Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: WhatNot
Some experts, including contest judge and competitive eating journalist Gersh Kuntzman, said Kobayashi's arrest is a sign the famed athlete -- who lost the prior three Nathan's contests to Chestnut -- is past his prime.

Competitive eating journalist? People actually make a living reporting this crap? Famed athlete? Freak of nature is more accurate. Seriously, where's the glory in winning an eating contest? It's like bragging about whose farts stink the most.
19 posted on 07/04/2010 6:29:53 PM PDT by Welsh Rabbit
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

To: Welsh Rabbit
Competitive eating journalist? People actually make a living reporting this crap?

Apparently they do. It was televised, complete with the flying camera shots, closeups, etc. and two commentators. I couldn't help but think that the commentators must have felt like losers -- no doubt they started off their careers thinking about being an on air commentator for the NFL, or major league baseball. And now they are talking about hot dog eating. What's next - shopping cart racing?

31 posted on 07/04/2010 7:26:59 PM PDT by freeandfreezing
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies ]

Gersh Kuntzman is a reporter who covered the Nathan’s contest in the New York Post for years. I think the Independence Day contest sparked his interest in eating competitions, which is a bizarre subject to say the least. He used to chat with Curtis Sliwa about the Nathan’s contest. He did his research, too. He could discuss eating competitions from all over the world. He got to know a lot of these people. The best answer to “Why?” seemed to be “Because.” They really do train for it.

38 posted on 07/04/2010 8:20:37 PM PDT by sig226

From what I understand, in Japan competitive eating is a big sport, and they can make good money.

41 posted on 07/04/2010 10:44:17 PM PDT by I still care (I believe in the universality of freedom -George Bush, asked if he regrets going to war.)

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson