Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

McDonald: Minnesota Vikings' Brett Favre frontrunner for MVP of 2009 season
SJ Mercury News ^ | 11/7/09 | Jerry McDonald

Posted on 11/10/2009 3:11:34 PM PST by pissant

With every team either already at the midway point of the season or arriving there this weekend, here are your leaders for some individual awards, both real and manufactured:

Most valuable player — Brett Favre, Minnesota.

At some point he probably will throw an inexplicable interception that will cost the Vikings dearly, but his play has far exceeded expectations. His 32-yard touchdown pass to Greg Lewis that beat the 49ers probably will stand as the play of the year.

Offensive player of the year — Peyton Manning, Indianapolis.

(Excerpt) Read more at mercurynews.com ...


TOPICS: Sports
KEYWORDS: favre; mvp; nfl
Flop of the year: Eli Manning
1 posted on 11/10/2009 3:11:35 PM PST by pissant
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: pissant

As a diehard Packer fan it’s tough to watch Brett eat the league up, similiar to the mid 90s. I have to say the old man still has it. Because he is now the current QB for the Vikings, I don’t like him just as I didn’t like the other QBs the Vikings have used since I’ve been following the NFL. Once he retires again, I’ll probably go back to liking to watch his highlights and remembering the good times he brought to me as a Packer fan. I just wish he’d give some of the bad times he caused (like the NY Giants playoff interception) to the Vikings ;)


2 posted on 11/10/2009 3:21:24 PM PST by GlennBeck08
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: pissant
BS!

Of the 10 WR’s and TE’s on the Giants roster, their combined experience is 23 years. 2.3 years per receiver ain't much. Three rookies and no one with more than 4 years in the NFL.

The reason the Giants have gone flat is obvious. No Steve Spagnuolo to coach the defense.

3 posted on 11/10/2009 3:22:06 PM PST by Reagan Man ("In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: GlennBeck08
Aaron Rodgers would be the MVP front-runner if the stupid Packers had a good O-Line. His stats are much better than Favre's and he's a better play-maker.

BTW - the Jets were 8-3 with Favre at the helm and completely crashed. Look for history to repeat itself.

4 posted on 11/10/2009 3:23:36 PM PST by Extremely Extreme Extremist (90% of the fedgov is unconstitutional. The other 10% besides the military doesnt know what it's doin)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: pissant

Favre had a very good first-half of the season with the Jets last year. Doesn’t that give any of these analysts any pause?

I have seen some of his play this year. Seems to me the Vikings aren’t asking a whole lot from him.

“Comeback Player of the Year” I can see. I’ll reserve judgement on MVP, however.


5 posted on 11/10/2009 3:23:49 PM PST by Tallguy ("The sh- t's chess, it ain't checkers!" -- Alonzo (Denzel Washington) in "Training Day")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: pissant

They better give it to him or he’ll turn into a blubbering idiot.


6 posted on 11/10/2009 3:24:46 PM PST by Petronski (In Germany they came first for the Communists, And I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Reagan Man

I can’t stand the giants, so you can blame whoever you want. As long as they keep losing; I’m happy.


7 posted on 11/10/2009 3:25:39 PM PST by pissant (THE Conservative party: www.falconparty.com)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: pissant

Farve is good .... but no MVP. Sounds like the writer is a groupie


8 posted on 11/10/2009 3:28:36 PM PST by Sasquatch the Original
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Tallguy
Doesn’t that give any of these analysts any pause?

Favre = ratings. Say his name, people are interested.

9 posted on 11/10/2009 3:30:17 PM PST by Huck (The Constitution--a big government boondoggle.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: pissant

I was at Southern Miss when Favre was there. I have never seen anyone with such a strong arm. We were the only team to beat Florida State one year. Then again we lost to a terrible Tulane the same year.


10 posted on 11/10/2009 3:31:12 PM PST by yarddog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: pissant
Excuses? Wrong. Try the truth.

If you knew anything about football, you wouldn't make such stupid remarks. Same goes for your politics.

Btw, you got a team?

11 posted on 11/10/2009 3:31:12 PM PST by Reagan Man ("In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: pissant

That’s odd. On the Fox Sports site, Drew Brees was leading the fan voting by a wide margin yesterday. Peyton Manning was the writer’s choice.


12 posted on 11/10/2009 3:34:55 PM PST by Ingtar (Asses far Left of me; Rinos to the Left; FReepin' on the Right with you.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Extremely Extreme Extremist

Rodgers is a good QB. Sometimes his O-line is absolutely terrible, but he holds the ball to long for some of the sacks. I don’t know if it’s the offensive line, or that Aaron Rodgers doesn’t have the leadership or killer instinct but sometimes I think somethings missing from him. I hope it’s the O-line issues, because if he’s not a leader, I worry.


13 posted on 11/10/2009 3:35:52 PM PST by GlennBeck08
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: GlennBeck08
I just wish he’d give some of the bad times he caused (like the NY Giants playoff interception) to the Vikings ;)

Except the Vikes have this thing unknown in Green Bay called an offensive line that make interceptions a little less common.

Packer fans have to face the cold, hard truth. The last 15 years were an aberration. Since his departure the team has found it's rightful and natural place in the NFL pecking order, where it will stay for the indefinite future.

14 posted on 11/10/2009 3:36:50 PM PST by Minn (Here is a realistic picture of the prophet: ----> ([: {()
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: GlennBeck08
I'm a Vikings fan, but I enjoyed the t-shirt I saw in a store window when I visited my son at college in Madison: "We'll never forget you, Brent!"
15 posted on 11/10/2009 3:38:12 PM PST by MN Doc
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Extremely Extreme Extremist

Jeesh, I forgot to reply to the 8-3 Jets part.

I don’t know if he’ll repeat to that level of crappiness. He was injured and didn’t have Adrian Peterson to hand-off to. I think he’ll falter, but not to the degree he did last season. Go Pack Go.


16 posted on 11/10/2009 3:38:57 PM PST by GlennBeck08
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Tallguy

As a Bengals fan, I gotta mention Carson Palmer who seems to be healthy for the first time since 2005 including missing 12 games in 2008 and almost all of 2009 pre-season. Lots of final minute winning drives and getting his touch back.


17 posted on 11/10/2009 3:41:15 PM PST by newfreep ("Liberalism is just Communism sold by the drink." - P.J. O'Rourke)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: Minn

Or until Favre re-re-retires. Do you really think Sage Rosenfels or TJax can lead the Vikes like Favre has? I think he was the missing ingredient to a team that always had talent, just not at the QB spot. I think he’ll falter a bit near the end of the season, hopefully for the Vikings, he won’t during the playoffs.

About that pecking order, how many Lombardi trophies do the Vikes have ;)


18 posted on 11/10/2009 3:42:13 PM PST by GlennBeck08
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: Reagan Man

4 losses in a row. Don’t get much better than that.


19 posted on 11/10/2009 3:42:27 PM PST by pissant (THE Conservative party: www.falconparty.com)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: MN Doc

That is a funny shirt. I want to buy one.


20 posted on 11/10/2009 3:45:21 PM PST by GlennBeck08
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: pissant

Watch for Tom Brady to come on strong the second half of the season...the Pats face P. Manning and Brees over the next two weeks. That’s must-see football.

Weasel Favre will be a mess by the end of the year.


21 posted on 11/10/2009 3:46:54 PM PST by Third Person (Fear is the mind killer.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Minn
The last 15 years were an aberration.

LOL. In the last 15 years, we went to two Super Bowls and an NFC Championship game.

Other than a 15-1 season in which Gary Johnson completely choked, what did the Vikings do? You're the NFC version of the Bills.

22 posted on 11/10/2009 3:47:55 PM PST by Extremely Extreme Extremist (90% of the fedgov is unconstitutional. The other 10% besides the military doesnt know what it's doin)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: pissant

Yeah I know, four losses in a row is real bad.

Now, answer my question. And your team is?


23 posted on 11/10/2009 3:49:26 PM PST by Reagan Man ("In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

To: Reagan Man

Hint. They are 8-1 and should be 9-0.


24 posted on 11/10/2009 3:51:40 PM PST by pissant (THE Conservative party: www.falconparty.com)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

To: Third Person

Oops...Manning and Brees over the next three weeks. Jets are in the middle.


25 posted on 11/10/2009 3:52:10 PM PST by Third Person (Fear is the mind killer.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

To: Third Person

Oops...Manning and Brees over the next three weeks. Jets are in the middle.


26 posted on 11/10/2009 3:52:24 PM PST by Third Person (Fear is the mind killer.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

To: Reagan Man

bump


27 posted on 11/10/2009 3:52:55 PM PST by ConservativeMan55
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

To: GlennBeck08
Do you really think Sage Rosenfels or TJax can lead the Vikes like Favre has?

Nope, but neither did Tommy Kramer, Wade Wilson, and every other QB the Vikes had in the late 70s and 80s. That didn't keep them using the Packers for a doormat or a regular basis, which is the norm that has returned since the Packers have gone from a one man team to a zero man team. There's no doubt the Packers have a great distant past, and a short mid 90s revival. Everything else is strictly bottom of the barrel. While it certainly would have been nice to have one at least one of the four big games, from an entertainment aspect, it's nice to have a team that has had one embarrassing season in almost fifty years, rather than one or two dozen.

28 posted on 11/10/2009 3:53:59 PM PST by Minn (Here is a realistic picture of the prophet: ----> ([: {()
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

To: pissant

No team in the NFL is 8-1, pal.

You must talking Canadian football? LOL


29 posted on 11/10/2009 3:55:45 PM PST by Reagan Man ("In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

To: pissant

It’s actually a pretty good year for watching ball...Some good QBs out there, Brett being up at or near the top. I read some comments about the Giants and Eli in the thread...I am not a fan of the Giants (just good football), but didn’t I hear that they lost like four of their front line starters???


30 posted on 11/10/2009 3:59:19 PM PST by IrishPennant (“If you can accept losing, you can't win.” ~ Vince Lombardi)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Extremely Extreme Extremist

“Other than a 15-1 season in which Gary Johnson completely choked, what did the Vikings do?”

Well, we went to the NFC championship in 2000, too. Of course, we were utterly destroyed by the Giants, so the more people forget that season the better. But this is all really beside the point. I’m more than willing to admit the natural and rightful place of the Vikings in the NFL pecking order is to lose in the first round of the play-offs. The Packers, on the other hand (in recent history at least), were a powerhouse team with two visits to the superbowl mostly because of Favre.

It’s something their fans will have to come to terms with. Just like I’ve had to come to terms with the fact that the storybook ‘98 season was a total fluke.

“You’re the NFC version of the Bills.”

That was another time. And even then, it was never four times in a row, poor Bills.


31 posted on 11/10/2009 3:59:48 PM PST by Tublecane
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 22 | View Replies]

To: Reagan Man

Wanna bet that mine will be after next week.


32 posted on 11/10/2009 4:01:15 PM PST by pissant (THE Conservative party: www.falconparty.com)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

To: pissant

Back to being a clown, I see. You don’t even know your teams record. LOL

So tell us bozo, why you hate the Giants?


33 posted on 11/10/2009 4:07:41 PM PST by Reagan Man ("In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 32 | View Replies]

To: Extremely Extreme Extremist
You and I agree on everything, but this time we part ways. Eric Mangini is a world class putz and a complete fool. Ted Thompson traded Brett to the worst team he could find for a third round draft choice. That team had an idiot coach, a paper line, slow receivers with bad hands, and defensive players too stupid to put their bongs away in the presence of the state police. The Jets had been 4-12. With a bad arm, Favre took them to nine and seven. Favre is sixteen and eight without the Packers. Green Bay is 10-14 without Favre. Ted Thompson told us there would be no drop off when he made that wretched move.

Favre has thrown seven td’s and no picks against Green Bay, beat them twice, and won games against SF and Baltimore singlehandedly. The old man should never have been run out of town. Green Bay is headed back to the 70’s as it is now. Rodgers is no Favre. Rodgers is Lynn Dickey.

Blindly following Ted Thompson is no better than the libs following Obama. The Pack can't even beat Tampa Bay, let alone Minnesota. Favre is Teddy's daddy. Thompson's days are numbered.

34 posted on 11/10/2009 4:07:50 PM PST by Luke21
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Reagan Man

Mainly for their annoying prima donna fans.


35 posted on 11/10/2009 4:08:21 PM PST by pissant (THE Conservative party: www.falconparty.com)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 33 | View Replies]

To: Minn
which is the norm that has returned since the Packers have gone from a one man team to a zero man team.

You ignore the fact that we have one of the best receiving corp in the league and an outstanding secondary.

36 posted on 11/10/2009 4:08:43 PM PST by Extremely Extreme Extremist (90% of the fedgov is unconstitutional. The other 10% besides the military doesnt know what it's doin)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

To: Minn

Green Bay Packers vs. Minnesota Vikings 1961-2008 49 45 1 .521 1,975 1,807


37 posted on 11/10/2009 4:13:46 PM PST by GlennBeck08
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

To: Luke21

As a Packer fan, don’t get me started on Ted Thompson. I hope he gets fired and fired soon.


38 posted on 11/10/2009 4:15:40 PM PST by GlennBeck08
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 34 | View Replies]

To: pissant
Figures. You don't have a good reason for hating the Giants. Just some silly ad hominem offering.

Gotcha!

39 posted on 11/10/2009 4:15:45 PM PST by Reagan Man ("In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 35 | View Replies]

To: Reagan Man

Well, you better rest up during the bye week and prepare for your next loss.


40 posted on 11/10/2009 4:21:03 PM PST by pissant (THE Conservative party: www.falconparty.com)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 39 | View Replies]

To: pissant

Actually, I’m looking forward to all the remaining Giants games. That includes, January 3rd.


41 posted on 11/10/2009 4:35:16 PM PST by Reagan Man ("In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 40 | View Replies]

To: Luke21
I agree with you on Ted Thompson, but the rest of your analysis is flawed.
After being 8-3 Favre resorted to being the old, old Favre and was throwing picks right and left (Yes, there was a time when Favre was so hated in GB that when Mark Brunell played against the Vikings, fans wanted Brunell to take over).

Rodgers did a solid job last year and it was the defense that costed them close games. The majority of their losses were by less than 5 points, absolute heartbreakers. Rodgers is going to be a great QB and he's already at the top in the ratings. He just needs a good O-line, that's all.

Favre wasn't "run out on a rail." He announced his retirement, and that should have been that. If he wanted to play football elsewhere that's fine and I have no beef with that, but don't use false pretenses on why you want to continue playing. Just ask for the trade or get cut and be done with it. If Favre is so good he should have beaten the Giants in that NFC game. I'm still pissed over it.

42 posted on 11/10/2009 5:07:34 PM PST by Extremely Extreme Extremist (90% of the fedgov is unconstitutional. The other 10% besides the military doesnt know what it's doin)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 34 | View Replies]

To: Luke21
The Pack can't even beat Tampa Bay

What makes it even more humiliating, is that they did it wearing those homo dreamsicle uniforms. LOL

43 posted on 11/10/2009 5:09:33 PM PST by Extremely Extreme Extremist (90% of the fedgov is unconstitutional. The other 10% besides the military doesnt know what it's doin)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 34 | View Replies]

To: pissant

Only the NYG and Houston have played 9 games, and neither is 8-1.

New Orleans and Indy are the only two teams at 8-0.


44 posted on 11/10/2009 10:06:01 PM PST by octex
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

To: Extremely Extreme Extremist
What makes it even more humiliating, is that they did it wearing those homo dreamsicle uniforms. LOL

lol. I told a Packer fan the exact same thing on Monday. Bwahahahaha...Those were the most fag uniforms I have ever seen. LOLOLOLLLLLLL

45 posted on 11/11/2009 8:03:36 AM PST by GUNGAGALUNGA (Its in the hole............)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 43 | View Replies]

To: Extremely Extreme Extremist

Favre and Vikings haven’t crashed like you predicted they will.


46 posted on 11/22/2009 4:34:56 PM PST by MinorityRepublican
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: MinorityRepublican
Excuse me, but there's six more games to be played.
While they may not crash and will likely get the #2 playoff seed, there's no way they're beating the Saints and they could get upset in the 2nd round.
47 posted on 11/22/2009 8:57:45 PM PST by Extremely Extreme Extremist (10 YEARS OF FREEPING! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY EEE!!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 46 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson