Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Is something up with Free Republic?

Posted on 01/08/2011 4:56:12 PM PST by Artcore

Am I the only one having problems connecting to Free Republic today?

TOPICS: Computers/Internet
KEYWORDS: fr; freerepublic; whinger
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-100101-150151-200201-219 next last
To: Nik Naym

I did NOT create that, sorry if I misled anyone. I got it as a forward, copied and pasted it here.

It’s a hoot.

I like

Talk to you louder = TTYL

101 posted on 01/08/2011 9:29:26 PM PST by Joya (Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 100 | View Replies]

To: Artcore

The issues the site is having were discussed at length in this thread:

Dear Free Republic - are you under attack?
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2653268/posts

You aren’t the only one.

If this thread is anything like that one, you will probably be attacked for wondering what is going on, and if anything is being done about it. This is really a shame on a number of levels.

I admit to not having looked at the hundred-odd posts in this thread about this.

102 posted on 01/08/2011 9:40:40 PM PST by FreedomPoster (Islam delenda est.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: DJ MacWoW; paulycy

I hope you both don’t mind me pinging you to this thread. I thought you would find the comments interesting for different reasons.

103 posted on 01/08/2011 9:44:04 PM PST by FreedomPoster (Islam delenda est.)

To: ErnBatavia

I’m glad to see other long-time FReepers jumping in on this.

See the thread I linked a few posts above. Several of us got jumped on by a few for bringing these problems up. Apparently we are just whiners and should shut up. Not happening AFAIAC.

104 posted on 01/08/2011 9:46:31 PM PST by FreedomPoster (Islam delenda est.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 42 | View Replies]

To: devane617

“I certainly did not mean to say anything that would warrant a flaming, but simply stated the truth.”

And you didn’t, but I’ve expressed similar, equally-mild dissatisfaction and was flamed by several zealots as though I’d committed unspeakable blasphemy.

105 posted on 01/08/2011 9:47:20 PM PST by Magic Fingers
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 60 | View Replies]

To: Jim Robinson
To those who wish to leave because of it, see ya.

I can see that some folk here have never worked with computers "Back in the day" where boot up took 30 to 45 minutes and orderly shut down took nearly as long.
Sometimes it's slow, but I can take it ;^)

106 posted on 01/08/2011 9:49:13 PM PST by The Cajun
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 66 | View Replies]

To: FreedomPoster

Thanks...I’ll check it out.

107 posted on 01/08/2011 9:53:46 PM PST by Artcore
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 102 | View Replies]

To: The Cajun

Well, the good news is we seem to be back up to speed.

108 posted on 01/08/2011 9:55:09 PM PST by Jim Robinson (Rebellion is brewing!! Nuke the corrupt commie bastards to HELL!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 106 | View Replies]

Noticed that, tell John thanks!

109 posted on 01/08/2011 10:18:26 PM PST by The Cajun
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 108 | View Replies]

I was too. It’s smooth this late at night. I guess the Server it’s on can only handle so many people on it?

110 posted on 01/08/2011 11:23:57 PM PST by Sprite518

To: Lazlo in PA

LOL! Wow talk about flash back to the 80s.. Thanks!

111 posted on 01/08/2011 11:27:34 PM PST by Sprite518
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 77 | View Replies]

Whoop!!!!!!!!!!!

Good news!

112 posted on 01/08/2011 11:43:38 PM PST by bonfire

To those who wish to leave because of it, see ya.

Yeah, and I'm gonna abandon my house because a sliding door jumps it's track. ;-)

113 posted on 01/09/2011 3:24:28 AM PST by humblegunner (Blogger Overlord)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 66 | View Replies]

My pleasure, Artcore.

114 posted on 01/09/2011 4:10:02 AM PST by VermiciousKnid (Sic narro nos totus!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 81 | View Replies]

To: ErnBatavia; onyx

Yup. During a Freepathon is the best time to launch a DOS attack. Especially since FR lost a server a few crashes ago. The left is so clever. Look at all the grumbles and blame directed at FR. Take em down hard and often is the left’s motto. It’ll discourage those right wingers!

115 posted on 01/09/2011 5:51:35 AM PST by DJ MacWoW (America! The wolves are at your door! How will you answer the knock?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 42 | View Replies]

To: Silentgypsy

You’re absolutely right FRiend. Add to that a fried server and some slimed software from a crash and you have FR’s current situation.

116 posted on 01/09/2011 5:52:59 AM PST by DJ MacWoW (America! The wolves are at your door! How will you answer the knock?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 43 | View Replies]

To: devane617; is_is; Jim Robinson; onyx
but this time you are dead wrong....

Tell me, have you ever had to track down an issue on a multi server system while it's in use AND under attack?

117 posted on 01/09/2011 5:58:02 AM PST by DJ MacWoW (America! The wolves are at your door! How will you answer the knock?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 70 | View Replies]

Run a virus check of your system. I get a Norton message telling me a virus has been blocked after I go to FR. I ran Malbytes to back check my system and a few viruses were found and eliminated and my computer speed back up.

118 posted on 01/09/2011 5:58:49 AM PST by jetson

To: FreedomPoster; onyx
Several of us got jumped on by a few for bringing these problems up.

Yeah. FR was unaware there were issues so you had to tell them. /s

119 posted on 01/09/2011 6:02:10 AM PST by DJ MacWoW (America! The wolves are at your door! How will you answer the knock?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 104 | View Replies]

To: Sprite518
I guess the Server it’s on can only handle so many people on it?

Server? Try 8 servers. Well 7 since we fried one. And each has a specific job. Jim has listed all this kind of stuff before. If you want to know what's being said, check the Bosses posting history for info. :-)

120 posted on 01/09/2011 6:04:56 AM PST by DJ MacWoW (America! The wolves are at your door! How will you answer the knock?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 110 | View Replies]

To: DJ MacWoW; John Robinson; Jim Robinson

Everyone is edgy about this issue. You, DJ MacWoW, appear to be the most vocally defensive about these issues and also appear to have inside information. I don’t know anything about FR but what I read on the forum.

Underlying all of this anxiety is the matter of future incarnations of FreeRepublic.com. What happens when this current perl technology is completely outdated or breaks for the last time?

Does FR go away? Does Jim pull the plug on the whole thing? Does John ride off into the sunset? Is there an existing plan to rewrite FR in a more modern language? Should there be a volunteer task force to look into it? Or does Jim think it’s none of our damn business?

All most of us want in this matter is a responsible and visible roadmap to the future stable technology of FR.

Since we donate we feel this is an appropriate request. There’s nothing personal or anti-conservative about it.

121 posted on 01/09/2011 6:16:09 AM PST by paulycy (The Constitution is a Formal Contract. Live up to it or lose your job, Congress.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 120 | View Replies]

Me too, it is the first place over a million of us come when something big breaks. Because we know the MSM will be spinning, and looping the news, where as we can start getting facts faster here. We beat the news that he was a left wing nut case. Course they were more interested in going after Sarah and the Tea Party, than in reporting facts.

People are also still trying to post news articles of other import at the same time. It is a no win situation. It is very frustrating when we try to access and can’t.

And we forget that the left has hackers who attack FR on a regular basis to bring it down.

And we forget that new equipment is needed from time to time and that the equipment is expensive, above and beyond the monthly money needed for upkeep.

We did a special FReepathon several years ago to update some equipment. But haven’t done another one since.

122 posted on 01/09/2011 6:21:56 AM PST by GailA (2012 rally cry DEMOCRATS and RINOS are BAD for the USA!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 88 | View Replies]

To: paulycy; John Robinson; Jim Robinson
and also appear to have inside information.

Because, as I have stated, I read Jim Robinsons posting history after an event. It's not hard to get info. You just have to look for it.

Since we donate we feel this is an appropriate request.

No one is forced to donate or be a Freeper. I'm simply tired of the bellyaching. Jim clearly stated almost a year ago that we lost a server and some software in a crash. I got the info by LOOKING FOR IT.

Also these endless vanities let the left know that their attack is WORKING. Wanna go to Kos and DU and tell them in case they MISSED THE INFO?!

123 posted on 01/09/2011 6:23:35 AM PST by DJ MacWoW (America! The wolves are at your door! How will you answer the knock?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 121 | View Replies]

To: DJ MacWoW

To be frank, I just want it to work, like just about every other web site when I click on it. I could careless about the details. A fried Server is not even on my list of life concerns... Just saying...

124 posted on 01/09/2011 6:24:38 AM PST by Sprite518
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 120 | View Replies]

To: onyx

Maybe since we have gained so many new FReepers it would be a good idea to upgrade to a higher capacity system...I remember the bugs we had to go through the last time we went through a system up grade.

But if it will stop the overloading it would be worth it.

125 posted on 01/09/2011 6:26:13 AM PST by GailA (2012 rally cry DEMOCRATS and RINOS are BAD for the USA!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 30 | View Replies]

I got the info by LOOKING FOR IT.

We all read the forums, too, you know. If you know nothing more than the rest of us do who read the forums, then your kneejerk defenses are only stirring up arguments without any benefit to anyone. You produce heat with no light. You are not helping matters any.

126 posted on 01/09/2011 6:27:24 AM PST by paulycy (The Constitution is a Formal Contract. Live up to it or lose your job, Congress.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 123 | View Replies]

Net Neutrality in action...

127 posted on 01/09/2011 6:28:01 AM PST by CarryaBigStick (My office is an Airtractor 402)

To be frank, I just want it to work, like just about every other web site when I click on it.

And you are comparing corporate systems with an unlimited budget with a grassroots system with member donations. FR is TRULY grassroots. Btw, how many attacks do you think those other systems fend off on a daily basis? You are comparing apples and oranges.

128 posted on 01/09/2011 6:29:50 AM PST by DJ MacWoW (America! The wolves are at your door! How will you answer the knock?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 124 | View Replies]

To: paulycy; Jim Robinson; onyx
We all read the forums, too, you know.

Do you check the Bosses posting history for info?

You are not helping matters any.

And the grumblers and complainers are? Look at this thread. How many are crying that they're leaving FR because it doesn't run the way they think it should? Do you think that delights the hackers? You bet! It's their endgame, shut down FR! Your complaints, without taking into consideration the issues, are music to their ears. Congratulations!

129 posted on 01/09/2011 6:35:19 AM PST by DJ MacWoW (America! The wolves are at your door! How will you answer the knock?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 126 | View Replies]

Look at this thread. How many are crying that they're leaving FR because it doesn't run the way they think it should?

Do YOU think it runs the way it should?

130 posted on 01/09/2011 6:42:47 AM PST by paulycy (The Constitution is a Formal Contract. Live up to it or lose your job, Congress.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 129 | View Replies]

According to Alexa Free Republic is ranked 4,325 most hit site.

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/freerepublic.com

At any rate, web traffic seems about the same. Do you have any proof that attacks have spiked or is it just the 1 down Server. This was the ONLY site that has been doing this as of late. Never was much of an issue before.

131 posted on 01/09/2011 6:43:32 AM PST by Sprite518
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 128 | View Replies]

To: paulycy; Jim Robinson; onyx
Do YOU think it runs the way it should?

While crippled and under a DOS attack? I'm surprised we are up at all. And what kind of stupid question is that? When did I ever say there were not issues? Freepers KNOW that FR has constant DNS/DOS attacks. And yet they grumble when the left wins one and they blame FR. Brilliant!

132 posted on 01/09/2011 6:46:45 AM PST by DJ MacWoW (America! The wolves are at your door! How will you answer the knock?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 130 | View Replies]

I’m glad you’re not a military general.

133 posted on 01/09/2011 6:50:10 AM PST by paulycy (The Constitution is a Formal Contract. Live up to it or lose your job, Congress.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 132 | View Replies]

Do you have any proof that attacks have spiked or is it just the 1 down Server.

Do you read Jim's posting history for info?

Never was much of an issue before.

It's ALWAYS been an issue. Last winter we were down for 2 days when the server fried.

Oh and there's this.

Freerepublic.com passes MSNBC.com in total site visits

134 posted on 01/09/2011 6:50:36 AM PST by DJ MacWoW (America! The wolves are at your door! How will you answer the knock?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 131 | View Replies]

To: paulycy

Not much of a thinker, are ya.

135 posted on 01/09/2011 6:51:38 AM PST by DJ MacWoW (America! The wolves are at your door! How will you answer the knock?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 133 | View Replies]

It gets completely frustrating that FR is either slow or down most of the time now.

Bigger sites don't have this problem. FR needs to come in out of the dark ages with their technology. There are ways to off set the costs other than FReepathons and FReepers have stated they would welcome those ways in order to have a working site.

We've been met with a "no thanks" response.

136 posted on 01/09/2011 6:53:09 AM PST by CAluvdubya (Don't retreat...reload!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 129 | View Replies]

DJ MacWOW!!!! - “Just because we seriously underperform whenever we are under pressure doesn’t mean we need to do anything different. Stop whining will ya? The enemy might hear us!”

A great victory you are having here. Your admirers are flocking to you.

137 posted on 01/09/2011 6:55:33 AM PST by paulycy (The Constitution is a Formal Contract. Live up to it or lose your job, Congress.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 135 | View Replies]

To: CAluvdubya
It gets completely frustrating that FR is either slow or down most of the time now.

There are more attacks now that FR is crippled.

Bigger sites don't have this problem.

Are the professional sites under attack?

FR needs to come in out of the dark ages with their technology.

There are now hacker proof servers? They resist DOS/DNS attacks? I didn't know that.

138 posted on 01/09/2011 7:02:36 AM PST by DJ MacWoW (America! The wolves are at your door! How will you answer the knock?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 136 | View Replies]

I have gotten cheering freepmail about slapping posters that have no clue what’s going on but pass judgment anyway. You expect FR to run perfectly while under attack. It doesn’t work that way. Other Freepers have stated that it is VERY difficult to near impossible to work on a running system let alone diagnose the problems. NO ONE is considering what’s going on. They just complain. And the left rejoices.

139 posted on 01/09/2011 7:07:24 AM PST by DJ MacWoW (America! The wolves are at your door! How will you answer the knock?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 137 | View Replies]

You expect FR to run perfectly while under attack...NO ONE is considering what’s going on

Your estimate of your fellow FReepers is as deficient as your debating strategy.

My guess is that you and I would agree on many, many things here on the forum. But the angry, defensive little rat hole you've dug for yourself here is not one of them.

Have an nice, angry, defensive and useless day if that is what pleases you. It is a Free Republic after all.

140 posted on 01/09/2011 7:12:49 AM PST by paulycy (The Constitution is a Formal Contract. Live up to it or lose your job, Congress.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 139 | View Replies]

Bigger sites with more volume don't have the kinds of down time we have.

time for a change to stay current is all. you keep attacking anyone that is not totally happy with donating to a site that doesn't get better!

You also say we are under DOS attack all the time. well, how does Drudge or Michelle Malkin or Lucianne handle all their traffic? Those sites represent the same things FR does and are under the same kinds of attacks yet they manage to stay online and speedy.....or are we not allowed to voice our discontent on FR?

141 posted on 01/09/2011 7:16:50 AM PST by CAluvdubya (Don't retreat...reload!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 138 | View Replies]

You’re just ticked that I made valid points that you hadn’t considered.

142 posted on 01/09/2011 7:19:15 AM PST by DJ MacWoW (America! The wolves are at your door! How will you answer the knock?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 140 | View Replies]

To: CAluvdubya; Billthedrill; hadit2here
Bigger sites with more volume don't have the kinds of down time we have.

You are comparing corporate sites with a grassroots site.

you keep attacking anyone that is not totally happy with donating to a site that doesn't get better!

Nope. They've been given info, don't understand it, and still whine. Most of these Freepers don't know what it takes to keep a site like FR going. There was another thread, a vanity, and knowledgeable techies who actually do this for a living posted info. It was enlightening. Post 97 Billthedrill Post 136 hadit2here.

Also money isn't always the problem. You can't fix what you can't find.......on a system in use.

how does Drudge or Michelle Malkin or Lucianne handle all their traffic?

If they have ads then they are corporate run which is a different animal.

or are we not allowed to voice our discontent on FR?

Being given info and ignoring isn't helping anyone. Expecting perfection is unrealistic. There are plenty of Freepers who "get it". Personally I think Jim should shut it down for diagnostic and repairs. But then there'd be complaints about THAT.

143 posted on 01/09/2011 7:30:52 AM PST by DJ MacWoW (America! The wolves are at your door! How will you answer the knock?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 141 | View Replies]

You’re just ticked that I made valid points that you hadn’t considered.

Reading other peoples' minds is not your strongest suit.

144 posted on 01/09/2011 7:34:38 AM PST by paulycy (The Constitution is a Formal Contract. Live up to it or lose your job, Congress.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 142 | View Replies]

And accurate info is yours?

Have a nice day.

145 posted on 01/09/2011 7:44:46 AM PST by DJ MacWoW (America! The wolves are at your door! How will you answer the knock?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 144 | View Replies]

And accurate info is yours?

If you'll re-read my posts you'll find that I mostly ask questions. That way I learn more than someone who spouts off post after post after post and doesn't notice what the other posters have asked...

146 posted on 01/09/2011 7:55:09 AM PST by paulycy (The Constitution is a Formal Contract. Live up to it or lose your job, Congress.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 145 | View Replies]

To: GailA

“This happens every time we get big news events lately...”

Not in my experience. It has run ridiculously slow (or not at all) when nothing special was going on, and has worked just fine when some big event occurred. It started yesterday for me before any announcement of the Tucson shooting.

147 posted on 01/09/2011 8:12:40 AM PST by Magic Fingers
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 85 | View Replies]

Thank you, Jim and John.

148 posted on 01/09/2011 8:13:29 AM PST by kitkat ( Obama: Hype and Chains.)

Amen and God Speed.

149 posted on 01/09/2011 8:14:58 AM PST by bmwcyle (It is Satan's fault)

JR spilled coffee on the servers again. lol

150 posted on 01/09/2011 8:15:35 AM PST by verity

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-100101-150151-200201-219 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson