Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Neil Diamond Inducted Into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
FoxNews ^ | 12/15/10 | Staff

Posted on 12/15/2010 7:30:08 AM PST by MissTed

He's coming to America ... today!

(Because that's where the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is.)

Yes Neil Diamond, who had been eligible for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for several years but never got a nomination, is in.

"I thought about it occasionally, but I kind of figured they'd get around to me at some point," he said in a phone interview.

That point came on Tuesday, as the 2011 class for the Cleveland hall was revealed. Diamond, whose hits include "Sweet Caroline," made the list, along with the Alice Cooper Band, New Orleans musician Dr. John, Darlene Love and singer-songwriter Tom Waits.

slideshow

We count down the skankiest do's in rock.

Piano man Leon Russell was honored with a musical excellence award, previously the sideman category. Executives Jac Holzman and Art Rupe were given the Ahmet Ertegun Awards.

(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com ...

TOPICS: Music/Entertainment
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-73 next last
So sue me, I love Neil Diamond!
1 posted on 12/15/2010 7:30:11 AM PST by MissTed
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: MissTed

Neil Diamond?????? R U Kidding? Where is KISS or Judas Priest? Neil Diamond is NOT rock & roll, EZ listening yes, rock NO!!!

2 posted on 12/15/2010 7:33:41 AM PST by NCBraveheart ("oderint dum metuant"........Let them hate, as long as they fear.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

MIght as well induct Mitch Miller into the RHOF. The people they've passed up is just astounding. Nothing against Neil Diamond.
3 posted on 12/15/2010 7:33:50 AM PST by pieceofthepuzzle

Its about time he was inducted into the Rock and roll hall of fame.
What took them so long?

4 posted on 12/15/2010 7:34:45 AM PST by puppypusher (The World is going to the dogs.)

I love me some Neil Diamond too. One of the best concerts I’ve ever been to.

Congrats Neil!

5 posted on 12/15/2010 7:34:59 AM PST by Vanbasten

The Last Waltz finally got it's due. Neil Diamond was certainly out of place for the time, but his talent grows on you as you age.

As for Doctor John, Amen!

Is Van the man (morrisson) in?

6 posted on 12/15/2010 7:35:15 AM PST by blackdog

To: MissTed; Salamander; 50mm

HaHaHaHaHa!!!

HoHoHoHaHaHaHaHa!

Snicker! Snort!

HaHaHa1

STOP! (You’re killin’ me!)

Rip! Snort! Guffaw! Chickle! ..... HaHaHaHaHa!!!!!

hahaha!

What? heh-heh What? - you’re serious? hem ...heh-heh

heh

no, really?

7 posted on 12/15/2010 7:35:34 AM PST by shibumi (Trailerpark Viking Overlord Pablo (with His Dark Yet Whimsical Band of Cut Throats))

Neil Diamond before he became a parody of himself, was an excellent songwriter in the 60s, he should be in.

8 posted on 12/15/2010 7:36:52 AM PST by dfwgator (Welcome to the Gator Nation Will Muschamp)

To: blackdog
"...but his talent grows on you as you age. "

So do nose hairs.
9 posted on 12/15/2010 7:37:06 AM PST by shibumi (Trailerpark Viking Overlord Pablo (with His Dark Yet Whimsical Band of Cut Throats))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

I like music, all kinds of music, especially R&R but I would avoid the rock&roll hall of fame like the plague.

10 posted on 12/15/2010 7:40:15 AM PST by kickonly88 (I love fossil fuel!)

Oh my me too!! I remember my mother putting on the album Hot August Night and I was hooked. My favorite though is Sweet Caroline.

11 posted on 12/15/2010 7:43:13 AM PST by GoCards (Why me? Why not me?)

Van has been for about ten years or so. He did not perform, at his induction, I think it was Green Day that performed in his place as Van was a big influence on their lead singer.

12 posted on 12/15/2010 7:45:43 AM PST by Michael.SF. (Current count of friends/family who have abandoned Obama: 11)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: kickonly88

It’s actually a pretty cool place.

13 posted on 12/15/2010 7:45:58 AM PST by mylife (The Roar Of The Masses Could Be Farts.....)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

alice cooper was way overdue to be inducted....

14 posted on 12/15/2010 7:48:30 AM PST by tatsinfla

Niel Diamond + Rock & Roll???

What’s next, Run DMC into the country music hall of fame?

15 posted on 12/15/2010 7:48:38 AM PST by diverteach (If I find liberals in heaven after my death.....I WILL BE PISSED!!!)

To: shibumi

Whenevr the awful reality of todays conditions hits me hard, I pull out my “Last Waltz” CD and chill with wine and a good meal. Every time I watch it I still cannot figure what Neil Diamond is doing there?

16 posted on 12/15/2010 7:48:54 AM PST by blackdog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

Alice Cooper Band, New Orleans musician Dr. John, Darlene Love and singer-songwriter Tom Waits.

I personally am a big fan of Tom Waits, who writes some great songs (Ol '55, Downtown Train, San Diego Serenade, Heart of Saturday Night and my favorite: Cold, Cold, Ground) But I still have a hard time thinking of him in the Pop-Rock-HOF.

17 posted on 12/15/2010 7:49:36 AM PST by Michael.SF. (Current count of friends/family who have abandoned Obama: 11)

I think it's interesting that both Dr. John and Neil Diamond performed at The Band's last concert (The Last Waltz) in 1977. And here it is, a mere 33 years later, and they are getting into the HOF.

Is there a list of people who should be in the HOF but are not? I believe there are a lot of big names who just haven't made it.

18 posted on 12/15/2010 7:50:38 AM PST by ClearCase_guy

To: GoCards

That one and “Holly Holy”. His older music is great!

19 posted on 12/15/2010 7:51:12 AM PST by MissTed ( Do women in burqas have fun tagging each other in Facebook photos?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

And once more, the Ten Fingers of Doom, TruNorth BloodBrother #1, the Motor City Madman, TED HUGENT....was skipped over.

To blazes with the RRHOF. Bastards.

20 posted on 12/15/2010 7:51:56 AM PST by hoagy62 (.)

Back in 93 I flew into Burke Lakefront Airport, and they were just constructing the place at the time.

Awesome airport to fly into. I could see the faces of people in office buildings from the marker inbound. I hope to get back there some day.

21 posted on 12/15/2010 7:52:20 AM PST by blackdog

To: blackdog; Salamander; 50mm
"Whenevr the awful reality of todays conditions hits me hard, I pull out my “Last Waltz” CD and chill with wine and a good meal. Every time I watch it I still cannot figure what Neil Diamond is doing there?"

You have posed a metaphysical Gordian Knot, the untying of which is far beyond my meager analytical ability.
22 posted on 12/15/2010 7:52:41 AM PST by shibumi (Trailerpark Viking Overlord Pablo (with His Dark Yet Whimsical Band of Cut Throats))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

I would avoid the rock&roll hall of fame like the plague.

I went to a museum in Scottsdale, Az. called the Musical Instrument Museum, I was not too excited about going, but it was great (too much focus in some areas though), but I not only enjoyed it, I want to go back.

If the RR HOF is anything close to the MIM, I think you would be pleasantly surprised.

23 posted on 12/15/2010 7:53:35 AM PST by Michael.SF. (Current count of friends/family who have abandoned Obama: 11)

To: hoagy62

Ted WHAT????

I mean...TED NUGENT.....

(Aw, crap...now I gotta watch out for flying arrows....)

24 posted on 12/15/2010 7:54:42 AM PST by hoagy62 (.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

Ted who?

If his fans can't even spell his name............

;)

25 posted on 12/15/2010 7:55:05 AM PST by Michael.SF. (Current count of friends/family who have abandoned Obama: 11)

you beat me!

26 posted on 12/15/2010 7:55:41 AM PST by Michael.SF. (Current count of friends/family who have abandoned Obama: 11)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

An Alexandrian solution perhaps?

27 posted on 12/15/2010 7:56:40 AM PST by blackdog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 22 | View Replies]

I like Neil Diamond, but what of his was either rock and or roll?

28 posted on 12/15/2010 7:56:51 AM PST by IYAS9YAS (Liberalism can be summed up thusly: someone craps their pants and we all have to wear diapers)

And once more, the Ten Fingers of Doom, TruNorth BloodBrother #1, the Motor City Madman, TED HUGENT....was skipped over.

The Nuge' will never, ever, ever be inducted into the RRHOF --a fact I'm sure even Ted himself understands.

29 posted on 12/15/2010 7:57:29 AM PST by Drew68

Dear R n R HoF, Since you’re too stupid to acknowledge Jethro Tull when they were first eligible then please do not offer them a spot. Ever. We Tull fans prefer this.

30 posted on 12/15/2010 7:57:50 AM PST by InvisibleChurch (Stimulus ~ Response / "...and that's why the color yellow makes me sad, I think.")

KISS is not there yet?

31 posted on 12/15/2010 8:00:49 AM PST by SoFloFreeper

Being forced to listen to the subject “artist” for extended periods as I was during several years of my first marriage, did, indeed, lead to the “cutting of a knot.”

Or, at the very least, it was a major contributing factor.

32 posted on 12/15/2010 8:01:10 AM PST by shibumi (Trailerpark Viking Overlord Pablo (with His Dark Yet Whimsical Band of Cut Throats))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 27 | View Replies]

lawrence welk snubbed again? Just kidding. I actually enjoy diamond's stuff
33 posted on 12/15/2010 8:01:47 AM PST by paul51 (11 September 2001 - Never forget)

To: GoCards

Hot August Night is a great album.

34 posted on 12/15/2010 8:02:19 AM PST by Netizen
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Sue ME.........I love Neil Diamond 2

35 posted on 12/15/2010 8:03:56 AM PST by Carley (ISRAEL.......NOT SO ALONE!!!)

To: paul51
I knew I'd get flamed for posting this. lol
36 posted on 12/15/2010 8:04:37 AM PST by MissTed ( Do women in burqas have fun tagging each other in Facebook photos?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 33 | View Replies]

To: Michael.SF.

I think he meant Ted Hughent. Seriesly.

37 posted on 12/15/2010 8:04:37 AM PST by Hatteras
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 25 | View Replies]

Ya know, the level of intellect here on FR is refreshing (despite my weight on the curve downward). There are so many people with a wonderful grasp on so many things it boggles my mind.

38 posted on 12/15/2010 8:04:58 AM PST by blackdog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 32 | View Replies]

To: Drew68

I’m sure you’re right. Ted probably understands and doesn’t give a flying you-know-what.

But still...just once, I want to see a “good guy” get his due. And if those fruitabegas at the RRHOF can’t see that, then they can perform a physically impossible act.

(Which is entirely likely that many have tried...)

39 posted on 12/15/2010 8:05:27 AM PST by hoagy62 (.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

To: Michael.SF.

I was surprised Tom Waits wasn’t inducted years ago. I’m addicted to his music. Cold, Cold Ground is one of my favorites too. Never Let Go is amazing, anytime you can work St Peter and Judas into a song, that’s a feat.

40 posted on 12/15/2010 8:08:50 AM PST by sox_the_cat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

The overexposure of AM radio top 40 formats did to me regarding Neil Diamond, what the guy in Clockwork Orange experienced after his therapy sessions.

One look or note of the guy made me ill. Decades gone by have helped. Time heals all wrongs.

41 posted on 12/15/2010 8:09:19 AM PST by blackdog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 32 | View Replies]

Since you are the one who posed the analogy, you should not be all that surprised that someone understood the reference.

(That, and a lot of us here are old enough to have had Baldwin’s “Famous Stories Retold” as a childhood companion.)

42 posted on 12/15/2010 8:12:35 AM PST by shibumi (Trailerpark Viking Overlord Pablo (with His Dark Yet Whimsical Band of Cut Throats))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 38 | View Replies]

To: sox_the_cat

...bugers, fries.....what kind o’ pies?

43 posted on 12/15/2010 8:15:15 AM PST by shibumi (Trailerpark Viking Overlord Pablo (with His Dark Yet Whimsical Band of Cut Throats))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 40 | View Replies]

I like Neil Diamond, but the RRHOF has about as much legitimacy as the Nobel Peace Prize....until Rush is in there.

44 posted on 12/15/2010 8:20:32 AM PST by rottndog (Be Prepared for what's coming AFTER America....)

To: dfwgator

How can you say no to the guy who did “Cherry Cherry”, “I’m A Believer”, and “Thank The Lord For The Night Time”. He deserves to be in the RRHOF.

45 posted on 12/15/2010 8:23:58 AM PST by princeofdarkness (The Obama Administration is circling the wagons. But the Truth Indians are using flaming arrows.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: rottndog
I like Neil Diamond, but the RRHOF has about as much legitimacy as the Nobel Peace Prize....until Rush is in there.

Being a DJ in Pittsburgh doesn't seem worthy of the RRHOF.

46 posted on 12/15/2010 8:26:44 AM PST by dfwgator (Welcome to the Gator Nation Will Muschamp)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 44 | View Replies]

Not this Rush...

THIS RUSH:

47 posted on 12/15/2010 8:33:43 AM PST by rottndog (Be Prepared for what's coming AFTER America....)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 46 | View Replies]

I agree. His songwriting stuff should have gotten him in on its own.

I know a lot of it sounds silly, and is not “hard” rock, but if you put a play list of all of his stuff, back to back, you could listen for a long time and still hear stuff you know.

Hall of Fame’s on the other hand are a scam. They just add folks whom they think will draw a crowd to their museum.

Once in a while it would be nice for the Sports halls of fame to just say, “Nope, no one got in this year,” instead of diluting the honor.

48 posted on 12/15/2010 8:33:43 AM PST by Vermont Lt (Don't taze my junk bro.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: rottndog

LOL, I was just joshing with you.

49 posted on 12/15/2010 8:34:55 AM PST by dfwgator (Welcome to the Gator Nation Will Muschamp)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 47 | View Replies]

To: Vermont Lt

A lot of bands covered his songs in the 60s as well, “Deep Purple” did ‘Kentucky Woman’ for one.

50 posted on 12/15/2010 8:35:44 AM PST by dfwgator (Welcome to the Gator Nation Will Muschamp)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 48 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-73 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson