Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Seriously considering buying a Dell XPS & would like to hear from Dell owners ( Vanity )

Posted on 10/31/2009 5:03:19 PM PDT by sushiman

For a variety of reasons I've given up on the switch to Apple and am now considering buying a Dell here in Japan . Never owned any Dell products . If one Google searches one can find a _______( fill in co. name of choice ) SUCKS blogs for every computer company in existence inc. Apple . : ) Need some good advice re: next purchase . I am not a techie nor am I a gamer . Use the computer for basic stuff . The XPS I'm thinking of getting would come with the Intel i5 2.66mhz 8MB ; 6 GB of RAM ; 500 HDD ; 21.5 monitor and NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240 1024MB . Would you advise getting Dell Care for 3 years ? Any advice appreciated .

TOPICS: Computers/Internet
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-100101-124 next last
To: XenaLee

My old Dell laptop was warranty repaired in Tennessee. Dell sent DHS with the packing box, driver packed the laptop in it and took it with him. I had it back in several days. I think the only thing that wasn’t new on it was my hard drive.

It is still chugging along for my son and I bought it in 2002. I did buy the 3 year special care warranty, which came in very handy (keyboard and speakers stopped working).

51 posted on 10/31/2009 5:39:48 PM PDT by Abby4116
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 49 | View Replies]

To: Spacetrucker
I've had my Dell Inspiron 1525 for about a year and a half. It's done great. The dog threw up on the keyboard and they replaced it free of charge.

My only complaint is that I cannot get the volume loud enough.

52 posted on 10/31/2009 5:41:04 PM PDT by Conservativegreatgrandma (Al Franken--the face of the third-party voters)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

To: sushiman
The last computer I bought was an XPS M1530. (It cost $1,750 18 months ago).

So far, it's been a total disaster.

The hard drive has been replaced THREE times (and it's still noisy), the mother board was replaced three weeks ago, the APC adapter died out of the blue two weeks ago, the audio is horrible (even with an external sound card), and now the system is blue screening....

I worked at Dell for six years in marketing and I have great respect for the company. Micheal Dell is also a republican which is really great.

However, I will NEVER buy another Dell again.

I bought an HP last week with windows 7, 6MB of memory, a 7200 RPM hard drive, and a Intel Duo Core 2.4 processor. It puts the Dell XPS to absolute shame.

Some advice if you do go with the Dell ---

Best time to buy is Black Friday (by far the best deals of the year)

Dell outlet pricing is NOT very good. You might save $20-$100 bucks over a similar config, but it is NOT worth it to buy a returned system.

Be sure to get windows 7 -- it rocks! Be SURE to get the 64 bit OS -- the 32 bit OS can only handle up to 3mb of memory!!!

The AUDIO on XPS sytems are NOT very good. Be sure to get an external sound card to compensate. (Sound on my HP without an external card is fantastic BTW.

For your uses, you probably do not need 6mb of memory. For basic word processing and Internet you can easily get by with 2.1 ghz processor and 4gb of memory. Take the savings and apply to the extended warranty!

good luck!

53 posted on 10/31/2009 5:41:49 PM PDT by kara2008
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

For affordability and quality I would buy:

ASUS Laptop

If I were to buy a desktop.. I would try to also get an Asus or for a little more money Alienware...

But for cheap and easy.... I can't recommend Dell or the others... thought the GPX Dell seems pretty good for colleges.

54 posted on 10/31/2009 5:43:42 PM PDT by Porterville ( I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum)

My current employer and my previous employer are both “all Dell” shops. In both places, the Dells just run and run and run.

55 posted on 10/31/2009 5:44:31 PM PDT by Redcloak ("Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.)

To: kara2008

“6MB of memory, a 7200 RPM hard drive, and a Intel Duo Core 2.4 processor”

There’s you problem - no memory!

56 posted on 10/31/2009 5:45:22 PM PDT by JoeProBono (A closed mouth gathers no feet)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 53 | View Replies]

To: Porterville

I wasn’t aware Alienware was high-end Dell?

57 posted on 10/31/2009 5:46:08 PM PDT by Porterville ( I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 54 | View Replies]

To: 1rudeboy

Not sure if this is what you want but if you pick Home and then Laptop / Notebooks there is a “Narrow your laptop selection” on left-hand side and at bottom it has a box to compare all laptops. I’d try that

58 posted on 10/31/2009 5:46:16 PM PDT by plain talk
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 40 | View Replies]

To: plain talk

Thanks, I will.

59 posted on 10/31/2009 5:48:06 PM PDT by 1rudeboy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 58 | View Replies]

To: JoeProBono
LOL - nice typos --- 4GB of memory --- GB GB GB!
60 posted on 10/31/2009 5:48:10 PM PDT by kara2008
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 56 | View Replies]

To: kara2008

LOL!!

Hate to say it but you seem to have overpaid for that machine.

I’ve never been wronged by a Dell at much less than half the price.

61 posted on 10/31/2009 5:52:32 PM PDT by JoeProBono (A closed mouth gathers no feet)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 60 | View Replies]

I have a Dell XPS 730 with Quad core, 8GB and Vista x64. Absolute powerhouse for video and graphics. Chassis and internal features are amazing. Not a single crash in the 11 months of ownership. Love it.

62 posted on 10/31/2009 5:55:02 PM PDT by montag813 (During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. -George Orwell)

Dell vostro =superb...

63 posted on 10/31/2009 5:55:21 PM PDT by x_plus_one (In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Kirkwood

That is why I like the Dell Vostro. It has none of the junk software.

64 posted on 10/31/2009 5:57:12 PM PDT by Orange1998
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

To: The Citizen Soldier; Jeff Head

I bet he spent several hours cleaning it up prior to pic. :)

65 posted on 10/31/2009 5:59:51 PM PDT by Orange1998
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 41 | View Replies]

I am still using a Dell I bought 9 years ago...I called up Dell and told them what I wanted and they fixed me up fine..

I told them I wanted a computer that could do A B & C

Being new at computers at the time, their tech support was great, Had a problem with it before the year was up and sent them the part.(don't remember what it was) and they sent me a new part and talked me thorough putting it in..I think it was a modem...(had to be carefull about static electricity when I reinserted it...They sent me a pre-paid postage envelope to send them back the old part...

Don't know how they are now, but did right by me years ago.. At the time the whole ball of wax cost 1600 dollars, computer, keyboard, monitor and printer and 2 speakers.

I did have to get a new monitor about 3 years ago...(Free, my daughter gave me one)

66 posted on 10/31/2009 5:59:53 PM PDT by goat granny
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/875386/posts

It is a few years old but it has colored my perceptionof dell. I also understand that they support limiting the second amendment.

So, I buy through Tiger Direct and have not had a bad computer yet. My last computer is an Acer Aspire intel computer. It has been a dream. nice in every way.

67 posted on 10/31/2009 6:00:10 PM PDT by mlmr (Angry with what leftists are doing to our country, our children and our culture...)

To: ottbmare

That horrible experience was duplicated in my house. No dell for us.

68 posted on 10/31/2009 6:01:00 PM PDT by mlmr (Angry with what leftists are doing to our country, our children and our culture...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: doc1019

I think I will give Dell a shot.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

69 posted on 10/31/2009 6:03:30 PM PDT by mlmr (Angry with what leftists are doing to our country, our children and our culture...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 50 | View Replies]

To: montag813

>I have a Dell XPS 730 with Quad core, 8GB and Vista x64. Absolute powerhouse for video and graphics. Chassis and internal features are amazing. Not a single crash in the 11 months of ownership.

Didn’t realize this model’s been out that long - time does fly.

70 posted on 10/31/2009 6:04:07 PM PDT by JoeProBono (A closed mouth gathers no feet)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 62 | View Replies]

To: mlmr

?

71 posted on 10/31/2009 6:04:38 PM PDT by doc1019
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 69 | View Replies]

To: goat granny; 1rudeboy; All

Please ignore my post about Dell, post #66, its a Gateway I have, not Dell, everything else applies....Sorry :O(

72 posted on 10/31/2009 6:06:34 PM PDT by goat granny
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 66 | View Replies]

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/875386/posts

Post 28 explains what happened

It is a few years old but it has colored my perceptionof dell. I also understand that they support limiting the second amendment.

So, I buy through Tiger Direct and have not had a bad computer yet. My last computer is an Acer Aspire intel computer. It has been a dream. nice in every way.

73 posted on 10/31/2009 6:06:54 PM PDT by mlmr (Angry with what leftists are doing to our country, our children and our culture...)

To: goat granny

Oh, I’m not complaining about Dell products . . . just its website. It gives me fits.

74 posted on 10/31/2009 6:07:25 PM PDT by 1rudeboy

To: Vendome

My company has had bad experiences with Sony, even on warranty service. One laptop (a Vaio) used extensively on field service work had a display failure while on warranty. It took Sony over a month to turn it around.

75 posted on 10/31/2009 6:09:03 PM PDT by Fred Hayek (From this point forward the Democratic Party will be referred to as the Communist Party)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

See post 73 of this thread for a link and go to the post listed for an explanation

76 posted on 10/31/2009 6:10:06 PM PDT by mlmr (Angry with what leftists are doing to our country, our children and our culture...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 71 | View Replies]

Years ago I came to the conclusion that I will have to purchase a new computer every 2 years.

So naturally, I held my last puter for 3 years.

The latest one is a Toshiba...I don’t care about the labels or the nomenclature...This baby does zero to 60 in less than 5.....Loving it....Best one ever....of the 6 or 7 I have previously owned.

77 posted on 10/31/2009 6:10:53 PM PDT by Radix (Obama represents CHAINS for posterity.)

To: 1rudeboy; goat granny

>Oh, I’m not complaining about Dell products . . . just its website. It gives me fits.

Have and do own a number of Dells.

Never needed their website.

78 posted on 10/31/2009 6:12:19 PM PDT by JoeProBono (A closed mouth gathers no feet)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 74 | View Replies]

To: mlmr

I will check it out. Gee, more things to ponder. Thanks for your response.

79 posted on 10/31/2009 6:13:33 PM PDT by doc1019
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 76 | View Replies]

Kids, Business, Laptop, Desktop..., still use two regularly and they work great. Gave away some to kids. One desktop had a mainboard failure, it was out of warranty, one phonecall and one day later there was a tech at my house with a new board and fixed it no questions.

80 posted on 10/31/2009 6:13:35 PM PDT by loungitude (The truth hurts.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: Mr. Jeeves

I have had Gateways and Dells that we used in our business. When we sold I bought a Sony. It is going on seven years old and still working like a charm. I had to take it to the shop once. The heat fan dropped off. They glued it back and it is still working. That was two years ago.

81 posted on 10/31/2009 6:15:35 PM PDT by Faith-Hope
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

To: goat granny

You have a good daughter.

82 posted on 10/31/2009 6:15:58 PM PDT by JoeProBono (A closed mouth gathers no feet)

To: loungitude

Thanks for your response. Yet more things to consider. ;-)

83 posted on 10/31/2009 6:17:37 PM PDT by doc1019
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 80 | View Replies]

To: Abby4116

Well, Toshiba has a known problem with motherboards, as I have just recently discovered. Six months is about right for timing re: having problems.

Bottom line, if your pc crashes and you’re im a panic to replace it....don’t. Panic, that is. Take the time to research the products vs. taking the best sale/buy you find. I’m learning the hard way (as usual).

84 posted on 10/31/2009 6:17:47 PM PDT by XenaLee
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 51 | View Replies]

dellauction.com refurbs cheap if that suits you.

85 posted on 10/31/2009 6:18:15 PM PDT by loungitude (The truth hurts.)

My advise? Stay away from Dell

86 posted on 10/31/2009 6:19:28 PM PDT by dragnet2

I’ve bought over a dozen Dells. Top notch PCs. No other PC manufacturer is a consistentenly good, in my opinion. I also have some Sony, HP, and Apple computers.

87 posted on 10/31/2009 6:24:46 PM PDT by safisoft

To: JoeProBono
Didn’t realize this model’s been out that long - time does fly.

And I bought my unit REFURBISHED! My 8th rerubed Dell and not a single problemn with any of them. Deck rocks.

88 posted on 10/31/2009 6:25:24 PM PDT by montag813 (During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. -George Orwell)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 70 | View Replies]

Replying on my Dell Studio 1535 laptop. Just now a year old and have had no problems. 2GB RAM, 250G HDD, Intel Core 2 Duo T5750. Linux OS. Love it.

89 posted on 10/31/2009 6:26:06 PM PDT by Shadow Deamon

To: Spacetrucker

” One thing I was not aware of when I purchased it is that Dell contributes to some not-so-conservative causes - research them yourself so to avoid any misconceptions.”

Same thing could be said about Bill Gates . Al Gore is on the BOD of Apple . Can’t win !

90 posted on 10/31/2009 6:27:26 PM PDT by sushiman
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

We’d been loyal Dell consumers for about seven years. Then earlier this year I ordered a new laptop. It wouldn’t connect to the internet via cable. I could deal with that — just return it and get another; not a problem. It happens. Howevever, the customer service/tech support had become absolutely intolerable! Nobody spoke English. It made my hair hurt to have a simple conversation. I’d call, speak to someone who would take my number to return my call. Not one call was ever returned.

That’s the streamlined version of three days in Dell Hell. We’ll have nothing more to do with Dell until/unless they revamp tech support. The Dell went back. Got an HP instead.

91 posted on 10/31/2009 6:28:22 PM PDT by MayflowerMadam

To: Terpfen

” why did you abandon your investigation into Apple? “

1. They are having some problems with new iMacs : slowdowns ...screen flickering ...just to name two .

2. The nearest Apple store is 2 and a half hours from me . No in home service

3. Al Gore is on the Board Of Directors !

92 posted on 10/31/2009 6:30:04 PM PDT by sushiman
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 30 | View Replies]

To: GLDNGUN

Not in Japan on lowest priced models .

93 posted on 10/31/2009 6:35:25 PM PDT by sushiman
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 44 | View Replies]

To: republicangel

We had the same experice with Dell. I’ve never had a computer that died at 2.5 years old but their’s did.

94 posted on 10/31/2009 6:38:01 PM PDT by chris_bdba
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: Porterville

” If I were to buy a desktop.. I would try to also get an Asus “

Only laptops available in Japan . Want at least a 19” screen .

95 posted on 10/31/2009 6:40:11 PM PDT by sushiman
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 54 | View Replies]

“Al Gore is on the Board Of Directors !”

But ALGORE invented the Internet!

96 posted on 10/31/2009 6:40:22 PM PDT by JoeProBono (A closed mouth gathers no feet)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 92 | View Replies]

They are having some problems with new iMacs : slowdowns ...screen flickering ...just to name two .

Only on a few 27'' units, and only with Flash content.

2. The nearest Apple store is 2 and a half hours from me . No in home service

Not uncommon or unique in the computer industry.

3. Al Gore is on the Board Of Directors !

Exercises no control, doesn't stop Rush Limbaugh and a substantial number of FReepers from buying Macs.
97 posted on 10/31/2009 6:41:44 PM PDT by Terpfen (FR is being Alinskied. Remember, you only take flak when you're over the target.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 92 | View Replies]

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesProductDisplay?storeId=10001&jspStoreDir=Staples&AID=10427430&partNumber=827754&cm_mmc=CJ-_-1371119-_-1371119-_-10427430&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&PID=1371119

http://www.dealsofamerica.com/

Check dealsofamerica daily. New stuff added all the time.

98 posted on 10/31/2009 6:42:50 PM PDT by Jet Jaguar (A mob of one.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 90 | View Replies]

To: Fred Hayek

I would say Dell has better warranty service. Heck, there are guys that drive around all day long doing RMA. They free lance but, make as much as a direct employee.

Sony well, their RMA ain’t so good.

99 posted on 10/31/2009 6:44:38 PM PDT by Vendome (Don't take life so seriously... You'll never live through it.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 75 | View Replies]

Did you get adequate feedback already? I have some first hand experience but won’t belabor the pint if you’ve gotten enough info.

100 posted on 10/31/2009 6:45:46 PM PDT by GreenAccord (Bacon Akbar!)

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-100101-124 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson