Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: Capt. Tom

Me no like sharks.

Sounds bad.... but I always make sure there’s someone further out in the ocean than me.

11 posted on 01/20/2010 5:05:53 PM PST by Drea
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

To: Drea
but I always make sure there’s someone further out in the ocean than me.

LOL....my strategy as well....its worked so far.

13 posted on 01/20/2010 5:24:12 PM PST by northwinds
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies ]

To: Drea
but I always make sure there’s someone further out in the ocean than me.

Sharks, like most fish like easy targets.- Tom

This attack occured only a few days ago in South Africa at Fish Hoek beach. Excerpt from http://www.theherald.co.za/article.aspx?id=518503

Kyle Johnston, of Diep River, said he and his friends had been swimming near the man when the shark struck.

“We were swimming only about 15m away from the guy. We were at about chest depth and he was a little deeper.

“We looked at the walkway and saw people waving towels at us, then we looked further out to sea and saw what looked like blood, and a man’s leg come up.

“I was floating and I thought the people waving at us were joking, but then I looked back and saw a fin and blood,” said his friend Dane Leo.

Irishman Denis Lundon saw “several bits of fish” that might have been parts of a single shark emerging from the water, then a swimmer being thrust chest-high out of the sea.

“I jumped, waved my hat and roared and screamed at swimmers to get out of the water. I never want to experience this again. I’m going to block it out of my mind,” he said.

“We saw the shark come back twice,” said Lundon’s friend, Phyllis McCartain, from Arundel in England.

“It had the man’s body in its mouth, and his arm was in the air. Then the sea was full of blood.”

Kathy Geldenhuys was sitting on a nearby bench with her husband at the time of the attack.

: “My husband had just pointed out how far the man was swimming from the other people. He asked what would happen if he was attacked by a shark, because he was so far away. The words were hardly cold when the shark attacked that man.

“The shark attacked twice; it turned and attacked the man again; I just saw the blood on the water.”

Geldenhuys said she had not seen the shark before it attacked the man. “Only when it was attacking did I see the fin, but then I could see the whole body under the water. It was a very big shark.”

Later, Coppen described the shark as being “longer than a minibus and the rubber ducks lifeguards use”.

“It was this giant shadow heading to something colourful. Then it sort of came out the water and took this colourful lump and went off with it. You could see its whole jaw wrap around the thing which turned out to be a person,” Coppen said.

14 posted on 01/20/2010 5:34:59 PM PST by Capt. Tom
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson