Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Weekly Cooking Thread March 5, 2011
FreeRepublic Cooks | March 5, 2011 | libertarian27

Posted on 03/05/2011 6:12:41 AM PST by libertarian27

Welcome to the 13th installment of the FR Weekly Cooking Thread.

Looking for something new to make or made something new that came out great? Please share a 'tried-and-true' recipe or two for fellow FReepers to add to their 'go-to' recipe stack of Family favorites?

Here's the place to share and explore your next favorite recipe.

TOPICS: Chit/Chat; Food; Hobbies; Reference
KEYWORDS: cookery; cooking; food; recipes; weeklycookingthread
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101-102 next last
"I was 32 when I started cooking; up until then, I just ate."

~Julia Child~

March 5 National Cheese Doodle Day

March 6 National Frozen Food Day

March 7 National Crown Roast of Pork Day

March 8 National Peanut Cluster Day

March 9 National Crabmeat Day

March 10 National Blueberry Popover Day

March 11 National Oatmeal-Nut Waffle Day

1 posted on 03/05/2011 6:12:44 AM PST by libertarian27
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: libertarian27; FrdmLvr; TN4Liberty; Daisyjane69; HungarianGypsy; SouthDixie; illiac; EQAndyBuzz; ...

Weekly Cooking Thread Ping List

Recap of last week’s recipes:

Dessert* 3 OREO TRUFFLES
Dessert* 120 Blackberry cheese tarts
Dessert* 108 Cheese Cake Tarts
Dessert* 82 Cool Mint Oreo Cookie Balls
Dessert* 76 Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
Dessert* 13 Grandma D’s Prize Oatmeal Cookies
Dessert* 10 Kahlua Creamy Fudge
Dessert* 103 Mint Cookie Candies
Dessert* 162 No-Bake Pumpkin Pie
Dessert* 102 Pig Pickin’ Cake
Dessert* 109 Sophia Loren’s Ricotta Condita
Drink* 100 Rum Truffle
Ingredient* 92 Homemade Mozzarella
Ingredient* 119 Homemade Velveeta Cheese
Meal* 25 Baby back - regular pork ribs
Meal* 41 Carnitas
Meal* 4 chili dogs
Meal* 106 Egg Rivvels with Tomatoes
Meal* 46 Goi Tom
Meal* 96 Lasagna
Meal* 27 Lazy Pierogis with Sausage
Meal* 211 Pork Medallions with Mushroom-Dill Sauce
Meal* 9 Sausage & Peppers
Meal* 22 Sausage and Cabbage
Meal* 8 Sausage and Seafood Paella
Meal* 66 Savory Sausage and Rice
Side* 135 Artichoke Shallot Souffle
Side* 45 Grilled Asparagus
Side* 57 Orzo Salad
Side* 48 Sauted Asparagus
Soup* 184 Asparagus Soup
Soup* 126 Italian Wedding Soup

Feb 26 Thread:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/2680445/posts?page=224#224

(To be added/deleted from the Ping list just FReep mail me or request on the comment thread)

2 posted on 03/05/2011 6:15:30 AM PST by libertarian27 (Ingsoc: Department of Life, Department of Liberty, Department of Happiness)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: libertarian27

I always seem to miss contributing to these threads but I wanted to stop by and say, yours is THE most organized continuing thread I have ever seen...anywhere. You put a lot of work into cataloging it! Thank you!

3 posted on 03/05/2011 6:31:43 AM PST by tsmith130
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

This thread is one of the reasons I look forward to the weekend. LOL

Thanks for all you do!

4 posted on 03/05/2011 6:33:53 AM PST by PalmettoMason (It's easy being a menace to society when WAY OVER half the population is happy being sheep.)

Hawaiian haystacks

layer chow mein noodles, white rice, grilled chicken pieces, chicken gravy, cheese (shredded) tomatoes, diced green onions, pineapple tidbits and slivered almonds and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy

5 posted on 03/05/2011 6:34:14 AM PST by Shimmer1 (When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila and salt.)

Please add me to your ping list.

6 posted on 03/05/2011 6:35:23 AM PST by tnlibertarian (Hey D. C., tax increases are not spending cuts. Nor do tax cuts constitute increased spending.)

To: PalmettoMason; tsmith130

Thanks Guys!

It’s fun to do this thread - and educational - so many recipes, not enough days in the week:>)

All weekly recipe recaps are on my profile page for reference too (I hope I never forget my password, lol)

7 posted on 03/05/2011 6:44:14 AM PST by libertarian27 (Ingsoc: Department of Life, Department of Liberty, Department of Happiness)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: tnlibertarian

You’re added - Happy Cooking!

8 posted on 03/05/2011 6:44:52 AM PST by libertarian27 (Ingsoc: Department of Life, Department of Liberty, Department of Happiness)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Simple Wok and Woll Pinapple Chicken

I did this one night as a drunk goof but apparently it caught on in my family when they had it as leftovers. I was just too lazy to toss it so I put it in the fridge.

2 chicken breasts cubed and patted dry (to size of canned pinapple chunks)
1 can pinapple chunks (reserve juice)
1 tsp cornstarch
8 tbls terikayi sauce (split in two) could be more for your taste.
Handful unsalted peanuts or cashews.
Sesame oil.

Prep: Mix pinapple juice, teriyaki sauce and cornstarch until smooth.

In wok or pan heat sesame oil, add chicken and cook till chicken almost done. Add pinapple and nuts cook another 2-3 minutes.

Add 1/2 teriyaki sauce to pan, stir and cook another 2 minutes. Stir in juice mixture and stir until thickened.

Pour over cooked rice.

9 posted on 03/05/2011 7:02:39 AM PST by EQAndyBuzz (The way to beat a terrorist is to terrorize him.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: EQAndyBuzz

That sounds yummy, easy and quick! A definite late-night stir!

I want to go out tonight:
I have chicken, pineapple and teriyaki....
Nuts! I need to buy nuts!
(So making this tonight!)

10 posted on 03/05/2011 7:20:16 AM PST by libertarian27 (Ingsoc: Department of Life, Department of Liberty, Department of Happiness)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

Hello folks. I finally have something for you, but I have no name for it. I serve it alongside a steak, fried chicken wings, etc., or whatever and eat it like a relish.

Recipe:

1 ½ lbs of red onions sliced very thin.

1 C water
1 C oil (not olive oil)
1 C white vinegar.
1 teaspoon salt (you may or may not want to increase the salt by another tsp when you make your second batch.)
½ teaspoon sugar.

Put onions aside in a separate bowl.

Bring liquids and seasoning to a boil.

Once it boils, add the hot liquid and seasoning to the onions and NOT the other way around.

Stir the mixture until it all cools down.

Refrigerate. It will stay in good condition for several weeks.

Liquid leftover after you finish munching on the first batch can be added to the next batch; therefore there is no need to throw it away.

11 posted on 03/05/2011 7:37:15 AM PST by Gatún(CraigIsaMangoTreeLawyer)

I found a bag of fingerling potatoes at Walmart, couldn’t believe it!
Tonight I am trying
Alton Brown’s recipe for
Perfect Fingerling Potatoes

Ingredients
1 1/4 pounds kosher or rock salt (yes that is the correct amount of salt!)
2 quarts water
2 pounds small fingerling potatoes, cleaned
4 tablespoons butter, optional
Freshly ground black pepper, optional
1 tablespoon freshly chopped chives, optional
Directions

In a large pot, combine the salt, water, and potatoes and bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are fork-tender, approximately 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the pot to a cooling rack and let stand for 5 to 7 minutes. Serve as is or with butter, pepper, or chives.

12 posted on 03/05/2011 7:40:53 AM PST by kalee (The offences we give, we write in the dust; Those we take, we engrave in marble. J Huett 1658)

To: Gatún(CraigIsaMangoTreeLawyer)

We got to think up a name ~ ‘Quick Pickled Red Onion Salad’ or ‘Vinegar Red Onions’ - ‘Red Onion Salad’?

13 posted on 03/05/2011 7:54:40 AM PST by libertarian27 (Ingsoc: Department of Life, Department of Liberty, Department of Happiness)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Norma's Crackers

1 1/2 C vegetable oil
1 envelope Ranch dressing mix
1(t) red pepper flake (optional, or Tony's Creole)
1 box wheat or multigrain saltine crackers

Mix first three ingredients together. Place crackers in a plastic dish with cover, about 9 x 13, standing crackers on edge. Pour mixture over crackers, place top on dish, and shake, rotate, flip container till all crackers are covered well.

Let sit for a while, a few hours. Strangly, they don't get soggy. Good with dips, or left plain.

14 posted on 03/05/2011 8:11:37 AM PST by rightly_dividing (1 Cor. 15, 1-4)

This is one of our all time favs...

Asian Flank Steak

1 Flank steak

Marinade:

Soy sauce
Rice wine vinegar
Sesame oil
Honey
Minced garlic
Minced fresh ginger
Chinese hot oil

Mix the above ingredients together in a bowl. It should have a sweet and salty taste at the same time. Sesame oil and the hot oil should be used sparingly, or to your taste. Use half the amount of rice wine vinegar as soy sauce. I usually use two table spoons of garlic and one of ginger.

Place flank steak and marinade in a zip lock and marinate for four hours or overnight.

Heat up a grill or BBQ and cook on each side for 4-6 minutes until it reached your desired amount of being done. Medium rare is best.

Serve with your favorite side dishes.

15 posted on 03/05/2011 8:19:49 AM PST by illiac (If we don't change directions soon, we'll get where we're going)

Here’s one of our favorite recipes - Mou Shu Pork. It helps use up leftover pork roast/chops/ribs/etc. and you probably already have everything in the fridge. All the amounts and the veggies, except the meat and cabbage, are optional and up to you but here are the usual. For the meat, I used the last three leftover ribs from a recipe posted last week (btw, yum and thanks!). It may look long but it’s really quick and the wraps take no time.

MOU SHU PORK

1 lb. cooked pork, shredded or chopped
1-2 eggs
1/2 head cabbage, sliced thin
1/2 carrot, shredded with a veg peeler
1/2 onion or green onions, sliced thin or diced
handful of sliced mushrooms, fresh or canned
bamboo shoots, sliced
bean sprouts
1 T soy sauce
1-2 tsp hoisin sauce
1-2 tsp sugar
garlic
salt and pepper
water

In a large heated skillet, add the meat and stir in the eggs until just cooked. Add the remaining ingredients and stir it up. Add just enough water to keep it from sticking (at the end, you want it moist but not soupy). Cover with lid. Let the cabbage wilt and everything heat through. Stir occasionally. Adjust seasonings to taste.

WRAPS

2 1/4 C flour
1 C hot tap water
sesame oil (a must)

Stir the flour and water into a soft dough. Add a bit of flour if sticky. Divide into 16 balls (divide dough in half, divide those halves in half, divide a third time, and a fourth time to make 16 equal balls).

You will be rolling the balls out on a floured surface. Smoosh one ball in your palm (about 3”) and lay it on the floured surface. Spoon just a bit of sesame oil onto it using back of spoon to spread it near the edges. Take a second ball, smoosh, and lay it on top of the first one. Roll the pair out to about 6”.

Lay the pair into a heated skillet (I use a 6” cast iron skillet but use whatever you have). Do NOT grease skillet. Cook the wrap until it just barely starts to get light golden spots on the bottom. Flip over, and do the same. This takes seconds so stay on top of them. You want them soft and NOT crispy. You have time to quickly make the next dough pair while the current batch is cooking.

When cooked, lay the wrap on a plate to cool enough to touch. Then pull apart the pair. See, you saved time by only cooking 8 to have 16!

After cooking 4 pairs, the flour that falls into the skillet will begin to scorch so take a paper towel and dust it out and continue.

Put the meat/veggie mixture in the wraps and roll up like a burrito. Enjoy!

FYI, you can use a mexican flour tortilla but it’s just not the same animal.

16 posted on 03/05/2011 8:27:38 AM PST by bgill (Kenyan Parliament - how could a man born in Kenya who is not even a native American become the POTUS)

To: bgill

Mu Shu is one of my most liked meals. We save time by using a bag or two of cole slaw from the store. Thanks for posting...I want to try your method....sounds great!

17 posted on 03/05/2011 8:29:49 AM PST by illiac (If we don't change directions soon, we'll get where we're going)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: bgill

Yikes, forgot to add ginger to the Mou Shou Pork.

Heck, use whatever seasonings you like!

18 posted on 03/05/2011 8:31:11 AM PST by bgill (Kenyan Parliament - how could a man born in Kenya who is not even a native American become the POTUS)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: illiac

The bag of cole slaw sounds easy. I bet the bagged slaw with the shredded broccoli added would be good, too. The easier, the better!

19 posted on 03/05/2011 8:33:37 AM PST by bgill (Kenyan Parliament - how could a man born in Kenya who is not even a native American become the POTUS)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

Orange and Lemon Zest - we all know how expensive zest is, so make your own. Next time you eat/use an orange (or whatever citrus), grate off the colored part of the rind. Do not grate the white pith as that is bitter. Spread the zest onto a plate and leave it a few days to dry. Store in a spice jar or freeze in a baggie.

20 posted on 03/05/2011 8:49:01 AM PST by bgill (Kenyan Parliament - how could a man born in Kenya who is not even a native American become the POTUS)

I need a good recipe for steak rub.

21 posted on 03/05/2011 8:50:27 AM PST by smokingfrog ( BORN free - taxed to DEATH (and beyond) ...)

To: smokingfrog

Here is a steak rub that my family and friends love...

Ingredients

1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
canola oil or olive oil

How to make it

Combine all ingredients except canola oil and mix well.
When ready to grill steaks, baste steak with enough canola oil to cover all surfaces of steak.
Rub in dry rub liberally then grill steaks on both sides until desired doneness.
Enjoy

22 posted on 03/05/2011 8:55:38 AM PST by illiac (If we don't change directions soon, we'll get where we're going)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

Please add me to the PING...

23 posted on 03/05/2011 9:01:36 AM PST by NELSON111

I totally love your concern as I have had.

I received that recipe from my sister who lives in Colorado who got it from someone else, etc., but by that time had lost its name.

I’ll give you the honor of naming it, and let me know what you decide. We will go with what you decide.

Thank you so much.

By the way, the recipe called for ¼ teaspoon of hot sauce whatever. I thought the red onions gave enough heat. But that is to everyone’s individual taste.

Thank you again.

24 posted on 03/05/2011 9:13:36 AM PST by Gatún(CraigIsaMangoTreeLawyer)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

P.S.

“Red Onion Salad?”

You are the boss here. If you believe it be a salad, go ahead. Let me know. I honestly don’t know what it is.

25 posted on 03/05/2011 9:22:00 AM PST by Gatún(CraigIsaMangoTreeLawyer)

Don’t throw out those citrus peels!

CANDIED CITRUS PEELS (orange, lemon, lime, or grapefruit)

citrus peels, cut into 1/4” strips
2 C sugar
water

Put the peels into a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and let boil 15 minutes. Pour water out. Add water and boil again. Repeat once or twice more. You are pouring out some of the bitterness of the pith so repeat this depending on how bitter the peel is. If the pith is extra thick you may want to scrape some away before doing the boiling.

Make a 2:1 ratio simple sugar syrup with 2 C sugar to 1 C water. Make enough syrup to cover the peels. Add to saucepan and simmer until sort of translucent - may take up to an hour depending on the peels’ thickness.

Place a rack on a cookie sheet to catch any drips. Place peels on rack and let dry. Depending on the humidity, it will take a couple days to dry.

Eat candied peels as is. Or chop to top ice cream or decorate a frosted cake. Or chop and bake in a sugar cookie dough or a dried fruit bread. Dip strips in chocolate for a treat. Use in other recipes.

Don’t throw out the simple sugar. Use in hot or ice tea. Or in cookie and cake recipes to add flavor. Pour it into an ice cube tray and when frozen solid put the cubes into a baggie and store in the freezer until you need them.

26 posted on 03/05/2011 9:29:47 AM PST by bgill (Kenyan Parliament - how could a man born in Kenya who is not even a native American become the POTUS)

My Grandmother soaked sliced red onions in white vinegar and and let them marinate in the icebox then used them as a side dish. She brought the recipe with her from Switzerland. (She and my grandfather both walked separately across the country with an wagon train and settled in California - real pioneers) My grandfather loved them — so of course I did too.

I have used it as an inspiration to experiment with added favorites. I have a bottle of vinegar in the refrigerator now I had soaked some sliced red onions in white vinegar and some sweet Modena Balsamic. After the onions are eaten it makes a nice salad dressing with some extra virgin olive oil.

I also make my own flavored vinegars. Place some tea bags in white vinegar and you can create a $5.00 bottle of fancy vinegar out of $ 0.50 worth of white vinegar.

Delicious Avocado Salad

Slices of perfectly ripen avocado
Thin slices of shallots (not to many)
Sprinkle on some capers
Drizzle with Red Onion Balsamic Vinegar and Olive Oil

Serve on a chilled plate

27 posted on 03/05/2011 9:32:40 AM PST by grayeagle (It is never to late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot)

thanks

28 posted on 03/05/2011 9:36:49 AM PST by smokingfrog ( BORN free - taxed to DEATH (and beyond) ...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 22 | View Replies]

Yeah, I bought oranges at .15/ea so am on an orange kick. This is an old recipe I found somewhere on the net a long time ago and it’s become a hit here.

ORANGE AND SPINACH SALAD

TOPPING:
1/3 C sugar
4 tsp water
1/2 C sliced almonds

Have a square of cooking sprayed foil set aside.

In a small skillet or pan, heat the sugar and water until it turns a golden color and syrupy. Stir so it doesn’t burn. Add almonds. Stir a few seconds until they are golden. Spread out onto the sprayed foil to cool.

FYI, use a small aluminum skillet. For some reason my small 6” cast iron skillet soaks up the water and the sugar crystalizes rather than turning to syrup. But, ymmv.

DRESSING:

1/4 C vinegar (white, cider, etc.)
1/4 C olive oil
1 tsp orange zest
salt and cayenne to taste

Combine and set aside.

SALAD:

Bag of fresh baby spinach
2 oranges, peeled and sections cut into large chunks
2 celery stalks, sliced thin
1/2 onion, sliced thin
salt and pepper to taste

Put salad into bowl. Toss with the dressing. Break up the almond topping and sprinkle on top. Serve immediately.

29 posted on 03/05/2011 9:53:58 AM PST by bgill (Kenyan Parliament - how could a man born in Kenya who is not even a native American become the POTUS)

To: grayeagle

“My Grandmother soaked sliced red onions in white vinegar and and let them marinate in the icebox then used them as a side dish. She brought the recipe with her from Switzerland. (She and my grandfather both walked separately across the country with an wagon train and settled in California - real pioneers) My grandfather loved them — so of course I did too.”

Crumbs. Those are my real heroes.

Your recipe sounds great!

“I have used it as an inspiration to experiment with added favorites. I have a bottle of vinegar in the refrigerator now I had soaked some sliced red onions in white vinegar and some sweet Modena Balsamic. After the onions are eaten it makes a nice salad dressing with some extra virgin olive oil.”

“I also make my own flavored vinegars. Place some tea bags in white vinegar and you can create a $5.00 bottle of fancy vinegar out of $ 0.50 worth of white vinegar.”

I am certainly going to try the above and your Delicious Avocado Salad.

Right now we are in avocado season here in Panama. I will definitely try your recipe. Thank you for all your advice and encouragement.

30 posted on 03/05/2011 9:58:26 AM PST by Gatún(CraigIsaMangoTreeLawyer)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 27 | View Replies]

These are soooo good....my mom used to slice cucumbers and put them in with the onions....brings back great memories.....

31 posted on 03/05/2011 10:17:43 AM PST by illiac (If we don't change directions soon, we'll get where we're going)

OK, I poked around the net...and found a beautiful picture

And found a great name combination with Italian translation - so sheik!

pickled red onion salad ~~ insalata di cipolle rosse all’aceto

Fancy or what?:)

32 posted on 03/05/2011 10:40:15 AM PST by libertarian27 (Ingsoc: Department of Life, Department of Liberty, Department of Happiness)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 25 | View Replies]

To: NELSON111

You’re added to the thread ping list!

33 posted on 03/05/2011 10:42:22 AM PST by libertarian27 (Ingsoc: Department of Life, Department of Liberty, Department of Happiness)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

LOL!!!

“pickled red onion salad ~~ insalata di cipolle rosse all’aceto”

I love it!!! So it IS a pickled red onion salad as you said. You were totally right!!!

Let us stick with those two names. Thank you for your time and research.

I will be sending that along (the recipe) to my adoped daughter who lives in Milan.

I thank you a zillion times and much more.!!!

34 posted on 03/05/2011 10:59:28 AM PST by Gatún(CraigIsaMangoTreeLawyer)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 32 | View Replies]

P.S.

It is one wonderful photo.

LOL!!!

It doesn’t quite look like mine. Not enough red color in mine.

35 posted on 03/05/2011 11:02:49 AM PST by Gatún(CraigIsaMangoTreeLawyer)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 32 | View Replies]

“These are soooo good....my mom used to slice cucumbers and put them in with the onions....brings back great memories.....”

I have been thinking about doing the same thing. What I like are those seedless cucumbers, which are grown here in Panama (as well as the others with those awful fat seeds.)

36 posted on 03/05/2011 11:32:33 AM PST by Gatún(CraigIsaMangoTreeLawyer)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 31 | View Replies]

Red wine vinegar?

37 posted on 03/05/2011 12:23:01 PM PST by magslinger (What Would Stephen Decatur Do?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 35 | View Replies]

To: magslinger

“Red wine vinegar?”

No. Red wine vinegar is not really “red” as we know the color red.

38 posted on 03/05/2011 12:35:15 PM PST by Gatún(CraigIsaMangoTreeLawyer)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 37 | View Replies]

We made something similar when I catered. We called it Onion Marmalade. We served it with grilled steaks or beef or pork roasts or on top of a warm piece of brie with French bread. YUMMY!

4 medium red onions, halved and thinly sliced
3 sprigs rosemary, leaves chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Prepare an outdoor grill with a hot fire for indirect grilling or preheat oven to 375-400deg F.

For the marmalade: On a large sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil (or a doubled piece of regular), toss the onions with the rest of the marmalade ingredients. Bring edges of foil up and crimp closed. Place package on the edge of the grill (over medium-high heat) or on baking sheet. Cook, turning the sealed package every now and then so the onions cook evenly until meltingly tender, about 45-50 minutes.

39 posted on 03/05/2011 12:39:11 PM PST by kalee (The offences we give, we write in the dust; Those we take, we engrave in marble. J Huett 1658)

To: kalee

Thank you so much for that recipe.

I will be trying it in a couple of weeks. My kitchen is being redone from top to bottom to include stove and oven...everything is going into the trash. The refigerator follows.

I will try it in a couple of weeks.

Thank you again.

40 posted on 03/05/2011 1:13:39 PM PST by Gatún(CraigIsaMangoTreeLawyer)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 39 | View Replies]

I love this thread! I look forward to reading it every week. Thank you so much for starting it!

41 posted on 03/05/2011 1:26:47 PM PST by FrdmLvr (Death to tyrants)

To: All

When I read that today was National Cheese Doodle Day I thought about one of my family’s favorite finger foods for for movie night or holiday gatherings.

Cheesy Bacon Bites

Ingredients

Puff Pastry Sheets
Garlic Powder or minced Garlic
Grated Parmesan Cheese
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Crumbled Bacon

Thaw puff pastry sheets according to package directions. Roll out pastry just enough to get the kinks out of them so you have a smooth sheet of pastry. Sprinkle with the remaining ingredients. I just eyeball the quantity but it doesn’t take much of any of the remaining ingredients, just enough to make a thin layer of the filling. I then roll them as you would a jelly roll or like elephant ears. Either way works fine and both make a pretty presentation.

If I am making these for company I wrap the roll in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes so they are easier to cut and retain the shape, but when I make them for the family they usually want them made yesterday and don’t care if their shape isn’t perfect.

I slice them in 1/4” slices and lay them out on a baking sheet. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes, but watch them closely as they cook fast.

You can substitute with just about any cheese and meat combo as long as the meat is cooked. I have used salami, ham, bbq pork and even ground beef in these instead of the bacon. Just dot the surface with a small amount of whatever you like. I also sometimes add chopped chives and.or parsley to the filling.

For a sweeter filling you can brush them with butter and sprinkle with nuts, cinnamon and sugar, raisins, or even jam. I line the baking sheet with parchment paper, when I use jam, however, because they tend to stick if I don’t use it.

If you don’t have puff pastry, you can make your own dough, or use a package of crescent rolls, or breadsticks, and just roll it out into a sheet.

Enjoy!

42 posted on 03/05/2011 2:16:45 PM PST by Flamenco Lady
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 41 | View Replies]

I posted my recipe in the FReeper Canteen a few days ago. Here it is:

Trillian’s Cream of Cheesy Potato Soup

1 tablespoon of butter
1 teaspoon of olive oil
1 medium sweet onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 carrot, diced
1 stalk of celery, diced
5-6 medium potatoes, skinned and cubed
Salt and pepper to taste
Enough homemade chicken stock and water to fill pot

1- 1/1/2 cups of half & half or whole milk to taste (you can also use cream if you want)
1 stick of butter and equal parts flour to make roux
2 cups of shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 lb of cooked bacon, minced

In a large soup pot (mine holds 18 cups) saute onions in butter and olive oil for a few minutes.
Add garlic, carrots and celery and saute for a few minutes more. Add potatoes and then saute for a few minutes constantly stirring.
Add a mixture of chicken stock and water to taste until the liquid reaches about 1-2 inches from top of pot.
Salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium and simmer for 45 minutes.
Stir in milk or cream until well blended.

In a medium saucepan melt stick of butter and slowly mix in flour with whisk. It should form a thick paste.
Slowly start to ladle the soup into the medium pan continuing to mix with whisk until it starts to thicken. Pour it into the big soup pot and continue stirring with whisk until all the soup starts thickening. It should have the consistency between soup and gravy, not too thick.
Add cheese and stir until completely melted. Take off heat and stir in bacon.

Serve with homemade bread toasted in the oven.

I hope this helps, it’s not really exact which is how most of my recipes are since I do it by look, feel and taste.
Turkey stock works well with this too, I usually make some after thanksgiving using the bones.

Tonight I am making frittelle (also called panzerotti).. Italian fried pizza pockets.

Homemade pizza dough rolled into circles, filled with tomato sauce, mozzarella (or whatever else you want), pinched closed and deep fried at 350F until delicious.
A huge favorite around here.

43 posted on 03/05/2011 2:35:06 PM PST by Trillian

To: Trillian

Here’s a neat little video of someone making one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m17gsFg7bmc

I make them just a bit smaller than that.

44 posted on 03/05/2011 2:46:28 PM PST by Trillian
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 43 | View Replies]

To: Trillian

Mmm, that sounds good!

I like your ingredient combos and method - will give this a try next time.

I’m a Cheeseburg Chowder Addict! and that would be perfect with ground cooked hamburger thrown in -instead of-*Oh, horrors! what was I typing?!*....WITH the bacon!

45 posted on 03/05/2011 2:55:10 PM PST by libertarian27 (Ingsoc: Department of Life, Department of Liberty, Department of Happiness)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 43 | View Replies]

Tangy Red Onions?

46 posted on 03/05/2011 6:06:12 PM PST by Netizen (Day 15 of the Wisconsin legislature held hostage., and yet another deadline is issued...)

I’ve been looking at pickled red onion recipes and I’m thrown off. None use that much oil in them. Is that a typo?

47 posted on 03/05/2011 6:14:03 PM PST by Netizen (Day 15 of the Wisconsin legislature held hostage., and yet another deadline is issued...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 34 | View Replies]

Got this from the Swanson’s website:

Spicy Mexican Minestrone Stew

1/2 pound sweet Italian pork sausage, casing removed
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups Swanson® Beef Broth or Swanson® Beef Stock (full can)
1 can (about 14.5 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, cut up
1 1/2 cups Pace® Picante Sauce
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (heaping) or 1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup uncooked medium shell-shaped pasta
1 package (about 10 ounces) frozen cut green beans, thawed (about 2 cups)
1 can (about 15 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Shredded Monterey Jack cheese or mozzarella cheese

Shape the sausage firmly into 1/2-inch meatballs. Didn’t do this!
Heat the oil in a 4-quart saucapan over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook until they’re well browned on all sides. Remove the meatballs from the saucepan. Pour off any fat.
Stir the broth, tomatoes, picante sauce and garlic powder in the saucepan and heat to a boil. Stir in the pasta. Return the meatballs to the saucepan. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often.
Stir in the green beans and kidney beans. Cook for 10 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through and the pasta is tender, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with the cheese before serving, if desired.

RECIPE TIPS
Easy Substitution: Substitute 1 can (about 16 ounces) cut green beans, drained, for the frozen.
Time-Saving: For quicker preparation, omit the first step and cook the sausage over medium-high heat until it’s well browned, stirring often to separate meat. Leave the sausage in the skillet and pour off any fat. Proceed with the remainder of the recipe as directed. (This is what I did)

48 posted on 03/05/2011 7:22:15 PM PST by Magnolia

Thank you for all of your hard work! We’ve been on the road. Hopefully will be able to stop by summer. Godspeed!

49 posted on 03/05/2011 7:40:05 PM PST by Silentgypsy

To: Netizen

“None use that much oil in them. Is that a typo?”

Sorry for the late reply.

No, it is not a typo. But I would appreciate it if you could give me the amount called for in the receipes you read. The recipe I offered could very well do with less oil. It could very well be a tad oily.

Thank you.

50 posted on 03/06/2011 4:43:58 AM PST by Gatún(CraigIsaMangoTreeLawyer)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 47 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101-102 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson