Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Weekly Cooking Thread March 19, 2011
FreeRepublicCooks | March 19, 2011 | libertarian27

Posted on 03/19/2011 6:24:41 AM PDT by libertarian27

Welcome to the 15th installment of the FR Weekly Cooking Thread.

Looking for something new to make or made something new that came out great? Please share a 'tried-and-true' recipe or two - or six for fellow FReepers to add to their 'go-to' recipe stack of Family favorites?

Here's the place to share and explore your next favorite recipe.

TOPICS: Chit/Chat; Food; Hobbies; Reference
KEYWORDS: cooking; food; recipes; weeklycookingthread
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101 next last
I cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food. ~W.C. Fields~

March 19 National Chocolate Carmel Day

March 20 National Ravioli Day

March 21 National French Bread Day

March 22 National Bavarian Crepes Day

March 23 National Chip and Dip Day

March 24 National Chocolate Covered Raisins Day

March 25 National Lobster Newburg Day

1 posted on 03/19/2011 6:24:45 AM PDT by libertarian27
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: libertarian27; FrdmLvr; TN4Liberty; Daisyjane69; HungarianGypsy; SouthDixie; illiac; EQAndyBuzz; ...

Weekly Cooking Thread Ping List
(to be added/deleted - post on this thread or drop me a PM)

Last week’s thread recipe recap:

Appetizer* 34 Crab Stuffed Mushrooms/Shrimp Stuffed Mushrooms
Appetizer* 61 Curry Deviled Eggs
Dessert* 59 Irish Bananas
Dessert* 81 Espresso Chocolate Chip Shortbread
Meal* 3 Seared Mahi Mahi with Zesty Basil Butter
Meal* 15 SEAFOOD GUMBO
Meal* 16 Cedar Planked Salmon
Meal* 60 Something Fishy Going On (Seafood Stew)
Meal* 64 Boiled Corned Beef and Cabbage Dinner
Meal* 73 Finnish Easy Meat and Cabbage Loaf.
Meal* 80 Butterfield Chicken
Side* 14 Cooked Cabbage
Soup* 65 Best Split Pea Soup Ever

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/2687671/posts?page=86#86

2 posted on 03/19/2011 6:27:02 AM PDT by libertarian27 (Ingsoc: Department of Life, Department of Liberty, Department of Happiness)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: libertarian27

Hi!! I’ll take a serving of Ping please.

3 posted on 03/19/2011 6:30:59 AM PDT by VaRepublican (I would propagate taglines but I don't know how. But bloggers do.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

BUMP for tonight to catch up. Off to work to support the Unionistas in my town via my tax dollars. Lucky me, LOL!

4 posted on 03/19/2011 6:38:20 AM PDT by Diana in Wisconsin (I don't have 'Hobbies.' I'm developing a robust post-Apocalyptic skill set...)

To: VaRepublican

Coming right up
Your order has been taken.

Here’s your ticket: #162 :>)

5 posted on 03/19/2011 6:48:28 AM PDT by libertarian27 (Ingsoc: Department of Life, Department of Liberty, Department of Happiness)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Tarte Flambe, an Alsatian dish, is one my family likes. Slice 1 medium onion. Mix onion with 12 oz cottage cheese, add 6 oz heavy cream and let sit at least 4 hours (overnight is best). Fry half pound of bacon -- cut into small bits one quarter inch in length (approx). Take your favorite pizza dough (thin, thick, whatever -- I use frozen bread dough usually) and shape like a pizza. Spread the cottage cheese/onion/cream mixture evenly and sprinkle bacon pieces on.

Cook in oven at 400 degrees for about 17 minutes, or until dough is done.

Serve with a glass of German or Alsatian Riesling.

6 posted on 03/19/2011 6:55:18 AM PDT by mlocher (Is it time to cash in before I am taxed out?)

Hershey’s Old Fashioned Fudge:
(better and cheaper than the choc morsel recipes)

Ingredients

3 cups sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa ( Hershey’s)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup butter ( half stick)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

1. Line an 8 or 9 inch square pan with aluminum foil, butter the foil.
2. Mix sugar, cocoa, and salt in a 4 quart saucepan, add milk.(I sifted the cocoa, salt and sugar into the pot - breaks down cocoa chunks and toss large sugar crystals)
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a full boil.(wooden spoon - not metal - once boiling - stop stirring)
4. Boil without stirring until mixture reaches 234 degrees F on a candy thermometer (soft ball stage).(Buy a candy thermometer - it’s worth it)
5. Remove from heat, add butter and vanilla, do not stir.
6. Cool at room temperature to 110 degrees.(Very Important step and will shorten the next step - your arm will thank you)
7. Beat with a wooden spoon until fudge begins to thicken and loses its gloss.(Once the ‘gloss’ is gone put it in a pan quickly or it could freeze up on you)
8. Spread quickly into pan, let cool to room temperature, cut into squares.

Find other people to help you eat the fudge or you’ll eat the whole pan - experience talkin’ :>)

7 posted on 03/19/2011 6:59:48 AM PDT by libertarian27 (Ingsoc: Department of Life, Department of Liberty, Department of Happiness)

To: mlocher

you said fry a half pound of bacon? I think I’m gonna like this food pingy thing. I know you had other ingredients I will go back and read but in true FR fashion I posted b4 reading the whole thing.

8 posted on 03/19/2011 7:02:22 AM PDT by VaRepublican (I would propagate taglines but I don't know how. But bloggers do.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: VaRepublican; mlocher

LOL, I stopped at the bacon part too :>)

That recipe sounds awesome!
Must make - Must make - Must make, etc.

9 posted on 03/19/2011 7:06:58 AM PDT by libertarian27 (Ingsoc: Department of Life, Department of Liberty, Department of Happiness)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

OK I wrote this for my daughter take it for humor and a good roast, I’m sure folks have their own way but this works for me.

Welcome to the dad’s prime rib page

You will purchase a four bone rib roast
At least because to have less than four is a waste of my time!!
Oh and obviously you will purchase your roast with the bone in fool.
Ok so prep…
This is what I do which means nothing but it seems to be a good starting point.

One medium bulb of garlic, two or three shallots because I like to say I used shallots. Maybe about a quarter of a good Vidalia or sweet onion just for more onion’s, about a half cup of good olive oil cause I said so. Ground pepper, Kosher salt, seems to be bigger, parsley, a little sprinkle of cayenne pepper cause I like it, a little paprika, not really sure why but I like it so just do it. Got to put some butter in the mix, room temp about half a stick. Food process until chunky smooth paste develops.

Ok a little more prep, this prep is on the roast. Your beautiful piece o meat is of course not frozen, now with bone side down make some slits thru the exposed fat, don’t be afraid just cut it damnit. Try to only cut into the fat and not the actual meat, a good trimmed roast can have as much as a half inch o fat.

Take yer chunky paste and slather it all over that there roast making sure you push some o the paste into the slits you made. Now wrap that baby tightly in saran wrap and put in fridge for a day.

Day Two

Hey! let that fine piece o meat come to room temp makes for more even cooking. This can take upwards of a couple hours.

Get yourself a good roasting pan, bigger than your roast. Unwrap roast and put bone side down. Many folks debate this next part but here’s how the dad does it.
You will preheat the oven to 450 and then when at temp you will put that fine piece o meat into the oven, not on center position, move that rack down a couple o notches, you will cook at this temp for 15 minutes and then you will move temp to 320 to 325 up to You. Lower temp makes it take a bit longer but slow is good.

This is THE most important part, Roasts will take a while, two and a half to 3 and a half hours depending on size but time is not the determining factor.
Make sure you have a quality meat thermometer insert into center but not touching any bones and monitor that temp.
125 degrees- rare
133 degrees- medium rare
All other temps are unnecessary as if one were to cook ones Prime rib medium then one should be shot. I will not even discuss cooking it well, ewwwwwe.

After you pull the roast let it sit for at least 15 minutes it seems silly but it does matter, now stand the roast with the bones being vertical, cut the roast away from the bones, it’s easy you’ll see as you cut.

Now cut into desired thickness and lay flat, a little salt and pepper on each piece to season and viola it’s time to eat.

10 posted on 03/19/2011 7:13:10 AM PDT by VaRepublican (I would propagate taglines but I don't know how. But bloggers do.)

Soda Cracker Pie:

Crust
3 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
14 saltines, rolled fine
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

Topping
1 cup whipped cream
1 (10 ounce) box frozen strawberries, thawed and strained

Directions:

1 Beat egg whites, slowly add sugar. Beat until stiff. Add the rest of the ingredients. Pour into a WELL GREASED 9 1/2 inch pie plate. Bake at 325 for 40 minutes.

2 When cool, top with mixture of whipped cream and strawberries.

My grandmother was a wonderful cook. Even in her “town” house (as opposed to her farm house) she had two kitchens. One on the main floor for day to day cooking, and another in the basement for canning and preserving. After her death, my mother and I were cleaning out the cupboards in the basement kitchen. We found recipe box after recipe box. When my mom found this recipe, she almost did a cartwheel! I looked at the recipe and thought, “ok, this doesn’t really sound all that good....” Mom told me, “wait til you try it!!” It’s now one of my favorite desserts. The crust is dense and somewhat salty, which perfectly balances the creamy sweetness of the topping.

11 posted on 03/19/2011 7:14:59 AM PDT by dnandell (I don't need no stinkin' tagline)

I have some large 9” diameter flour tortillas. Anyone know what to do with them? I don’t want them cut up or hidden in enchiladas but a recipe that will show off their size since I normally don’t ever buy that size.

12 posted on 03/19/2011 7:15:28 AM PDT by bgill (Kenyan Parliament - how could a man born in Kenya who is not even a native American become the POTUS)

I’d like to post a recipe from the Coal Mining region of Pennsylvania. My parents grew up there and especially enjoyed BAR ROOM BOLOGNA. It is essentially a pickled bologna that is a bit spicy and goes wonderfully well on crackers with mustard. It is really good.

BAR ROOM BOLOGNA
1 Ring Bologna (not available everywhere but you can always ask for it)
1 tbsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
3/4 cup water

Cut the ring bologna into slices about 2” each. Place all ingredients in a glass jar. We use a large pickle jar. Refrigerate for at least two days and it is ready. In my experience, the longer they process in the fridge, the better. This is great for snacks/finger food/football parties/tailgating etc... ENJOY!!

13 posted on 03/19/2011 7:22:27 AM PDT by momtothree

Here is something very simple that I like to do.

Blanch asparagus spears and drain.

In a skillet, reduce 3/4 cup of white wine.(reduce to about 1/4 cup)
Add 1/3 stick of butter, reduce heat.
Stir into an emulsion and add asparagus.
Toss to coat.

14 posted on 03/19/2011 7:29:23 AM PDT by mylife (Opinions: $1.00 ~ Halfbaked: 50c)

You may add crushed garlic before deglazing with the wine if that flutters your putter ☺
15 posted on 03/19/2011 7:32:36 AM PDT by mylife (Opinions: $1.00 ~ Halfbaked: 50c)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: VaRepublican
125 degrees- rare
133 degrees- medium rare
All other temps are unnecessary as if one were to cook ones Prime rib medium then one should be shot. I will not even discuss cooking it well, ewwwwwe.

100% in agreement, anything past med-rare on a prime rib is sacrilegious! I'll even go as far as 115-120' for rare (will cook more as it sits in waiting)

16 posted on 03/19/2011 7:33:29 AM PDT by libertarian27 (Ingsoc: Department of Life, Department of Liberty, Department of Happiness)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: mlocher

Oh Lord that sounds good!

17 posted on 03/19/2011 8:23:37 AM PDT by spitter
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

No date. No cooking this weekend. :o( But I will make a steak with a veggie solo tonight...

18 posted on 03/19/2011 8:29:12 AM PDT by goseminoles

To: bgill

A little hole in the wall serves a dish called cheese crisp.
Fry the tortilla just until it puffs up slightly then drain on paper towels. Next, top it with 2 or 3 different shredded cheese, then a handful of chopped onions scattered evenly, followed by a Tbls or 2 of your favorite salsa then pop it in the microwave to melt the cheese. Finish it with several slices of jalapeno.

19 posted on 03/19/2011 8:33:44 AM PDT by spitter
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: mylife

“Blanch asparagus spears and drain.”

Yumm. And its proper etiquette to eat with your fingers. However, your pee may stink. :o)

20 posted on 03/19/2011 8:35:45 AM PDT by goseminoles
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: goseminoles

It’s worth it!

21 posted on 03/19/2011 8:43:48 AM PDT by mylife (Opinions: $1.00 ~ Halfbaked: 50c)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

To: mylife

Every bite! :o)

22 posted on 03/19/2011 8:48:54 AM PDT by goseminoles
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

Bummer about the no date weekend, but this will give you the opportunity to load as much Gorgonzola cheese on your steak as humanly possible - with a side of baked garlic bulb :>)

23 posted on 03/19/2011 8:51:15 AM PDT by libertarian27 (Ingsoc: Department of Life, Department of Liberty, Department of Happiness)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

To: spitter

Yeah, I do that with the regular sized tortillas. Also, fry them in a little oil until the puff and sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on them for dessert. Can’t think of the name though.

24 posted on 03/19/2011 8:51:15 AM PDT by bgill (Kenyan Parliament - how could a man born in Kenya who is not even a native American become the POTUS)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

To: momtothree

Bar Room Bologna - You can do the same with vienna sausages or hard boiled eggs.

25 posted on 03/19/2011 8:57:57 AM PDT by bgill (Kenyan Parliament - how could a man born in Kenya who is not even a native American become the POTUS)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

We use our tortillas of that size for fajitas (chicken) most of the time. Just cut chicken breats into thin slices and fry in 1/2 olive oil, 1/2 butter and sprinkle with a little fajita seasoning. When the chicken is done, fry up some sliced bell peppers and sliced onions. Add the chicken back in to get it warm, sprinkle a little more fajita seasoning over the entire mixture and stir well. Spoon into the tortillas, add grated cheese, sour cream, salsa, fold the tortilla over and enjoy....yummy.

26 posted on 03/19/2011 9:00:27 AM PDT by illiac (If we don't change directions soon, we'll get where we're going)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

with a side of baked garlic bulb :>)

OK, by now you should no not to tease like that. Now all the garlic heads want the recipe. My wife will appreciate any new garlic ideas. Thanks.

27 posted on 03/19/2011 9:57:39 AM PDT by rightly_dividing (1 Cor. 15, 1-4)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

The pickled eggs were also called “bar room eggs”. This was before real menus were at the corner bars. However, they had the eggs and bologna to nibble on.

28 posted on 03/19/2011 10:00:45 AM PDT by momtothree
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 25 | View Replies]

To: rightly_dividing

Baked Garlic Bulb

I use elephant garlic....set it in foil, drizzle with olive oil, close the foil tightly around the bulb, put in oven and bake at 400 degrees for 45 - 60 minutes. Will spread like butter. We spread it on french read....good...and simple.

29 posted on 03/19/2011 10:05:47 AM PDT by illiac (If we don't change directions soon, we'll get where we're going)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 27 | View Replies]

To: illiac

read = bread

30 posted on 03/19/2011 10:06:30 AM PDT by illiac (If we don't change directions soon, we'll get where we're going)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

I don’t have a baked garlic bulb recipe - you just kind of do it - lol

Um, cut off a bit of the tops of the garlic bulb to expose some of the flesh - put on aluminum foil - drizzle some olive oil over top(not really needed) -(salt n pepper if you wish-or not)- wrap foil tight around the bulb and throw in the oven for @30 minutes (until soft) at @ 350’

It’s like baking a potato in foil :>)

Eat straight or smear on bread - I vote for the bread!

31 posted on 03/19/2011 10:11:19 AM PDT by libertarian27 (Ingsoc: Department of Life, Department of Liberty, Department of Happiness)

Had this at a San Francisco ball game one day and had to find a way to make it.

40 Clove Garlic Chicken

• 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon black pepper
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 2 tablespoons paprika
• 1 tablesppon sugar (optional)
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 6 chicken thighs, or breasts (your choice)
• 40 cloves garlic, peeled (about 3 heads of garlic)
• 3 stalks celery, diced
• 1 medium onion, sliced
• 3 Tbs Cognac
• 1 cup dry white wine
• 1 cup chicken broth / Stock
• 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
• 2 sprigs fresh thyme
• 2 bay leaves

How To make 40 Clove Garlic Chicken

1.to peel the garlic more easily, you can drop the cloves into boiling water for 60 seconds. They squeeze right out of their skins.
2.Preheat oven to 180 degrees C / 375 degrees F.
3.Make a seasoned flour mix by combining the flour, paprika, salt, pepper and sugar in a large plastic bag
4.Place 1 chicken thigh at a time in the flour mix and shake the bag to coat the chicken.
5.Heat oil in a large ovenproof pan (such as a cast-iron pot)over a medium-high heat.
6.Brown chicken on both sides to seal in the juices and then remove from the pan.
7.Add garlic, celery and onion; saute until lightly browned. The smell is heavenly if you are a garlic lover, if not then this will be overpowering.
8.Add wine, cognac, chicken broth, and herbs, then place the browned chicken thighs on top, skin side up;bring to a simmer.
9.Cover the pan and transfer to the oven and cook for a further 45 minutes.

32 posted on 03/19/2011 10:15:16 AM PDT by illiac (If we don't change directions soon, we'll get where we're going)

OK, thanks. That is essentially the same as my wife calls roasted garlic. She slices the top end off a dozen garlic bulbs, places them into a muffin pans and drizzles olive oil over them and roasts them for an hour or so. Then she squishes the individual closes out of the skins and places them into a jar and fills it with olive oil. Then it is used for anything needing garlic flavor, and it is spreadable when mashed. She uses it in sauces, on crackers, and in recipes.

33 posted on 03/19/2011 10:16:03 AM PDT by rightly_dividing (1 Cor. 15, 1-4)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

The Hershey’s Old Fashioned fudge is what I grew up with- we usually made it in the winter, putting it on the wide porch railing to cool. If it is beaten right it is glossy. If not, it is grainy. In the day of “good cooks” grainy was totally unacceptable except to us kids who thought it was just as good.

This is still my preferred recipe if I am going to make fudge.

34 posted on 03/19/2011 10:17:14 AM PDT by handmade
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

I sure like the olive oil idea....will make some today....can hardly wait....THANKS

35 posted on 03/19/2011 10:17:37 AM PDT by illiac (If we don't change directions soon, we'll get where we're going)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 33 | View Replies]

Wow, thanks that was right on time. My wife said that she has been hearing of 40 clove garlic chicken. Your recipe has all her favorites ingrediants, too, like lots of celery, garlic,of course, olive oil, onion, rosemary and chicken. I can see us having this one night soon, like maybe tomorrow.

36 posted on 03/19/2011 10:22:46 AM PDT by rightly_dividing (1 Cor. 15, 1-4)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 32 | View Replies]

your pee might stink

Well yeah, that has been mentioned before on this list. An odd green color too. However nobody goes around smelling my pee since at the proper time it goes into the proper recepticle and is whisked away to some never never land, where I also do not visit.

Now asparagus on the other hand, how can one live without it? That would include tender stalks right out of the garden before you even hit the house.

Yummmy

37 posted on 03/19/2011 10:27:27 AM PDT by handmade
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

That sounds really good.

The 40 clove chicken we do is just fryer cut up into eight pieces, seasoned with salt and pepper. It gets browned on high heat with three tbsp of olive oil in a cast iron skillet, about 4-5 minutes a side.

Pour in a half cup olive oil, 40 peeled garlic cloves and some thyme. I used dried, probably about a tbsp total.

Cover and put in a 350 degree oven, center rack, for one and a half hours. Make sure you’ve got a nice loaf of bread to spread the garlic on.

It’s an Alton Brown recipe.

38 posted on 03/19/2011 10:28:30 AM PDT by M1911A1

They may be done before an hour. She said that she cooks at about 250* for 30 minutes or so, just till they are soft and brownish looking.

39 posted on 03/19/2011 10:30:29 AM PDT by rightly_dividing (1 Cor. 15, 1-4)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 35 | View Replies]

“this will give you the opportunity to load as much Gorgonzola cheese on your steak as humanly possible -”

Is that yummy??

40 posted on 03/19/2011 10:30:29 AM PDT by goseminoles
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

To: M1911A1

Love most of Alton’s food.....

41 posted on 03/19/2011 10:31:19 AM PDT by illiac (If we don't change directions soon, we'll get where we're going)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 38 | View Replies]

To: handmade

“Now asparagus on the other hand, how can one live without it?”

I’m not sure.. About 3 minutes in a 1/4 inch of boiling water and I’m in heaven...

42 posted on 03/19/2011 10:32:47 AM PDT by goseminoles
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 37 | View Replies]

This roasted garlic thing is really making me hungry....

43 posted on 03/19/2011 10:33:19 AM PDT by illiac (If we don't change directions soon, we'll get where we're going)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 39 | View Replies]

I have printed your recipe and it is in her hands. Thanks.

44 posted on 03/19/2011 10:33:40 AM PDT by rightly_dividing (1 Cor. 15, 1-4)

Thanks. I never assume anything in cooking. A little differant name could well be something entirely new in cooking. And we are always looking for garlic uses.

45 posted on 03/19/2011 10:37:14 AM PDT by rightly_dividing (1 Cor. 15, 1-4)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 31 | View Replies]

It’s wicked yummy!!!!

For some reason I thought I didn’t like Bleu Cheese and Gorgonzola cheese when I was a kid (I love cheese)...so I didn’t eat it for years - then hubby and I went to this fancy-schmancy restaurant that had a warm Gorgonzola sauce/glaze for their steaks - I was hooked at jump street!

Even straight gorgonzola/bleu on steaks is great - with the heat of the steak melting the cheeses just so....mmmm

Darn - now I want steak - I have to go to the store.....

46 posted on 03/19/2011 10:37:52 AM PDT by libertarian27 (Ingsoc: Department of Life, Department of Liberty, Department of Happiness)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 40 | View Replies]

Garlic Shrimp with Linguine

Here is a little twist to a simple recipe that any shrimp lover is sure to enjoy! With ingredients that are easily accessible and directions that are easy even for the novice chef. So get ready to wow your family and have them ask for seconds!

Salt
1 pound linguine
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 pound small shrimp, peeled, deveined and halved
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1/4 cup lemon juice
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced

1. Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add 1 Tbsp salt and the pasta and cook until done over high boil.

2. Meanwhile, place the oil and garlic in a large skillet and cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Add the shrimp, lemon zest and lemon juice; saute until the shrimp turn pink, about 3-4 minutes. Be careful to stir constantly so that the shrimp will cook evenly and watch for over-cooking. The shrimp need to be tender, not rubbery. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

3. Drain pasta, saving about 1/2 cup of liquid. Combine pasta and shrimp mixture, adding just enough of the reserve liquid to moisten the dish. Serve immediately.

TIPS: Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and add a piece of garlic toast!

47 posted on 03/19/2011 10:44:03 AM PDT by illiac (If we don't change directions soon, we'll get where we're going)

“Darn - now I want steak - I have to go to the store.....”

Now I have to go to the store for cheese.. Its mutual. :o)

48 posted on 03/19/2011 10:50:28 AM PDT by goseminoles
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 46 | View Replies]

Now I have to go to the store for cheese.. Its mutual. :o)

LOL(for real, woke my dog up:)

Just as well, I have to pick up pizza dough, cottage cheese and cream for the Tarte Flambe recipe above :>)

49 posted on 03/19/2011 11:05:10 AM PDT by libertarian27 (Ingsoc: Department of Life, Department of Liberty, Department of Happiness)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 48 | View Replies]

Perfect Chicken Thighs

Take 4 chicken thighs and brine them for 1-2 hours in a
mixture of:
1 quart cool water
1/4 cup table salt
1/2 cup sugar

Rinse, pat dry and coat with seasoned flour.
Heat some oil in an oven proof frying pan and brown the chicken pieces for 10 minutes on each side over medium to
medium high heat (not too hot, the sugar in the brine may
scorch).
Place pan in 400 degree oven for another 10 minutes to finish. Just remember, 10 - 10 - 10 and they’re done.
Serve with green beans and rice pilaf with a glass of wine.

50 posted on 03/19/2011 11:19:38 AM PDT by dainbramaged ( I was really too honest a man to be a politician and live-Socrates)

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson