about it yet.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4060 | View Replies]

WOW, thanks for the blast from the past and present!!!

Regards

alfa6 ;>}

4,066 posted on 05/22/2013 2:30:29 AM PDT by alfa6

PE: Fine looking set of young ‘uns. Thanks for the visual update.

Sunrise, sunset, swiftly pass the years...

4,067 posted on 05/22/2013 4:23:56 AM PDT by osagebowman

To: g'nad; 300winmag

Yep, good stuff is still a mite thin on the ground. Did score a .38 caliber hollow-point bullet mould. Will be taking component scouting trip later in the week. Planning on pin-shootin’ trip to the range next week.

4,068 posted on 05/22/2013 4:30:48 AM PDT by osagebowman
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4063 | View Replies]

To: Professional Engineer; JenB
Nice! Speaking of Hobbit Hole kids, here is one holding a dragon.  photo 36C57E4D-E859-4820-B970-AE53EC9A02E3-2333-000001E7AB034152.jpg
4,069 posted on 05/22/2013 10:39:20 AM PDT by TalonDJ

To: TalonDJ; JenB

Holy Molly. More Hobbit kids.

4,070 posted on 05/22/2013 5:14:20 PM PDT by Professional Engineer (No one expects the Sephardic Invitation!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4069 | View Replies]

To: g'nad

She excels at being uptuh sumptin.

4,071 posted on 05/22/2013 5:15:32 PM PDT by Professional Engineer (No one expects the Sephardic Invitation!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4064 | View Replies]

To: 300winmag; osagebowman

handguns are tricklin’ in to my local gunshop... they got two S&W snubbies in last week... one Ultralite, the other was the standard... They were still there on Tuesday... had a friend score two cans of Varget, sold one to me...

4,072 posted on 05/22/2013 8:10:21 PM PDT by g'nad (guns don't kill people... I kill people...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4065 | View Replies]

SirKit and I went out shootin with #1 son and d-i-l, and her Dad a couple of weeks ago. It was the first time I'd ever fired a weapon, and we had some fun! I shot Dad-in-law's 22 rifle, which was fun, though I couldn't tell where my bullets landed. ;o). Then I fired Sarah's 22 long barrel pistol, which I enjoyed a LOT, and tried out her 45, which I didn't like at all! Kicked back and the jerk hurt my already painin me shoulder. ;o) I'd like to find an indoor range that gives electronic feedback about where the shots land.

So we're thinking of a handgun for me, and I'm leaning toward a 22, mostly because the ammo is less expensive, so we can plink a lot more with it. And though it may not have enough oomph to stop a intruder, it might be enough to slow them down enough for me to get away, or knock em down long enough for me to call the cops.

4,073 posted on 05/26/2013 6:20:11 PM PDT by SuziQ
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4072 | View Replies]

She’s just stinkin cute!

4,074 posted on 05/26/2013 6:21:02 PM PDT by SuziQ

To: SuziQ

The nice thing about a .22 is that even if one does not stop them it is easy top empty the whole gun into them. It is just so darn easy to handle.

There are a lot of good choices out there for a plinker. We have some Browning Buckmarks, a Walther P22 and a Sig Mosquito. I prefer the Buckmarks and the others are JenB’s

As with any handgun the way to pick is to hit a big store or a gunshow and paw a bunch of different ones. Ever you has different hands so try them until you find one that fits.

4,075 posted on 05/28/2013 1:44:57 PM PDT by TalonDJ
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4073 | View Replies]

So we're thinking of a handgun for me, and I'm leaning toward a 22, mostly because the ammo is less expensive, so we can plink a lot more with it.

.22 plinkers come in all kinds of sizes, price ranges, and qualities, so you have plenty of choices. Finding any rimfire ammo is vey hard right now, but things are loosening up as the war on the Second Amendment has been going our way, except for a few benighted states like CA, IL, CO, and CA.

As a defensive firearm, .22 Winchester Magnum (.22WMR) is getting new attention as a minimal, but practical, defensive round. Right now .22WMR is easier to find than .22lr. But for a concealable weapon, there isn't much choice except a quality revolver. There are plenty of full-size, but pricey .22WMR revolvers out there, but they're sized for hunting and plinking, and not concealment. Handguns like the Walther P22 or Ruger SR22 are cute plinkers, but I would not trust them in critical defensive situations because they are built like airsoft guns, by the same German companies that actually do make airsoft guns. The "guts" are a stack of steel flat sheets, cut out to eliminate as much machining as possible, and held together by screws.

In my search for a "real" minimal defensive gun, I felt that the Smith&Wesson 43c series was the only way to go. Built exactly like the super-lightweight centerfire snubbies, it weighs about 12 ounces loaded, and comes in both .22lr and .22WMR. I have one of each, and the lack of ammo capacity (8 rounds in .22lr, 7 in .22WMR) is more than compensated by size, reliability, and the ease of customizing it for the user.

Here's a comparison between my S&W Shield in .40S&W (a fairly major caliber), my S&W 43c in .22lr, and a "blue gun" simulator that is an accurate representation of a S&W J-frame, and a stand-in for tons of S&W little snubbies in .38 or .357 magnum (!).

I'm developing the Shield as an alternative to my current carry gun, the S&W BG38. For your purposes, the S&W 43c, as with other revolvers, have the benefit of a wide choice of aftermarket grips to fit to your exact preferences. While the .22WMR has very light recoil, almost anything is an improvement over the factory grips, which look like the skinny ones on the blue gun. Holding on to a lightweight, but high-recoil, weapon is critical. There is also a tendency to develop a horrendous flinch, or lose control of the gun completely, especially in a stressful situation.

You'll have none of those problems with the ,22WMR, but having grips that fit your preferences, and might also look nice, are a big plus. Be prepared to pay $50+ (depending on how fancy you want to go) for the grips you like. It's a critical factor in any defensive firearm, where you don't want to be distracted, even on the subconscious level, on the proper grip position, and whether it will help your accuracy and comfort.

I'm starting to work-up the Shield because it's about the same size, but considerably slimmer and flatter, than a revolver. That round cylinder is the fattest part of a small revolver. Also, the Shield is working out to be a very accurate and comfortable handgun in .40S&W, with none of the "snap" and recoil of other .40s I own. I'm trying to learn what brand of ammo the weapon and I both like.

And just as a casual FYI, here's one of those "cute" NAA five-shot micro revolvers in .22lr. I fired ten rounds at a range of six feet, and while most of them hit the paper somewhere, every single round was traveling sideways.

Plus it kept trying to fly out of my hand with each shot. Great for a cute novelty, but as a serious weapon, I'd estimate the effective rang of three feet, max.

4,076 posted on 05/31/2013 1:25:19 AM PDT by 300winmag (Whatever CAN go wrong has already happened. We just don't know about it yet.)

CZ P09, first one to arrive at the store in .40S&W. Range report tomorrow, I hope. However, CZ was kind enough to supply a computerized copy of the test target, complete with brand of ammo used. It would be even nicer if they could say whether this was shot from a rest, or not.

So I already know what the weapon can do, so everything else is up to me now.

And my break-in/tuning project for the S&W Shield is complete, with less than a box of ammo expended. A good shooter (the sales guy, who probably gets 50x the trigger time I get, because they shoot the demo guns after the store closes, and only pay their wholesale price), was able to get my Shield to do this

I also learned a few tips, so I expect to progress further and faster as I "audition" defensive ammo. And I have a baseline to compare my other .40s against. The guy did express amazement at the way I got the results from the gun. Two precision parts from Apex Engineering ($75 total), about $2 of Nanolube, and 25-30 of my time and effort. Their stock Shield in 9mm (I grabbed the first .40 that came in) is vey nice as is, he said, but my efforts produced something that he said equals or exceeds his $2500 Kimber Custom Shop carry piece. :)

4,077 posted on 06/02/2013 2:12:38 AM PDT by 300winmag (Whatever CAN go wrong has already happened. We just don't know about it yet.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4075 | View Replies]

To: 300winmag; g'nad; Squantos; Ramius

Morning Win-Mag..oh, that’s a helluva target, especially with fixed sight, mid size pocket/carry sidearm like the S&W Shield. Lower cost ammo and a plethora of weaponry to ‘test-fire’ appears to have stood your friend in good stead. Tip of the baseball cap to him.

I understand the nano-lube and your tlc process but what, pray tell, are the two ‘Apex’ parts you mention. Certainly appears to a worthwhile investment.

btw-Ive yet to shoot a Shield, the range doesn’t have one in the their rental stable yet. In the owner’s words, ‘can’t seem to hold onto one long enough to put it in the inventory. He’s still getting full retail for his, when he gets one.

My buddy was trying out his new sights, green rear and red front at the range last week. Sure popped the sight picture. His ohter one has just the front red. I may have to pop for a red front one to replace the white one. or not, only time will tell.

Got a three day shoot this next weekend. mmmm. the smell of blackpowder in the morning.
OB

4,078 posted on 06/02/2013 9:20:32 AM PDT by osagebowman
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4077 | View Replies]

I understand the nano-lube and your tlc process but what, pray tell, are the two ‘Apex’ parts you mention.

It's the sear, and the striker block, which is the little "mushroom button" in the slide that a part of the trigger bar must slide over, and push in, to unlock the firing pin. The smoother the button works, the less friction, and force needed, to get the trigger to that point.

It's a common tweak for any Glock-type striker-fired pistol, because it also removes a lot of grittiness in the initial takeup. For the Shield, it's a weightless takeup, followed by a slight "stop" that tells you the firing mechanism is now in contact.

The sear contributes to the 6 pound, 5 ounce final trigger pull, which seems far lighter due to its crispness and consistency. It already has a round-to-round variation of only about one ounce, which amazed me, and the sales guy with the $2500 trigger. In fact, he took my unloaded weapon and insisted everybody else on his side of counter to try it. They all knew what a stock S&W Shield could do, but found what $75 of parts, and some focused effort could do to an already nice $500 handgun.

I have to admit, the consistency of trigger pull right after the new parts were installed left me stuned, too.

4,079 posted on 06/02/2013 11:40:23 AM PDT by 300winmag (Whatever CAN go wrong has already happened. We just don't know about it yet.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4078 | View Replies]

To: osagebowman; 300winmag

Me thinks its apex tactical maybe.....

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid65.html

Yes / No ?

Good read as usual !

Stay safe ya’ll !

4,080 posted on 06/02/2013 9:56:39 PM PDT by Squantos ( Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet ...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4078 | View Replies]

To: Squantos; osagebowman
Me thinks its apex tactical maybe.....

No "maybe" about it, I won't own a S&W M&P without one, after seeing those results. Actually, the guy said he shocked himself with the results. Even the guys behind the counter that carry M&Ps may have heard about Apex Tactical (I keep forgetting everything after "Apex"), but nobody has seen the results, until now.

I've also learned store/customer loyalty pays dividends for both parties. I get a personal alert about "interesting" items before they hit the shelves (that's how I got their first CZ P09 in .40), a couple free boxes of ammo with a major purchase, and lifetime free range time, space available. Of course, that's all "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" from the owner's son, with dad's permission.

He, in turn, confessed that the entire gang has been slobbering over the remaining P09, but it can't be fired, and added to their stock of rental weapons, until they get another one for sale. So tomorrow, while I'm auditioning some .40S&W defensive ammo, he gets to try out my P09 to his heart's content, ammo on the house, until I'm done with the Shield and FNX-40 and try out my CZ.

Nothing like free, or low-cost testing to establish a performance baseline to use in determining whether further tweaking is needed or not. And I've come to the conclusion that rather than agonize over grips comfortable enough for a hundred rounds on the range, I'll buy some good Wiley-X shooting gloves.

I know I'm good-to-go for the first half-dozen mag-loads in the Shield, so I'm not going to sweat any comfort-related problems on the street. I just need my customary 200 rounds of ball ammo for mechanical confidence, and find a defense load it likes. On the range, good shooting gloves will solve a lot of naggling problems, too.

Figuring out how to afford ammo, despite my price-hunting skills, in another matter. :(

4,081 posted on 06/02/2013 10:49:28 PM PDT by 300winmag (Whatever CAN go wrong has already happened. We just don't know about it yet.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4080 | View Replies]

To: 300winmag; Squantos; g'nad

Morning - Squantos, thanks for posting the link; if I get a Shield, that’s one part set I would definitely get.

Win-Mag, scrounging for ammo is almost as much fun as scrounging for components. Except for .22s, 90 percent of my shooting is with reloaded ammo. Unique is my go-to smokeless powder. Goex XXX is my go-to black powder.

4,082 posted on 06/03/2013 7:36:46 AM PDT by osagebowman
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4081 | View Replies]

Can ya still find “Elephant” black powder ?

Here maybe ?

https://www.schuetzenpowder.com/

Stay safe Buddy !

4,083 posted on 06/03/2013 5:51:44 PM PDT by Squantos ( Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet ...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4082 | View Replies]

.22 is not unusual for a defense gun... low recoil, accurate, and you should always shoot until you hear a “click”...

I was gonna recommend .22 WMR , but I see winmag beat me to it...

4,084 posted on 06/04/2013 6:32:30 AM PDT by g'nad (guns don't kill people... I kill people...)

To: 300winmag; Ramius; g'nad; osagebowman; Squantos; Corin Stormhands; JenB; TalonDJ; ExGeeEye

I’m reaaaaally pleased with my XDS right now... pleasure to shoot, accurate, (I shot 2 mags at 18” steel plate at 50 yds and hit every time)... I just used NanLube at all the critical points...

4,085 posted on 06/04/2013 6:40:44 AM PDT by g'nad (guns don't kill people... I kill people...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4077 | View Replies]

We need one of those. Can’t have too many XD variants. I just got a new carry purse that lets me carry my XD9 subcompact and ditch the piece of crap Kahr I was carrying.

4,086 posted on 06/04/2013 6:53:12 AM PDT by JenB
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4085 | View Replies]

:D Nice to hear. The XDS is on top of my ‘buy list’... has been for a while though. Need to pay a couple bills first. I keep telling Jen she might like the 45 version but she wants to wait for the 9mm that is supposedly due out soon.

4,087 posted on 06/04/2013 8:12:04 AM PDT by TalonDJ

To: g'nad; osagebowman; Squantos; TalonDJ; JenB
I just used NanLube at all the critical points...

Glad to hear about another satisfied Nanolube customer. I estimate my successful projects depend on Nanolube for about 50% of that success.

Speaking of success, I'm already testing defensive ammo in the M&P Shield while putting another 100 rounds of ball for break-in. Out of three different brands tested so far, the Glaser Pow'RBall in .40S&W has performed the best by far in vey limited ($32/20 limits a lot of testing) study. But it produced the best results of the three different brands, along with being an absolute creampuff to shoot in this small a handgun.

I have also discovered that placement of my trigger finger has a major influence on accuracy. In three-out-of-three different handguns, I got much better results with the fingertip joint on the trigger, rather than the pad of the fingertip. YMMV, and I don't think this may apply to rifles.

And the CZ P09 has already proven itself right out of the box, and will be fed a diet of dog-and-cat ammo, along with testing the remaining defensive ammo left over from the Shield tests. Not bad for the first mag, out of the box, but with a quick Nanolube treatment.

After about the first six rounds, I was disappointed because I thought I was missing the target completely. I brought the target back, and saw they were all in the black. Then I remembered that all my CZs do that. So I went back to shooting, testing out trigger pull, shooting comfort, etc.

Basically, everything was flawless. 7.5 lb long trigger pull, 3.5 lb short pull, and it will probably go down a bit more with break-in. Short, audible and tactile trigger reset, this gun makes double-taps a no-brainer. Comfortable grip, especially with the smallest backstrap insert. Felt recoil was definitely less than some 9mms I own. Overall, equal or better performance than some quality handguns costing $300-400 more.

If you don't mind an ugly weapon, but one that is more comfortable to shoot than a lot of 9mm brands out there, and carries 16 rounds in the magazine, this is definitely a "best buy".

4,088 posted on 06/05/2013 12:46:59 AM PDT by 300winmag (Whatever CAN go wrong has already happened. We just don't know about it yet.)

Interesting bit about the finger placement. I noticed something similar when I shot a friends M&P a while ago. He was having trouble staying on the paper. I think we actually pinned it down to massive over travel in the trigger. I had similar problems with that gun to. I think shifting his finger position helped. Also I did a little work on the trigger and (if I remember right) cut the over travel to almost nothing. It was a real sweet shooter after that thought it had excessive pretravel.

I keep meaning to get some nanolube haven’t yet.

4,089 posted on 06/05/2013 5:25:50 AM PDT by TalonDJ
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4088 | View Replies]

To: Squantos; 300winmag; g'nad

“Elephant Powder” Nope, haven’t seen it in a good long while. Most folks at the range use Goex, and a few use Swiss. That’s a fairly limited sample size though.

4,090 posted on 06/05/2013 7:58:21 PM PDT by osagebowman
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4083 | View Replies]

That is one darlin little hobbit girl you have there. I’m mighty partial to those red-headed kids and that one is as pretty as her mama.

4,091 posted on 06/11/2013 6:35:00 AM PDT by Wneighbor (zombies don't bleed or they seem to bleed pink?)

Hello! Glad to hear you enjoyed your shooting. My first home protection handgun was a .22 revolver. My daddy gave it to me when I moved off to Austin. Population about 200K at that time. Huge city. LOL. Instructions were “shoot to kill and unload in the SOB or I’ll make you wish you had.”

By the time I got my CCL I was carrying a .357 and keeping the .22 handy still. My CCL instructor was a retired Houston SWAT officer who described many occasions when he arrived at scenes of folks who “got dead from those .22 caliber bullets.” He worked hard to dispell what he called “the myth” that a .22 wouldn’t kill with many of his personal experiences.

That said, a couple of the range safety guys over there have been awesome about sharing knowledge and allowing me to fire dozens of different handguns. I became really fond of a Bersa .380. It wasn’t a caliber I particularly wanted or a brand I thought about but its a perfect fit for me. Also its a little smaller and lighter weight in the purse. I say this not to advocate you get a .380 but to emphasize that finding the perfect fit is the key. Like perfectly comfy clothing. Try them on till you know its you, then use it a lot to break it in perfectly and you are good to go.

4,092 posted on 06/11/2013 7:00:48 AM PDT by Wneighbor (zombies don't bleed or they seem to bleed pink?)

Sorry for the long-delayed publishing of another entry in Saturday Night Gun Pron. A lot has been happening, and I'm only now slowly getting back to my reports. For now, a quick update on my Smith&Wesson "family".

From the upper left, the M&P in .45ACP, with both standard and threaded barrels, and extended magazine. Next to it is the one that hooked me on M&Ps and Aprex Tactical performance parts, the M&P in .357SiG, with a Storm Lake barrel in .40S&W, giving me a common defense caliber while enjoying all the under-appreciated benefits of .357.

The bottom row consists of the S&W Shield in .40S&W (I can always hope someone will make a .357 barrel for it), and the M&P .22, just because it's a close fit style-wise with the two "grown-up" guns.

I took the box-stock .45 out to see how it works before all the tweaks are applied. Like the other factory-stock M&Ps, it gives good value for the money, but does not set the world on fire as a race-tuned competition gun. I didn't do badly, but things were stiff and gritty enough to remind me that the efforts I put into the other two centerfires were well worth it.

I even bought a special sight-removal too for the M&P series. With four handguns in the series (I must not be tempted by the "compact" versions), it seemed only sensible to get that special tool. I had varying degrees of holy hell removing and replacing the rear sights so I could replace the firing pin block with the precision version from Apex Tactical. The button controls the length and smoothness of the trigger take-up, with the precision of the sear the final element in firing.

I was prepared for all-out war this time with the special sight pusher. I had run Nanolube through it to remove every bit of internal resistance on the precision screw threads, so all mechanical work could go to moving the sight.

I even had a "cheater bar" ready to apply unauthorized extra torque, as I've had to do so many other times on so many other weapons.

I spun the screw with my finger, like dialing a rotary phone, until the pusher touched the sight. Then I twirled it some more with just finger pressure. Then twirled it some more with no effort until the sight was 90% removed. The last little bit required two fingers. I just about fainted in relief and surprise.

I studied the dovetail and sight surfaces, and they were both slippery and nearly perfectly-machined. Why can't this be done for any $500 handgun? I could loosen the setscrew, and make minor rear sight adjustments just with thumb pressure.

I'm not asking for miracles, but perhaps St Barbara kept an eye on this one as it went down the assembly line. I may have to put up a formal shrine to her in the basement. :)

So with this first modification, the standard trigger now has a 2-pound "weightless" silky take-up, followed by the standard 5-pound sear disengagement. This is to be expected, since the trigger and sear are next on my to-do list. But it was sure nice to have a pleasant surprise for once.

4,093 posted on 07/28/2013 1:20:52 AM PDT by 300winmag (Whatever CAN go wrong has already happened. We just don't know about it yet.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4092 | View Replies]

Good read as usual .... Haven’t even touched a SW auto in decades. Last one I was issued was a 469 . Carried the SW469 all over the DC area, very comfortable and was reliable. Familiarization was twice a week at the Springfield VA annex range and loved that little 9. Now I have an ASP in the safe yet it sees daylight rarely these days.

As for carry guns I have gone Gault with Glocks. I can shoot them well, they are reliable unless ya start adding aftermarket crap etc .... A stock, out of the box Glock 31 is my choice of carry for self defense. It has the tenifer finish, it is dehorned, it is just combat Tupperware IMO . When paired with Speer Gold Dot Hollow Points at 125gr’s its as close as I can get to the old tried and true SW Model 19 or the smaller FBI issue SW Mod 13 for 357 magnum stopping power for personal defense in a semi auto.

I shoot IDPA and 3 gun with the Glock 31 twice a month and run 50 rounds a week at our range thru it on paper silhouette .

I have a Glock 35 I converted to 357sig with a KKM aftermarket barrel and spring and use it as well for IDPA and 3 gun with a X400 surefire rail light as an experiment in progress. Sticking with a out of the box Glock 31 as my carry gun for now till I am SURE the Glock 35 has no bugs. My shakedown in progress per se...:o)

Hope yer well and your summer is easy Sir !

Stay safe !

4,094 posted on 07/28/2013 6:31:30 AM PDT by Squantos ( Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet ...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4093 | View Replies]

To: Wneighbor
Hey girl!! How the heck are you? Thanks for that info! We're gonna try out several before we make any decisions.

That's on hold right now because SirKit had a mild heart attack last week, and is in the hospital awaiting bypass surgery. He was worried about the 'pump-head' syndrome he'd read about, from the use of the heart-lunch machine during the surgery, which could take the edge off some functions of the brain, because his life's work is mathematics at a very high level. But we talked to the surgeon, and Doc said they could do the surgery without having to use the heart-lung machine; what a fascinating modern age we live in! So we're both at peace about the surgery, because we know it's gonna fix the problem. He'll probably meet with the surgical team tomorrow, and we'll go from there.

Please keep him in your prayers!

4,095 posted on 07/28/2013 8:52:09 AM PDT by SuziQ
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4092 | View Replies]

To: 300winmag; g'nad; Squantos

Evening Win-Mag, welcome back, you’ve been missed, cutting edge & insightful narratives with film at 11.

Spent an enjoyable weekend at the MVACA KC Arms Show. No beef jerky at this show. Good stuff on every table. Many droolable items, cased Smiths, attributed Colts, Engish doubles and German Drillings to hit a few high spots.

Good news for Bass Pro in Springfield and the NRA Firearms Museum. Jim Supica with the NRA Firearms Museum has been setting up another facility at Bass Pro in Springfield MO. Grand opening this coming Friday. Me thinks a road trip is in the not-to-distant future.

4,096 posted on 07/28/2013 8:37:15 PM PDT by osagebowman
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4093 | View Replies]

Spent an enjoyable weekend at the MVACA KC Arms Show. No beef jerky at this show. Good stuff on every table. Many droolable items, cased Smiths, attributed Colts, Engish doubles and German Drillings to hit a few high spots.

Sounds like a great show. Michigan has always been too cheap for a show like that, and is now too poor, too. :)

4,097 posted on 07/30/2013 12:47:10 AM PDT by 300winmag (Whatever CAN go wrong has already happened. We just don't know about it yet.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4096 | View Replies]

Sorry for the belated weekend issue of Saturday Night Gun Pron, but I guess the sequester hit it too, :)

Just some quick results from the first fire of the S&W M&P45 after (almost) all the Apex Tactical parts were installed, and all proper magical procedures invoked. I also shot my Gen1 Glock 21 as a control, and because I have new plans for it in the near future.

Both handguns started out box-stock at about the same price. Both performed adequately, and rpovide good value for the money. I spent $250 on a Bar-Sto target barrel for the Glock, because the stock barrel was rather notorious for its poorly-supported chamber. It also shrunk group size by about 25%, nothing to sneeze at.

The money spent on the S&W, plus my own blood, sweat, and Nanoloube, changed it from a Chevy Cruze to a Corvette Z01. The Glock went from a Ford Escape to an Escape with a bigger engine. The trigger pull on the S&W went from a sane, sensible, dull, gritty 7 pounds to high-performance 4 pounds, 14 ounces (so far), with about four pounds of long-but-near-weightless takeup, and a barely-detectable sear letoff of under one pound.

YMMV, but for me, these Apex-equipped M&Ps are like building an F-16 from a parts kit. If I hadn't done all the work myself, I'd probably be afraid of the weapon if someone just handed it to me. But three-of-three successful projects have me so "sold" on the process that I'm fighting the temptation to buy an utterly redundant M&P compact or 9mm just to do it all over again.

And to think this all started from buying a plain vanilla M&P .357SiG that had sat on a shelf for four years before I bought it on a whim. So now I know how to build a "pet" AR15 and a "pet" S&W M&P that perform insanely well, with several successful examples of both already completed.

4,098 posted on 08/12/2013 3:00:59 AM PDT by 300winmag (Whatever CAN go wrong has already happened. We just don't know about it yet.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4096 | View Replies]

g’morning!
Lately I have been messing with my new XDs45. I wanted to love the gun but it was jamming like anything. I checked the scuttlebutt on the forums and tried nanolube and replacement mag springs. It got worse. What had been a few FTRB and a few FTF turned into FTF all the time. Bad ones too, where the round was really jammed in there. I decided perhaps stronger mag springs were actually making things worse and I swapped them back. The next range trip the owner of the shop/range offered to give it a try if it was still jamming. It was, even with more nanolube and the old springs back in. I let him give it a go... and it worked perfectly. Now I would have sworn on a stack of Bibles that no way no how was I ‘limp-wristing’ it. But he put 4 mags through it with no problems. User error is user error even if I don’t want to admit it. Especially since I was shooting tiny little groups, 5 mags in one big hole at 20 feet. And the other two compact guns were happy as a clam. And darn it I am a good shoot and a trained pistol instructor... My pride was smarting but I listened and learned. He gave me some stance points involving leaning forward and sticking your butt out more. seemed dumb but it worked. But the stance is not what worked. it just caused what worked. I figured out that I just was not gripping well enough with my last two fingers. Even with a solid two hand grip, somehow just a little weakness in that area was causing too much flip. I realize now that ‘limp wrist’ is a very deceptive term. There was nothing wrong with my writs, or even the AVERAGE strength of my grip. But the lower two fingers were not as tight as they could be. My theory is that shooting tiny guns like my LCP made me stop paying attention to my pinky.
I tightened things up. My groups got bigger, need to practice the new grip, but the jams vanished. Now I just need to take this thing to the range often enough that I am confident I can shoot it reliably EVERY time.

It was certainly a humbling reminder that you always have something more to learn.

4,099 posted on 08/12/2013 6:18:21 AM PDT by TalonDJ
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4098 | View Replies]

To: TalonDJ

I’m glad that I like my Model 36. LOL

4,100 posted on 08/12/2013 8:21:52 AM PDT by B4Ranch (AGENDA: Grinding America Down ----- http://vimeo.com/63749370)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4099 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-50 ... 4,001-4,0504,051-4,1004,101-4,150 ... 4,301-4,311 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson