Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Weekly Cooking Thread (Happy New Year) Jan 1, 2011
FreeRepublic | Jan 1, 2011 | libertarian27

Posted on 01/01/2011 8:11:53 AM PST by libertarian27

Happy New Year!

Weekly cooking thread to start the new year. What was your favorite recipe in 2010? Please share and make it a fellow FReepers favorite recipe for 2011.

What are you making this week? Have a favorite left-over recipe idea for all those roasts and big dinner leftovers? Trying something new, need a new tried and true recipe?

Let's get cooking.

TOPICS: Chit/Chat; Food; Hobbies; Reference
KEYWORDS: baking; cooking; food; recipes; weeklycookingthread
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101-110 next last

1 posted on 01/01/2011 8:11:57 AM PST by libertarian27
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: FrdmLvr; TN4Liberty; Daisyjane69; HungarianGypsy; SouthDixie; illiac; EQAndyBuzz; momtothree; ...

Weekly Cooking Thread Ping List

Happy New Year!

(to be added/deleted to the list please just drop a FReep Mail)

2 posted on 01/01/2011 8:14:52 AM PST by libertarian27 (Ingsoc: Department of Life, Department of Liberty, Department of Happiness)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: libertarian27
What are you making this week?

Given the state of the economy... squirrel and powdermilk biscuits are still on the menu.

johnny

3 posted on 01/01/2011 8:18:05 AM PST by JRandomFreeper (Gone Galt)

To: JRandomFreeper

I hear you! Have a recipe? :>)

I have never stretched a whole chicken as much as I have this year - the hard part is making meals that are different enough to not be boring.

I even grind my own hamburger now - large cuts of beef are cheaper than the packaged ground.....big plus is it’s WAY better - glad I started.

4 posted on 01/01/2011 8:28:54 AM PST by libertarian27 (Ingsoc: Department of Life, Department of Liberty, Department of Happiness)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Standard a la francais. Dust the meat with flour, brown with equal weight of mirepoix. Add liquid (water, if that's all you have. Beer, wine, or coffee are better). Oven cook slow. Add starches if you have them.

/johnny

5 posted on 01/01/2011 8:33:28 AM PST by JRandomFreeper (Gone Galt)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Wonderful use for those spiral-cut ham bones.

Split Pea Soup

Split green peas, 16 oz bag, sorted and rinsed
Large ham bone
6 cups chicken broth or base w/water
4 big carrots
4 stalks celery
2 onions
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 Tbsp. dried thyme

Simmer for one hour. You can attack it w/immersion blender if you like.

Heaven in a bowl.

6 posted on 01/01/2011 8:39:56 AM PST by Silentgypsy

Left Over Prime Rib Stroganoff

1 1/2 pounds cubed left over prime rib, cut into thin strips
All-purpose flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, sliced
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can beef broth
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
Salt and black pepper
1 cup sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste
Cooked egg noodles or rice
Directions
Season the prime rib strips with salt and pepper, then dust with flour. In a large skillet, quickly brown them on both sides in the olive oil and butter. Remove the prime rib from the pan. Add the onion slices and mushrooms to the pan drippings. Saute for a few minutes, until the onion is tender. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon flour. Put the steak back into the pan with the onion and mushrooms. Add the mushroom soup and beef broth. Cook over low heat for about 30 minutes, covered. Adjust seasoning to taste, adding salt and pepper, as needed. Stir in the sour cream the last few minutes, right before you serve. Serve over cooked noodles or rice.

7 posted on 01/01/2011 8:41:20 AM PST by illiac (If we don't change directions soon, we'll get where we're going)

Do you grind chuck or another cut and how do you determine the amount of fat that you grind in?

8 posted on 01/01/2011 8:42:36 AM PST by Silentgypsy

Oops! Happy New Year and thanks!

9 posted on 01/01/2011 8:43:48 AM PST by Silentgypsy

We’re having our New Year dinner tomorrow. I’m making crab meat sauteed with butter, green pepper, and onion (we can’t help ourselves...we’re from Maryland), baked potatoes, garlic green beans, and apple pie. Yum yum!

10 posted on 01/01/2011 8:44:40 AM PST by Wage Slave (Army Mom!)

Do you have a ping list for these threads? If so, I’d love to be added.

Not really a human recipe, but for those with pets:

Our vet said our dogs had to lose weight and rather than regular treats to give them green beans, carrots and sweet potatoes.

So hubby started buying sweet potatoes, baking them as normal and slicing them into rounds and long strips (using mandolin for long strips) and then dehydrating them.

Not only do the dogs love them, but they’re much, much cheaper than regular dog treats! PLUS they are losing weight!

11 posted on 01/01/2011 8:50:53 AM PST by leapfrog0202 ("the American presidency is not supposed to be a journey of personal discovery" Sarah Palin)

To: leapfrog0202

And does anyone have a recipe for mashed potatoes with cheese and green/red chiles?

I had this side dish at an Abuelo’s restaurant in TX last week and it was fantastic!

12 posted on 01/01/2011 8:52:57 AM PST by leapfrog0202 ("the American presidency is not supposed to be a journey of personal discovery" Sarah Palin)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: hennie pennie

*bookmark*

13 posted on 01/01/2011 8:54:00 AM PST by hennie pennie

This one might do the trick....good luck

Red Potatoes, boiled with skin on
small can chopped green chiles
sour cream
cream cheese
cheddar cheese
Monterey Jack cheese
and any other Mexican cheese you can think of
a little milk but not as much as you would in regular mashed potatoes.

Fork mash all the ingredients together and yum yum. I promise its just like Abuelos.

14 posted on 01/01/2011 8:57:59 AM PST by illiac (If we don't change directions soon, we'll get where we're going)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

If the answer isn’t here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=+potatoes+cheese++%28green+OR+red%29+chilies++%2BAbuelo%27s

You might try their Facebook page.

15 posted on 01/01/2011 9:01:22 AM PST by hennie pennie

Today is Mama’s meatballs.

During Passover, Mama made meatballs to go with the turkey and other fine Passover foods.

Over the years, I modified the recipe a bit where I could keep the flavor but take the Kosher out of the equation. Cans of Rokeach or Manishevitz soups and sauces are very expensive and I only use the for the holidays.

3 lbs chop meat 80/20
1 large onion - minced save liquid that onion will give off.
1 small onion - minced
Italian style bread crumbs
Ketchup
2 eggs
3-4 jars of Tomato Basil sauce
1 jar Tomato mushroom sauce
Salt & pepper to taste

In pot saute small onion in olive oil. Salt and pepper. Cook it down a bit. Add all sauce to pot. Lower heat and simmer.

In bowl, add chopmeat, onion, onion juice, and 2 eggs and mix with hands. Add salt and pepper. For ketchup and bread crumbs you have to feel this. There is no set amount. Put some ketchup in, mix and taste a piece of chopmeat. If you can taste the ketchup that will be enough. For bread crumbs, you add them until you can form a meatball.

Make meatballs a bit smaller than golf balls.

Put meatballs directly into the sauce. Cook for 2 hours, stirring every now and then so the bottom of the pot doesn’t burn.

The idea here is for the fat from the meat, the onion and the sauce to infuse back into the meatballs.

Put into a large bowl and chow down.

Note: These aren’t spaghetti and meatballs meatballs. That is heresy.

Enjoy and Happy New Year.

16 posted on 01/01/2011 9:05:51 AM PST by EQAndyBuzz ( Happy Freeping New Year)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Quick and Easy Panzanella Salad

3-4 cups store-made croutons or crostinni (Bakery dept)
1/3 cup Kens or Newman’s olive oil vinaigrette ( or other better quality olive oil vinaigrette)
1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato pesto or spread (usually in Produce dept.)
1 teaspoon capers, drained (non pareil = small ones)
1 7-ounce can camponata (eggplant appetizer)
2 or 3 grinds of fresh black pepper (1/4 teaspoon)
1 teaspoon chopped garlic (fresh is best)
1/4 cup roasted red peppers (Mancini, B&G, etc.)
4 small ripe plum tomatoes (1 cup chopped)
1 small orange or yellow or green bell pepper (1/2 cup chopped)
1 small red onion (1/2 cup chopped)
1 head butter or bibb lettuce ( a bag blend works too)
1 tablespoon flat leaf (Italian) parsley, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh basil, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons shredded Asiago or Parmesan cheese.

(I purposely did not add any additional salt because of the salt in some of the ingredients)

In a large bowl, toss croutons with 1/3 cup olive oil vinaigrette, sundried tomato pesto, capers, camponata, salt, pepper, and garlic.
Slice roasted red peppers, tomatoes, bell peppers and onion into bite-size pieces, add to bowl.
Gently toss salad being careful to not breakup croutons to much. (Allow salad to stand for 10-15 minutes or until croutons have softened slightly.)
Place butter lettuce leaves on a large platter and top with salad mixture.
Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and basil and cheese.

Tip; You can also dress this salad up with a few bouquets of fresh basil and rosettes made with curled up additional pieces of the roasted red peppers.

17 posted on 01/01/2011 9:06:28 AM PST by John 3_19-21 (Content pulled and being reviewed by FCC)

To: illiac

Thanks much!

18 posted on 01/01/2011 9:08:30 AM PST by leapfrog0202 ("the American presidency is not supposed to be a journey of personal discovery" Sarah Palin)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

Since we have had the woodstove going nonstop for the past week, we’ve been experimenting with woodstove cookery using cast iron cookware. Using our Dutch Oven we have roasted chicken, pork roast and a nice bean soup, and we made some cornbread for breakfast yesterday. It works very well and there’s no need to heat up the stove or the oven.

The chicken we roasted was dressed with an onion and fresh sage, and that was it. 2 hours on the stovetop and it was done to a turn...

19 posted on 01/01/2011 9:10:50 AM PST by Bean Counter (Stout Hearts...)

To: Andy'smom; bradactor; politicalwit; Spunky; mplsconservative; boadecelia; freeangel; ...

**Freeper Kitchen Ping**

20 posted on 01/01/2011 9:18:53 AM PST by HungarianGypsy

To: Bean Counter
>>>>> "Since we have had the woodstove going nonstop for the past week, we've been experimenting with woodstove cookery using cast iron cookware. It works very well and there's no need to heat up the stove or the oven." <<<<<

So ... is your woodstove only used for times when you require extra heat in your house? What model stove did you get? Do you notice any interior soot when using it, or not?

21 posted on 01/01/2011 9:18:53 AM PST by hennie pennie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

I can’t remember the official name, but I call it “Cauliflower St. Louis.” The original recipe calls for 3-4 fresh tomatoes. In the winter I prefer to use canned.

Dice half and onion, 3 slices of bacon and a clove of garlic. Saute over medium heat in olive oil until onions are translucent. Add half a small can of diced tomatoes and half a can of crushed tomatoes. Cook on medium/low heat about twenty minutes. Meanwhile, blanch one head of chopped cauliflower. Mix the sauce and the cauliflower together. Top with grated parmesan cheese if desired.

This reheats well and is addictive cold.

22 posted on 01/01/2011 9:19:30 AM PST by PrincessB (Drill Baby Drill.)

CHICKEN MARSALA

Ingredients:

4 chicken breasts

2 shallots or 1 med. onion

15 oz. of white mushrooms

1.5 cups of Marsala wine

Half a lemon

Flour for dredging

Olive oil, salt, pepper

1 pound Barilla pasta (Linguini Fini or Angel Hair pasta. I like angle hair pasta because it leaves more room for the dish itself.)

Instructions:

1. Slice each breast into two thin cutlets. Pound thin with a tenderizing mallet (or edge of plate). Then slice each cutlet in half, dredge in flour, salt and pepper on both sides, and saute in oil over medium heat (about 2 min. per side until golden brown).

2. When all of cutlets are lightly browned, add the marsala. Squeeze the lemon juice into the pan. Cover and simmer.

3. Dice the shallots or onion finely and chop the mushrooms. In a separate pan, saute the shallots or onion over a medium heat until they are soft and translucent. Add the mushrooms and cook together until the mushrooms have gotten soft and absorbed the oil.

4. Simmer the chicken until the vapor no longer smells alcoholic, salt to taste. The liquid should be reduced by about half (may be 15-20 minutes)*Add more Marsala wine as needed after the mixture has simmered a while. Add the mushrooms and shallots or onion, stir, cook for another minute, and serve over *pasta. *Note: time the cooking of the pasta so that it is ready just as the chicken is done. Drain, add some butter to the pasta and mix so that it does not stick.

Enjoy!

23 posted on 01/01/2011 9:19:58 AM PST by Jmouse007 (Lord deliver us from evil and from those perpetuating it, in Jesus name, amen.)

Thanks!

24 posted on 01/01/2011 9:21:16 AM PST by leapfrog0202 ("the American presidency is not supposed to be a journey of personal discovery" Sarah Palin)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

Thanks Hennie - never thought to look on FB. They said this is it:

Abuelo’s Papas con Chile™
3 lbs. red potatoes
3 oz cream cheese – cut into 2” squares
½ cup heavy cream
10 oz Velveeta – cut into 2 “ squares
½ TBS salt
¾ tsp granulated garlic
¼ cup sour cream
½ cup diced red bell peppers
½ cup diced green bell peppers
2 cans chopped green chiles
½ cup chopped green onion tops
2 TBS of finely chopped jalapeño – seeds removed

1.Wash and scrub potatoes until clean
2.Place potatoes in a pot covered with water and boil until soft.
3.Drain potatoes
4.Add the rest of ingredients and mash. Be sure all ingredients are incorporated.

25 posted on 01/01/2011 9:28:13 AM PST by leapfrog0202 ("the American presidency is not supposed to be a journey of personal discovery" Sarah Palin)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: HungarianGypsy

Gypsy could you add me to your ping list please? Thanks

26 posted on 01/01/2011 9:28:58 AM PST by leapfrog0202 ("the American presidency is not supposed to be a journey of personal discovery" Sarah Palin)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

Many pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts were purchased at a 1/2 price sale in June 2010.

The chicken breasts were all put into clean 1 pint canning jars and 1/4 tsp of salt was added along with boiled water to top up each of the canning jars to the correct jar level. I used a pressure cooker to process all of the jars at 10 pounds for 75 minutes. Then I stored all of the sealed jars in the basement away from direct light on shelves.

By request, I made chicken stew twice over these past holidays in a CROCK POT. I took 3 quarts of plain cold water and added one teaspoon of pepper corns and 1 1/2 chicken bullion cubes (OXO). I tossed in one medium onion cut into quarters, two cups of frozen mixed vegetables, three clean stalks of celery cut to 2 inch chunks, a bit less than one cup of uncooked brown rice, 1/2 cup of uncooked pot barley and then threw in the one pint of cooked chicken breast from the canning jars. I slow cooked it for about 8 hours in the CROCK POT.

The first batch disappeared in about 15 minutes amongst finicky eaters. The second batch I made lasted almost one day before it too was "vacuumed up".

I didn't quite have enough for myself and I've learned now to never, ever tell anyone in advance when I will be making chicken stew so I can enjoy it too.

Last night I wised up and had some cast iron pan fried chicken breast with a hint of mustard powder and garlic salt mixed with chopped onions along with a side of potatoes with Norwegian dill and another side of garden peas with a small pad of butter. It was good but it's now gone. :)

27 posted on 01/01/2011 9:29:15 AM PST by pyx (Rule#1.The LEFT lies.Rule#2.See Rule#1. IF THE LEFT CONTROLS THE LANGUAGE, IT CONTROLS THE ARGUMENT.)

Sounds delicious!

28 posted on 01/01/2011 9:32:04 AM PST by John 3_19-21 (Content pulled and being reviewed by FCC)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Thinly-sliced sweet potatoes are great deep-fried, but we haven’t lost any weight.

29 posted on 01/01/2011 9:32:39 AM PST by Silentgypsy

I even grind my own hamburger now - large cuts of beef are cheaper than the packaged ground

Who would ever have thought that ground beef would be higher priced than roasts. It's rare that I can find ground beef marked down to a reasonable price and we're starting to miss it.

Did anyone else notice there weren't any large 20+ lb turkeys this year (or at least I never found one). I always try to buy the largest bird I can find on sale but this year they were only 12 pounders. I'm thinking it's the economy and the farmers are looking for a quicker turn around. The Christmas turkey went from it's roasted form, to soup, a couple of sandwiches, and finally to a pot pie. Hope everyone remembered to boil the carcass for stock.

30 posted on 01/01/2011 9:44:28 AM PST by bgill (K Parliament- how could a young man born in Kenya who is not even a native American become the POTUS)

To: Silentgypsy

I love french fried sweet potatoes too.. at home I slice the potatoes in a fry manner.. toss with a little cinnamon and put on a foil covered baking sheet sprayed with a no calorie oil spray ...I also spray the tops of the potatoes ..and bake at 350..turning once.. it is a lower calorie fried sweet potato and it is very good :)

31 posted on 01/01/2011 9:49:04 AM PST by RnMomof7 (Gal 4:16 asks "Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

To: bgill

Here in Idaho, we had some turkeys in the 24 lb. ranges and lots of them in the 20 - 22 lb. range.

32 posted on 01/01/2011 9:49:18 AM PST by illiac (If we don't change directions soon, we'll get where we're going)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 30 | View Replies]

My family ADORES this recipe. I will say, however, I have no idea if it is “authentic” to my Southern neighbors. It does taste great!

SHRIMP CASSEROLE:
1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
1 1/2 lbs. medium size raw shrimp
1/2 cup butter
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 celery ribs, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
2 (10 3/4 oz. cans cream of celery soup or substitution cream of shrimp undiluted
1/4 tsp salt and pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar-colby cheese blend
1/4 cup breadcrumbs

Prepare rice according to package. Peel an devein shrimp. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add bell pepper and next 4 ingredients, saute 10-12 minutes or until tender. Stir in soup, shrimp, salt and pepper and cook 3 minutes or just until shrimp turns pink. Don’t overcook. Combine shrimp mixture, and rice. Pour mixture into a lightly greased 13x9 inch baking dish. Sprinkle evenly the cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until cheese is melted.

I usually double this recipe and bake a HUGE pan of it. It does very well the next day as well. Enjoy!

33 posted on 01/01/2011 9:52:06 AM PST by momtothree

To: Silentgypsy
Do you grind chuck or another cut and how do you determine the amount of fat that you grind in?

At this point I'm winging it, I don't have a proper grinder yet but I am pulsing the meat in a food processor and freezing portions for later use...it's not perfectly ground but works great in dishes that call for hamburger.

I pretty much cut all the fat off the roasts and have used chuck, bottom-top round, sirloin, london broil, etc. anything that is on sale.

When hamburger is $4-$5 per lb and a roast can be bought for $2-$3 per lb - I scratched my head and went 'hey, I can grind hamburger, why am I paying so much for stupid hamburger'

34 posted on 01/01/2011 9:56:36 AM PST by libertarian27 (Ingsoc: Department of Life, Department of Liberty, Department of Happiness)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

That’s good. These little 12 pounders just don’t last any time and I haven’t been able to put up any leftovers in the freezer.

35 posted on 01/01/2011 10:01:17 AM PST by bgill (K Parliament- how could a young man born in Kenya who is not even a native American become the POTUS)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 32 | View Replies]

Thank you for adding me to your list. Sorry I missed last weeks thread, but with a new grandchild and the holidays upon us I was a bit overwhelmed.

Several years ago I stumbled upon a cookbook called “Smoke and Spice”. It turned me onto the world of real BBQ. My favorite recipe is a rub that works for most meats, but especially pork.

3/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup course ground black pepper
1/4 cup salt (Sea Salt works best for me. If you use table salt reduce to 1/8 cup)
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbs chili powder
2 tbs garlic powder
2 tbs onion powder
2 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)

Take a medium to large pork roast and slice into one inch steaks. Rub the meat and let it sit in fridge for at least three hours. Works best on a grill with medium high heat. Although it’s not as tasty you can bake it an oven.

36 posted on 01/01/2011 10:03:17 AM PST by Sparky21555

To: RnMomof7

Thank you for the heart-and-waistline-friendly method. How long does it take to get the outsides crispy and the insides creamy?

37 posted on 01/01/2011 10:12:53 AM PST by Silentgypsy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 31 | View Replies]

To: PrincessB

Sounds addictive hot, too! :)

38 posted on 01/01/2011 10:15:54 AM PST by Silentgypsy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 22 | View Replies]

To: Wage Slave

Heavenly! Do you get frozen, fresh or canned crab?

39 posted on 01/01/2011 10:18:30 AM PST by Silentgypsy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: pyx

Please excuse my ignorance: Did you cube the chicken and/or cook/process it in some way before you canned it? (Still have to learn canning.)

40 posted on 01/01/2011 10:23:08 AM PST by Silentgypsy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 27 | View Replies]

I bought a couple big 8 lb pork loins on sale a couple weeks ago. At less than $2/lb and boneless, you can’t go wrong. Slice it for boneless chops and leave a chunk of it for a roast. I roasted one last night and marinated it several hours in orange juice and dried cranberries. It come out ok but not post worthy.

Wooo, meat is going up. The end of summer, fajita seasoned chicken could be found for just over $2/lb but yesterday it was doubled at nearly $4.50. I also noticed that the little canned meat snack thingies (good to grab when you don’t have time to pack a lunch) are getting repackaged with a 25%+ price hike so I bought a bunch of the one flavor they still had of the old packaging. The New Year’s Resolution for us all should be to keep stocking up.

41 posted on 01/01/2011 10:23:27 AM PST by bgill (K Parliament- how could a young man born in Kenya who is not even a native American become the POTUS)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 34 | View Replies]

Easy and delicious.

Spaghetti Carbonara

Ingredients

Serves 4 to 6

* 1 pound spaghetti
* 1/4-1/2 pound bacon, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces (I use 1/4 lb.)
* 2-3 large eggs (I use 2 large eggs)
* 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving (optional)
* Freshly ground black pepper

Directions

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat and cook the spaghetti. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium-low heat until just crispy, 8 to 10 minutes. Skim off some of the fat. Drain the pasta, add to the bacon in the pan, and toss to combine.
2. Whisk together the eggs, cheese, and pepper in a small bowl. Pour into the (hot) pasta, and immediately combine thoroughly. (The hot pasta cooks the egg mixture.) Serve immediately with extra grated cheese, if desired.

42 posted on 01/01/2011 10:24:24 AM PST by maggief

To: momtothree

I LOVE those casseroles!

43 posted on 01/01/2011 10:33:11 AM PST by the lastbestlady (I now believe that we have two lives; the life we learn with and the life we live with after that.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 33 | View Replies]

I really acquired a taste for bulgur this year. It fits into my diet wonderfully with good fiber and protein, is delicious, and takes on savory spices very well. Did I mention I can find it in the bulk foods item at my favorite grocery store and it's $1.79 per pound? It's even cheaper at the discount grocery store.

Anyway, make it like you would rice, 1 cup bulgur to 2 cups water. I always substitute 1 cup of chicken broth for one of the cups of water.

For 1 cup of uncooked bulgur, add 1 tsp of turmeric, and 1 tsp of crushed red pepper. That is the perfect amount of heat for me, personally. It has a wonderful layer of warmth without being overpowering. I have found I can double the recipe with no problem - the cooking time remains the same.

BTB, RTS. Cook for 12 minutes.

I will cool it in the fridge for tabbouleh, or eat it hot with diced chicken or some other protein. Yum!
44 posted on 01/01/2011 10:35:55 AM PST by andyk (Hi, my name's Andy, and I am a BF 1942 / Desert Combat junkie.)

I got this recipe off a radio recipe show back in the early 80’s - this is my favorite and it’s always my birthday meal - I just ate a piece of leftovers - too good!

Spinach Mushroom Lasagna

1 lb Lasagna Noodles (I make 4 layers = 16)
2 - 10 ounce pkg Frozen Spinach
1 cup chopped Onions
2 cloves Garlic
12 ounces fresh Mushrooms
1 stick Butter
2 cups light cream
3 cups shredded Mozzarella
1/4 cup Flour
2 lbs Ricotta
3 eggs
1 cup Parmesan
1/3 cup chopped Parsley

Boil the noodles - set aside
Cook Spinach and drain well - set aside

Sauce:
In large skillet melt butter, add onions, mushrooms, garlic; cook until tender. Sprinkle flour over all, mix to incorporate. Gradually add the 2 cups of cream, stirring well. Cook 3-4 minutes until thick - add spinach-stir.

Cheese filling:
Combine ricotta, parmesan, 2 cups mozzarella, parsley and eggs - mix well.

Lightly grease 9X12 lasagna pan
One layer of noodles on bottom of pan
Spinach mixture - ricotta mixture - noodles - For 3-4 layers

Sprinkle remaining mozzarella on top
350’ oven for 35-40 minutes - remove, let rest for @10 min.

(If you see you are running out of sauce to fully coat the top layer -{I always get to that point} add some milk to make more of a sauce covering)

45 posted on 01/01/2011 10:46:19 AM PST by libertarian27 (Ingsoc: Department of Life, Department of Liberty, Department of Happiness)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 42 | View Replies]

If you have a KitchenAid mixer, get the grinder attachment. I use mine often. It’s great for 10 pounds or less and cleans easily.

46 posted on 01/01/2011 10:52:23 AM PST by PrincessB (Drill Baby Drill.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 34 | View Replies]

Abuelo’s Papas con Chile™

In response to many requests, Abuelo’s Chef Luis graciously supplied recipe for Facebook so fans can make them at home.

METHOD Wash and scrub 3 lbs. red potatoes clean. Place potatoes in pot; cover with water; boil til soft. Drain.

Add 3 oz cream cheese – in 2" squares, ½ cup heavy cream, 10 oz Velveeta – in 2 " squares, ½ TBS salt ¾ tsp granulated garlic, ¼ cup sour cream, ½ cup diced red bell peppers, ½ cup diced green bell peppers, 2 cans chopped green chiles, ½ cup chopped green onion tops, 2 TBS of finely chopped seeded jalapeño.

Mash well til all ingredients are incorporated.

47 posted on 01/01/2011 10:53:17 AM PST by Liz (There's a new definition of bipartisanship in Washington -- it's called "former member.")

To: All
Make these delicious Christmassy confections in no time. Nice addition to cookie platters.

Mint Cookie Candies / makes 48 cookies

START Micro-melt 12 oz coarse-chp white candy coating, 4 tsp shortening, stir smooth. Stir in 1/4 tsp green food color.

FINISH Pour evenly into 48 miniature muffin-cup paper or foil liners. Sprinkle w/ crumbled mint-flavored creme-filled chocolate sandwich cookies (mint Oreos). Pour melted Andes mint candies over cookie crumbs. Let set.

MINT TOPPING Micro-melt 2-4 2/3 oz pkg Andes mint candies, 2 tsp shortening; stir smooth.

48 posted on 01/01/2011 11:04:18 AM PST by Liz (There's a new definition of bipartisanship in Washington -- it's called "former member.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 47 | View Replies]

To: pyx

When you pressure canned the meat, did you cube it?

Did you cook it first or did you put it in raw and process it letting it cook that way?

I’ve pressure canned chicken breast but what I do is make chicken stock first and then dice up the meat and add the meat and stock and then pressure can it.

I’ve heard that you can just cut up the meat and put it in the jars as is, without water, and pressure can it that way. Is that correct, do you know?

49 posted on 01/01/2011 11:13:13 AM PST by metmom (Welfare was never meant to be a career choice.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 27 | View Replies]

To: bgill

I saw plenty of 20+ pound turkeys this year in the local Wegmans.

50 posted on 01/01/2011 11:14:24 AM PST by metmom (Welfare was never meant to be a career choice.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 30 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101-110 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson