Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: PROCON
And since I liked it so much, it's time for this quote. One IMO is the trump card to anyone using the "race card".

"What I ask for the Negro is not benevolence, not pity, not sympathy, but simply justice. The American people have always been anxious to know what they shall do with us…. I have had but one answer from the beginning. Do nothing with us! Your doing with us has already played the mischief with us. Do nothing with us! If the apples will not remain on the tree of their own strength, if they are worm-eaten at the core, if they are early ripe and disposed to fall, let them fall! … And if the Negro cannot stand on his own legs, let him fall also. All I ask is give him a chance to stand on his own legs! Let him alone! … Your interference is doing him positive injury."

-Frederick Douglass

3 posted on 07/30/2010 12:03:36 PM PDT by GOP_Raider (Please consider the logging and timber industries when printing this tagline)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

To: GOP_Raider
Let me correct something...

One IMO that is the trump card to anyone using the "race card".

4 posted on 07/30/2010 12:06:52 PM PDT by GOP_Raider (Please consider the logging and timber industries when printing this tagline)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies ]

To: GOP_Raider

I’ll see your great quote and raise you one.

This is from Booker T. Washington

There is another class of coloured people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs — partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do do not want to lose their jobs.

6 posted on 07/30/2010 12:52:44 PM PDT by Responsibility2nd (PALIN/MCCAIN IN 2012 - barf alert? sarc tag? -- can't decide)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson