Skip to comments.US First Lady 'slave roots' found
Posted on 10/08/2009 3:58:21 PM PDT by Daffynition
Research into the family of US First Lady Michelle Obama has revealed that her great-great-great-grandmother was a slave given away at the age of six.
According to genealogist Megan Smolenyak, the girl was described in papers only as "negro girl Melvinia".
In her early teens, working as a slave on a farm in Georgia, she was made pregnant by an unknown white man.
The son she gave birth to around the year 1859, Dolphus, was Michelle's great-great grandfather.
Megan Smolenyak, whose discoveries have been detailed in the New York Times newspaper, said she was not surprised by what she discovered.
"But the fact that just 15 years after the death of Dolphus, one of his descendants was born who would end up in the White House, that is startling," she said.
The circumstances of Melvinia's first pregnancy are unclear, according to Ms Smolenyak. On the 1870 census, she is listed as having three mixed-race children, one born four years after emancipation.
When you research a family, some call more loudly than others - it's like they want to be found Megan Smolenyak
"If you do African-American research that is not surprising at all - a lot of people don't appreciate how intermingled we are," Ms Smolenyak said.
According to her 1938 death certificate, the identity of Melvinia's parents was "unknown".
The White House has yet to comment on the research but Ms Smolenyak said she hoped the details of great-great grandparents Michelle Obama had perhaps not even heard of would "resonate".
(Excerpt) Read more at news.bbc.co.uk ...
It certainly looks that way.
And she’s a victim to this day.Sad.....and nauseating.
I heard a short quip about her daddy's lap recently.Did I hear correctly that she said that she was sitting on her daddy's lap when Carl Lewis won a Gold Medal...and that she was 20 when that happened? Is that correct?
If so,that's her "I was named after Sir Edmund Hillary" moment.
Cool! Let’s do Obama’s roots now!
They sure as hell have not worked a day in their lives. These people are takers... sucking off everyone else out there.
I’ll vote for you when you run. :’)
Among my European ancestors, I can think of one sold into indentured servitude (by her own father, no less) as a teenager, and on the other side of the family, one of my multi-great-uncles paid for his passage to the New World (and was allowed to go at all, he was in his teens) via an indenture to his brother (another m-g-uncle). As far as actual slavery, the next closest thing in the family tree would be living under feudal lords in the Middle Ages; don’t know much about any of ‘em past about 500 years back. But odds are good that literally everyone is descended from some enslaved ancestor of some era in some place or other.
If GOD is just, a price will be paid.
Meanwhile the communists in charge plot to steal everything not nailed down and the GOP Chair is "listening"
Have they found the source of the bad fashion gene?
Well, it doesn’t come from my side of the family. ;)
Wonder what the book would be on history revealing Hussein’s ancestors were the ones who actually sold Michelle’s ancestors into slavery?
You got it! That was exACTly my point...we are ALL descended from people who were slaves at some point.
Good, now doesn’t she have to go iron her hair or something?
Maybe some more ice cream or Big Macs to add some more ballast
to her keister she sits around on all day?
That’s where I was going. That and the fact that he was born in Kenya.
I file this under No Sh!t Sherlock file. BBC really on top of their game with this breaking story. Next breaking news: United States was once a colony of England.
THE FIRST LADY'S SERVANT LIST-no wonder they are in trouble!!!
Feast your eyes on this First Lady Requires More Than Twenty Attendants July 7, 2009 by Dr. Paul L. Williams
"In my own life, in my own small way, I have tried to give back to this country that has given me so much," she said. "See, that's why I left a job at a big law firm for a career in public service, " Michelle Obama
NO, Michele Obama does not get paid to serve as the First Lady and she doesn't perform any official duties. But this hasn't deterred her from hiring an unprecedented number of staffers to cater to her every whim and to satisfy her every request in the midst of the Great Recession. Just think Mary Lincoln was taken to task for purchasing china for the White House during the Civil War. And Mamie Eisenhower had to shell out the salary for her personal secretary.
How things have changed! If you're one of the tens of millions of Americans facing certain destitution, earning less than subsistence wages stocking the shelves at Wal-Mart or serving up McDonald cheeseburgers, prepare to scream and then come to realize that the benefit package for these servants of Miz Michelle are the same as members of the national security and defense departments and the bill for these assorted lackeys is paid by John Q. Public:
1. $172,2000 - Sher, Susan (Chief Of Staff)
2. $140,000 - Frye, Jocelyn C. (Deputy Assistant to the President and Director of Policy And Projects For The First Lady)
3. $113,000 - Rogers, Desiree G. (Special Assistant to the President and White House Social Secretary)
4. $102,000 - Johnston, Camille Y. (Special Assistant to the President and Director of Communications for the First Lady)
5. $100,000 - Winter, Melissa E. (Special Assistant to the President and Deputy Chief Of Staff to the First Lady)
6. $90,000 - Medina , David S. (Deputy Chief Of Staff to the First Lady)
7. $84,000 - Lelyveld, Catherine M. (Director and Press Secretary to the First Lady)
8. $75,000 - Starkey, Frances M. (Director of Scheduling and Advance for the First Lady)
9. $70,000 - Sanders, Trooper (Deputy Director of Policy and Projects for the First Lady)
10. $65,000 - Burnough, Erinn J. (Deputy Director and Deputy Social Secretary)
11. $64,000 - Reinstein, Joseph B. (Deputy Director and Deputy Social Secretary)
12. $62,000 - Goodman, Jennifer R. (Deputy Director of Scheduling and Events Coordinator For The First Lady)
13. $60,000 - Fitts, Alan O. (Deputy Director of Advance and Trip Director for the First Lady)
14. $57,500 - Lewis, Dana M. (Special Assistant and Personal Aide to the First Lady)
15. $52,500 - Mustaphi, Semonti M. (Associate Director and Deputy Press Secretary To The First Lady)
16. $50,000 - Jarvis, Kristen E. (Special Assistant for Scheduling and Traveling Aide To The First Lady)
17. $45,000 - Lechtenberg, Tyler A. (Associate Director of Correspondence For The First Lady)
18. $43,000 - Tubman, Samantha (Deputy Associate Director, Social Office)
19. $40,000 - Boswell, Joseph J. (Executive Assistant to the Chief Of Staff to the First Lady)
20. $36,000 - Armbruster, Sally M. (Staff Assistant to the Social Secretary)
21. $35,000 - Bookey, Natalie (Staff Assistant)
22. $35,000 - Jackson, Deilia A. (Deputy Associate Director of Correspondence for the First Lady)
There has NEVER been anyone in the White House at any time who has created such an army of staffers whose sole duties are the facilitation of the First Lady's social life. One wonders why she needs so much help, at taxpayer expense, when even Hillary only had three; Jackie Kennedy one; Laura Bush one, and prior to Mamie Eisenhower social help came from the President's own pocket.
Note 1: This does not include makeup artist Ingrid Grimes-Miles, 49, and "First Hairstylist" Johnny Wright, 31, both of whom traveled aboard Air Force One to Europe.
Note 2: The missing position is The First Lady's Personal Fitness Trainer, probably $100,000 for someone responsible to rid her of that giant butt.
Yes, I know, The Canadian Free Press has to publish this because the USA media is too scared they might be considered racist. Sorry America!
Copyright 2009 Canada Free Press.Com
1. McBride, Anita B $172,200 Assistant to the President and Chief of Staff to the First Lady
2. Medina, Sonya E $147,500 Deputy Assistant to the President for Domestic Policy and Director of Projects for the First Lady
3. Zantzinger, Amy S $113,000 Special Assistant to the President and White House Social Secretary
4. Armstrong, Sara W $102,000 Special Assistant to the President and Deputy Chief of Staff to the First Lady
5. Niemiec, Sally M $102,000 Special Assistant to the President and Director of Communications and Press Secretary to the First Lady
6. Miller, Sonja Maria $88,500 Deputy Chief of Staff to the First Lady
7. Ballard, Deanna M $78,400 Director of Scheduling for the First Lady
8. McArthur, Nikki L $63,000 Speech Writer for the First Lady
9. Knutson, Lindsey L $62,700 Special Assistant and Personal Aide to the First Lady
10. Marshall, Misty C $62,400 Director of Correspondence for the First Lady
11. Adams, Julie E $57,500 Deputy Press Secretary to the First Lady
12. Mende, Kirstin M $53,000 Deputy Director of Policy and Projects for the First Lady
13. Etter, Marisa Leigh $52,200 Deputy Director of Scheduling for the First Lady
14. King, Kristin N $52,200 Deputy Director of Advance for the First Lady
15. Thornton, Dorothy M $52,200 Deputy Social Secretary
16. Segura, Millicent $47,000 Deputy Director of Correspondence for the First Lady
17. Miller, Kasdin E $43,000 Assistant Press Secretary to the First Lady
18. O'Connor, Erin M $41,800 Executive Assistant to the Chief of Staff to the First Lady
In addition, there are nine "executive assistants", three "assistant staff secretaries", and thirty-five "staff assistants" lower on the pay list than Ms. O'Connor, so there may be another one-three unattributed positions similar to the last few on the CFP list. Just to be fair, here...
19. Doty, Joan R $43,900 Senior Writer
Thanks for the CNN fact check. It pays to reason that this stuff is heavily tilted, in both directions. Cheers!
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.