Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: SunkenCiv

I know that now. After meeting that young man I read some books he recommended and recently I met a NC man who is researching the subject. I asked how his research had been received given the reaction we saw at the AHC and he said his response had been mixed.

20 posted on 09/19/2010 5:55:29 PM PDT by kalee (The offences we give, we write in the dust; Those we take, we engrave in marble. J Huett 1658)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies ]

To: kalee

Before slavery became a life sentence, there were families of descendants of slaves who had been freed, or saved up money and bought themselves out of bondage, mostly during the 18th c. When the shooting started, some of them (and they were never numerous, and for obvious reasons were often all related by marriage or blood) tried to sign up in their state militias and whatnot, and were turned away. In the last year of the war, Lee (who contrary to myth was not opposed to slavery) asked the Confederate congress to allow recruitment of black soldiers, with the incentive that they would be freed after the war (IOW, they would enlist and serve as slaves, only winning their freedom after the war ended). Since it was Lee asking, it was passed. This measure resulted in a few hundreds of enlistments, out of a total in service in the various CSA forces of perhaps a million all told.

23 posted on 09/19/2010 6:43:04 PM PDT by SunkenCiv (Democratic Underground... matters are worse, as their latest fund drive has come up short...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies ]

To: kalee

...and y’know, somewhere around here I have a book about the families of antebellum free blacks...

24 posted on 09/19/2010 6:44:42 PM PDT by SunkenCiv (Democratic Underground... matters are worse, as their latest fund drive has come up short...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson