Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Is something up with Free Republic?

Posted on 01/08/2011 4:56:12 PM PST by Artcore

Am I the only one having problems connecting to Free Republic today?

TOPICS: Computers/Internet
KEYWORDS: fr; freerepublic; whinger
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-100101-150151-200201-219 next last
To: weef

LOL You can leave but you know you’ll keep returning. I’ve learned to deal with it and hope Jim can keep it going and I still intend to donate every chance I get.

I dread the day FR is no longer here.

This is the only place one can get the nitty-gritty up to date
true news.

51 posted on 01/08/2011 6:06:51 PM PST by TribalPrincess2U (demonicRATS= Obama's Mosque, taxes, painful death. Is this what you want?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 44 | View Replies]

To: CaribouCrossing

>> It is well documented that...

If you were educated about what it takes to operate a high profile website (or any type of business), you might be less inclined to complain about FR and its limited budget.

BTW, FR’s availability is not perfect, but very good.

52 posted on 01/08/2011 6:09:49 PM PST by Gene Eric (Your Hope has been redistributed. Here's your Change.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 48 | View Replies]

To: null and void
Am I the only one having problems connecting to Free Republic today?

Yes...

Sorry but as a simple logic concept you can only answer NO (or I'm not). I'm having lots of problems with FR today. It's as slow as molasses. And I've tried it on two separate computers in two separate locations with different providers. FR definitely having problems. Maybe some left wing nerd is launching an attack. I know those types of cowardly creeps and they are capable of anything.
53 posted on 01/08/2011 6:18:37 PM PST by truthguy (Good intentions are not enough.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: Artcore

When you’re not sure if it’s just you, try this site:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=0h&oq=down&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4SUNA_enUS291US291&q=down+for+everyone+or+just+me

It’s actually called “Down for everyone or just me?”

Regards,

54 posted on 01/08/2011 6:18:47 PM PST by VermiciousKnid (Sic narro nos totus!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

In a word, YES!!

55 posted on 01/08/2011 6:24:44 PM PST by SoldierDad (Proud dad of an Army Soldier preparing to deploy to Afghanistan)

To: ErnBatavia

I agree with your assessment and I too am a regular contributor. Don’t know what it costs to run a large forum web page but I would think with proper hardware purchases and bandwith choices, smooth operation should be the norm.

Now the one factor that can not be easily overcome is liberal hackers and their unlimited time,twinkies and Red Bull

56 posted on 01/08/2011 6:27:09 PM PST by Cyman
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 42 | View Replies]

To: truthguy

Or I could be lying through my teeth...

57 posted on 01/08/2011 6:28:59 PM PST by null and void (We are now in day 718 of our national holiday from reality. - 0bama really isn't one of US.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 53 | View Replies]

To: truthguy

Or I could just be lying through my teeth...

58 posted on 01/08/2011 6:30:36 PM PST by null and void (We are now in day 718 of our national holiday from reality. - 0bama really isn't one of US.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 53 | View Replies]

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
59 posted on 01/08/2011 6:47:08 PM PST by peggybac (In the contemporary world, they pulled a pearl harbor. We need to pull a hiroshima.)

To: Magic Fingers; mylife; Artcore

I certainly did not mean to say anything that would warrant a flaming, but simply stated the truth. It’s been weeks that this has been going on, and I will be the first to say that I have no idea what is happening behind the scenes at FR Central, but it is very frustrating.

Perhaps the problems stems from DoS attacks, or simply a lack of hardware/bandwidth/software, but if Freepers find an alternative and start migrating it will be hard to get them back.

60 posted on 01/08/2011 6:49:00 PM PST by devane617 (NEVER feed your cats canned Tuna fish. Mercury poisoning.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

To: yellowroses
Slow like molasses in January, running up a hill covered in ice.

Slower than yesterday's gravy

61 posted on 01/08/2011 6:49:39 PM PST by llevrok (There is no such thing as the truth, only versions. - Arkady Renko)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 33 | View Replies]

Like watching paint dry.

62 posted on 01/08/2011 6:51:33 PM PST by Citizen X_Area 51 (Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it. -- Mark Twain)

To: devane617

maybe invest in some decent 21st century software......

i was a monthly contributor.......until i see some “investment” in the infrastructure i will not contribute 1 more red cent.............

63 posted on 01/08/2011 6:59:03 PM PST by is_is (VP Dad of Sgt. G - My Hero - "Sleep Well America......Your Marines have your Back")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 60 | View Replies]

To: mylife

And, here I thought FR was slow/down was because of the heavy load - because of the AZ shootings..............

64 posted on 01/08/2011 7:02:00 PM PST by yorkie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 26 | View Replies]

To: is_is; All; Jim Robinson

I agree....I think it is time that FR start allowing advertising to help defray the costs associated with such a demanding website. Maybe banner ads like Drudge would help.

Then the first phone call to make is to Oracle. Get those guys in-house to build a massive, lightning fast, database.

Unless something happens FR will quickly lose. Most of us that love FR hate the problems, but if a good alternative pops up it is human nature to move on, and it will be more than difficult to get those lost back.

Just say’n....

65 posted on 01/08/2011 7:04:42 PM PST by devane617 (NEVER feed your cats canned Tuna fish. Mercury poisoning.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 63 | View Replies]

Well, I can say that there are definitely two things that will never happen. 1) Banner ads. 2) Oracle.

And a third is a total replacement. Don’t have the financial wherewithal.

To those who wish to leave because of it, see ya. If FR dies, that’s that.

66 posted on 01/08/2011 7:11:00 PM PST by Jim Robinson (Rebellion is brewing!! Nuke the corrupt commie bastards to HELL!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 65 | View Replies]

To: All

In the mean time, John is pulling his hair out trying to find the problem. And I’m sure he eventually will. Always has. Always will.

67 posted on 01/08/2011 7:13:38 PM PST by Jim Robinson (Rebellion is brewing!! Nuke the corrupt commie bastards to HELL!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 66 | View Replies]

To: Jim Robinson

.................Well Stated.................

68 posted on 01/08/2011 7:19:19 PM PST by GitmoSailor (AZ Cold War Veteran -Yes, We Need More Money-Please Donate Soon.........)

Well, I can say that there are definitely two things that will never happen. 1) Banner ads. 2) Oracle. And a third is a total replacement. Don’t have the financial wherewithal. To those who wish to leave because of it, see ya. If FR dies, that’s that.

wow.....way to show leadership......guess we know now why FreeRepublic is going down the toilet......sad......

69 posted on 01/08/2011 7:19:59 PM PST by is_is (VP Dad of Sgt. G - My Hero - "Sleep Well America......Your Marines have your Back")

Jim, I luv ya , man...Just like Rush you were blessed with a gift, but this time you are dead wrong....

70 posted on 01/08/2011 7:24:58 PM PST by devane617 (NEVER feed your cats canned Tuna fish. Mercury poisoning.)

To: is_is

Say what?

FR is and remains the best darn website of its sort.

Sure it’s frustrating when it’s wiped out, especially on news days, but there’s no better website out there like this.

Anywhere.

71 posted on 01/08/2011 7:27:19 PM PST by Cringing Negativism Network (McCarthy was Right.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 69 | View Replies]

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

72 posted on 01/08/2011 7:27:38 PM PST by 69ConvertibleFirebird

To: mylife
Agree, as it was on Republican takeover on Wednesday.
73 posted on 01/08/2011 7:28:31 PM PST by Bronzy (We Remembered In November.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 26 | View Replies]

Very good responses now at the moment...

74 posted on 01/08/2011 7:31:39 PM PST by Cringing Negativism Network (McCarthy was Right.)

To: ErnBatavia
I'm also aware that FR has grown amazingly

Is it really growing? The volume of posts has decreased considerably since the 2008.

75 posted on 01/08/2011 7:32:11 PM PST by aimhigh (True bitter clingers cling to their guns AND their bibles.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 42 | View Replies]

To: indylindy

Still here but ready to give up. Takes forever to load and often times out. Frustrated.

76 posted on 01/08/2011 7:33:58 PM PST by bonfire
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

I think it is time to use some Freeper cash to trade in the TRS-80. The Commodore 64 is supposed to be all sorts of better. We could have FR up and running lightning fast.

77 posted on 01/08/2011 7:37:15 PM PST by Lazlo in PA (Now living in a newly minted Red State.)

Awwww it’s just slow......:o)

John will get err done Jim !

Patience isn’t just a little quaker girl !

Already back to faster mode on FR from here in the Texas Panhandle !

Stay Safe and ignore the “gimmie I want lets go’s”.... !

78 posted on 01/08/2011 7:42:57 PM PST by Squantos (Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet)

To: aimhigh

Is it really growing? The volume of posts has decreased considerably since the 2008.............................................................So has the quality, over half of them are from either the religion forum or the anti mormon threads.

79 posted on 01/08/2011 7:46:27 PM PST by eastforker (Visit me at http://www.eastforker.com)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 75 | View Replies]

A lot of antifreepers and banned folks tried and they were pale imitations often filled with bitter people....not all.......having banned a year over amnesty fight here I am familiar with alt sites........fresno herds cats well enuff and I hope they figure this out

80 posted on 01/08/2011 7:49:06 PM PST by wardaddy ("Out Here" by Josh Thompson pretty much says it all to those who will never understand anyhow)

To: VermiciousKnid

Thank you for this site information. I actually never heard of it before. I’ll be sure to put this in my favorites!

81 posted on 01/08/2011 7:50:39 PM PST by Artcore
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 54 | View Replies]

All of a sudden FR seems to be back to normal speed.

Hope it lasts.

82 posted on 01/08/2011 7:50:47 PM PST by TChad

To: Jim Robinson; John Robinson
In the mean time, John is pulling his hair out trying to find the problem. And I’m sure he eventually will. Always has. Always will.

He did! He did!

Speed-of-light thanks to both of you!

83 posted on 01/08/2011 7:52:56 PM PST by CedarDave (What is DADT? Obama's response when inquiries are made about his birth certificate.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 67 | View Replies]

To: TribalPrincess2U

This is the best place.

The formerly UK and still pretty liberal

http://www.abovetopsecret.com

site is also good on alternative news.

Sometimes FR has some things they don’t have and vice versa.

84 posted on 01/08/2011 7:59:18 PM PST by Quix (Times are a changin' INSURE you have believed in your heart & confessed Jesus as Lord Come NtheFlesh)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 51 | View Replies]

This happens every time we get big news events lately, the system gets over loaded and then we get LOTS of USELESS VANITY POST and photos SLOWING DOWN THE SYSTEM even more.

85 posted on 01/08/2011 8:02:02 PM PST by GailA (2012 rally cry DEMOCRATS and RINOS are BAD for the USA!)

What would the cost be for a total replacement or whatever equal to that, Jim?

I suspect that FREEPERS might be willing to rise to the occasion if the payoff seemed fitting accordingly.

And, it could lengthen the time it takes for John to go white headed.

86 posted on 01/08/2011 8:03:29 PM PST by Quix (Times are a changin' INSURE you have believed in your heart & confessed Jesus as Lord Come NtheFlesh)

Aren’t there some qualified AND TRUSTWORTHY FEEPERS who could help lessen his load in searching for such glitches?

We have some very skilled and smart and devoted, loyal members.

87 posted on 01/08/2011 8:04:45 PM PST by Quix (Times are a changin' INSURE you have believed in your heart & confessed Jesus as Lord Come NtheFlesh)

To: GailA

This happens every time we get big news events lately, the system gets over loaded and then we get LOTS of USELESS VANITY POST and photos SLOWING DOWN THE SYSTEM even more.

Maybe you’re right.

Today has certainly reminded me of how much I rely on FR for news and sanity! :-)

88 posted on 01/08/2011 8:08:38 PM PST by Artcore
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 85 | View Replies]

John has my sympathies. As a geek friend often remarks to new computer users: start hating it now. Unless someone has had the headache of keeping a complex computer system running they can’t have any idea what it takes, nor how difficult it can be to diagnose what the problem actually is, let alone determine how to fix it.

Thanks Jim for sticking with it even in the face of FReepers complaining. As you said, John’ll find it.

89 posted on 01/08/2011 8:10:53 PM PST by FourPeas (From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so. Ja 3:10)

Anybody who posts, “Just say’n....”, should be banned for being stupid.

90 posted on 01/08/2011 8:33:24 PM PST by Eaker (In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity. Albert Einstein)

To: Quix
I suspect that FREEPERS might be willing to rise to the occasion if the payoff seemed fitting accordingly.

I suspect you're exactly right. I still say this is the best forum software out there -- by far -- in terms of the basic user interface. Totally streamlined and usable with no wasted motion or silly features. But this slowness issue is getting old. I would definitely kick in some bucks if I knew it would go towards a solution.

91 posted on 01/08/2011 8:35:44 PM PST by Yardstick
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 86 | View Replies]

To: Jim Robinson; John Robinson
Well, I can say that there are definitely two things that will never happen. 1) Banner ads. 2) Oracle.

And a third is a total replacement. Don’t have the financial wherewithal.

To those who wish to leave because of it, see ya. If FR dies, that’s that.

Thank you Jim and John for the clean design and tight code that underpins FR. Today, just as it was on 9/11 (long before I joined), this remains my primary source for breaking news and factual, no-nonsense information.

The lack of banner ads, Flash, JavaScript and graphics are what I've always found appealing. Today, when things did get a tad sluggish, all I did on my end was fire up the venerable Lynx character-based text browser. Voila! FR was again fast and responsive. John's backend scripts and the HTML are all solid and standards compliant.

Please keep the design straightforward and dismiss the ideas of those who want useless eye candy and a radical departure from the time-tested, proven look and feel.

92 posted on 01/08/2011 8:36:00 PM PST by re_nortex (DP...that's what I like about Texas...)

To: weef
but maybe it’s time to move on now...

Yeah, you're probably right.

See ya, don't let the door ...............

93 posted on 01/08/2011 8:40:24 PM PST by Eaker (In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity. Albert Einstein)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 44 | View Replies]

To: Eaker

bite me

94 posted on 01/08/2011 8:41:47 PM PST by devane617 (NEVER feed your cats canned Tuna fish. Mercury poisoning.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 90 | View Replies]

To: Yardstick

I feel the same way and I know a LOT of other FREEPERS feel similarly.

However, dialogue about such things has always been . . . something . . . . challenging to get very far with.

CERTAINLY IT’S THE BEST ON THE NET. AND PTL AND THE ROBINSONS FOR THAT.

HOWEVER . . . .

95 posted on 01/08/2011 8:43:23 PM PST by Quix (Times are a changin' INSURE you have believed in your heart & confessed Jesus as Lord Come NtheFlesh)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 91 | View Replies]

To: re_nortex

INDEED. I MUCH AGREE.

I think the vast majority of FREEPERS agree.

96 posted on 01/08/2011 8:44:58 PM PST by Quix (Times are a changin' INSURE you have believed in your heart & confessed Jesus as Lord Come NtheFlesh)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 92 | View Replies]

LOL!

“Just say’n....”

97 posted on 01/08/2011 8:45:41 PM PST by Eaker (In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity. Albert Einstein)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 94 | View Replies]

I tried to get on after hearing of the shootings in AZ. No go until just a few minutes ago.

98 posted on 01/08/2011 9:03:25 PM PST by baseballmom (Philadelphia Phillies - 2010 NL East Champions)

To: Quix; All

Since more and more Seniors are texting and tweeting, there appears to be a need for an STC (Senior Texting Code). I know none of us qualifies as a “Senior” so just pass this along to your “older” friends.

ATD: At The Doctor’s
BTW: Bring The Wheelchair
BYOT: Bring Your Own Teeth
CBM: Covered By Medicare
CUATSC: See You At The Senior Center
DWI: Driving While Incontinent
FWB: Friend With Beta Blockers
FWIW: Forgot Where I Was
FYI: Found Your Insulin
GGPBL: Gotta Go, Pacemaker Battery Low!
GHA: Got Heartburn Again
HGBM: Had Good Bowel Movement
IMHO: Is My Hearing-Aid On?
LMDO: Laughing My Dentures Out
LOL: Living On Lipitor
LWO: Lawrence Welk’s On
OMMR: On My Massage Recliner
OMSG: Oh My! Sorry, Gas.
ROFL... CGU: Rolling On The Floor Laughing... And Can’t Get Up
TTYL: Talk To You Louder
WAITT: Who Am I Talking To?
WTFA: Wet The Furniture Again
WTP: Where’s The Prunes?
WWNO: Walker Wheels Need Oil
GGLKI: Gotta Go, Laxative Kicking In

= = =

99 posted on 01/08/2011 9:10:28 PM PST by Joya (Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 95 | View Replies]

To: Joya

I just shamelessly ripped that off and emailed it to a friend.

100 posted on 01/08/2011 9:15:15 PM PST by Nik Naym (It's not my fault... I have compulsive smartass disorder.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 99 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-100101-150151-200201-219 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson