Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: Squantos; osagebowman; g'nad; Ramius; ExGeeEye; JenB; TalonDJ
Well, I have a set of Ahrend's cocobolo grips on the new22. Luck of the draw, they're still better than the factory rubber ones. I would have liked them in a bit lighter shade, but that's the luck of the draw.

OTOH, the original rubber grips did not go quietly. For the simple loosening of a screw, it put up a hugh fight.The screw was loaded with Loctite Red, and torqued down with an impact wrench. I rounded the edges on three new Allen wrenches before the screw head itself was rounded.

I tried wrenches one-size-up, metric, and even a closely-matching Torqx wrench (all valid, but desperate measures). Nothing moved, except for me putting in a couple twists in the shaft of one hex wrench.

Now I was miffed, so I decided to use a pilot drill to cut through the screw head so I could separate the two halves. It looked like I was making progress, but had a long ways to go. With a nicely-centered pilot hold, I went with a regular drill that should have been enough to cut through the head. Got a bigger, more lop-sided hole, with half the head still intact.

I ratcheted-up the destruction another level, trying to see what I was up against. I don't know what Uncle Mike's (the OEM vendor of the grips) uses for rubber, but it was like trying to skin a rhino with a TSA-approved Swiss-army knife. Finally, I hacked enough away to see what I was up against, and then cut away enough material to grab the remaining part of the screw head (which I now saw as my salvation), and started to removed the screw a fraction of a turn at a time with needle-nose pliers. Here's the fruits of my victory over some $2 grips:

It was now 6AM, and after spending a minute putting the new grips on, I decided to declare victory, and go to bed. I have disassembled, tuned, Nano-lubed, and reassembled whole weapons with less time and effort than that. A pox on whoever decided to use that much red Loctite on those crappy grips. But at least I'll cherish even more the long and loving relationship with my new baby S&W. :)

4,004 posted on 03/14/2013 2:09:20 AM PDT by 300winmag (Overkill Never Fails)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4002 | View Replies ]

To: 300winmag

Morning Win Mag - now that’s a stubborn screw..I wonder what the former owner was thinking..red lock-tite on a grip screw?. Kudos for your stick-to-itness on the project.

Found more brass,.processing commencing..guess I’ve grabbed up more brass from the range floor than I thought..Ah well, can’t have too much brass.

4,005 posted on 03/14/2013 9:37:06 AM PDT by osagebowman
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4004 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson