Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: sushiman
The last computer I bought was an XPS M1530. (It cost $1,750 18 months ago).

So far, it's been a total disaster.

The hard drive has been replaced THREE times (and it's still noisy), the mother board was replaced three weeks ago, the APC adapter died out of the blue two weeks ago, the audio is horrible (even with an external sound card), and now the system is blue screening....

I worked at Dell for six years in marketing and I have great respect for the company. Micheal Dell is also a republican which is really great.

However, I will NEVER buy another Dell again.

I bought an HP last week with windows 7, 6MB of memory, a 7200 RPM hard drive, and a Intel Duo Core 2.4 processor. It puts the Dell XPS to absolute shame.

Some advice if you do go with the Dell ---

Best time to buy is Black Friday (by far the best deals of the year)

Dell outlet pricing is NOT very good. You might save $20-$100 bucks over a similar config, but it is NOT worth it to buy a returned system.

Be sure to get windows 7 -- it rocks! Be SURE to get the 64 bit OS -- the 32 bit OS can only handle up to 3mb of memory!!!

The AUDIO on XPS sytems are NOT very good. Be sure to get an external sound card to compensate. (Sound on my HP without an external card is fantastic BTW.

For your uses, you probably do not need 6mb of memory. For basic word processing and Internet you can easily get by with 2.1 ghz processor and 4gb of memory. Take the savings and apply to the extended warranty!

good luck!

53 posted on 10/31/2009 5:41:49 PM PDT by kara2008
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

To: kara2008

“6MB of memory, a 7200 RPM hard drive, and a Intel Duo Core 2.4 processor”

There’s you problem - no memory!

56 posted on 10/31/2009 5:45:22 PM PDT by JoeProBono (A closed mouth gathers no feet)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 53 | View Replies ]

To: kara2008

Congratulations on the new PC!

112 posted on 10/31/2009 8:07:17 PM PDT by cabojoe
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 53 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson